Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is a question I asked on facebook and I wanted to see if anyone here had thoughts on it. I have been asking for the answer for years and THINK I found it!

Luke 4:25-27
25 But I tell you of a truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elias, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when great famine was throughout all the land;26 But unto none of them was Elias sent, save unto Sarepta, a city of Sidon, unto a woman that was a widow.27 And many lepers were in Israel in the time of Eliseus the prophet; and none of them was cleansed, saving Naaman the Syrian.

Why would God help only the one widow and why would He only help Naaman?

Reactions: psalms 91

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all, we should not look to the OT to understand this present age of Grace. The other thing is to see that God knows every man, and in His "foreknowledge" He knows who will bow to Him sometime or not. He elects those who will be saved, and shows mercies along the way until that one finally surrenders to Him. Not everyone that says: "Lord, Lord" shall be saved, as Jesus said.

Thankfully God shows mercy to some souls even among the evil ones, and sometimes it is to teach a lesson to all. One has said: "a seeking sinner and a seeking Savior will always meet". We just need to be among those faithful seekers ---right?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The reason God that God helped only the one widow and Naaman the Syrian is that He is God.

God chose Noah and his family out of the world's population. He chose Abraham to be the founder of His righteous people. He saved Lot out of Sodom. He saved Israel but then kept only a few to be His people. And so on.

Fortunately that covenant is over and now all are welcome to join God's family and be saved.

Upvote 0
Y

YeshuaIsLord

Here's a thought to ponder, I have come to realise more recently that, it's not so much God been the sender that's the problem so to speak, rather it's us been the receiver.

We are told in Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

All of our blessings are already there, in heavenly places, situated in this place is all the help we need, problem is we ask God to come down to us (when he already has) rather than coming up to him.

I see it more as, rather than waiting on God, God is waiting on us, a rather poor example is, a TV transmission can be on all the time, but to receive it, the TV must be switched on and tuned in, if it's not switched on our tuned in, no amount of pleading with the engineer of the transmitter will fix the problem, he will just state, switch on and tune in!

Obviously there are times when we can be asking God for seemingly good things but our heart be wrong towards it, but when we are switched on and tuned in the light of God will reveal this also.

Upvote 0

jbearnolimits

Pastor
Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the answer really does depend on faith. Because without faith it is impossible to please God. The Bible also says that a double minded man should not expect to get anything from God.

The widow here may have been the only one with enough faith to give away her last meal. Naaman didn't have enough faith to be healed and would have missed the blessing... but he obeyed in faith. Even Abraham was said to have been chosen because God knew he would follow Him.

Now this just scratches the surface of the topic though. Because the questions come about what faith is and how you can operate in it. It is really a huge topic!

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just getting a good start on my in depth study of prayer but so far I can tell you this....God does what God does, that is to say, to bring about His purpose....Isaiah 46:11 From the east I summon a bird of prey; from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose. What I have said, that I will bring about; what I have planned, that I will do.

Isaiah 14:24
The LORD Almighty has sworn, "Surely, as I have planned, so it will be, and as I have purposed, so it will happen.

as Job found out, that is not something we can know or understand.

However, there is another aspect to this as well...consider...Isaiah 1:15
When you spread out your hands in prayer, I hide my eyes from you; even when you offer many prayers, I am not listening. Your hands are full of blood!

John 9:31
We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly person who does his will.

Not saying He does not answer a sinners prayer for salvation...just thought I better point that out.

Job 35:13
Indeed, God does not listen to their empty plea; the Almighty pays no attention to it.

Isaiah 58:4
Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife, and in striking each other with wicked fists. You cannot fast as you do today and expect your voice to be heard on high.

Isaiah 59:2
But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear.

I Peter 3:7 Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.

there are many passages like this throughout the bible, passages that tell us that the righteous are heard...again, just to be clear, that is not to say that God does not hear the prayer of salvation...this is why intercessory prayer is so important to our lives.

Upvote 0

Vanguard PCD

Progressive Christian Deist
Jan 27, 2013
Alabama, USA
✟16,492.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why does God not help everyone?

Because of free will.

If God interferes with any free will choice, then it is not free will. Having said that...

1. Bad things happen to good people because someone chose to do something bad.

2. If a DUI hits you, and you die, become impaired, etc. God may not answer your prayers because to do so would go against the choice of the person that decided to drink and drive.

3. If one of your ancestors committed incest, your DNA may contain abnormalities, and it is for that reason that birth defects may happen.

4. If you choose to pollute your body with toxins, don't expect a miracle cure. Toxins can also trigger birth defects.

5. If you get injured playing a sport, driving a car, skiing, etc., you made the choice to engage in that activity that resulted in your injury.

Upvote 0

woodpecker

Mar 10, 2011
✟17,212.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God is good, god is merciful, God is righteous, God is judge, God is majesty and more...

God gives to the wicked and to the good, His ways our not our ways, His wisdom is greater than any.

Why does God "help" some and not all? Because this is not heaven, this is not the new earth, we do not live in the new kingdom to come, but we live in a broken world of sin, and it will not be made right until the final return of Christ.

Jesus told us He did not come to bring peace, He warned His followers they would suffer as He did. God will "help" all His children, maybe not in the way you asked, but in the way God sees best, you may suffer for His glory, or God may heal you for His glory, or He may help just for the reason He likes to give good gifts.

As a psalmist proclaimed "be still and know that He is God"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums