Why does God make it so difficult for some people to be Christians?

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I see what you're saying, although that would mean that people who do not accept Jesus as their saviour could be accepted into heaven, which is heavily contradictory.

I admit that I may be overly finicky with this, but it's an issue that I still can't fully understand and wouldn't be able to confidently answer if a non-believer were to ask about it.
Well once again that decision is not up to you though now is it?

I am talking about those who never heard of Jesus or Christianity.

Its not up to us who God chooses. We, as Christians have been given the rules to follow. We no longer have the gift of ignorance. So the Bible and Church apply to us, not necessarily those who never had the chance.

So stop overthinking it. It'll do you no good on your journey to heaven.

• Agree
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Of course it is through God that anyone is saved. But my question is, then, why does God choose not to save more of those who are circumstantially disadvantaged. God has the power to save anyone and yet chooses to predominantly save those born in free, Western and developed countries who usually have Christian upbringings.
there is one thing that you are forgetting about.
God did leave traces of His existance behind. we see them every day and night, through all 4 seasons, in the forrest or in the desert.

they are the stars and the planets, the wind, the rain, the clouds, the sunset, huge trees, the ocean, a snowflake, smoke, etc.

all of these are things that man cannot make and that he has no control over. The stars are in the sky, but we can't touch them. they don't fall on us, they move accross the sky but no one knows where they go to, or where the sun comes from, etc.
All of these things God has left behind as a testimony of His existance so that people will ask questions and learn about Him; so that they do know that there is an intelligent being who designed these things, and that they have a purpose.

No one has to live in a developed civilization to know that God exists because He left evidence of His existance for everyone to find. And when they see that evidence and realize that it is beyond their ability to create, then their curiosity is awakened.
and that's all that it takes because if they are seeking God, He is also seeking them. And when He created this world He made sure to leave behind evidence and clues that would lead people to find Him if they looked.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes of course. But what I'm saying is that it is discernibly unfair for those who are born into conditions where Christianity is totally absent.

You're assuming that those who don't hear about Jesus are doomed?

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
because salvation is a supernatural work of God. ezekiel 36:26-28.

all are "disadvantaged" psalms 14, psalms 51:5, psalms 58:3

being a follower of Christ is a whole lot more than consistent church attendance and being nice to people.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If they live a decent life, with the conditions that they are given, I highly doubt God would send them to hell simply because they never had the chance to hear about Christianity.

That would essentially make God into a terrible person, which He is not.

We are not to decide who is going to heaven and who isnt. That is up to God, and He can accept anybody He wishes into heaven.

Dont try to think too deeply into it. Its honestly not worth it.

In reference to your post please consider these passages...
Romans 1:20:
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
Romans 2:12-16:
All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.) This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The scriptures are not all that important, according to scripture.
At best....scripture only claims "to be useful"

19 For what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood from His workmanship, so that men are without excuse.
What about Matthew 4:4?? But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God....????
Sounds not only useful, but needful.

Upvote 0

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In reference to your post please consider these passages...
Romans 1:20:
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
Romans 2:12-16:
All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.) This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.
Yes, i understand those passages, but that still doesnt talk about those who have never or could never have heard of Christianity.

They might make their own religion, similar to the greeks or egyptians before Christ.

This entire discussion makes no sense, as it is not up to us who enters heaven or hell. That is up to God and we cannot comprehend what God's plan is.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In certain situations, it seems borderline impossible for people to learn about and accept Jesus Christ as their saviour. This is not to say that God does not present every human with the opportunity to accept him, but to propose that every human has an equal chance to accept Christ is clearly absurd. If so, there would be an equal (or at least more even) amount of Christians within every country.
The epistemology of the Bible indicates that God, in some sense, is metaphysically available to each human being, even those entrapped within a non-christian, cultural environment.

How is a child born in Morocco, who may never even hear of the Christain faith throughout their entire life supposed to devote their life to a God they don't know exists?
I suppose that for children born in Morocco, there are a few ways they could become cognizant of the Christian faith: 1) they could grow and continue to move through their lives, possibly bumping into a Christian who, by God's providence, imparts the Gospel of Jesus to him/her, 2) they could read the Qu'ran and come to the eventual realization that what the Qu'ran says about Christians and the Christian faith is wrong and that maybe the Christian faith is actually right, 3) God could intercede personally and "drop" a suggestion (revelation) into their minds that "something isn't quite right with Islam" and that they should expand their religious views, and 4) there may be other practical ways, too; they could encounter the Gospel through opportunities afforded by the advent of expansive technologies.

Similarly, what about those who belong to completely isolated tribes (e.g. North Sentinel Island) where the entire concept of religion may not even exist, let alone knowledge of the Christain faith.
Ask yourself how much of a percentage of the world's population does this really apply to (removing those that already have some notion of Christianity and/or Islam)? Also, see this link to a response I gave on another thread here at CF for some of my additional thoughts on this matter.

Also, severely disabled people who have no mental functionality or ability to understand.
Depending on the severity of the mental condition, I think God will treat individuals who are severely mentally handicapped in a way similar to how He surely treats infants who have died early ---He basically gives them a one way ticket to heaven to be with Jesus.

And yes, I understand that God's work is beyond our comprehension but I can't fathom why God allows conditions in which millions of people live and die with minimal to no knowledge of Christianity and no understanding that they are going to go to hell for not believing in a God that they never knew existed due to circumstances of which they had no influence over.

Thank you for all contributions! Just an issue I've been thinking about.

You're welcome.

2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
1) God loves everyone. Jesus died for the sins of the whole world. He is the savior of all people; especially believers.

2) Faith is a gift, not a decision. (this is incidentally related to why a mentally disabled person can have a saving faith).

3) We cannot completely understand God's ways. If we could, they would not be God's ways. It may be that God has ways to save those who never have a Christian faith. But that doesn't change point #1.

• Agree
Reactions: dhh712
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hemahe Jesus said.. if you were blind you would have NO SIN. You say you see your sin remains. Jesus said.. if He had not come and spoke they would have no sin. Jesus said.. I am the WAY the TRUTH the LIFE. Anyone in this world that seeks TRUTH.. the real truth are seeking HIM. There is no other that is true. And we only see FLESH not the heart. GOD IS JESUS IS REAL! No one.. no one is lost by chance. Everyone gets a chance. To know that they know that they know.

Some are BLIND...never hearing Jesus came died rose. If you were blind you would have no sin. Were talking about HIS creation and He left heaven for just ONE and the WORLD! The sweet sweet Holy Spirit is the one that draws one to Him. We are the laborers yet so so few.

My Father of our lord Jesus Christ in 55 years has never ever once told me "few will be saved". Man tells me this. It is far easier to be saved then lost. If one simply calls on the name of the lord they shall be saved. The thief on the cross? Just said remember me. His love is so deep so high so wide.. it can not be measured. It never ever stops no matter what we do. If SIN doomed anyone to (forgive me Father) hell then Adam and Eve never stood a chance. Sin.. the payment for sin ..the wages of sin is death in this world. Sinless..never sinning is not the door to heaven. Yeshua/Jesus I am the way the truth and the life.. I am the door. Cant get in any other way. So even being 100% SINNLESS will not get you in. Jesus is the only way.. not sure why I went this way lol.. anyway.. everyone gets a chance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Man: Why does God make it so difficult for some people to be Christians?
God: Why does man make it so difficult for such an easily paved way for salvation? I have already did it all for the crying out loud! All he had to do is accept it!

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In certain situations, it seems borderline impossible for people to learn about and accept Jesus Christ as their saviour. This is not to say that God does not present every human with the opportunity to accept him, but to propose that every human has an equal chance to accept Christ is clearly absurd. If so, there would be an equal (or at least more even) amount of Christians within every country.

This goes back to the doctrine of revelation and what is known as the law of conscience. Paul speaking it God's righteous judgment says that God's divine attributes and eternal nature has been 'clearly seen' but mankind has 'suppressed the truth in unrighteousness (Roman 1:18-20). He explains further that all people have a conscience that is sometimes 'accusing' and sometimes 'defending' (Rom. 2:15). The revelation of the Old Testament like the revelation of the New Testament is based on five historical revelations including history, doctrine and the witness of signs and miracles. These promises and covenants we're originally made to descendants of Abraham, the Gentiles received none of the blessings of the covenants but they weren't subject to the curses either, idolatry for instance. We all receive the same righteous judgment at the end of the age but the church and Israel have been given what they call 'special revelation'.

How is a child born in Morocco, who may never even hear of the Christain faith throughout their entire life supposed to devote their life to a God they don't know exists? Similarly, what about those who belong to completely isolated tribes (e.g. North Sentinel Island) where the entire concept of religion may not even exist, let alone knowledge of the Christain faith. Also, severely disabled people who have no mental functionality or ability to understand.

God doesn't hold you accountable for things you do not know, your only responsible for what you actually received. Even if you hear the Gospel and for some reason you don't really understand it's not the same as rejecting God's revelation. Jesus likened the Word of God to a seed that can perish due to unbelief, shallow conviction or choaked out by worldly care and the decietfullness of riches. Those who receive this greater light of revelation bear fruit those who receive the lessor light can follow the law on conscience and bear fruit as well. However those who hear the gospel and harden their hearts against go on to perdition. Repentance and revelation on that level is one time only, believe and receive or fall away.

And yes, I understand that God's work is beyond our comprehension but I can't fathom why God allows conditions in which millions of people live and die with minimal to no knowledge of Christianity and no understanding that they are going to go to hell for not believing in a God that they never knew existed due to circumstances of which they had no influence over.

Being religious has never been a guarantee of salvation anymore then never hearing the Law or the Gospel can condemn you. A couple of the prophet's God knew even in the womb, including John the Baptist. It comes down to a relationship with the self existing , self evident God who made you. That boy in Morocco has enough light to justify or condemn him even though the only religious teachings he will be exposed to is most likely the Koran. The Gospel has been preached all over Europe, Africa and the Middle East for the better part of two thousand years now.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes of course. But what I'm saying is that it is discernibly unfair for those who are born into conditions where Christianity is totally absent. These people have an exceedingly harder task finding God in comparison to people who, as I said before, were born in a free developed country.

Imagine a bunch of balls of light at God's feet before the Lord created everything. Now say these balls of light are the souls of everyone who has ever lived. God already knows who is going to accept Him and who is going to reject Him from looking at all these lights. So the Lord can then pick up one of these balls of light and place it it into whatever time or place as He so desires. For God had created a line of believers from Abraham to Joseph. What are the odds of that happening? What about the 144,000 jews in the end times who will accept Jesus mentioned in Revelation chapter 7?

Everyone of those balls of lights still has a free will choice to accept or reject God. The Lord is simply sovereign over knowing all time to know what their decision was going to be and He has placed them into the time and place of His choosing. For it is written, God had declared the end from the beginning (Isaiah 46:10).

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The epistemology of the Bible indicates that God, in some sense, is metaphysically available to each human being, even those entrapped within a non-christian, cultural environment.

I suppose that for children born in Morocco, there are a few ways they could become cognizant of the Christian faith: 1) they could grow and continue to move through their lives, possibly bumping into a Christian who, by God's providence, imparts the Gospel of Jesus to him/her, 2) they could read the Qu'ran and come to the eventual realization that what the Qu'ran says about Christians and the Christian faith is wrong and that maybe the Christian faith is actually right, 3) God could intercede personally and "drop" a suggestion (revelation) into their minds that "something isn't quite right with Islam" and that they should expand their religious views, and 4) there may be other practical ways, too; they could encounter the Gospel through opportunities afforded by the advent of expansive technologies.

Ask yourself how much of a percentage of the world's population does this really apply to (removing those that already have some notion of Christianity and/or Islam)? Also, see this link to a response I gave on another thread here at CF for some of my additional thoughts on this matter.

Depending on the severity of the mental condition, I think God will treat severely challenged individuals in a similar way to how He surely treats infants---which in my estimation is more or less a one way ticket to heaven with Jesus.

You're welcome.

2PhiloVoid
Actually Morocco passed a Constitution in 1991 with religious protections. Even though 99% are Sunni there are some 25,000 Christians there.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus was preaching in their synagogues, houses, towns and out of doors. Miracles were happening as God approved of Jesus.

A centurion in Caesarea was trying to please God with a limited understanding. God told him to send for Peter staying in Joppa at Simon the Tanner's house. God told Peter to follow the men sent from Caesarea and go preach to the man who sent them. Peter took six of the brethren with him. The centurion and his household heard the Gospel about Jesus and believed.

Paul was visited by God on the road to Damascus. In fact Paul was struck blind and had to try to work out a deal with God to preach for him. God made him an offer he could not refuse.

General Constantine led an army to battle at the Milvan Bridge over the Tiber River. During the battle he had his men draw Chi-Ro on their shields. These were the first two letters of Christ's name. Constantine marched into Rome and assumed control of the empire. He legalized Christianity.

Today Christianity is one of the largest religions in the world. It is the age of the Internet and information flows across borders. People may use Google translate to gain access to information in other lands. God is yet making offers to people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Of course it is through God that anyone is saved. But my question is, then, why does God choose not to save more of those who are circumstantially disadvantaged. God has the power to save anyone and yet chooses to predominantly save those born in free, Western and developed countries who usually have Christian upbringings.

God chose our place of birth. Out my mother's five living children all raised in the United States, I'm the only Christian.

Reactions: dhh712
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

How is a child born in Morocco, who may never even hear of the Christain faith throughout their entire life supposed to devote their life to a God they don't know exists? Similarly, what about those who belong to completely isolated tribes (e.g. North Sentinel Island) where the entire concept of religion may not even exist, let alone knowledge of the Christain faith. Also, severely disabled people who have no mental functionality or ability to understand.

None of us have any right to learn about Christ as our Lord and Saviour. Anyone to whom God condescends to give that enlightenment is a mysterious act of his great and bountiful mercy. Everyone one of us deserve nothing less at the hands of God than his eternal wrath.

That doesn't make much sense then. Then those who want to badly saved, but God rejects go to hell despite wanting to be saved? We have free will for a reason. We can use it to become a christian, let Jesus in and be saved.

We can't choose to be a Christian without God giving us a new heart. Our natures are entirely too corrupt to do anything to the glory of God, much less choose to know an infinite being who can only be known by being revealed to us. Those who want to be saved definitely can be, they just have to make the "choice" to become a Christian, which looks like a choice to us; yet, we understand that it is God working in us. Just as it is written in Philippians: work out your own salvation with fear and trembling knowing that it is God working in you. It looks like our own actions because that is all we can see, yet we know that it is God doing it.

For my own conversion for example, it definitely looked like I picked up the Westminster Confessions of Faith, read through it and said, "Yep, this makes sense; I think I'll believe in Jesus now." It sure appeared to be a choice to me. Yet none of this could have happened without the Holy Spirit renewing my heart and giving me a heart to know and yearn for the holiness of God. It is by his power and his power alone that I persevere to the end of the race.

God chose our place of birth. Out my mother's five living children all raised in the United States, I'm the only Christian.

I'm the only believer out of my siblings; we were all born here and raised Catholic.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, i understand those passages, but that still doesnt talk about those who have never or could never have heard of Christianity.

They might make their own religion, similar to the greeks or egyptians before Christ.

This entire discussion makes no sense, as it is not up to us who enters heaven or hell. That is up to God and we cannot comprehend what God's plan is.
gentiles are unbelievers

Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I see what you're saying, although that would mean that people who do not accept Jesus as their saviour could be accepted into heaven, which is heavily contradictory.

Not to my knowledge it is. Jesus is the only way to the Father, but he can give this gift without a person's understanding what it is (which is how mentally disabled people and infants can be saved; perhaps even this can be how those who've never heard of Jesus are saved, if that is the case).

It is not a person's understanding that they have accepted Christ as their Lord and Saviour that saves them, it is Christ alone and his righteousness imputed onto us. The Lord saves whom he will. He will have mercy upon whom he will have mercy. It is not for us to hold him up to some standard as to whom he can be merciful.

Upvote 0