Why does everyone dislike homosexuality so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I just want to hear peoples reasons behind their disapproval of gay people.

All the gay people I personally know are nice. However, that isn't to say that the idea of what they get up to doesn't squick me out a little. Of course, I wouldn't really even think about it if I hadn't ever been confronted with observing some rather obnoxious PDA. However, I find obnoxious heterosexual PDA inappropriate as well.

Also, it still upsets me to think about the time in college when the GLBT group on campus tried to force me to take free condoms. My simple 'no thank you' was obnoxiously ignored. The girl in question got in my face and was going to physically push condoms into my hand and wouldn't take no for an answer. She also wasn't too pleased with my response to, 'Well, give them to your friends'. I said, 'I wouldn't dream of inserting myself into my friends' sex lives. It's not my business.'

Growing up homosexuality (good or bad) was never mentioned in my family or by anyone I knew and I never met my first (relatively out of the closet) gay person until I was around ten. I remember having a friend who (I used to go to her house to play) had a mom (who my mother had known for years) that was gay. It was her mom's partner that confused me a lot. I honestly had trouble figuring out for a while if the partner was a woman or a man. It was a taboo subject on everybody's part. My parents wouldn't tell me, my friend wouldn't tell me, and my friend's mom and her partner wouldn't tell me. The partner was introduced by my friend as the live-in baby-sitter who shared a room with mom. Overall, it was not a positive first impression of homosexuality, even on the part of those who were homosexual.

Not to mention, even gay pride events sometimes have elements that aren't family friendly, so that does affect how people will respond with disapproval.

Upvote 0

CreedIsChrist

Jul 25, 2008
✟4,612.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
<staff edit>

Um, pain should not be acceptable during surgery -- you might just bite on a leather strap or something, but I'm definitely pro- anesthesia.

<staff edit>

yes, anesthesia, a wonderful invention indeed. But I was talking about when anesthesia didn't exist and people were forced to be awake. Before the gas was found people usually would use(if they were lucky) narcotic based drugs such as opium, wine agents, coca(while cocaine isn't a narcotic it is used outside the body and acts as an anesthetic. It is still used during things like eye surgery), and of course morphine which was later synthesized from opium. But still you had to be awake. Sometimes herbs were used in parts of Asia, but I wouldn't trust herbs in a second for something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,029.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
i dont know why people care SO much.
they focus on it like thats all that christianity is.
being a christian is about following Christ...not about being hetrosexual.

everyone is a sinner, yet the homosexual sin seems to be driven into people so much. we dont go around finding peoples individual sins and going ON AND ON at them about it until they feel utterly worthless and guilty.

saving people is about leading people towards Jesus, the bible and baptism. we are meant to love our neighbours, not cast them aside. let us show people the love and light that shines through us from Jesus. not how judgemental we are!

peoples sins are between them and Christ!

Upvote 0

KCKID

Jan 12, 2008
Australia
✟4,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i dont know why people care SO much.
they focus on it like thats all that christianity is.
being a christian is about following Christ...not about being hetrosexual.

everyone is a sinner, yet the homosexual sin seems to be driven into people so much. we dont go around finding peoples individual sins and going ON AND ON at them about it until they feel utterly worthless and guilty.

saving people is about leading people towards Jesus, the bible and baptism. we are meant to love our neighbours, not cast them aside. let us show people the love and light that shines through us from Jesus. not how judgemental we are!

peoples sins are between them and Christ!

Very good. Would that every Christian had that particular view.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Warren Clark

Mar 21, 2009
Melbourne, Florida
Visit site
✟7,838.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All the gay people I personally know are nice. However, that isn't to say that the idea of what they get up to doesn't squick me out a little. Of course, I wouldn't really even think about it if I hadn't ever been confronted with observing some rather obnoxious PDA. However, I find obnoxious heterosexual PDA inappropriate as well.

Also, it still upsets me to think about the time in college when the GLBT group on campus tried to force me to take free condoms. My simple 'no thank you' was obnoxiously ignored. The girl in question got in my face and was going to physically push condoms into my hand and wouldn't take no for an answer. She also wasn't too pleased with my response to, 'Well, give them to your friends'. I said, 'I wouldn't dream of inserting myself into my friends' sex lives. It's not my business.'

Growing up homosexuality (good or bad) was never mentioned in my family or by anyone I knew and I never met my first (relatively out of the closet) gay person until I was around ten. I remember having a friend who (I used to go to her house to play) had a mom (who my mother had known for years) that was gay. It was her mom's partner that confused me a lot. I honestly had trouble figuring out for a while if the partner was a woman or a man. It was a taboo subject on everybody's part. My parents wouldn't tell me, my friend wouldn't tell me, and my friend's mom and her partner wouldn't tell me. The partner was introduced by my friend as the live-in baby-sitter who shared a room with mom. Overall, it was not a positive first impression of homosexuality, even on the part of those who were homosexual.

Not to mention, even gay pride events sometimes have elements that aren't family friendly, so that does affect how people will respond with disapproval.

I liked this response. It well stated with reason.

Obnoxious PDA: I find disturbing either way.
PDA should be very discrete by anyone.

As for the condom pushing.
There intention was good but their actions were unpleasant.
The pope does not support condom use. However there is a rapid increase in the number of married women and elderly that are being infected with HIV.
I support the use of condoms. But I would force it on you.

There are family friendly Pride events. Such as Family Picnics that some PFLAG chapters hold. Our gay pride where I live can be family friendly.
Some people don't want their kids to see guys in speedos so they wont take them to the dance corner.
I wouldn't doubt that some people's gay pride events can get out of hand. which is why you have responsible police officers.
(Ours happily where the triangle foundation button to show that they are there for the safety of the people)

Its all in a matter of perspective though.
To me seeing a grown guy twirl around like a fairy is weird. Luckily most of the gay men are masculine here. =P

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I just want to hear peoples reasons behind their disapproval of gay people.
Are you asking why some disapprove of homosexuality or homosexual people? There is a distinction between the two that is important to the answer.

Upvote 0

KCKID

Jan 12, 2008
Australia
✟4,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you asking why some disapprove of homosexuality or homosexual people? There is a distinction between the two that is important to the answer.

Are you referring to the old chestnut about hating the sin but not the sinner?

Upvote 0

Supernaut

What did they aim for when they missed your heart?
Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

That garbage makes about as much sense as the USA's "don't ask/don't tell" policy in the military.

Luckily all things have their season....and the seasons are changing!:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The Sodomite lifestyle is being taught to our children,
If by that you mean children are being taught that not everyone has a mummy and a daddy, then yes.

sodomy is totally against God.
Then don't practice it. You're free to do what you want, just leave us to our sinful devices.

Children are vulnerable, do we want them exposed to it?
Sodomy? No. The existence of homosexuality? Yes. There's no point hiding it from them, even if you think it's the worst thing a person could possibly be.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green

As a Christian I am called to hate all sin, especially my own, but to love my neighbors all of whom, like me, are sinners.
There's nothing hard to understand about that. Both positions are supported by Scripture and Holy Tradition. Call it a chestnut if you want.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
That garbage makes about as much sense as the USA's "don't ask/don't tell" policy in the military.

Luckily all things have their season....and the seasons are changing!:)

Garbage? Did Jesus teach us to love sin? No He didn't he taught us to revere the Father and His Word. Did He teach us to love our neighbor? Absolutely, so what exactly about those positions is garbage?

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Garbage? Did Jesus teach us to love sin? No He didn't he taught us to revere the Father and His Word. Did He teach us to love our neighbor? Absolutely, so what exactly about those positions is garbage?
Do you believe that loving your neighbour as yourself (the actual commandment) means blasting people with YOUR interpretation of scripture?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.