why do you think natural selection has filled the world with religious people?

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
However you think it happened -- by hook or by crook -- the Bible is not circular logic.

In fact, what you just described is nothing more than what scientists do today.

They calibrate their equipment and program their computers to conform to each other.

Wrong as usual, AV -- they calibrate their equipment to conform to physical reality.

In my entertaining-to-you opinion.

Try harder, AV.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wrong as usual, AV -- they calibrate their equipment to conform to physical reality.
Ya ... that's why we have rocks dated by fossils and fossils dated by rocks.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
That's not evidence.

Sure it is to most people but to some who REJECT God's Truth, it is foolishness:

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Have you been born again Spiritually? If not, you will see the Truth as foolishness. God Bless you

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
However you think it happened -- by hook or by crook -- the Bible is not circular logic.

In fact, what you just described is nothing more than what scientists do today.

They calibrate their equipment and program their computers to conform to each other.

In my entertaining-to-you opinion.

What about real world verification?

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
No, it isn't. Stories in books have never been scientific evidence.

False, since IF those stories agree with every discovery of Science and History, they reveal God's Truth, which is much more reliable than the changeable truth of mankind's "so called" Science. God's Truth changes Not.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
They do not. moving on...

You haven't been able to refute a single jot nor tittle of God's Holy Word which supports my view. Neither have you been able to refute my view Scientifically nor Historically, but I have refuted the False ToE in all ways. It's easy since the False ToE is the biggest Falsehood in the History of Human civilization on this Earth, which can be traced to the arrival of the FIRST Human to step foot on Planet Earth....namely, Noah. Amen?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You haven't been able to refute a single jot nor tittle of God's Holy Word which supports my view. Neither have you been able to refute my view Scientifically nor Historically, but I have refuted the False ToE in all ways. It's easy since the False ToE is the biggest Falsehood in the History of Human civilization on this Earth, which can be traced to the arrival of the FIRST Human to step foot on Planet Earth....namely, Noah. Amen?

You keep making such grandiose claims, and yet not a soul believes you. In some Christian circles, that's considered a badge of honor...

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the ability to recognize patterns as well as to interpolate patterns, even if incomplete.
the ability to connect dots

Well, this does answer the question . . . though I do not agree with it.

I do not only connect a few things to conclude there is God. I experience how He has shared with me, personally corrected me in ways very appreciated and which I could not see the need. He has seen, better than I have seen with my dot spotting :) lololololololololollolol

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
All is dated by radioactive decay, which can be directly measured. The hilarious part of the system is, if it is in error, it would err to marking things YOUNGER than they actually are, not older.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Really? Which God's word is this you speak of? Surely not the Holy book of either Christians or Jews. For those say Noah was the son of Lamech who was the son of Methuselah.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Index fossils are useful for judging the age of a rock since they show up in the same age rocks all the time but we can check the ages of the rocks independently of the fossils by God's clock of radioactive decay.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It's also a question as to whether it was evolution as did it.

Or just what natural selection is doing. Natural selection is slow, very slow. Perhaps natural selection is slowly eliminating the religious. The Shakers come to mind.

Upvote 0

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Another thread that refuses to die...

To answer the OP question anyway, since I nevertheless consider it a very interesting topic... It's rather easy: because of the advantage of people who are more prone to engage in the type 1 cognition error known as the "false positive".

If you assume that the "noise" in the bushes is from a dangerous predator out to kill you, you run.
Those who stick around to "gather more data", will get killed if the suspect noise is actually such a predator.

This left us humans with a tendency to infuse intent/purpose into nature. That combined with our tendency to recognise patterns everywhere, even there where they don't actually exist, leads us to a mental state in which we are extremely prone to superstition.

This is the psychological underpinning of religious belief.

Religious beliefs didn't evolve. Our psychology evolved. Religious beliefs are then just some kind of secondary side-effect of our psychology.

Such psychological underpinnings are very common in nature, in animals that are considered a tasty lunch by certain predators.

There's a famous experiment with pigeons that illustrates that. The pigeons got food on random moments through some mechanism. After a while, the pigeons started identifying false patterns on how to trigger the mechanism, leading to quite absurd behaviour. This was the pigeon equivalence of human superstition.

Upvote 0

Gene Parmesan

Apr 4, 2017
Earth
✟36,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I agree with TagliatelliMonster. Agency detection. A desire for answers. Community/belonging. Comfort. Wanting to prolong existence. All of these make absolute sense in light of natural selection and advantageous behavior. And religions go through a sort of "selection" process as well. The ones that provide the most get passed on to future generations. A desire for religion is an emergent desire out of a bunch of other desires. It scratches these itches.

Upvote 0