Oct 29, 2013
✟15,144.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
I've been having a crisis of faith for some time. I had no problem believing in God, Jesus, heaven, etc, until my mom got stage four breast cancer a few years ago. I was faced with mortality for the first time. It made me really think about what was going to happen when she died and if any of it actually WAS real. She just passed away after a gritty battle last month.

Since she died, these thoughts have basically exploded because she was my very favorite person in the whole world. She was my best buddy from the time I was a little girl. I'm also only in my late 20s, so this is way sooner than I was assuming she would leave me.

Anyway, Mom had very strong faith and she was a Christian in the best way possible, following Jesus' teachings to a t. She was selfless, loving, kind, forgiving, and always looking out for others. There wasn't a judgmental bone in her body. She wanted us all to have the faith that she did. I WANT to. I want to believe for her sake, I want to believe because I like the idea of God and Jesus, and I want to believe because I want to see her again.

Unfortunately, I realize the only reason I ever believed was because it was what I was taught and it made sense. I've never had a religious experience, even when I was fully convinced. Most of the Christians I know are the exact same way... or they say "God spoke to them" and they're a little nutty. There are people I know who say they've had religious experiences that I do actually believe because they're perfectly sane people.

Usually all I get with these questions from Christians is "The devil is luring you away" or "You're such an awful person for doubting God." Hopefully I don't get any of this here. I know agnostics and atheists can post in this section, too. Why do you believe in God? Why don't you? Why are you unsure? Have you ever "felt" someone after they died, so that you were more convinced? Thanks in advance.

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been having a crisis of faith for some time. I had no problem believing in God, Jesus, heaven, etc, until my mom got stage four breast cancer a few years ago. I was faced with mortality for the first time. It made me really think about what was going to happen when she died and if any of it actually WAS real. She just passed away after a gritty battle last month.

Since she died, these thoughts have basically exploded because she was my very favorite person in the whole world. She was my best buddy from the time I was a little girl. I'm also only in my late 20s, so this is way sooner than I was assuming she would leave me.

Anyway, Mom had very strong faith and she was a Christian in the best way possible, following Jesus' teachings to a t. She was selfless, loving, kind, forgiving, and always looking out for others. There wasn't a judgmental bone in her body. She wanted us all to have the faith that she did. I WANT to. I want to believe for her sake, I want to believe because I like the idea of God and Jesus, and I want to believe because I want to see her again.

Unfortunately, I realize the only reason I ever believed was because it was what I was taught and it made sense. I've never had a religious experience, even when I was fully convinced. Most of the Christians I know are the exact same way... or they say "God spoke to them" and they're a little nutty. There are people I know who say they've had religious experiences that I do actually believe because they're perfectly sane people.

Usually all I get with these questions from Christians is "The devil is luring you away" or "You're such an awful person for doubting God." Hopefully I don't get any of this here. I know agnostics and atheists can post in this section, too. Why do you believe in God? Why don't you? Why are you unsure? Have you ever "felt" someone after they died, so that you were more convinced? Thanks in advance.

Hello Thorin,

I must say that, for me, what you've shared above about your recent experiences strikes close to home. I've had very similar experiences, and I also lost my mom during my late 20's. So, not only am I sorry to hear about your loss, but I can say that I indeed understand the challenge it holds upon one's feelings about Christian faith. This kind of thing can definitely be difficult to reconcile.

With that said, let me focus upon your question. Why do I believe?

The short answer, Thorin, is that Christianity is for me the most attractive worldview. First, it makes the most sense to me among the various philosophical options available, even if that sense has to be gotten through somewhat convoluted means (and I say this as one who holds degrees in philosophy and social science, although I know that my having an education by no means assures that I'm right).

Secondly, I find the person of Jesus Christ to be philosophically more attractive than any other religious figure, or any secular leader I know about. I might call this line of thought, the "Aesthetic Argument." I'm attracted to Jesus for similar reasons to those that accompany my being attracted to a more tangible person, such as my wife (but for obviously different specific reasons).

Thirdly, despite the fact that, like you, I have never had what I would define as a "supernatural" experience, I do at times have a sense that the world reflects the spiritual principles Jesus taught, both in regard to the good, and to that which is evil.

Lastly, Christian faith, while difficult, gives me a sense of hope ...

So, while I could elaborate for many hours on this stuff, I won't belabor my point. Again, I'm just offering my 'short answer,' and I hope something I've said will be helpful to you.

Peace
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Reactions: Joshua260
Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

This is the way God brought me to himself: a few years ago I was researching a historical person which long story short led me to read the Westminster Confessions of Faith. It explained the Bible in a way I never heard before; I began reading the Bible, actually wanting to read it (as compared to before really not having an interest in it though I made it almost completely through once) and it was like I never read it before. Whereas before when I said I believed in God, it had no meaning to me; now when I realized that I believed in him, I understood what it meant, there was something there when there wasn't.

At the time I was experimenting in transgenderism; I had never been comfortable in my own body, never identified with my own name it seemed like people were talking to someone else. When I came to the Reformed Christian faith I understood that God called the shots not me--he made me female and no amount of things that I did will ever change that; and it really bothered me, to have this belief in God but have to "go back" (I was taking hormones then) to being a girl. Then like overnight, I was comfortable in my body. It the most amazing gift in the world and it was God who performed it.

Those are just some of the reason for why I believe in God. Mostly though, its that I trust his word. I'm not the most brilliant person in the world, but I have been told I'm above-average in intelligence; even those who are the most brilliant people in the world, far above my intelligence, they can't know everything. There will always be some uncertainty and I've heard arguments from both sides that to me, who's not a logistician, sound pretty good. I prefer to put my trust in God. I had been trusting in the world, for a long time. I had a really comfortable life for many years, practically everything I could want and absolutely nothing to complain of. That doesn't bring you happiness. Once you get to that point where you've got what you want and actually make yourself believe you're happy for a while, you'll find out that you're really not; your delusion may last a long time or it may be God's will to never wake you from it. The only happiness a human will ever know is to be in communion with God his maker. No atheist will understand or believe that; eventually, however, we will find this out. For us Christians though, for right now it is a matter of faith.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I am glad, however, that you don't sorrow as "those who have no hope." There is excellent reason to think you will her see again one day.

She wanted us all to have the faith that she did. I WANT to. I want to believe for her sake, I want to believe because I like the idea of God and Jesus, and I want to believe because I want to see her again.

I quite understand the series of motives that you've listed here for wanting to make your mother's faith your own. But there is really only one motive God accepts from us in walking with Him: Love. Not love for your Mom (as excellent a thing as that is), not love for the idea of God and Christ, but love for the person of Christ who is your Saviour. God's first and great commandment to all of us is to love Him with all of our being. Nothing else and nothing less will do.

Matthew 22:36-38
36 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
37 Jesus said to him, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.'
38 This is the first and great commandment.

Why do you believe in God? Why don't you? Why are you unsure? Have you ever "felt" someone after they died, so that you were more convinced? Thanks in advance.

Why do I believe in God? Because I walk with Him through every day. Because He has convicted me of sin, strengthened me in the midst of temptation, illuminated my mind to His truth, guided me in uncertain times, comforted me in seasons of sorrow, fear and sickness and shown me again, and again, and again His providential power.

I also believe in God because of the revelation of Him, firstly in Creation, but especially in the Bible. And I have very good reason, I believe, to think the Bible is from God and its revelation of Him is true:

1.) Fulfilled prophecy.
2.) Thematic unity.
3.) Historical/archaeological accuracy.
4.) Survivability/popularity.
5.) Impact upon individuals and cultures.
6.) Correspondence to reality.

Finally, I believe in God because there is very good philosophical reason to do so. See: the Kalam Cosmological Argument, Liebniz's Argument from Contingency, the Moral Argument, the Argument from Design/the Fine-Tuning of the Universe, etc.

Selah.

Reactions: Joshua260
Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I belive God takes us to glorious Heaven when he is finished using us on earth...our pastor even states sometimes that he may call us home if we are stubborn to learning ...and growing..if we are a saved christian then he will bring us home...

I believe in God b/c I have felt him almost daily these days...growing up at first was thru music...as an adult just randomly driving in my car...cutting my grass..just think of something , of him, and get that feeling...it can happen at any time..to recognize it we have to have our mind and heart open I believe...talk to him if you are unsure...ask him...tell him your needs..your doubts..he will show you what you need...and can comfort you in this trying time...I know he helped me get thru a trying childhood and teenage years...I havent' been as close these last 12 years until sept..was set back on my path...feel him a lot more these days...he is there..hope you find your answers ..god bless

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

I'm sorry for your loss. I think there is a stage in every person's life who is brought up as a Christian where it becomes their faith rather than their parent's faith. Often times it happens when you leave for college or when it becomes your decision whether or not to attend church. A little over 10 years ago I took to internet forums and wanted to see if what I believed could stand up to scrutiny, and so far it has.

I see nothing wrong with questioning your faith, and in fact I think it's something that more Christians should be taught to do. People should be taught a solid foundation certainly before they leave for college for why they should believe that Christianity is true and the fact that so many Christians lose their faith in college only speaks to our failure to give them a robust education. People who never question their faith until they hit a crisis can often lose their faith because they don't have a solid foundation to fall back on.

When we question whether our beliefs are really true, that leads us to investigate them and find more evidence, which can either strengthen a true belief or dismiss a false belief. The problem comes of course when we wrongly dismiss a true belief or reinforce a false belief. I've been wrong many times in the past and I very likely will be wrong many times in the future, so the chances are pretty good that currently hold a number of beliefs to be true that are actually false, I just don't know which ones they are, but I want to find out.

Questioning your beliefs is different from doubting. Having faith is acting in a way that demonstrates that you trust someone while doubting is acting in a way that demonstrates that you don't trust someone. So investigating whether Christianity is true is different from demonstrating that you don't trust God.

Christianity has an incredibly deep and rich intellectual and philosophical history history that sadly many people don't study or even know exists. In my philosophy class, we briefly went over Thomas Aquinas' Five Ways and debunked them without actually taking the time to understand them, which I realized years after taking the class when I started studying him on my own. Now I'm amazed at the injustice that was done to his views.

There are many scholarly that you can find at a library or bookstore about the credibility of the Bible or the credibility of miracles. One I'd highly recommend that is currently on sale for Kindle for $2.51 at amazon.com is The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus by Gary Habermas and Mike Licona. Probably the most comprehensive book on Miracles is Miracles: The Credibility of the New Testament Accounts by Craig Keener. If you want to get into Aquinas, then I recommend Aquinas by Edward Feser. C.S. Lewis also has some really good books that are available online. I'd highly recommend Mere Christianity if you haven't read that:

https://www.dacc.edu/assets/pdfs/PCM/merechristianitylewis.pdf

There are also some great doodle videos of his work on youtube:

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe in God as revealed in the Gospel of Jesus Christ because our conscience struggles to do what is right vs. wrong in a fallen, chaotic, often cruel, & confused world. Personally, I can understand no other ultimate authority who has sacrificed all for us (Romans 10:9-13) , faithfully promised everlasting life, provided basic precepts to live by ( Romans 13:8-10 , Matthew 6:1-18) & to submit our conscience to Him so we can love Him & be able & try to love others ( Luke 10:25-37) & treat others by this standard ( Luke 6:31-49).

Reactions: BeStill&Know
Upvote 0

AntrimJames

Jan 28, 2016
Belfast
✟7,637.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi
I really appreciate the honesty of your statement.
I understand the pain you are feeling.
My Mum died over 16 years ago, and I still miss her; especially when something special happens and my natural reaction of getting on the phone to tell her ... is stopped by the sad recollection that she isn't here anymore.
Like your Mum ... my Mum was also very special ... someone who understood me like no one else in the world. Someone who could say enough in 5 minutes to positively realign my thinking and my life, in way that no one else has ever been able to replicate.
Like your Mum ... my Mum was also a Believer.
As a 12 year old boy Mum asked me to go to a church service where Jesus was going to be talked about. Foolishly I declined the invitation. She didn't scold me for my insolence or demand my attendance. In fact she said very little. By her quiet response I realised she cared more about me and my soul's salvation than I did myself. When she asked me the next evening to attend the same series of church meetings, I was so embarrassed with myself that I gratefully agreed to go.
At the church meetings that followed, I was confronted once again with the story of Jesus; His death, burial and resurrection on account of our sin. Before long I became very aware of my own sin and my own inability to do anything to merit God's forgiveness. I feared my death and life after death. I knew I needed outside help. I knew the only One who could help me was Jesus.
At my bedside I asked God to help me to believe in His Son for salvation. Then when on my knees I realised ... If Jesus bore the sin of the whole world when hanging on the cross ... He must have borne my sin too ... and if Jesus was punished for the sin of the whole world when on Calvary's cross ... He must have been punished for my sin as well. I came to the conclusion that on that basis my sin was gone, my punishment removed and I was free. I realised that I had been rescued by what Jesus had done for me some 2,000 years earlier ... I really believed that ... and I was rescued ... I was saved. The Bible says "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved." That's what I did ... I had believed ... and that's what I am ... saved. All inspired by my Mum's love.

Why is God real to me? ... because Jesus is real to me ... and life does not make any sense without Him.

If you don't know Jesus as Saviour ... my hope ... my prayer is that my Saviour ... and more importantly your Mum's Saviour would become your Saviour too. On that basis you can have the sure and certain hope of meeting your Mum again.
Love and Best Wishes from Northern Ireland
(Apologies for the British spelling)
James

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,352.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Why do I believe. I started out believing because of a dream I had at night, it was about hell and that if I did not become a Christian I would end up there. So I went to Church, and became a Christian. However it has only been in the last few years that I have started to really connect with God. I have had many many experiences that are personal proof to me of the reality of God. As an example, when I was working for a particular website design business I would pray for all of my clients. One day as I was working on one of their websites God basically told me they were going to be put on TV. A few weeks latter the client approached me and told me that they had been asked if they would appear on an evening TV show. They were put on TV and it was a big bonus for their business they got thousands of sign ups that night. This sort of thing happens often to me. God will tell me stuff that is going to happen, and then it does. I have also seen some divine healing and stuff.

Robert

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear ThorinSmolderingshield. God is Love and I know that God Loves me. It is love which makes life wonderful.
In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells us: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself." In verse 40 we are told: On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets. In Matthew 7: 7-10: we are told:" Ask and you shall receive,"
here we ask for Love and Joy, then thank God and share all love and joy with our neighbour: ( neighbour is all we know and all we meet, friends and not friends) We keep asking and thanking God, then we share all love with our neighbour. We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us and carry on loving, caring, being kind and compassionate. God will see our loving efforts, and God will bless us.
The Bible tells us: " Repent and be Born Again, give up our selfish wishes and wants, and start loving and caring.
The Holy Spirit will help and guide us, and Jesus our Saviour will lead us all the way: JESUS IS THE WAY.
A Christian`s weapon is love, with love we will overcome all anger and wrong behaviour, Love is catching and it brings Joy and Peace. God is Love and brings only Joy and Peace. I say this with love, ThorinSmolderingshield. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Reactions: BeStill&Know
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why do I believe in an Intelligent Designer of the universe as opposed to it forming itself?
Simple! For the reason which the Apostle Paul and the rest of the Bible tells us, the universe demonstrates the activity of a planning mind.

If the universe didn't display the activity of a planning and designing mind, then I would be justified in not believing in an intelligent designer. But since it clearly shows us via the DNA code, the nano-molecular machines within our cells, and the Fibonacci sequence's constant recurrence in nature, then the only logical conclusion is a creator. A conclusion to the contrary in the face of so much evidence is inexcusable as the Apostle Paul tells us in Romans the second chapter.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Why do I believe in an Intelligent Designer of the universe as opposed to it forming itself?
Simple! For the reason which the Apostle Paul and the rest of the Bible tells us, the universe demonstrates the activity of a planning mind.

If the universe didn't display the activity of a planning and designing mind, then I would be justified in not believing in an intelligent designer. But since it clearly shows us via the DNA code, the nano-molecular machines within our cells, and the Fibonacci sequence's constant recurrence in nature, then the only logical conclusion is a creator. A conclusion to the contrary in the face of so much evidence is inexcusable as the Apostle Paul tells us in Romans the second chapter.
May I ask what God you believe in? The "Intelligent Designer" who is he? What is his name?

Great response by the way,

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
May I ask what God you believe in? The "Intelligent Designer" who is he? What is his name?

Great response by the way,

God Bless!

Thanks! May he bless you as well.

I believe that the creator is the one described in the first chapter of Genesis.

He is referred to in the OT by four consonants which most translations render as Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Thorin,

Will pray for your mom. I can't imagine how hard it can be. I have had experiences with close ones who lost their family members or had fatal illness themselves, it is really hard when it is children.

That said, our live on earth is just a temporary moment, God had more grand plans for us. By our sins early on our genes are no longer perfect, and will be plagued more and more by illness and death. The pass of a family member is never good for us, but it could be good for them in God's plan, that God saves them from falling into certain traps later on or they have more important things to do in Heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mediakira

Jun 6, 2011
Eaton, Ohio
✟34,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian

Yes, I believe in God. He's the One I have to get to. My reasons because He's the only living God. It makes me wonder if He's really lonely and that's why He's making us. Did His own ken die out and makes God alone? Thankfully He has Jesus.

I since God in all things I do. Like music for example. New Age music gives a new sight of God that makes me see the next Chapter for God. My question is God ready for me. If God is ready for me, then there's a New section of the Bible, where Jesus comes back.

With my way of thinking and my path is unique compared to a normal christian. I listening to Amethystium. Which is a new age music band. My spiritualness just comes out, and I see all kinds of new things with God. Now I have to read the Holy Bible with Amethystium. Because God is working on me. You get into a stage of faith where He's cleaning the wickedness off you. It's uncomfortable, and I went insane for a few years. But my spirituallness new age music is still there. So, I'm alright. Now I have to work with God and Jesus Christ.

Yes, I did experance death. I lost my grandmother Ruth when I was 14, it was breast cancer too. And no I never felt her when she died. I want to understand it. I want to understand what God is really doing. How He works? How He does things? I'm a mystic Christian, and I don't mind it. I'm learning to understand Him. I'm currently reading the Bible so I can understand Him word for word. Today is a good day! I'm learning about God. He wants to have a unique covenant with each person. I know what I want, and I know it will cost me, and my creation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am sorry for the loss of your mother. She sounds like a great lady.

I do not believe that death or injustice in any way contradicts the Nicene Creed. Reading the Old Testament and the New, it's full of death and injustice. Yet God exists, is perfect and powerful, and has a will for each of us. He is the uncreated Creator of the Universe. He had no beginning, but brought about the first beginning, whether that's the Big Bang or an earlier event that we do not know about.

Upvote 0