Why do we need a choice?

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
It presumes that people who do not change have the choice to change. God is considered a Person, three Persons of the same Being, specifically. I'm not going to conflate God with a rock or something. Rocks don't make choices. We know from the Bible that God has made choices. I am not privy to every choice he makes or 100% of why he makes his choices, but God is a chooser. How far that rabbit hole goes is something I will have to learn in Heaven.

Hopefully there is a heaven. Our existence would be pretty depressing if it had an expiration date. It seems a bit suspicious to me that the Bible commands us to be good to each other up until death and then we're finally allowed to meet God and enjoy paradise forever and ever. What if it is some kind of scheme or incentive to get mankind to behave themselves...like the Santa Claus story!?!?!

I hope not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hopefully there is a heaven. Our existence would be pretty depressing if it had an expiration date. It seems a bit suspicious to me that the Bible commands us to be good to each other up until death and then we're finally allowed to meet God and enjoy paradise forever and ever. What if it is some kind of scheme or incentive to get mankind to behave themselves...like the Santa Claus story!?!?!

I hope not.

What's wrong with people behaving themselves?

In any case, I do believe there is a Heaven, and that through Christ, my sins are forgiven so that I may go there and enjoy it. The invite is open, even to you.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because these verses say he has been the same and will always be the same. So I can conclude that there was never any point in time where he was not holy and perfect (because if there was that means he would have changed).
Ok, I get what you are saying, but I don't think the words you have chosen to use actually mean what you intend to say. I am sure He has had the ability to choose, just that His choices have always been the ones He wanted to make. I remember actually that we have discussed this at length before. A, B, if x chose A then he could not have chosen B, therefore he did not really have a choice. I still think that is faulty logic. Some choices are very easy, others require careful consideration. Post #14 says the same thing more simply.
Humanity has the choice to do good or evil. God does not.
What makes you say that He doesn't have that choice, and even say it as though you are convinced it is true?
If the almighty supreme being of the universe doesn't need a choice, why do we? That is basically the main question this whole thread revolves around. And I have yet to hear an answer to this question.
I think what you are getting at, to put into words which I will be able to agree with, is if the almighty supreme being of the universe can always make good choices, why can we not? If that is your question then I will be able to share an idea about this that you will probably find sense in.

A few people also said that I'm not interpreting the verses correctly.

You and I have agreed to assume these verses imply His perfection. They actually don't.

My brain hurts.
Well done! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Not sure what this has to do with the topic of the thread...

It was answering this question in the OP:

"as a God who has spent eternity loving good and hating evil, why was he so against letting his creation experience this as well?"

We are not up to the job.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
God cannot choose to do evil because His goodness is perfect and His perfect goodness is an essential attribute of His divine nature. If God is not perfectly good, He is not God.
Sounds good. You agree with me that God does not have the choice to be anything but good and perfect forever and ever.
But this is not a restriction imposed upon Him by some external constraint. It is a consequence of His nature. Just as a circle has no right angles, God has no darkness in Him. THe moment a circle has a right angle it ceases to be a circle. Likewise, the moment God has sin in Him He ceases to be God.

But isn't that what he is? A robot programmed to always do right? Why can't I join the club? If he has no problem with being this way, then I surely don't.
God is, by definition, uncaused. No one and no thing made Him or programmed Him. He loves because it is His nature to love, not because He has been made to do so by some external agency. God then is not a robot programmed always to do right.

As I pointed out, being like God in respect to His moral perfection is not possible. God cannot make us as He is for the reasons I already explained.

But the former condition would prevent us from loving as God intends for us to love and the latter is impossible.
But he always does right and still provides us with love. Why can't we always do right and still provide him with love?
As I have tried to point out, as a created, sin-cursed being how and why you are able to love is necessarily different from how and why God loves. It is worth noting, though, that providing God with love is to do right. Where your love is expressed toward God by obedience to His commands, God's love is expressed as function of His own nature.

God cannot make us perfectly good as He is because such perfection is found only in God.
Eh? What about these verses? Everyone seems to have a different definition of what it means to be "perfect." Why are these biblical authors preaching that perfection is attainable?

Matthew 5:48-You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

James 1:4-And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
God has always been perfectly morally good. It is in respect to God having been always morally perfect that we cannot be like God. Yes, God can impart His perfect righteousness to us through His Spirit when we by faith accept His Son as our Saviour and Lord. But the non-contingent, eternal moral perfection of God is impossible for created creatures.

In Matthew 5:48, Jesus was setting the bar for moral goodness completely out of reach of all of us. He did so in order to show us how utterly incapable we are on our own of attaining to God's moral standard. It is for this reason that we need the perfect righteousness of Christ imputed to us, to be for us what we cannot be for ourselves. When a person receives the gift of salvation, he is placed in Christ, clothed in his righteousness, and thus made acceptable to God. But just as a man clothed in a bear skin coat is not a bear, neither is a man clothed in Christ's righteousness, actually morally perfect as God is. God declares us righteous in a forensic way, our being made perfect in Christ is a spiritual event. In our daily experience, however, it may not be apparent in how we live that we have Christ's righteousness imputed to us, just as it might not always be apparent that a man owns a bear skin coat.

In James 1:4 the word perfect means "mature" or "fully developed," not perfect in the sense of being without flaw.

I don't think we would have to possess every one of his perfections in order to always do right.
Oh? Is God good if He is unjust? Is God good if He is a liar? Can one be morally perfect and be a fool? Can one be morally perfect and be ignorant? I don't see how. God is only perfectly good if He is also perfectly just, and loving, and truthful and wise and so on; for these things are all aspects of goodness. God is also only truly perfectly good if He has never, ever been otherwise.

I liked your other response better about how it is unnecessary for God to make choices the same way we do. Maybe that makes more sense. I don't know. My brain hurts.
My other comments were coming at this same thing I write of above but from the particular angle of omniscience.

Pondering God makes my brain hurt, too. :D

Selah.

Upvote 0

annafullofgrace

His blood sets me free.
Dec 28, 2014
USA
✟44,039.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Firstly, it's a matter of authority - God is the creator and we are the creation. The creator sets the standard, not the creation.

Secondly, it's a matter of capacity - only God can be perfect. We are finite and thus fallible beings who can never know everything and so can never be in a position to be the final arbiter of what is truly and absolutely good or evil in a situation (because we can never have all the variables). As such we are in no position to set the standard for the universe.

This!

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
But this is not a restriction imposed upon Him by some external constraint. It is a consequence of His nature. Just as a circle has no right angles, God has no darkness in Him. THe moment a circle has a right angle it ceases to be a circle. Likewise, the moment God has sin in Him He ceases to be God.
Ok. So this further proves my point that God does not have the choice to be anything but good and perfect forever and ever.

God is, by definition, uncaused. No one and no thing made Him or programmed Him. He loves because it is His nature to love, not because He has been made to do so by some external agency. God then is not a robot programmed always to do right.
Ok.

As I pointed out, being like God in respect to His moral perfection is not possible. God cannot make us as He is for the reasons I already explained.
So if we can never achieve his moral perfection, how will we ever stop this endless cycle of sinning when we get to heaven?

God has always been perfectly morally good. It is in respect to God having been always morally perfect that we cannot be like God. Yes, God can impart His perfect righteousness to us through His Spirit when we by faith accept His Son as our Saviour and Lord. But the non-contingent, eternal moral perfection of God is impossible for created creatures.
Hmm...guess you are only going to be in heaven a short while then, if we can never have eternal moral perfection.

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Ok, I get what you are saying, but I don't think the words you have chosen to use actually mean what you intend to say. I am sure He has had the ability to choose, just that His choices have always been the ones He wanted to make. I remember actually that we have discussed this at length before. A, B, if x chose A then he could not have chosen B, therefore he did not really have a choice. I still think that is faulty logic. Some choices are very easy, others require careful consideration. Post #14 says the same thing more simply.
Hmm...wise jedi master aiki seems to disagree with you:
God cannot choose to do evil because His goodness is perfect and His perfect goodness is an essential attribute of His divine nature. If God is not perfectly good, He is not God.
So does x really have a choice?

I think what you are getting at, to put into words which I will be able to agree with, is if the almighty supreme being of the universe can always make good choices, why can we not? If that is your question then I will be able to share an idea about this that you will probably find sense in.
Not really. More like: if the almighty supreme being of the universe has to always make good choices, why can we not?

You and I have agreed to assume these verses imply His perfection. They actually don't.
What do they imply jedi knight oi antz?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So if we can never achieve his moral perfection, how will we ever stop this endless cycle of sinning when we get to heaven?

I make a distinction between God's moral perfection, which has always been without variance, and the moral perfection we will begin to experience in our eternal existence with God. God's moral perfection never began; it has just always been; but our moral perfection will begin after we die and go to be with the Lord. In this respect at least, our moral perfection will never be like God's.

But the non-contingent, eternal moral perfection of God is impossible for created creatures.

Hmm...guess you are only going to be in heaven a short while then, if we can never have eternal moral perfection.

In matters relating to God, terms can be a bit confusing. See above for an explanation of what I mean about God's non-contingent, eternal moral perfection.

Selah.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmm...wise jedi master aiki seems to disagree with you:
So does x really have a choice?
Yes. Just like you and I have the choice to jump off a cliff. Normally we would not make that decision, since it's likely outcome conflicts with an ultimately stronger desire. However, we are capable of making that decision simply if we believe the likely outcome satisfies our most ultimate desire. Do you see this as contradicting what aiki has said, or do you see some fault in my belief about how we make choices?

Not really. More like: if the almighty supreme being of the universe has to always make good choices, why can we not?
I expect it is because we are not fully informed when we make decisions, however we can assume that God could very well be. Certainly if we go with the assumption that the universe was conceived and designed by Him, then He must have a sufficient vantage point of it to have sufficient information that He is able to always make good choices. However, humans have definite limits in their ability to perceive and envisage information, therefore the human will never be able to make a fully informed decision. As a result, the human's decision is always prone to error.

What do they imply jedi knight oi antz?
Imply that God is perfect, these verses do not. "I am who I am" is what they say. Accept Him as He is we must; because change to suit our preferences, He will not.

Look to Malachi 3:7 you must, to see that the Jews had lost their way. Change to suit them, He will not; but when proper regard they give, then return to them He will.

Very dark you must be, if in Hebrews 13 verses 7 and 9, you do not see the same. Necessary to accept Him, it is. Change for us, He will not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Yes. Just like you and I have the choice to jump off a cliff. Normally we would not make that decision, since it's likely outcome conflicts with an ultimately stronger desire. However, we are capable of making that decision simply if we believe the likely outcome satisfies our most ultimate desire. Do you see this as contradicting what aiki has said, or do you see some fault in my belief about how we make choices?
In your analogy, you have the freedom to jump off a cliff or not to jump off a cliff. You have the ability to freely exercise both options. This is what I would call a choice.

God however, does not have a choice. He cannot freely exercise both options in a decision where good or evil are options. As aiki said, God cannot choose to do evil because His goodness is perfect and His perfect goodness is an essential attribute of His divine nature. If God is not perfectly good, He is not God.

You cannot call this a choice because both options cannot be freely exercised. If I said you had the choice between broccoli or icecream but then said you cannot choose icecream, would you still call this a choice? I don't think so.

I expect it is because we are not fully informed when we make decisions, however we can assume that God could very well be. Certainly if we go with the assumption that the universe was conceived and designed by Him, then He must have a sufficient vantage point of it to have sufficient information that He is able to always make good choices. However, humans have definite limits in their ability to perceive and envisage information, therefore the human will never be able to make a fully informed decision. As a result, the human's decision is always prone to error.
You & many others in this thread said we would need to be God in order to always make good choices. I don't think this is true. If I understand this correctly, heaven will be a place where moral perfection is possible for our kind. So this proves that it is possible for us to always make good choices without being God.

Imply that God is perfect, these verses do not. "I am who I am" is what they say. Accept Him as He is we must; because change to suit our preferences, He will not.

Look to Malachi 3:7 you must, to see that the Jews had lost their way. Change to suit them, He will not; but when proper regard they give, then return to them He will.

Very dark you must be, if in Hebrews 13 verses 7 and 9, you do not see the same. Necessary to accept Him, it is. Change for us, He will not.
Funny.

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Here's where I still stand in this thread:

1. I still think God does not have a choice (only one person disagrees)
2. I still think the ability to always make good choices does not require us to be God (pretty much all of you disagree)
3. I think it is unnecessary that we even need a choice if #1 and #2 are true.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In your analogy, you have the freedom to jump off a cliff or not to jump off a cliff. You have the ability to freely exercise both options. This is what I would call a choice.

God however, does not have a choice. He cannot freely exercise both options in a decision where good or evil are options. As aiki said, God cannot choose to do evil because His goodness is perfect and His perfect goodness is an essential attribute of His divine nature.
I reckon that if this is true, then He must simply prefer good instead of evil. I even think everyone does, but that sometimes due to our limited perception, we are able to deceive ourselves into thinking that evil is not evil because the evil we do is actually good for us. In doing so, we are able to treat others in a way we would not like to be treated.

I am trying to express that I expect this would not be a limitation that applies to God.
If God is not perfectly good, He is not God.
What makes you believe that? I don't see it as a necessary assumption yet, but only because I have not seen a good reason to believe it.
You cannot call this a choice because both options cannot be freely exercised. If I said you had the choice between broccoli or icecream but then said you cannot choose icecream, would you still call this a choice? I don't think so.
Actually, it depends on the reason why ice cream is not a choice. If the ice cream was in a place that meant it was physically impossible to put it in my mouth during my life, then I don't have the choice and you have been wrong to say that I do. I could choose to attempt to get it to my mouth, even if I was doomed to fail. However, if the ice cream was to cause a severe allergic reaction, then all it means is I must choose between the pleasure obtained by consuming the ice cream vs the displeasure of the consequences. So yes, I would have a choice. Which choice I make would depend probably on how strong my desire is for the pleasure and how strong my desire is to avoid the displeasure.
You & many others in this thread said we would need to be God in order to always make good choices. I don't think this is true.
I didn't, but I did say there is always some risk of failing to make good choices due to our limited perception of, and ability to envisage, complete information. There is always the ability to fluke, but there is also a calculation involved. You must know that some problems are simple calculations while others are very complex. You ought to think carefully about this before you dismiss it, I feel that you owe it to yourself.
If I understand this correctly, heaven will be a place where moral perfection is possible for our kind. So this proves that it is possible for us to always make good choices without being God.
I am not as sure about that as you seem to be. Can you explain to me why you believe this?
I would like to know your answers to my PM, if you will :)

It just does not appear reasonable to believe this, even after all the arguments I have seen.
2. I still think the ability to always make good choices does not require us to be God (pretty much all of you disagree)
This is an interesting conclusion to express, and I am curious in light of what you have said, to know your understanding of the reason/s that we sometimes do not make good decisions?
It does seem to me that you have chosen to believe an idea so fervently that now you are forced to justify it, you are no longer discussing what is real. It must be amusing to be told so.

What I know to be real is this:

* A choice is necessary for action. (Every single action is a choice we have made).
* Survival relies on choice. (If we do not choose what to eat, we would starve. If we do not choose the right time to walk across a road, it can result in death).

These observations are based on observation, not on creating explainations for some idea that I like. My questions for you are: do you think these observations are not based on a real observation of the way things are in this world, and is there any realistic situation that would cause any of these observations to be false?

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I make a distinction between God's moral perfection, which has always been without variance, and the moral perfection we will begin to experience in our eternal existence with God. God's moral perfection never began; it has just always been; but our moral perfection will begin after we die and go to be with the Lord. In this respect at least, our moral perfection will never be like God's.
So moral perfection is possible for our kind. Now please explain to me why it couldn't have been this way from the beginning of our existence? I need to understand this. Keep in mind that God has always been morally perfect and he is still able to love freely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
@oiantz

I don't quite understand where you are going with this.

1. He doesn't prefer one thing over another. His eternal moral perfection is an inherent part of his nature and that prevents him from ever being able to do evil. He cannot escape this part of him. All he can ever do is be holy and perfect for the rest of his existence. He can't opt out or choose an alternative. I think it is fair to say he doesn't have a choice.

2. You said you were unsure about heaven being a place where moral perfection is possible for us. Do you really need me to explain this to you? I thought you would have a decent understanding of what heaven is according to the Bible...

If you want to continue a discussion feel free to answer:
So moral perfection is possible for our kind. Now please explain to me why it couldn't have been this way from the beginning of our existence? I need to understand this. Keep in mind that God has always been morally perfect and he is still able to love freely.

Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

God won't do evil, but He has choice on other things. Also He gave his creation the choice to do evil.

God is the best of all creators, because he created things that have their own minds. He give us the free will. If he take away the ability to make bad choices, he take away the free will.

IMO I think God created this for fun. What fun in a movie if no one makes wrong choices?

It is clear God thinks differently.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@oiantz

I don't quite understand where you are going with this.
You can though, if you want to. You only need to consider it and make sense of it. After understanding it, you will know if it is flawed, and if so, then you can describe to me why.
1. He doesn't prefer one thing over another. His eternal moral perfection is an inherent part of his nature and that prevents him from ever being able to do evil. He cannot escape this part of him. All he can ever do is be holy and perfect for the rest of his existence. He can't opt out or choose an alternative. I think it is fair to say he doesn't have a choice.
What, like you and I don't have a choice to jump off a cliff? I think you are using a different word than you should be. It is basic sensible decision. Wisdom. Foolishness. Choice is about options. Silly options are still options because they are possible.
2. You said you were unsure about heaven being a place where moral perfection is possible for us. Do you really need me to explain this to you? I thought you would have a decent understanding of what heaven is according to the Bible...
I only know what I know about what the bible says about it. If you know of something in the bible that suggests I have not read it, please can you show it to me? I often do dismiss claims like this until I have seen proof of the reliability of those claims. Also, the bible does not immediately qualify a claim's reliability IMO. It depends who is making the statement and why I would consider them to be qualified to know.
If you want to continue a discussion feel free to answer:
I don't believe moral perfection is possible for our kind. I only believe total honesty is achievable. But, there is always going to be wrong done as long as our knowledge is incomplete. The distinction is that if we are honest, we would always choose to do right by others. That is willing morality. The bible says (Revelation) "there will be no more sorrow or death or pain", because none of us will choose to do that to each other.

Upvote 0