✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
bigboss88 said:
When I ask people what religion they are, they tell me "Catholic". Shouldn't they be saying "Christian"?

Even on some sites where you need to fill out a form about your religion, Christian and Catholic are 2 separate options? I'm a little confused...
It is because we always refer to things in their most specific form.
If someone asked you what you are for example, you would say "Man" or "Woman" and thus it would be the more specific form of "Human" which would be a correct answer, but not the most correct answer.

Upvote 0

Brother_Justin

Warrior of Our Lady
Apr 10, 2005
Iowa
✟4,587.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
bigboss88 said:
Catholics are this? how so?
We are the Church that Christ Himself came to earth to establish. We have perfect apostolic succesion. We adhere to the tradition of the first disciples and we, inside the church, hold the truths that Christ Himself established!

Im sure somone can give you a more detailed answer though ;)!

Brother Justin <M><

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
bigboss88 said:
bb,
The catholic Church teaches it was given the entire deposit of faith and has continued to maintain and protect it since Jesus founded the Church at pentecost.
Each group which has split away from the Church has done so because they have rejected some element of the faith which the catholic Church teaches. Thus the fullness of the faith is maintained only in the catholic Church, and those who have protested it only accept a portion of the catholic faith as true.

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Kusanagi said:
Somehow I have a feeling that some sites have heavily protestant biases that dont consider Catholicism as a Christian religion..
I will confirm your suspicions, Fundamentalist Evangelicals do NOT consider Catholicism to be Christian at all, but rather the religion of the Anti-Christ (whom they consider to be the Pope.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Look Homeward Anglican

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
United States
✟10,751.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
In many places in the world, to claim to be "Christian" is synonymous with being Catholic; if you say you are Christian there, everyone automatically knows you are Catholic.

In the United States it's different; here, Christian means evangelical or free-will baptist or mainline protestant (such as United Meth, Presbyterian, Southern Bap. Convention, etc...), non-denom, Church of Christ, and scores of other denominations -- but not Catholic. Here, we have to distinguish because there are literally scores of generic "Christians" in this country. We say "Catholic" to distinguish ourselves from all that.

Upvote 0

anawim

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2004
NY suburbs
Visit site
✟19,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
bigboss88 said:
When I ask people what religion they are, they tell me "Catholic". Shouldn't they be saying "Christian"?

Even on some sites where you need to fill out a form about your religion, Christian and Catholic are 2 separate options? I'm a little confused...

The term Catholic has been in use since 110 AD.

At first the followers of Christ were called "The Way", then Christians (a name applied by the pagans), and then last as Catholic, meaning Universal.

Upvote 0

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
bigboss88 said:

Because Catholics have received Christ's gift of the Church wherein the truth about Him has been taught for 2000 years, His Word has been reached for 2000 years and He Himself has been received Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity in the Holy Eucharist for 2000 years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SecretOfFatima

Our Lady of Fatima: Song of Solomon 6:10 (NIV)
Oct 21, 2005
Visit site
✟10,438.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree in many countries catholics just call themselfs christians, but I think as more and more denominations start to appear and sometimes with very similar names as the catholic church, but with views so far from the traditional catholic faith, the more people start to try to point out that they actually belong to the true church... even what i said here could cause massive arguments for some people that just simply reject the catholic church view and without the catholic view, please don't count me in, i have been there(without the catholic window) and i made my own mind about scripture, nothing made sense, until i came to realize that viewing everything from the catholic window starts to make complete sense. Thank GOD.

Maybe you want to check a couple of links below
http://www.ourcatholicfaith.org/thechurch.html
http://www.ourcatholicfaith.org/reasons.html

May the LORD bless you and keep you

Upvote 0

enelya_taralom

Catch the wave.....
Aug 2, 2004
✟10,398.00
Faith
Christian
bigboss88 said:
But if Catholic is the most accurate denomination, why do they only refrain from meat when they fast? and why would you need to confess your sins to a human? Isn't it between you and God?

im just curious :)

Hey bigboss, those are some pretty loaded questions, especially since you seem to be in a place where you have already decided they are wrong :) May I suggest starting another thread to address these questions (you'll get a better discussion that way)? I also recommend checking out this website: www.newman99.com

God Bless :hug:

Ps: I say "Catholic" not because I am not Christian, or because I seperate the two, but rather, because in saying "Catholic" I kill two birds with one stone: telling them I am Christian and what kind :)

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
bigboss88 said:
But if Catholic is the most accurate denomination, why do they only refrain from meat when they fast? and why would you need to confess your sins to a human? Isn't it between you and God?

im just curious :)

See, and I'm curious how those things relate to the beginning of your topic sentence. I'm curious too, about your manners. You are a guest here.

Upvote 0

bigboss88

Jul 19, 2006
✟7,629.00
Faith
Protestant
Carrye said:
See, and I'm curious how those things relate to the beginning of your topic sentence. I'm curious too, about your manners. You are a guest here.

Oh I didn't mean anything rude I was just curious why they do what they do. It doesn't really relate to my topic but it is another question I wanted the answer to hehe

How long will i be a guest for?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.