Why do street preachers use harsh ways to evangelise?

TaiKamiya720

Apr 4, 2016
South Florida Metro area
✟19,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I just went on a vacation to Washington DC. When I got to see the White House for the very first time in my life, I saw this crazy guy with a bullhorn and signs saying things like "Repent or Perish" and "God is going to judge you", screaming about Hell, judgement, things like how people loved their sin and how God wants them to change their ways. He was standing above the crowd in front of the White House shouting and ranting at the crowd around them. He also saying if they died tonight and they did not turn from their sins, he said that God is going to remind them of how he sent him to warn them and they ignored him. Then he said something like, "You're going to be cooked like chicken in hell if you don't Repent!!!"

That guy kinda disturbed my time at the White House. What that guy was doing was NOT a good way to evangelise because he was turning off people. I do evangelise but, unlike that rude street preaching guy I saw in DC who shouts at people, I walk to a person or a group of people and gently tell him/her/them about Christ and my church. What's the issue with these street preachers and why do they feel it's the best way to get people to Christ?

Julie.S

Jan 19, 2016
Pennsylvania
✟21,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have no idea what it is that makes people think standing on the street and yelling will do to bring people to God. I have been told to stay away from them for a long time. I consider that to be extreme behavior vs actually talking to someone about God in a civil way in a normal tone. Yelling will never get you far in much.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That guy kinda disturbed my time at the White House. What that guy was doing was NOT a good way to evangelise because he was turning off people. I do evangelise but, unlike that rude street preaching guy I saw in DC who shouts at people, I walk to a person or a group of people and gently tell him/her/them about Christ and my church. What's the issue with these street preachers?
To be sure, it's THESE kinds of street preachers that you're asking about. You're describing a sight that is the object of endless joking and even those Christians who think its important to spread the word as far and wide as possible normally think these kinds of figures are embarrassing.

It's rarely the case that they are actual preachers/ministers, by the way. There really aren't very many of them, but you may see some in places where many people of different backgrounds are thought likely to be heading.

Upvote 0

Julie.S

Jan 19, 2016
Pennsylvania
✟21,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To be sure, it's THESE kinds of street preachers that you're asking about. You're describing a sight that is the object of endless joking and even those Christians who think its important to spread the word as far and wide as possible normally think these kinds of figures are embarrassing.

It's rarely the case that they are actual preachers/ministers, by the way. There really aren't very many of them, but you may see some in places where many people of different backgrounds are thought likely to be heading.
They tend to be around conventions and things it seems now mostly because of said large amounts of people. These also make for some funny YouTube videos that I have seen floating around.

Upvote 0

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just went on a vacation to Washington DC. When I got to see the White House for the very first time in my life, I saw this crazy guy with a bullhorn

I think you saw what was wrong with his way of evangelizing from the very beggining. ^_^

Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just went on a vacation to Washington DC. When I got to see the White House for the very first time in my life, I saw this crazy guy with a bullhorn and signs saying things like "Repent or Perish" and "God is going to judge you", screaming about Hell, judgement, things like how people loved their sin and how God wants them to change their ways. He was standing above the crowd in front of the White House shouting and ranting at the crowd around them. He also saying if they died tonight and they did not turn from their sins, he said that God is going to remind them of how he sent him to warn them and they ignored him. Then he said something like, "You're going to be cooked like chicken in hell if you don't Repent!!!"

That guy kinda disturbed my time at the White House. What that guy was doing was NOT a good way to evangelise because he was turning off people. I do evangelise but, unlike that rude street preaching guy I saw in DC who shouts at people, I walk to a person or a group of people and gently tell him/her/them about Christ and my church. What's the issue with these street preachers and why do they feel it's the best way to get people to Christ?
Sounds like you're describing John the Baptist!

Upvote 0

Jason Sanders

Dec 26, 2015
Toms River
✟8,409.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
John the Baptist preached the need to repent of ones sins- he only ever spoke harshly to the Pharisees, because he knew they came to him without sincerity.

As for what you saw Tai, the others are right, most street ministers aren't like that at all. My church runs a street ministry every Saturday, and most of it consists of talking with people about God, praying for them, and then letting them go in their way. Sometimes we get Simeon willing to listen, sometimes people threaten us if we keep taking to them- but we never yell at people. Or threaten then with hell.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
John the Baptist preached the need to repent of ones sins- he only ever spoke harshly to the Pharisees, because he knew they came to him without sincerity.

As for what you saw Tai, the others are right, most street ministers aren't like that at all. My church runs a street ministry every Saturday, and most of it consists of talking with people about God, praying for them, and then letting them go in their way. Sometimes we get Simeon willing to listen, sometimes people threaten us if we keep taking to them- but we never yell at people. Or threaten then with hell.
I think sometimes ppl object to streetpreachers, not because of faults with them, but because of their message which they don't like at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jason Sanders

Dec 26, 2015
Toms River
✟8,409.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."
That's a lot different from "you'll cook like a chicken in hell if you don't repent" and I think you know that.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Finding God has become a business.
I think we need to get back to the simple preaching of the Word, rather than the mass evangelism, mass publicity, mass money way of doing things.

Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's a lot different from "you'll cook like a chicken in hell if you don't repent" and I think you know that.
It's colourful ... but John's equivalent was "burn with unquenchable fire".

Reactions: SpunkyDoodle
Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
I think we need to get back to the simple preaching of the Word, rather than the mass evangelism, mass publicity, mass money way of doing things.
Agreed.
Millionaire and pastor should be mutually exclusive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I think sometimes ppl object to streetpreachers, not because of faults with them, but because of their message which they don't like at all.
True that.
Like, those ppl who are forgiven and abiding with Christ
are not bothered by any of the street preachers noise or methods. (unless/ except false gospel preaching - but that's often IN church and not on the street).

There's no way you can tell someone they'll be gently thrown in hell , But I thought the being cooked like a chicken thingy he said was pretty unique . lol .. 2 Timothy 4:2

I think some of the plain- street- 'vulgar' language used in / throughout Scripture would make all this and street preachers SOUND TAME.
Such as:
"Sons of the devil" "VIPERS" and much much more illustrative language and
? word-pictures that show as vividly as possible the destruction awaiting
the man(even a ruler/leader/ king!) who takes a previously married woman as his wife when her first husband is still alive,

or someone who robs the widows and orphans and oppresses the poor daily,
or someone who crosses an ocean or a desert
to make a convert seven times the son of the devil as themselves !

Upvote 0