Why do some want to believe in Purgatory - even though it is against the Bible?

Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This Scripture quote never says that Scripture is complete.
My assertion was the man of God may be complete through Scripture. I don't consider the Bible incomplete, God has revealed that which we need. Some may feel you can add to the Word of God, but I'll kindly disagree.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe the Scriptures are materially sufficient in terms of the doctrines they teach. But there are things that are not in the Bible and they are important too. The Bible points us in the right direction, it tells of about what God expects for us with the two great commandments (Love God, love our neighbor) and to have faith in Jesus Christ, but it in itself is not enough to live a full Christian life under ordinary circumstances. God does not want us to be loners and biblicists, but to be truth-seekers in the community called the Church, following his Spirit.

Now, if you crashed on a desert island and just discovered a Bible and you came to faith in Christ, yes, I believe the Bible would be all you need. But that's an extraordinary case.

Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,209.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
2 timothy 3:16: All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Paul was referring to the Torah. The New Testament wasn't even all written when Paul wrote this to Timothy. So are you saying the Torah is all that is needed? I never heard a Christian propose such a thing.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Paul was referring to the Torah. The New Testament wasn't even all written when Paul wrote this to Timothy. So are you saying the Torah is all that is needed? I never heard a Christian propose such a thing.
I bet you wish that statement were true. Since the Pauline Epistles were inspired, Paul confirming this himself, along with Peter. 2 Timothy most likely being the last of his epistles, so between sixteen to twenty three preceding. Since the greek is used in general, it's quite clear the intent.

Are you suggesting Paul was not led by the Holy Spirit to speak of such things?

You would be well advised to study the Old Testament however, certainly useful. A host of errors seem to be deeply rooted in ignorance of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatTrueLight

John 1:9
Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Men need to understand that Christians are born again by the word of God.. the parable of the Sower and His seed could not make this more clear. You can't dis the word of God and expect to be born again.. because it is that incorruptible seed of His word which results in a person being born of God.

That would be like trying to grow something without seed. It's not going to happen, ever.

Upvote 0

ThatTrueLight

John 1:9
Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And there are plenty of cheap look alike seeds out there on the market.. they're not going to produce an increase.. only His good incorruptible seed is going to accomplish growth. We grow in the grace and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ by every word that proceeds from Him. Especially if you're a babe in Christ, then you absolutely need the sincere milk of the word.. THEN when you're ready for meat, there's a limitless supply of that too.

Period.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In that day sing to her,
A vineyard of red wine!
I, the Lord, keep it,
I water it every moment;
Lest any hurt it,
I keep it night and day.
Fury is not in Me.
Who would set briers and thorns
Against Me in battle?
I would go through them,
I would burn them together.
Or let him take hold of My strength,
That he may make peace with Me;
And he shall make peace with Me.
Those who come He shall cause to take root in Jacob;
Israel shall blossom and bud,
And fill the face of the world with fruit.
Has He struck Israel as He struck those who struck him?
Or has He been slain according to the slaughter of those who were slain by Him?
In measure, by sending it away,
You contended with it.
He removes it by His rough wind
In the day of the east wind.
Therefore by this the iniquity of Jacob will be covered;
And this is all the fruit of taking away his sin:
When he makes all the stones of the altar
Like chalkstones that are beaten to dust,
Wooden images and incense altars shall not stand.
Yet the fortified city will be desolate,
The habitation forsaken and left like a wilderness;
There the calf will feed, and there it will lie down
And consume its branches.
When its boughs are withered, they will be broken off;
The women come and set them on fire.
For it is a people of no understanding;
Therefore He who made them will not have mercy on them,
And He who formed them will show them no favor.
And it shall come to pass in that day
That the Lord will thresh,
From the channel of the River to the Brook of Egypt;
And you will be gathered one by one,
O you children of Israel.
So it shall be in that day:
The great trumpet will be blown;
They will come, who are about to perish in the land of Assyria,
And they who are outcasts in the land of Egypt,
And shall worship the Lord in the holy mount at Jerusalem.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My assertion was the man of God may be complete through Scripture. I don't consider the Bible incomplete, God has revealed that which we need. Some may feel you can add to the Word of God, but I'll kindly disagree.
But it doesn't say that.

God adds to His word even today.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But it doesn't say that.

God adds to His word even today.

Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.”

4 But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’”
Jesus said to him, “It is written again, ‘You shall not tempt the Lord your God.’”
Then Jesus said to him, “Away with you, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.

13 making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do.

20 To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me

15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.”

26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Church, each other. Christianity is not a lone person religion. Also we need Tradition as St. Paul said

I think maybe people have the impression that I don't consider all churches brothers in Christ, that's not true.

No person is asserting Christianity is a lone religion. We have all we need for salvation, for good works and conforming to godliness. Fellowship, edifying of others,the Lords Supper, baptism etc are all important. But to say God did not provide us with all we need without the RCC is insulting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"

You leave me not knowing whether it would be better to correct your glaring errors of fact, your way of putting words into other people's mouths in order to have a reply, your way of patronizing anyone who doesn't agree with your own confused religious ideas that have left you changing denominations every other day, or just let it all pass as too ridiculous to bother with.
Same here.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That does not say the Bible is complete, it says that the man of God may be complete. Totally different things, the Bible was not meant to be the only thing but evangelical and fundamentalism made it into that.
No they didn't. You exaggerate. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think maybe people have the impression that I don't consider all churches brothers in Christ, that's not true.

No person is asserting Christianity is a lone religion. We have all we need for salvation, for good works and conforming to godliness. Fellowship, edifying of others,the Lords Supper, baptism etc are all important. But to say God did not provide us with all we need without the RCC is insulting.

It is insulting that you think I said that. I am not Catholic nor did I ever say we needed the Catholic Church. What I did say is we need the Church, the Bible was not meant to contain everything but evangelicals/fundamentalist have come up with this strange notion. You'll not find this strange notion in the Bible and even St. Paul has said to maintain the Traditions that were hand down by word and mouth and St. Paul saying that the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth; He never said that the Bible is the pillar and foundation of truth.

Do you know what you got with any tom, richard, or harry thinks they know what the Bible teaches and contains everything? 30,000 plus denominations and rampant heresy in many places

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is insulting that you think I said that. I am not Catholic nor did I ever say we needed the Catholic Church. What I did say is we need the Church, the Bible was not meant to contain everything but evangelicals/fundamentalist have come up with this strange notion. You'll not find this strange notion in the Bible and even St. Paul has said to maintain the Traditions that were hand down by word and mouth and St. Paul saying that the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth; He never said that the Bible is the pillar and foundation of truth.

Do you know what you got with any tom, richard, or harry thinks they know what the Bible teaches and contains everything? 30,000 plus denominations and rampant heresy in many places

It is insulting that you think I said that of you.

Did God tell you this, that His word is inadequate? word and mouth.

I'm not familiar with tom, richard or harry. Did they have the Holy Spirit?

Can you explain to me what is left out of the Bible which prevents us from salvation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is insulting that you think I said that of you.

Did God tell you this, that His word is inadequate? word and mouth.

I'm not familiar with tom, richard or harry. Did they have the Holy Spirit?

Can you explain to me what is left out of the Bible which prevents us from salvation?

I can see you have little knowledge in somethings you must be from another country, not a slight an observation. Tom, richard, and harry is a saying and it's not richard but the site filter filters out the word that one should use. Further I am done with this silliness I never said that the Bible prevents us from Salvation but that not everything is contained in the Bible, yes if all you had is a Bible on an island you cold begin the Salvation process. However not all Christians belief can be easily ascertained from the Bible like the Trinity or the hypostatic union. Even the Bible has an example of this when the first Church council was convened and they dealt with an issue not found in the Bible weather gentiles needed to be circumcised. That was not in the OT anywhere so the council decided that the gentiles did not need to be circumcised. This shows where one area the the Bible at the time (the ot) did not relate to every question that someone might have.

Yes the Bible is profitable for Salvation and instruction, but no where does it say the Bible is the only thing to Christianity

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can see you have little knowledge in somethings you must be from another country, not a slight an observation. Tom, richard, and harry is a saying and it's not richard but the site filter filters out the word that one should use. Further I am done with this silliness I never said that the Bible prevents us from Salvation but that not everything is contained in the Bible, yes if all you had is a Bible on an island you cold begin the Salvation process. However not all Christians belief can be easily ascertained from the Bible like the Trinity or the hypostatic union. Even the Bible has an example of this when the first Church council was convened and they dealt with an issue not found in the Bible weather gentiles needed to be circumcised. That was not in the OT anywhere so the council decided that the gentiles did not need to be circumcised. This shows where one area the the Bible at the time (the ot) did not relate to every question that someone might have.

Yes the Bible is profitable for Salvation and instruction, but no where does it say the Bible is the only thing to Christianity

So what was the purpose of your argument? I know the saying, guess you missed the intent. I did not assert Christianity is a lone religion, nor did I deny it's importance, like I said earlier.

My point is, and always has been; Gods Word is the foundation of truth, authority and doctrine.

I'm glad we have come to agreement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
but it's not all there is, nor was it meant to be that way. It was modern evangelicals that said the Bible is all one needs, it was never that way in Church history. While the Bible may have been and is a high source it is not the only one the Bible came out of Tradition

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is insulting that you think I said that. I am not Catholic nor did I ever say we needed the Catholic Church. What I did say is we need the Church, the Bible was not meant to contain everything
...and you know this to be true...HOW?

IMHO, we need to establish the correctness of this point before going forth with any discussion b based upon the premise that it IS true.

but evangelicals/fundamentalist have come up with this strange notion. You'll not find this strange notion in the Bible and even St. Paul has said to maintain the Traditions that were hand down by word and mouth and St. Paul saying that the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth; He never said that the Bible is the pillar and foundation of truth.
Two flatout errors there ^ make me all the more certain that you need to prove your assumptions about the Bible or else there's nothing here to talk about (unless it's that you aren't an "evangelical" and, although not a Roman Catholic, have adopted that church's theories on the Bible). We could discuss all of THAT if you wish.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0