Why do some married people think its okay to get fat?

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟838,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, LbF - that's awful! :( Praying for you to heal quickly so you can enjoy as much of the cruise as possible. Thank God for the ladies who came to your assistance! :hug: & :prayer:
Thanks for the hug and prayer. They're working. Day 2 of the 7-day cruise. There is internet access on board, but it ain't cheap, so I'm conserving.

I'm doing much better. A chicken-egg sized bruise on the palm of my hand, near my thumb, tells me I could have broken my wrist, but I didn't. There are small bruises on my shoulder, elbow, hip, and calf. Other than that I'm fine, and back to merely using a cane. It could have been so much worse. Thank you, God!

According to the scale in the salon on the ship, my total weight loss is nearly 20 pounds. But it didn't seem very zero-balanced, and I've been advised that the ship's rocking makes it unreliable. So I will have to wait until I go back to the doctor to get a more trustworthy reading.

Will check back. Hugs and blessings all around.

Upvote 0

dinonum

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
Indiana
✟29,804.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm just curious because I know men and women who got married and got fat. I know some who even got divorced... got thin... then got remarried and got refat. What gives?

Something that always makes me smile when I see it is a healthy looking woman with a guy who looks pregnant. I'm sure the laughter in my eyes gives me away every time I see this.
I don't know that married people think it's okay. It's just what typically happens when people grow stagnant.

As for myself. I gained almost 75 pounds after we got married. Mostly due to the issues with adjusting to portions being so wonky between a 6'2" man and his 5'3" wife. The other part was related to massive depression. I have actually lost OVER 75 pounds though in the last two years and no divorce needed :p

Overall, I think that all couples/spouses should want to be healthy. It improves your sex life. It improves your quality of life. Etc.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟838,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lovebirdsflying, it's the 4 year anniversary of your join date!

Thank you for noticing. I hadn't. :hug:

Just got back home, about an hour ago. Between the abundance of food on the ship, and the fact that I couldn't really exercise until the last couple of days of the cruise, I might even have gained some of that weight back. :( But it'll come off again.

One night, when the ship was on open seas as opposed to hiding behind islands, the ride got a little rocky. Hubby and his cousin and I went up on the pool deck around midnight, and we saw how the water was bouncing around. Standing on the steps, you could be in water up to your knees one minute, and your waist the next. It was like a wave pool. So we decided to take a midnight swim, in that choppy water, and it was just too much fun. :D I mentioned to cousin that swimming is about the only thing athletic that I am able to do, and he recommends it. I don't want to join a gym just for pool access, and the Y is too hard to get to in this city, so we're looking into where there are public pools around here.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Swimming is good exercise. Especially for cardio. At least it is for me. My lungs always get a good work out when I swim.

Agreed. For me personally part of the great cardio workout is that I'm so spectacularly inefficient at swimming that it takes way more energy than really needed to flog myself across the pool!:D

Seriously, swimming is an exercise that is easy on the body for people who are dealing with weight related issues that make it hard to walk, jog, or cycle. Plantar fasciitis, sore knees, back pain - all have much lower or no impact when you're swimming. For many the biggest challenge often is the mental step of putting on a swim suit to get in the public pool and start doing laps.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟838,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While I can do a free-style crawl, I specialize in a back stroke, but I do it with both arms at the same time. According to Wikipedia:

A variant is to move both arms synchronized and not alternating, similar to an upside down butterfly stroke. This is easier to coordinate, and the peak speed during the combined power phase is faster, yet the speed is much slower during the combined recovery. The average speed will usually be less than the average speed of the alternating stroke.​

Well, I'm not going for speed but for strength and endurance. And if speed were a factor, I can do the alternating stroke too.

Hubby does, like, this supersonic side stroke I've never seen before. He's only swimming on one side, not alternating, but boy does it move him to the other side of the pool. Turns out it's a recognized stroke too, and recommended as a rescue move, so if someone is drowning and he's there, he's good to go.

It turns out that there is a municipal pool around here. Good to know. Right now we're pinching pennies. Even though MIL treated us to the cruise, there were parts of our vacation we had to pay for ourselves, and now we're buying a house. So even though paying the year-round fee for the pool membership is much cheaper than joining a gym, it's not at priority one right now. Let's get settled in first. And, his cousin being a nurse, has friends who may be able to connect me to a work-at-home medical transcription and coding position. It would be perfect for me. If this can materialize, then we'll get those pool memberships and get more exercise.

Upvote 0