Why do good buddhist monks go to hell?

It was stated in an earlier post that getting into heaven often seems to be the only motivation for being godly. Heaven is the ultimate reward, so what more do you need. We (Christians) do not miss what is going on in life. We detest what is going on in life because it conflicts with god’s word. God tells us not to love the world. He say’s to be in the world but not of the world. Our purpose on this earth is to serve god and be an EXAMPLE to those who do not know god. God has said what he is really trying to say. If you add anything to the teaching in the bible, they are your own teachings and not those of the creator. God is all-powerful. It is not that he CANNOT welcome you into heaven, if you are a wonderful person but otherwise don’t believe that Jesus died for your sins. He has said that we WILL NOT, welcome you into heaven if you don’t believe that Jesus died for your sins. You do not know the mind of god; therefore you cannot form opinions or theories about what he will do. Yes he has the power to let anyone into heaven. Will he change his mind? According to his word, he will not. And that is all you know. I do not remember the scripture but I remember reading that a wife can save her non-believing husband, if she is faithful. I will return with the reference so this can be verified, but until then find it for yourself in the New Testament.

Upvote 0

spinto

Jun 26, 2003
Texas
✟850.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Then, Luke Warm, In your statement, you support that I say Christians Are only Faithful to the Lord because he is paying them with heaven. Not because your soul is Good in itself.

Sorry, that seems empty and ill modivated. A person that is doing what they are supposed for the supreme reason the are getting payed in the end for it is such an awful reflection on what Christians think Man Kind should be like. I even refuse to believe this is ALL christian modivations.

I like to think life is a gift. You seem to live it like a curse. I hope you are happier in the next life.

And no, I don't add to the teachings in the bible. I reject it completely as a rule book for life. But, I do welcome it as a reflection of human thought. Really, I believe Men gathered together to write that collection of books in order to CONTROLE mass population. It was genius and worked very well.

How do YOU know I don't know the mind of God? (and don't say because the bible tells you so. I can assure you it wasn't writen with ME in mind). My "doctrine" says that I do. I won't claim YOU don't because that is not for me to decide. Free will is mine I can willfully form any opinion I want. Actually, I believe your doctrine also teaches that (since I have to freely CHOOSE Jesus Christ in order to be saved).

I believe you about scripture stating that a wife can "save" a non-believing husband. I think I heard of that once before.

Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

Waiting4tomorrow said:
No, I didn't say that, but I guess I didn't NOT say that either. I believe that a person that continuously and purposefully sins, (e.g. a child molesting mass murderer) is not going to go to heaven. You cannot follow Jesus AND live in consious deliberate sin. That said, I also believe a person that WAS a child molesting mass murderer can turn from his ways and be forgiven, and thus saved. If he truely repents (turns away) from his evil ways and turns towards God, and believes that Jesus died to save him from his sins, then he will be saved.

this raises a bit of a conundrum though doesn't it? I mean, tomorrow I could get axed to death by an insane mass murderer, and God would not have done anything about this, as he does not interfere in peoples' free will. Now currently I do not believe in God and hence I would go to hell, however if this person doesn't axe me to death, I might get a spare five minutes sometime and see the truth in the bible. so if it wasn't for the fact that someone else excercised their free will, I would have gone to heaven. now this is an extreme example, and can also include alot more subtle examples which could either get me to believe or stop me from believing. but it raises a difficulty in that someone elses free will ends up denying my free will and a future place in heaven. what is your position on that (and don't say hurry up and repent!)

Reactions: vajradhara
Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

luke warm said:
God is all-powerful. It is not that he CANNOT welcome you into heaven, if you are a wonderful person but otherwise don’t believe that Jesus died for your sins. He has said that we WILL NOT, welcome you into heaven if you don’t believe that Jesus died for your sins.

this just amounts to spiritual hoop jumping though. there are an awful lot of bad people out there who believe in jesus who will get into heaven, because they believe what they are doing is right according to scripture.

Upvote 0
I do not support that Christians are only faithful to the lord because of the reward. I only asked the question, “what more do you need”? Of coarse you have to believe in god and love god also. The intent of that statement was to prevent someone from down playing the reward. I do agree that life is a gift, but only because it gives you the opportunity to go to heaven. Without life there is no death, without death there is no heaven. In order to know someone or some beings mind you would have to know them. If you do not believe what is in the bible, what knowledge do you have of god. Sure anybody can form an opinion about anything, I guess I should have said an educated opinion.

Upvote 0
Jumping through hoops can be dangerous in any form. Jesus said “He that believes and is baptized shall be saved.” Believing is only half the requirement. Jesus also tells us to hold on to his words and obey him. I won’t judge anyone or call them “bad”. But for the sake of argument, bad people who believe are LUKE WARM. God said he will chew them up and spit them out.

Upvote 0

spinto

Jun 26, 2003
Texas
✟850.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You prove falacy when you state the BIBLE is the ONLY Knowledge of God (it may be the only Christian referance of God but, certainly not the only knowlege). You assume that this is truth ALL people should accept in order to be educated or correct about this topic of GOD. This points to a sweeping generalization because it leads us to understand that you're saying ALL people who do not read and follow the bible do not know god. Any freshman college english course would tell you this falacy. You could never support it on a FACTUAL basis because something as abstract as spiritualiy can not be proven. It can only be supported by scripture. And all scripture proves, is Christianity as a form of belief, exist in the world.

That IS an educated view point.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
luke warm said:
I do not support that Christians are only faithful to the lord because of the reward. I only asked the question, “what more do you need”? Of coarse you have to believe in god and love god also. The intent of that statement was to prevent someone from down playing the reward. I do agree that life is a gift, but only because it gives you the opportunity to go to heaven.
So you do not believe that life is a gift, so that you may serve others?

Without life there is no death, without death there is no heaven. In order to know someone or some beings mind you would have to know them. If you do not believe what is in the bible, what knowledge do you have of god.
How did Abram do it? It worked fine for him.

Sure anybody can form an opinion about anything, I guess I should have said an educated opinion.
Careful, brother... That could be interpreted as a borderline flame, which is a violation of Christian Forums Rules.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

usadingo

Jun 24, 2003
Kansas
Visit site
✟281.00
Faith
Christian
spinto said:
And no, I don't add to the teachings in the bible. I reject it completely as a rule book for life. But, I do welcome it as a reflection of human thought. Really, I believe Men gathered together to write that collection of books in order to CONTROLE mass population. It was genius and worked very well.
66 books written by over 40 different authors over the process of 1,500 years. Must have been a long meeting...

Anyway, we have to remember that God is infinitly good, and infinitly holy. Any sin against him must be infinitly just. Remember, no one is perfect. We've all sinned.
People often view rejecting God's gift as no big deal as long as you've lived a good life. What one has to remember is, rejecting Christ ultimately says you believe everything He's said is a lie, His death for you was in vain and not necessary, and you can make it on your own. To me, that's a little more serious than simply rejecting God's gift.

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Namaste all,

should i say again that the Buddhist monk won't go to hell? further more, even were he to do so, it would only be for a period of time, not eternally.

probably not since this thread was really asking 'why should someone that is "good" but doesn't accept Jesus suffer an eternity of punishment?'

the inclusion of the person being a Buddhist (but since he's dating that would perforce exlude him from being a monk) is simply a happenstance of the circumstance.

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
luke warm said:
we are not here to serve anyone. we are here to serve god and be an example to non believers, so that we may lead them to god.
I think life entails a bit more than that.
We are also here on this planet to serve each other, to love one another and make life just a bit more bearable for the people around us.

i'm not sure what you mean about abram.
You posted, "If you do not believe what is in the bible, what knowledge do you have of god."
I think what Humblejoe meant was that the bible was non-existant in Abram's time yet he had knowledge of God.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Why, thank you Annabel... :hug:

For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. -- Galatians 5:13, NASB

and...

'For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.' "Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? 'And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 'When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' "The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.' -- Matthew 25:35-40, NASB

So, we are to serve others, and in doing so, we are serving Christ. :)

Upvote 0
L

Lion & the Lamb

Pardon me, Budhists and monks go to hell because they approach God with vegetables like Cain. But like Abel's animal sacrifice, [Gen. 2] God requires the shedding of blood for remission of sins, period.

God had already demonstrated this to Adam and Eve when He clothed them with coats of animal skins and pointed them to the coming seed of the woman, Jesus Christ who would become the one sacrifice for sins. God loved them so much that He did not want to loose them forever, so He provided a way for them to get back to him. It was up to them to choose that way or be lost forever. When we work we are paid wages so sin's wage is death. But the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord [Rom. 6:23] who said I am the way.

Every now and then, a Jew used to kill an animal as a substitutional sacrifice for his sins. Even the prophets foretold about Jesus in the old testament [Is. 53] that He would come and die for the sins of mankind once and for all and by His wounds we'd receive our healing. In coming into the world, He established a sure covenant with men. Animal's blood is corruptable but Jesus blood is incorruptable, the pure and holy blood of God. Jesus died for our sins once and for all that we might live as He lives and spend eternity with Him in heaven.

All one needs, is to believe and accept this one sacrifice for sins, Jesus Christ. Then there'll be no going to hell for sacrificing veggies or reaching heaven some other way other than the Way God designed for man.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

vajradhara

Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
naturally, the Buddhist has no interest in going to heaven either :) as for the "Monk".. well, there are Christian monks and they will probably want to get to Heaven... but perhaps you simply meant Buddhist monks ;)

as Buddhists don't ascribe to the interpetation of "God" that Christains do it would be illogical for them to desire the same end as a Christian does. ergo, they go to hell in your belief system... as would a Salvation Army person, for that matter.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
usadingo said:
73, by my last count... ;)

People often view rejecting God's gift as no big deal as long as you've lived a good life. What one has to remember is, rejecting Christ ultimately says you believe everything He's said is a lie, His death for you was in vain and not necessary, and you can make it on your own. To me, that's a little more serious than simply rejecting God's gift.
So rejecting Christ and living a moral life is worse than rejecting Christ and living an immoral life? :scratch: By living a moral life, by loving and serving others, you are in agreeance with God's commandments. I don't think God would send you to Hell for not having said a single "sinner's prayer." Actions speak louder than words, or so the saying goes. And no one earns their way into Heaven. It is only by the grace of God and His Son's Passion that those that are righteous may be granted the Beatific Vision.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Lion & the Lamb said:
Pardon me, Budhists and monks go to hell
What types of monks are you describing? There are many...

And how can you be sure that all buddhists and monks go to Hell? I would not attempt to sit in the Judgment Seat of God if I were you, unless you find yourself without blemish, and with total knowledge and wisdom, else you be consumed.

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
humblejoe said:

And how can you be sure that all buddhists and monks go to Hell? I would not attempt to sit in the Judgment Seat of God if I were you, unless you find yourself without blemish, and with total knowledge and wisdom, else you be consumed.

indeed... how does that saying go...

if you are without sin, be the first to cast the stone.. or something like that..

Upvote 0
L

Lion & the Lamb

humblejoe said:

I was talking about monks who come to God some other way other than the way He has designed through His Son -Jesus Christ.
Where did I attempt to sit in the judgement seat of Christ? Have you forgotten what Paul said in 1Co 6:2 "Don't you know that God's people will judge the world? Well, then, if you are to judge the world, aren't you capable of judging small matters?"
1Co 6:3 "Do you not know that we shall judge the angels? How much more, then, the things of this life!"

and when did I give the signal that I was without blemish and with total knowledge and wisdom? I'm just a sinner like you and needed the same blood of Christ for the forgiveness of my many sins. I was just stating what the Bible believes. Without the shedding of blood there's no remission of sins - Heb 9:22 "Indeed, according to the Law almost everything is purified by blood, and sins are forgiven only if blood is poured out."

That's the only way God has designed for mankind to approach Him. Black and white! If God has spoken truth through the channel of the Scriptures, and I keep my mouth zipped when I know about it, then your blood will be on my head. But as for now it's no longer on me and I am not at all responsible!

Upvote 0