Why do Christians sin so much?

Is it true that only Christians can sin and go to hell and all atheists cannot sin or go to hell?

• True, sin and hell is a Christian concept

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • False

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If one is agnostic and doesn't know if there is a god

Such a person does not exist according to the Bible (everyone knows God exists):

Romans 1:18-20 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. (19) For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. (20) For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

Upvote 0

Demetrius194

HolySprit+ClearConscience=Salvation
Oct 3, 2015
✟15,407.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not going to judge a Christian who has trouble overcoming. There are times in a Christians life where they may be under so much emotional and spiritual pressure that they may give into sin. However there is a lot of difference between sloppy living, and a battle. God has not given us grace so we can just do as we like.

Proverbs 15:24 To the wise the way of life goeth upward, That he may depart from Hell beneath

A believer will do as the above verse in proverbs says, move upward (away from sin), that he may move away from hell.
I would almost agree, but again, I would say it all depends on what the person's conscience is like. I mean there is no sin outside our own conscience, so to say, since no thing is unclean in itself (Romans 14:14), being unclean only to those who are afterwards convicted in their conscience of having sinned (Leviticus 5:3). Of course, as I already said before, some people have their conscience seared -- they have chosen to disregard their conscience towards certain sins, and haven't promptly dealt with guilt, thus ruining their faith, whose integrity depends on clarity of conscience (1 Timothy 1:19). Though they may think they are saved, they are not, and the lack of inner peace testifies of it.

As a result of these things, it is hard to say that because this or that person leads a sloppy life, he or she is unsaved. I mean what if this person has enough faith to not judge themselves for it and thus continues to have clarity of conscience unhindered (we are said to not judge others to avoid being judged, but we are also told to treat our selves as we treat others!)? To everyone a different measure of faith is given.

Having said that, I would agree that because Paul did preach what you are saying -- how we must show forth the glory of Christ in our daily walk -- that if we only shame God by our walk, it is highly likely that this person's relationship with God is suffering, his or her conscience is often unclean, and his or her salvation often in jeopardy, perhaps requiring an interference of other Christians with advice / prayer, in order to help get the person onto a more solid ground.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've never met an atheist who sins or is going to hell but Christians just cant seem to stop sinning, why do they do it so much?
If we were under severe persecution like those in communist China there would be a natural weeding out of hypocrites and Christianity would not be a spectator sport.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would almost agree, but again, I would say it all depends on what the person's conscience is like. I mean there is no sin outside our own conscience, so to say, since no thing is unclean in itself (Romans 14:14), being unclean only to those who are afterwards convicted in their conscience of having sinned (Leviticus 5:3). Of course, as I already said before, some people have their conscience seared -- they have chosen to disregard their conscience towards certain sins, and haven't promptly dealt with guilt, thus ruining their faith, whose integrity depends on clarity of conscience (1 Timothy 1:19). Though they may think they are saved, they are not, and the lack of inner peace testifies of it.

As a result of these things, it is hard to say that because this or that person leads a sloppy life, he or she is unsaved. I mean what if this person has enough faith to not judge themselves for it and thus continues to have clarity of conscience unhindered (we are said to not judge others to avoid being judged, but we are also told to treat our selves as we treat others!)? To everyone a different measure of faith is given.

Having said that, I would agree that because Paul did preach what you are saying -- how we must show forth the glory of Christ in our daily walk -- that if we only shame God by our walk, it is highly likely that this person's relationship with God is suffering, his or her conscience is often unclean, and his or her salvation often in jeopardy, perhaps requiring an interference of other Christians with advice / prayer, in order to help get the person onto a more solid ground.

Hi,

I used to think Romans 14:14 meant that the conscience determines sin, and to a certain degree it does. But not to the degree that we can say "there is no sin outside our own conscience".

You have to look at the context of the passage Paul was talking about food, now food types were classed as "clean", or "unclean". Other sins such as Homosexuality, were called abominations to God, thefts, murders, etc.

Now lets look at the passage in context, Paul is talking about food and eating, so about clean and unclean foods:

Rom 14:2-3 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

Rom 14:14-15 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.

Rom 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Now note Romans 14:17 it says the Kingdom of God is not about food, but what is it about? Righteousness doing God's commands.

1Jn 3:6-7 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

1Jn 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

But in saying all that above, we have to be careful that we don't make everything a sin. i.e. like watching a movie, etc.

Ecc 7:16-17 Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself over wise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself? Be not over much wicked, neither be thou foolish: why shouldest thou die before thy time?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've never met an atheist who sins or is going to hell but Christians just cant seem to stop sinning, why do they do it so much?

Truth [about sin] does not depend on what you or I believe. You don't have to believe in sin to commit sin; no more than you have to believe in oxygen to breath.

I'd be willing to bet that a true, repentant, regenerated child of God does not go on in sin:

1 John 3:9-11
1 John 5:18
Hebrews 10:26

Im sure there are also a lot of people who say they are Christian but are really not. You will know them by their fruits.

Reactions: Radrook
Upvote 0