Why do Baptists reject the Apostles' Creed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

12volt_man

Jan 8, 2004
✟9,150.00
Faith
Christian
SVH said:
I have always known and acknowlegde the Apostles' Creed. I was quite shocked to hear that Baptists reject this. Why?

I've been a baptist since I was saved eighteen years ago. I'm a leader in my church and am active in our local association. This is the first I've heard of baptists rejecting the Apostles' Creed.

Upvote 0

Gold Dragon

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,460.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Matthan said:
Personally, I reject Mary as being of any consequence to Scriptural Christianity. Furthermore, I do not even see any need to even mention or include her in any creed or personal statement of faith, either!

The reason Mary was included in the various creeds was to combat heresies that appeared to challenge the virgin birth.

The Chalcedonian Creed which was determined in 451 AD in the Council of Chalcedon was a response to Nestorianism.

Upvote 0

Maeyken

Senior Veteran
Jul 28, 2004
Hamilton
✟20,300.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
lambslove said:
I grew up in the byzantine catholic tradition and our version of the apostle's creed didn't say, "descended into hell." Our roman catholic cousins' creed had that, but ours didn't.

Did yours say something else instead, or did it just leave that line out?

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Maeyken said:
Did yours say something else instead, or did it just leave that line out?

Just left it out. I didn't even know that ever existed in the creed until I heard my cousins reciting it one day. Obviously the byzantine rite disagreed with the Roman rite about whether or not that was appropriate in the creed. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.