Why do Baptists reject the Apostles' Creed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
Gold Dragon said:
I don't reject it.

But some baptists take pride in being non-credal since they see creeds as extensions of Catholic Tradition. Those same baptists often emphasize statements of belief which are essentially creeds.

The recitation of creeds in liturgy are also seen as empty ritual to some Baptists.
ooohhhh
okay...thanks for helping me over that blonde moment :D

I was really struggling to find what was wrong with it...even after you set me straight on nicene and aspostle's heh...

Oh boy...today's a day where I need to leave my puter alone ;)

Thanks again :wave:

as a side note: I rather enjoy liturgical music as well...love using it for preludes and offertories....guess I shouldn't reveal to the congregation what I'm actually playing huh?

Upvote 0

BT

Fanatic
Jan 29, 2003
Canada
Visit site
✟3,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Gold Dragon said:
There seems to be some confusion between the Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed.

The Nicene Creed was written in the First Council of Nicea in 325AD and was a response to Arianism. Gwenyfur quoted it above and it did include a line about the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

The Apostle's Creed is suspected to be written in the first or second centuries as a response to Gnosticism. Arians could also agree to the Apostles Creed so the Nicene Creed was created to solidify the doctrine of the Trinity, among other things.

Here is the text of the Apostle's Creed although many modern versions of the creed substitute "into hell" with "to the dead".

I reject the capitalization of "Virgin"

Upvote 0

BT

Fanatic
Jan 29, 2003
Canada
Visit site
✟3,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Gold Dragon said:
There seems to be some confusion between the Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed.

The Nicene Creed was written in the First Council of Nicea in 325AD and was a response to Arianism. Gwenyfur quoted it above and it did include a line about the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

The Apostle's Creed is suspected to be written in the first or second centuries as a response to Gnosticism. Arians could also agree to the Apostles Creed so the Nicene Creed was created to solidify the doctrine of the Trinity, among other things.

Here is the text of the Apostle's Creed although many modern versions of the creed substitute "into hell" with "to the dead".

I reject wikpedia!

Upvote 0

BT

Fanatic
Jan 29, 2003
Canada
Visit site
✟3,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Gold Dragon said:
I don't reject it.

But some baptists take pride in being non-credal since they see creeds as extensions of Catholic Tradition. Those same baptists often emphasize statements of belief which are essentially creeds.

The recitation of creeds in liturgy are also seen as empty ritual to some Baptists.

I reject the recitation of creeds in liturgy or bigurgy!!

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I really don't see what you guys don't like about the creeds. Yes, I don't agree with the "descended into hell" part either. But if the creed was written in Greek, and the word hades was used, then I suppose that techinically that sentence would be correct.

As for the Nicene Creed, I think this one happens to be absolutely correct. Yes, humans wrote the creed, but these weren't just any humans. The men who wrote the Nicene Creed had risked their lives for the Gospel. I think we need to show some respect to the works of the early Christian church.

And we need to show a bit more respect for our brethren in the Catholic Church. The Nicene Creed isn't Catholic, because many Protestants use it too. In any case, Catholics are Christians too, so I really don't understand why some here are so averse to them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Matthan

Veteran
Aug 21, 2004
Upstate New York
✟2,689.00
Faith
Baptist
The problem with "creeds" most often lies in the interpretation. For example, look at the simple and very Christian statement about "one Baptism" contained in the creed reprinted above. That is an absolute fact of Christianity. However, different denominations have differing definitions of what constitutes that one, single Baptism. Some claim it is by water, sprinkled, poured, or dunked into. While I agree there is one Baptism, I reject the notion that it is by water in any way.

If we are not baptized by the Holy Spirit, then we are not baptized at all. But there are those who would physiclaly attack me for such a notion, such is their belief in water as a salvific source.

Furthermore, if you go through any "creed" that is accepted by any Christian entity, you will find more examples of differences in interpretation. BT pointed up the capital "V" in virgin, and rightfully so. It should be a small "v" because it is not a "title" of anything. However, there are several denominations, and many individuals, who would disagree most voiciferously, possibly even unto the point of physical violence. Such is the love and respect they attribute to Mary, the mother of Jesus. Any preceived insult against her is no different than a similarly preceived insult against their own physical mothers. Personally, I reject Mary as being of any consequence to Scriptural Christianity. Furthermore, I do not even see any need to even mention or include her in any creed or personal statement of faith, either!

So, I reject all "creeds". My beliefs are simple, and based on Scripture alone. And, should anyone try to equate my personal statement of faith as being a "creed", I would disagree. It is my personal statement of faith, and each precept that it contains is supported by solid Scripture, and with no question of interpretation. It applies only to me, and not to any denomination or congregation. Furthermore, while I believe it with all of my heart, I do not repeat it, ritualistically or otherwise. I choose to leave the rituals to those who need them. Personally, I do not.

Matthan <J>< (Festina Lente)

Upvote 0

Gold Dragon

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,460.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Matthan said:
So, I reject all "creeds". My beliefs are simple, and based on Scripture alone. And, should anyone try to equate my personal statement of faith as being a "creed", I would disagree. It is my personal statement of faith, and each precept that it contains is supported by solid Scripture, and with no question of interpretation. It applies only to me, and not to any denomination or congregation. Furthermore, while I believe it with all of my heart, I do not repeat it, ritualistically or otherwise. I choose to leave the rituals to those who need them. Personally, I do not.

That is wonderful for you.

Just recognize that creeds just happen to be personal statements of faith that many Christians agree with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gold Dragon

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,460.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
arunma said:
Actually, Wikipedia is written largely by devil-worshiping atheists. Be careful not to trust it too far on religious matters.

Are you serious? Did you know you can correct the lies of those devil-worshipping atheists? Please, show me one religious page where those devil-worshipping atheists have misrepresented the truth. I'm not saying it isn't possible but I would like to see it. And correct it when I do.

I wrote and edited most of the page on Baptists in Wikipedia. So what does that make me?

FYI, a devil worshipper is not an atheist. ;)

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Gold Dragon said:
Are you serious? Did you know you can correct the lies of those devil-worshipping atheists? Show me one page where those devil-worshipping atheists have misrepresented the truth

I wrote and edited most of the page on Baptists in Wikipedia. So what does that make me?

I read the page on Baptists. Good job! It represents us quite well. As for the atheist pages, just check out some of the information on creationism. I'm not really much of a creationist (in fact, I don't like the way creationists often lie about science), and even I know that atheists misrepresented the issue.

Gold Dragon said:
FYI, a devil worshipper is not an atheist. ;)

I disagree with that. People who claim to be satanists are certainly foolish, but I don't think they really believe anything they say. Atheists are the real devil-worshipers. When you worship yourself as atheists do, who are you really worshiping? I think that atheism is equivalent to blasphemy of the Spirit, which is the unforgivable sin.

Upvote 0

Gold Dragon

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,460.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
arunma said:
I read the page on Baptists. Good job! It represents us quite well. As for the atheist pages, just check out some of the information on creationism. I'm not really much of a creationist (in fact, I don't like the way creationists often lie about science), and even I know that atheists misrepresented the issue.

Could you link to a page about creationism that misrepresents creationists and highlight the misrepresentation?

My creation theology is much closer to Theistic Evolution so Creationism doesn't get much sympathy from me. But I would still correct any misrepresentation of Creationists if there are any.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
arunma said:
When you worship yourself as atheists do, who are you really worshiping? I think that atheism is equivalent to blasphemy of the Spirit, which is the unforgivable sin.

I know a lot of atheists, and was one once, and this is pretty much wrong straight through. Atheists do not "worship themselves", and if atheism were the unforgiveable sin, then no one could ever convert to Christianity.

Upvote 0

12volt_man

Jan 8, 2004
✟9,150.00
Faith
Christian
SVH said:
I have always known and acknowlegde the Apostles' Creed. I was quite shocked to hear that Baptists reject this. Why?

I've been a baptist since I was saved eighteen years ago and am a leader in my church and in our local association. This is the first I've heard of baptists rejecting the Apostles' Creed.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.