Why didn't the virgins with the lamps, share their oil?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Why didn't the virgins with the lamps share their oil with the others?

Kinda goes against everything we've been taught from Jesus about sharing, being generous and giving, doesn't it?

I know somebody who was/is sharing their food with neighbors, but she didn't have much, and she herself was out of food, and having to go get food boxes, toward the end of the month, and I told her, were not supposed to give/share to the point that we ourselves are put out, or run out, and I cited to her this passage about the ten virgins and the oil, and about how they said, "perhaps there might not be enough for ourselves and you"

But was I right in advising her in this way, and citing the scripture that I did to back it up?

Opinions?

God Bless!

Reactions: psalms 91

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
since the parable is about LIGHT, about TRUTH, about WISDOM,

even IF the WISE virgins had shared, the foolish would not have benefited long - the foolish keep on rejecting Torah and rejecting Grace and rejecting Truth and rejecting Jesus' Way, even
after it is shown them and demonstrated and taught - they do not learn and always remain foolish..

a person is in danger themselves though if they refuse to share food with the hungry, as that is a direct instruction from Torah, from Yhvh, from Jesus, and from the apostles to do. Many witnesses to share, like the widow did , who thought it would be her last meal but shared anyway, even if it meant she and her son would die of hunger in the next week.

in the New Testament also, the whole assembly (more than once) gave what they could scarcely afford to give from a modern or even then worldly standpoint, and they did so freely without thought of being paid back or of any self-conscious or selfish thought of their own loss.

likewise the widow who put in her last 2 coins, all of her savings and sustenance, in faith (in faith) (in faith), trusting ABBA to watch over her and to care for her, --- Jesus pointed her out, and said , as it is, that her faith would be spoken of around the world until He returns(or at least for a very long time, us it has been until today so far) ).

many have died in faith, and many will still, and they will not even think of refusing to do as Yhvh and Jesus has always said. they have a generous eye, and their body is full of light ... ...

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Because there wasn't enough, and it would have gone against the lesson of the parable that Jesus was trying to get through to people. Remember that this was either an example that Jesus was making up on the fly, or he was describing an event involving regular people that actually happened, either way it had an object lesson.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Was I wrong in using that scripture as a reason for her NOT to share, if it was going to put her out, or make her run out of her very, very limited resources?

Her neighbors are foolish, they get a higher monthly income than her, but they buy their groceries off of the very expensive schwans truck, steaks and other expensive items, and they eat very well and have enough food for about the first two weeks of the month, then, they run out and go hungry, while my girlfriend shops wisely at the local inexpensive grocery store or at wal-mart and has just enough, if she buys inexpensive items to buy food for herself only, but she gives some to the neighbors, then she doesn't have enough to get by/through the month.

What does someone do in that situation, if her neighbors shopped more wisely, then they wouldn't run out, but they don't, so...

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Using that example was not a right division of Scripture, but people do need to be able to say "no" if they are in need because they are wet-nursing someone else who isn't really in need but doesn't provide for themselves. As for Bible passages that give examples of healthy boundaries set by the early church, see 1 Timothy 5:3-10 and 2 Thessalonians 3:6-12.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
since the parable is about LIGHT, about TRUTH, about WISDOM,

even IF the WISE virgins had shared, the foolish would not have benefited long - the foolish keep on rejecting Torah and rejecting Grace and rejecting Truth and rejecting Jesus' Way, even
after it is shown them and demonstrated and taught - they do not learn and always remain foolish..

a person is in danger themselves though if they refuse to share food with the hungry, as that is a direct instruction from Torah, from Yhvh, from Jesus, and from the apostles to do. Many witnesses to share, like the widow did , who thought it would be her last meal but shared anyway, even if it meant she and her son would die of hunger in the next week.

in the New Testament also, the whole assembly (more than once) gave what they could scarcely afford to give from a modern or even then worldly standpoint, and they did so freely without thought of being paid back or of any self-conscious or selfish thought of their own loss.

likewise the widow who put in her last 2 coins, all of her savings and sustenance, in faith (in faith) (in faith), trusting ABBA to watch over her and to care for her, --- Jesus pointed her out, and said , as it is, that her faith would be spoken of around the world until He returns(or at least for a very long time, us it has been until today so far) ).

many have died in faith, and many will still, and they will not even think of refusing to do as Yhvh and Jesus has always said. they have a generous eye, and their body is full of light ... ...

I don't see where it says that the foolish, were considered foolish because they rejected the Torah and rejecting Grace and rejecting Truth and rejecting Jesus' Way?

In fact, I don't think it gives us any reason or basis why the foolish were labeled "foolish", I don't think it says?

They were all going to meet the Lord, which takes some measure of faith/belief in the scriptures and upon the Lord Jesus Christ, some just had more lamp oil than others...

So, what in your opinion, cause I don't believe it says, why were the foolish called foolish, and the wise, wise?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
the overriding instruction is to share freely, as Yhvh is so generous with all the dumb humans on earth !

when the ekkelsia in ACTS shared all in common, they didn't leave out the dumb or the unwise.

especially since Jesus said whatever you do to the least (even the unwise) you do to Me.

(and He says that on Judgment Day).

if believers today rightly divided the Word of God, there would be peace and joy and righteousness AND , as in the book of ACTS, NO ONE WOULD BE IN NEED - all needs would be met. it is, after all, written. (all through Scripture, Torah, Old and New Testament)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
....why were the foolish called foolish, and the wise, wise?

the foolish do not faithfully trust Yhvh and live as He says. the wise do.

there is mostly foolishness all around us. to be wise is rare, and so rarely seen.

it takes a continually seeking and doing God's Will to be wise and to be not foolish.
continually for life. hours, days, weeks, months, years, decades.

yet also, immediately, Jesus is Wisdom and Experiential Knowledge and Truth of Yhvh's Will, as it is written.

yet again, it takes total turning away from all sin once for all and a total life devoted to Him to know and to learn and to have His Life.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
the overriding instruction is to share freely, as Yhvh is so generous with all the dumb humans on earth !

when the ekkelsia in ACTS shared all in common, they didn't leave out the dumb or the unwise.

So, that brings me back to the original question then... Why didn't the "wise" virgins share with the dumb or unwise or foolish then?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
the foolish do not faithfully trust Yhvh and live as He says. the wise do.

The foolish had to have some faithfulness to go out to meet the Lord, and they were all virgins, so how do you know the foolish were not living as the Lord says...

Point being, it just doesn't tell us why the foolish were considered foolish, you "could" be partially right, but you could also be wrong, as to why the foolish virgins were considered foolish, I wish it said...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
it is a long long read, (days, weeks, months even),

but you can find out if you want to know , prayerfully reading Scripture again and again and again, trusting Yhvh and asking Him to reveal to you,

and (again, a long long read, most worth it in today's choices)

look up online watchman nee at www3 telus cfp white covers(originals) free pdf
thoroughly tested and proven.

he's just about the only teacher in the last hundred years that taught well, and even though he doesn't say the same as i say, i do agree with him even more than i agree with myself as his life is a 'more' proven one, ending in 13 years or so, maybe 16, in solitary confinement in prison in china, and i have not yet shed any blood in physical suffering and pain for the Gospel's Sake.

oh, yeah, read you're own question and the Scripture about it --- IF they lived (faithfully) as the Lord says, like the disciples in Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, Ephesians, Philippians, etc

then they would not have been short of oil, would they?

just like when the Israelites lived as Yhvh says, they did not get sick, nor lack food nor water nor victory by His hand (not by their own) over any enemy (exactly as He Promised beforehand, and exactly as He reminded them afterwards).

when they disobeyed, .... well, that's the rest of the story!

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The foolish had to have some faithfulness to go out to meet the Lord, and they were all virgins, so how do you know the foolish were not living as the Lord says...

Point being, it just doesn't tell us why the foolish were considered foolish, you "could" be partially right, but you could also be wrong, as to why the foolish virgins were considered foolish, I wish it said...

God Bless!

Read Matthew 7:21-28..I believe that is describing the division of the wise and foolish virgins.

I don't believe you were right in using that scripture, because the intent of the passage is not concerning our duties and obligations in regards to material goods. The scripture teaches us radical generosity as a matter of fact. Not that I have mastered it, but I think the Lord wants us to trust in Him first and go from there.

I think God gives us a certain provision for our expenses and expects us to use it for that purpose, but I don't think you could make an absolute rule about it. I think it all has to be done by the leading of the Holy Spirit. Sometimes the Lord may lead us to do something which to the world seems absurd, such as give away your only means of transportation. Yet, in Gods economy it is the perfect thing to do. It is an investment in Heaven and He promises to provide for our needs while we're on Earth. We have to be open to Him because He will cause us to do things which go outside of our comfort zone. I also believe this, that you cannot outgive God.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
So, that brings me back to the original question then... Why didn't the "wise" virgins share with the dumb or unwise or foolish then?

out of all the readers of this forum, you might be the only one who reads Scripture and maybe nee to find out.

the others may or may not. sharing with them is not even a thought, so to speak.

i'm not going to the (specific) brick and mortar church two blocks away to tell them what is spoken here, or by Yhvh, or by Scripture --- unless Yhvh sends me specifically there to tell them, which is contrary to His Word/Instruction/Torah so far. they 'say' they worship Him, but they don't do as He says. they will be afraid when they stand before Him, because of His Judgment. but He will have mercy on them if they turn to Him and repent once for all of their sinful lives and call on His Name and seek to live His Way.

but if I saw/see them physically hungry, I would give them a sandwich or potatoes or other good food (as I and my brother did the last 2 days for others),
as God's Word says plainly even to feed your enemy if he is hungry,
and
"It is written" > "never turn away from your fellow man"(hungry or naked or in need of necessities you have)

for another example : if you see someone hungry and close your heart up against them, how does the love of God abide ?
VS/Compared With also True > "do not cast your pearls before swine or they will turn and trample".....

there is a time and a place for everything, and for every Word which God gives, rare as it is these days.

see --- always in line with all of the Word of God. not by feelings, nor by emotions, nor by man's ways of doing things, per se.... but by the Word of God.

Upvote 0

jbearnolimits

Pastor
Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Kinda goes against everything we've been taught from Jesus about sharing, being generous and giving, doesn't it?

I know somebody who was/is sharing their food with neighbors, but she didn't have much, and she herself was out of food, and having to go get food boxes, toward the end of the month, and I told her, were not supposed to give/share to the point that we ourselves are put out, or run out, and I cited to her this passage about the ten virgins and the oil, and about how they said, "perhaps there might not be enough for ourselves and you"

But was I right in advising her in this way, and citing the scripture that I did to back it up?

Opinions?

God Bless!

To be honest with you Neogaia777, this parable is good for many different points. I had never thought of it in the way you used it, yet it is true. In fact, there are many other scriptures that show this same principle.

Jesus Himself spoke in one place saying that you will always have the poor when they were upset about what they considered to be a "selfish" act. They thought the poor should have been helped instead of it being used the way it was.

Also, something people often forget in the encouragement to give to others to show the love of God is that the scripture says that it should be done IF you have it in your power to give.

Of course there are many other scriptures (some which speak very VERY clearly on this).

But yes, in the parable the righteous refused to give because there would not be enough for them as well. So instead of putting themselves in a place of needing help they told the unrighteous how they could get what they needed themselves. The sad truth is that it was too late though.

Obviously this is only one way of looking at the parable. It does have more spiritual impact as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Opinions?

God Bless!
my opinion is..that this is a very odd question.

read the text and the question is already answered. the oil is the fuel by which the flame is maintained.. the oil is the anointing of the Holy Spirit without it our flame of passion and devotion for and of the Lord Jesus grows dark and cold (and the love of many shall wax cold).

the answer to the question is simple..its the red bit..

Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Now five of them were wise, and five were foolish. 3 Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them, 4 but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. 5 But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept.

6 “And at midnight a cry was heard: ‘Behold, the bridegroom is coming;[a] go out to meet him!’ 7 Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. 8 And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ 9 But the wise answered, saying, ‘No, lest there should not be enough for us and you; but go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves.’ 10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding; and the door was shut.

11 “Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open to us!’ 12 But he answered and said, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.’

13 “Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Its not about the oil or the sharing of the oil. Its about being ready. (Prepared) Some of us are ready for the Lords return. Some of us are not. It is about being prepared. All of us know of Jesus, but not all of us believe in Jesus. Its about our belief. Be prepared.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
oh, yeah, read you're own question and the Scripture about it --- IF they lived (faithfully) as the Lord says, like the disciples in Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, Ephesians, Philippians, etc

then they would not have been short of oil, would they?

just like when the Israelites lived as Yhvh says, they did not get sick, nor lack food nor water nor victory by His hand (not by their own) over any enemy (exactly as He Promised beforehand, and exactly as He reminded them afterwards).

when they disobeyed, .... well, that's the rest of the story!

But, good people run into hard times... Homeless... Times without food... Good people get sick... Good people with the best of intentions can fail (not see victory in everything)

Do you agree?, or were they fools and not wise and it's all because they did not measure up to some standard somehow, (like becoming wise in YHWH or Jesus)?

God is said to Bless the simple...

Can one be simple and wise at the same time?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
"The scripture teaches us radical generosity as a matter of fact.

Really? How so?

"He promises to provide for our needs while we're on Earth"

But what about all the people in the world who's basic needs aren't getting met, are they all foolish, or out of the will of God then? Since God is not making sure they are provided for?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
But what about all the people in the world who's basic needs aren't getting met, are they all foolish, or out of the will of God then? Since God is not making sure they are provided for?

God Bless!

In the Torah, Old and New Testament, Yhvh Generously Provides all that is needed for life, for everyone.

Men mess up.

One Good Example of men redeemed, ekklesia, living as Yhvh says to

is in ACTS, where not one person had a need not met. Men read that, then sinfully

make excuses not to live the way Yhvh intends His Children to live. Men still 'think' and

even 'believe' that they are God's Children, but they've missed the boat.

Yhvh is Perfect. Yhvh knows Everything from All Time and Forever.

Upvote 0