Why did you choose Baptism (or other denomination)?

DTate98

Official CF User
Jan 3, 2016
Carrollton, TX
✟19,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I personally chose Baptism because it was the most biblically sound, in my opinion. I did grow up with the Baptist church, but I wouldn't have stuck with it if it weren't sound.

What are your reasons for choosing? And if you come from another denomination, please explain why you chose as well. Just no debating.

Leevo

Feb 18, 2015
Tennessee
✟28,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I used to be a Non-Denominational/Southern Baptist mostly because that was what my family was. I converted to the Catholic Church last year because I believed it to be the most biblically sound, but not as much anymore on some things. Don't really know what I am anymore though...

Reactions: jef1225
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
see thread below 'Why I am a baptist'.
I think because of the emphasis on Bible study, although other denoms do this as well...
Its the church God led me to first - and I had peace when I went there, about the essential things, well I search scripture and the things line up so I would say sound doctrine as well.
And while the people in a baptist church aren't the most extrovert (I have been to some churches that would just love bomb you) I find their quiet, humble faith displayed in the little things to be the most enduring thing about the baptist community. Its not a kind of church that would be in the news all the time saying well, we did this and that and look how christian we are... but then we are to please God and not man.

Upvote 0

blessedbethyname101

Dec 30, 2015
north pole
✟9,406.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I became a Baptist because it was the only decent church nearby where I was living in rural upper state New York. It became my support system. I also like the emphasis on Bible Study. I initially joined a Mennonite church when I first became Christian, but could not find one when I moved. I was baptized at the Baptist church in New York and when I moved to Japan looked for another Baptist church. Now, I am going to a bible-based Baptist Church in Japan. The pastor always corrects me in my belief about the Bible. He is knowledgeable about the Bible and helps me not to misinterpret the verses. I read the Bible on my own now but want to join a Bible study soon when I can. I really like my new church. They are like family. The pastor, however, tells me to focus on God and not to place too much importance with other parishioners since people can let one down. I am trying to do this. We all are sinners. This is the reason we need God in our lives. I also like his sermons. I learn each time I listen to them each Sunday. I am being fed the Word and am trying to implement the Word into my life. Without the church, I would be lost. I really like the Baptist perspective and approach. But, I have to remember to put my eyes on God first not the denomination. This is the message the current pastor has ingrained in me.

Upvote 0

DTate98

Official CF User
Jan 3, 2016
Carrollton, TX
✟19,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I used to be a Non-Denominational/Southern Baptist mostly because that was what my family was. I converted to the Catholic Church last year because I believed it to be the most biblically sound, but not as much anymore on some things. Don't really know what I am anymore though...
If you're having trouble with finding a denomination, I would suggest leaning towards reformed Baptist. I'm going to a relatively new church in Florida and it's probably the most Bible-centered church I've seen so far. They preach a more blunt message about salvation, but they always teach according to scripture. If you would like to hear one of the sermons, I would be happy to provide a link.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I know of some people who switched denoms to baptist.
One couple were anglican and they switched because they said the anglican church didnt preach the gospel ie. They didnt even know they were saved!

Another used to be assemblies of God but they switched to baptist because their son died and the place reminded them of the funeral too much. I think their son died pretty young so it was tragic. They have other children though.

One couple I know, her husband goes to a presbyterian church they actually belong to that parish but the wife comes to the baptist because theres more fellowship here. She says its where God wants her to be, he didnt follow her, so they attend different churches on sundays.

And another couple the wife goes to baptist but her husband goes to the non denominational mega church up the road. Maybe its womens thing..not sure. Oh we do have womens aglow that is held at the baptist, so that could be it.

Upvote 0

DTate98

Official CF User
Jan 3, 2016
Carrollton, TX
✟19,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I was thinking I dont go to church just for the sermons. Even though my pastor preaches really good ones and follows the bible, not his own ideas. Its the fellowship, prayer and the opportunities for ministry as well.
Indeed. The last church I went to probably gave the best opportunity for fellowship and ministry and the only reason I left was because I had to move. Pretty much everything about that church was great. It had very strong roots in the community because it started around WW2. And I had been there from fourth grade to ninth grade, and I knew pretty much everyone there, except for the majority of the elders whom I would greet with a smile and occasionally a handshake.

Upvote 0

Leevo

Feb 18, 2015
Tennessee
✟28,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you're having trouble with finding a denomination, I would suggest leaning towards reformed Baptist. I'm going to a relatively new church in Florida and it's probably the most Bible-centered church I've seen so far. They preach a more blunt message about salvation, but they always teach according to scripture. If you would like to hear one of the sermons, I would be happy to provide a link.

That would be great! Though I am weary when I hear the word "reformed" because it usually means Calvinistic, which I am not, heh! I still would like to look into it though!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DTate98

Official CF User
Jan 3, 2016
Carrollton, TX
✟19,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
That would be great! Though I am weary when I hear the word "reformed" because it usually means Calvinistic, which I am not, heh! I still would like to look into it though!
Well you would be right. The church I go to is Calvinistic, I think. I keep forgetting what that means though. But why would being Calvinist be negative?

Upvote 0

Leevo

Feb 18, 2015
Tennessee
✟28,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well you would be right. The church I go to is Calvinistic, I think. I keep forgetting what that means though. But why would being Calvinist be negative?

It isn't negative in and of itself. It is just a school of theology that I disagree with.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It isn't negative in and of itself. It is just a school of theology that I disagree with.

Picking and choosing churches based on that singular aspect of theology strikes me funny. I grew up in the Assemblies of God, which sees Calvinism as essentially a heresy. In my adolescence they challenged me to read through the whole Bible, which is what actually brought me to become, essentially, a Calvinist, though I didn't know what it was called, at first. For the first thirty years of my life I was attending churches that thought Calvinism was a bad thing. I can't say that I was scarred for life. I can't say that they weren't brothers and sisters in Christ. It really didn't matter at all.

Coming to the Baptist church was a factor of two things. The first was a bit of luck. A construction zone caused my wife to miss a connecting bus, so she stopped in at a nearby Baptist church to wait for me to pick her up. We liked the place, so we've been attending ever since. The second factor is simply that I've always respected Baptists. They've always seemed level-headed, and they always seem to fall on the right side of moral issues. I thought they would be a little more stodgy than this, but my church seems a little more relaxed than the typical Baptist stereotype. They haven't thrown me out yet, so they couldn't be too stodgy (if you saw me, you'd know what I mean).

I can't actually bring myself to call myself a Baptist. I only say that I attend a Baptist church. In my home, growing up, the Baptists were seen as an often blasphemously cessationistic group. All kinds of miracles, it would seem, could be attributed to the Devil, but nothing could ever be attributed to the Holy Spirit, as it was presented by a Baptist radio show host in our area (Mark 3:22). My current church is cessationist, and while I'm not too happy about it I have to admit that I wasn't too happy about the charismatic church that I was previously attending. I guess the pendulum has swung the other way, for now. The important thing is that I've found a church I can attend, without walking out on the sermons. That's definitely a step in the right direction.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Could you provide me with a link? I am considering moving back to Fla. I know of one church in Apopka and another that is a startup in Sarasota. I would be very interested in learning about your church.

Upvote 0

Leevo

Feb 18, 2015
Tennessee
✟28,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Picking and choosing churches based on that singular aspect of theology strikes me funny. I grew up in the Assemblies of God, which sees Calvinism as essentially a heresy. In my adolescence they challenged me to read through the whole Bible, which is what actually brought me to become, essentially, a Calvinist, though I didn't know what it was called, at first. For the first thirty years of my life I was attending churches that thought Calvinism was a bad thing. I can't say that I was scarred for life. I can't say that they weren't brothers and sisters in Christ. It really didn't matter at all.

Coming to the Baptist church was a factor of two things. The first was a bit of luck. A construction zone caused my wife to miss a connecting bus, so she stopped in at a nearby Baptist church to wait for me to pick her up. We liked the place, so we've been attending ever since. The second factor is simply that I've always respected Baptists. They've always seemed level-headed, and they always seem to fall on the right side of moral issues. I thought they would be a little more stodgy than this, but my church seems a little more relaxed than the typical Baptist stereotype. They haven't thrown me out yet, so they couldn't be too stodgy (if you saw me, you'd know what I mean).

I can't actually bring myself to call myself a Baptist. I only say that I attend a Baptist church. In my home, growing up, the Baptists were seen as an often blasphemously cessationistic group. All kinds of miracles, it would seem, could be attributed to the Devil, but nothing could ever be attributed to the Holy Spirit, as it was presented by a Baptist radio show host in our area (Mark 3:22). My current church is cessationist, and while I'm not too happy about it I have to admit that I wasn't too happy about the charismatic church that I was previously attending. I guess the pendulum has swung the other way, for now. The important thing is that I've found a church I can attend, without walking out on the sermons. That's definitely a step in the right direction.

For sure! I don't automatically discount a church based solely on them being Calvinistic. Most of the actual church body never really know what that means anyway. It does get difficult for me when I start participating in Bible studies etc. where they teach the Calvinist view of Predestination and other doctrines that I disagree with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think the emphaisis in calvnism, if you go to one that subscribes to that particular theology is the idea of predestination, which is biblical, but it also CAN be taught unbiblically. Which is why churches that dont emphasise this will get a bad rap by those of a calvinist persuasion.

Christians do not go through life thinking they are elect and chosen and everyone else is damned already. That is the mindest of some calvinists i know who take the thelogy to its logical conclusion. But Our Heavenly Father is above human philisophies and rationalisation.

Upvote 0

DTate98

Official CF User
Jan 3, 2016
Carrollton, TX
✟19,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Could you provide me with a link? I am considering moving back to Fla. I know of one church in Apopka and another that is a startup in Sarasota. I would be very interested in learning about your church.
Here you go. It's called Sovereign Grace Bible Chapel. Right now, we meet in the cafeteria of the local middle school, but I've heard that they're trying to find a legitimate building to meet in.

Church website: sgbchapel.com
Last Sunday's sermon: http://sgbchapel.com/index.php/sermons/sermon/162-the-believer-s-contradiction

Upvote 0

DTate98

Official CF User
Jan 3, 2016
Carrollton, TX
✟19,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I think the emphaisis in calvnism, if you go to one that subscribes to that particular theology is the idea of predestination, which is biblical, but it also CAN be taught unbiblically. Which is why churches that dont emphasise this will get a bad rap by those of a calvinist persuasion.

Christians do not go through life thinking they are elect and chosen and everyone else is damned already. That is the mindest of some calvinists i know who take the thelogy to its logical conclusion. But Our Heavenly Father is above human philisophies and rationalisation.
Oh yeah. The one thing I don't understand about predestination is how the elect become elect. It's probably not a matter of the heart, because all hearts are sinful and all are equally able to be changed by God. It's not a matter of situation, because Christians come from pretty much every background imaginable, so my question is, "what are God's reasons for electing?" I guess we would have to wait until we got to Heaven to ask him.

Upvote 0

DTate98

Official CF User
Jan 3, 2016
Carrollton, TX
✟19,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
For sure! I don't automatically discount a church based solely on them being Calvinistic. Most of the actual church body never really know what that means anyway. It does get difficult for me when I start participating in Bible studies etc. where they teach the Calvinist view of Predestination and other doctrines that I disagree with.
Why do you disagree with Predestination? Do you think it's unbiblical, or is it just something you find to be terrible and unjust?

Upvote 0

DTate98

Official CF User
Jan 3, 2016
Carrollton, TX
✟19,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Can you explain what being cessationist means?

Upvote 0