• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

why did God or Satan afflict a Christian with schizophrenia?

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The original title of this thread is "why did God or Satan afflict a Christian with schizophrenia?" Perhaps this is the wrong question. A better question might be "Does God or Satan afflict anyone with any illness?" The simple answer is "NO!"

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The original title of this thread is "why did God or Satan afflict a Christian with schizophrenia?" Perhaps this is the wrong question. A better question might be "Does God or Satan afflict anyone with any illness?" The simple answer is "NO!"
IF you are right , and I don't say you are, then WHO causes pellagra ? (OR who caused it a century ago ? )

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
IF you are right , and I don't say you are, then WHO causes pellagra ? (OR who caused it a century ago ? )

"Pellagra is caused by having too little niacin or tryptophan in the diet. It can also occur if the body fails to absorb these nutrients. It may develop after gastrointestinal diseases or with alcoholism, HIV/AIDS, or anorexia. The disease is common in parts of the world where people have a lot of corn in their diet."

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000342.htm

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
"Pellagra is caused by having too little niacin or tryptophan in the diet. It can also occur if the body fails to absorb these nutrients. It may develop after gastrointestinal diseases or with alcoholism, HIV/AIDS, or anorexia. The disease is common in parts of the world where people have a lot of corn in their diet."

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000342.htm
Yes, but "whose fault is it?" .... or who (if anyone) is responsible for it ?

Or as you mentioned also (for further confirmation only) -
is God or satan EVER responsible ? (like for Job??) Or Ananias and Saphira ?
Or the Corinthians getting sick and dying ?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but "whose fault is it?" .... or who (if anyone) is responsible for it ?

Or as you mentioned also (for further confirmation only) -
is God or satan EVER responsible ? (like for Job??) Or Ananias and Saphira ?
Or the Corinthians getting sick and dying ?

I do not attribute natural events to supernatural causes.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have never been diagnosed, but i know i have serious mental issues. I was actually feeling bad about it until i read this thread, which actually put joy in my heart believe it or not (thank you :) ). I feel like i have been stigmatized because of my "issues". The hardest part is that i really don't know if this is actually the case or just my perception. Either way it doesn't matter. I don't think anyone should judge another person for having any mental illness or any illness at all. Why does God allow people to die in car wrecks? What evil did they do? The truth is that they didn't do any evil necessarily, and we dont know detailed specifics concerning why people die or get sick, but we know that we will all die.

Don't feel bad if you suffer mental illness, but instead be glad that you are not the one doing the judging. Be glad that your eyes have been opened by your infirmity and that you are not stigmatizing anyone. We who suffer troubles like this are blessed in that way. Why be sad? Its those who judge others, and stigmatize them, who are the ones with the real illness. They are infected with pride and self righteousness. Dont blame them though, because like us they cant help themselves. As the Lord said, forgive them because they know not what they do. Amen.

Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I was actually feeling bad about it until i read this thread, which actually put joy in my heart believe it or not (thank you :) ).
COOL! I hear that often - as people don't know what's happening, or what to do about it,
and others keep 'blaming' / judging them as if they're making something up /whatever.
Once they find out, SHALOM ! (Peace, Joy and Contentment) that they didn't have before;
being better able to deal with everything(one little step at a time, of course, as needed)
and knowing they are not alone .

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have never been diagnosed, but i know i have serious mental issues. I was actually feeling bad about it until i read this thread, which actually put joy in my heart believe it or not (thank you :) ). I feel like i have been stigmatized because of my "issues". The hardest part is that i really don't know if this is actually the case or just my perception. Either way it doesn't matter. I don't think anyone should judge another person for having any mental illness or any illness at all. Why does God allow people to die in car wrecks? What evil did they do? The truth is that they didn't do any evil necessarily, and we dont know detailed specifics concerning why people die or get sick, but we know that we will all die.

Don't feel bad if you suffer mental illness, but instead be glad that you are not the one doing the judging. Be glad that your eyes have been opened by your infirmity and that you are not stigmatizing anyone. We who suffer troubles like this are blessed in that way. Why be sad? Its those who judge others, and stigmatize them, who are the ones with the real illness. They are infected with pride and self righteousness. Dont blame them though, because like us they cant help themselves. As the Lord said, forgive them because they know not what they do. Amen.

Thank you. Well said.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
COOL! I hear that often - as people don't know what's happening, or what to do about it,
and others keep 'blaming' / judging them as if they're making something up /whatever.
Once they find out, SHALOM ! (Peace, Joy and Contentment) that they didn't have before;
being better able to deal with everything(one little step at a time, of course, as needed)
and knowing they are not alone .

Amen. One day at a time is my motto. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

skalle

Delete system32.
Jun 17, 2016
USA
✟17,101.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
"Does God or Satan afflict anyone with any illness?" The simple answer is "NO!"
If I thought God inflicted me with schizophrenia, I wouldn't worship Him. He didn't cause it, but I do believe He helps.

Reactions: Razare
Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We have to categorize trouble.

Some troubles are resolved in the atonement of Jesus Christ. The fall of Adam, all diseases and curses of Deuteronomy 28 according to Galatians 3:13.

We can see this in the life of Christ before his atonement (where he started to receive curses upon himself.) Before that, he was never ill or sick, had sufficiently supply for all things, never in lack or need, those around him were abundantly provided for such as his parents, and so he was perfect without illness.

We get something greater than when Christ walked the Earth, because we are as Christ seated at the right hand of the Father, which is superior to his Earthly ministry.

So when persecution hit Christ, sometimes he would slip through the crowd. He was persecuted, but if you're doing God's will in the spirit with miracles, signs and wonders, really you're untouchable.

How we Christians get touched is that our walks are imperfect. This opens doors for the devil to come at us, but he is defeated by the blood of Jesus, which includes mercy and grace.

So persecution is one type of category of bad that we are not delivered from.
Mental illness, or other diseases are not persecutions. We were delivered from those in the atonement, that anyone says we are not just makes them to be a liar according to scripture (means your faith is not there yet.)

Persecution is when people who are in the power of the devil or deceived Christians, go and persecute us with their words and behaviors. We have not been saved from this but have to endure it in faith. We have been saved from the curses, which are bodily attacks upon us, and also spiritual attacks.

So even if we're persecuted, we are delivered from all the weapons our persecutors form against us, just like Christ was. That we lack faith is the only reason we fall short of it.

That we are persecuted and have trouble, was never ever meant to imply the atonement of Jesus failed to deliver on the promises of deliverance from the curses which include all illnesses. This is a false teaching to say persecution and trouble means we have to suffer illness brought by God into our life. No, it's just anti-Christ teaching from a false spirit in the devil's kingdom, deceiving us into accepting illnesses in rejection of what Christ did for us.

Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If I thought God inflicted me with schizophrenia, I wouldn't worship Him. He didn't cause it, but I do believe He helps.

Amen! It's this sort of attitude which allows God to heal it too. If we doubt his will to have us well and live a good life, it just makes things bad for us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

skalle

Delete system32.
Jun 17, 2016
USA
✟17,101.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I do not appreciate your deprecation of my support network. What makes you so much more knowledgeable than me? If you want me to take you seriously, post peer-reviewed articles (plural) with falsifiable findings. Otherwise, your outburst will be noted as mere conjecture.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In all my struggles with mental distress, I find that I am like a warrior in a battle of perseverance. I have no idea what my mental infirmities may be but they are far from normal, that much I know. However, I also find that its my greatest opportunity to find Gods love. The apostle paul gloried in hardship, distress, necessities, persecutions. He found that Gods love was poured out in his heart. When the Lord taught us to turn the other cheek, he was teaching us how to do what paul also teaches us. Let the normal people have the normal life. I feel blessed with my struggles.

Upvote 0