leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
But what is the alternative to loving God? An eternity of torture?

The alternative is sin (something not in the express will of God). I'm not so sure that I really believe in a literal eternal hellfire. I think Jesus' fire rhetoric was really just a metaphor using the trash heap in Gehanna.

In the end I don't really know what heaven or hell look like or if they are somehow related. I'm not as concerned about the afterlife because it seems so abstract and unknowable. I'll just have to wait to see what happens.

I just think that sin is something that hurts God, hurts his purpose and isn't loving towards others. So choosing to not sin is better than choosing to sin. Turn towards the light. I also think that sinning less leads to a more fulfilling and purposeful life.

That doesn't sound like a choice to me, it is like someone holding a gun to your head and saying 'give me all your money', technically you have a choice but I wouldn't then argue the gun holder is giving it through love. Or by giving the money you chose to so it's OK.
If there really is a fine line in life between one decision leading to hell, surely as a Christian you do everything you can to ensure you and as many people as possible make the correct choice. I would imagine you wish you could stop everyone being evil, if you had this power the world would be a better place. It is a shame God doesn't seem very Christian.

Like I said, I don't think heaven/hell is the point; relationship with God is the point. Do I wish everyone had a relationship with God? Yes. Will that stop them from sinning and doing evil things? Not necessarily.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟800,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but if you don't believe in God to begin with then you are destined for hell, so since to believe you have to rely on faith then that is quite a mean trick. Hence, no real choice in the way I described earlier. If you do believe in God and Hell, then surely there is quite a lot of fear involved in not loving God in just the right way, in just the right amount to ensure you have sucked up enough to avoid endless torture? Better go and love everyone because you were told to, not because you want to to make sure Jesus loves you! This reminds me of a different paradox, since if someone had never heard about Jesus then apparently they are not held responsible. So if everyone stopped teaching the Bible then everyone could be saved, funny that.

Sorry but I just wish people were responsible for their own actions...Stop blaming Satan for tempting you and take control of yourself. (not aimed at yourself)
How does that address: Hell is not the perceived alternative, because you have to believe in the Christian God to believe in a hell. The nonbeliever does not “believe” in hell.

The likely alternative to humbly accepting God’s help (charity/mercy/grace/forgiveness/Love) is the perceived pleasures of sinning for at least a season.

I am afraid you are still missing my point.

The “choice” : On earth mature adults have a real choice with likely alternatives they can chose to accept God’s help (surrender to Him) (humble accept His Love (Charity/mercy/grace/forgiveness) or they can go on fighting God seeking the perceived pleasures of sin for a season.

It does not really matter about the “good” (in human terms) we might do as adults. Any “good” we “do” is actually what we allow the indwelling Holy Spirit to do through us (really in spite of us).

Obtaining and growing Godly type Love, so we can fulfill our earthly mission statement “Loving God and secondly others with all our heart, soul, mind and energy”, is what we want (it makes us like Christ who is God on earth).

All God’s efforts are directed at helping willing humans fulfill that objective. Part of God’s effort to help those willing is allowing innocent children to die, but that does not mean we can help that along, but should cease this opportunity to show, extend, experience, see, receive, get and grow Godly type Love.

Upvote 0