South Carolina
✟27,848.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello everyone! I'm currently trying to figure out my path in life. I've thought about college and even visted one this past Monday. I feel as though my motives are just wrong to go though....or at least not good enough reasons to go. So my question is this. Why did you choose to go to college and not straight into the workplace or vise versa. Whatever your case may be. Thanks!:wave:

emmzee

Oct 3, 2004
Ontario Canada
Visit site
✟7,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you can go to college, I think you should. It'll probably be much easier to go now than it would be to go back to school later on. Just going through university was a life changing experience for me ... I don't mean just the fact that I accepted Christ while I was at university either :) I mean just living in that sort of environment.

Money shouldn't be your sole objective of course, but: "Americans age 18 and older with a bachelor’s degree earned an average of $51,554, while those with a high school diploma earned $28,645." So, while college/university may be initially costly, in the long run it works out better.

Plus, if there's something that you're really interested in, getting a degree in it will really help you to get a job in that field.

Personally, I chose university because I (at the time) wanted to get a job in the computers/IT field, and also have the experience of living at university away from home.

Upvote 0

smile

Change? Good. This? Bad.
Jul 11, 2003
See that box on the curb? Not too shabby, eh?
✟5,666.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This day and age it's near impossible to get a good job without a degree.

Why I'm choosing to go to college? Because I will not be taken seriously in the work place without one nor will I be able to go where I need to be without one.

If you're able to go, go.

Upvote 0

PeculiarTreasure

Mishief Mangaged
Feb 3, 2007
South Carolina
✟27,848.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I'm just scared of going but also scared of not going. I've always hated school. I never made good at all. I've actually been and dropped out twice already. I just don't want to be like in my 40's and having to go back. I know you have to be really determined to go and I just feel I lack that. Which is not good.

I guess the main reasons I want to go is for the experience and to grow up a little but like I said I feel that's not good enough reasons.:sigh: I don't want that to be my ONLY reasons or my main focus for going.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Back when I graduated high school, the only reason I went to college because it was "the thing to do." Though I valued education in general, I don't recall looking forward to college. Alas, I didn't want to be the first person in my family to not go to college, so I simply bowed to pressure and went.

Four years later, I couldn't imagine life without the experience. I became a Christian while in college. Moreover, college has taught me how to think. I genuinely feel that college is one way in which people grow into competent adults, and there just aren't that many substitutes for the experience. As emmzee said, it pays to go to college. But I think there are better reasons. College educates you as a person; it will make you much more resourceful and insightful. This alone makes it worth it.

So in the end, whether you want to have a more meaningful life, or just want more money, there are plenty of reasons to go. Take my word for it: I know many people in their 40s who went to college for the first time, and it isn't easy. You, on the other hand, are the same age as most people here (only slightly older than myself), and it would be much easier right now.

Upvote 0

Stratiotes

May 16, 2006
Arkansas
✟16,037.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In my opinion, the best thing to do is go to a community college first to get an associates degree that will transfer to a 4 yr college. The small classes make it easier to adjust to I think. Beyond that, it is cheaper, and then if you decide college isn't for you, you haven't wasted as much money. And believe it or not, despite the stereotypes, comparing my own education so far with that of my friends at our local university, I believe I am getting much more quality instruction simply because I am a person and not a number (class size much smaller, more teacher/student interaction).

Personally, I wasn't really sure I wanted to go to college, but I knew I needed to make more than 20k a year, so I enrolled at the local community college. At first I just planned on getting a vocational degree that would help me jump right into work in my field (better than with no degree, but still most likely only entry level positions with little chance of advancement), but now I've decided to transfer to a university to continue my education. I suggest you at least give it a try.

My reasons were just like anyone elses I guess. Partly money, but mostly because I want to have more freedom to do what I want. None of my family have a college education and my dad has been working at jobs he's hated all his life for under 20k a year. If a person is going to spend much of his/her life at work, they should at least strive to do something they enjoy, and in my case I need a degree for it.

Upvote 0

hayley85

Mar 15, 2007
Visit site
✟7,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know many people who hated school and now love college. While you are taking general studies, it is sometimes a pain. Although once you get to the classes that are geared toward your career field, it is great! It is challenging at times but at the end of each semester, it is ultimately rewarding.

I do believe that some people are just not meant to go to college. Whatever craft they want to work on can sometimes not be shaped in a college or university settings. Yet, there are vocational schools that can help in some of those non-four year school areas of study. For example, my brother wanted to be an animator. He went to a one year 2D animation program at an art school in Canada.

In the end, the question is what do you want to do with your life? Then you might be able to determine what school, if any, can help you achieve that goal.

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I chose to go to college for selfish reasons, actually: it's been proven that people with college degrees are able to get higher-paying jobs than people without college degrees, and I do want to be able to live comfortably (mostly because that's how I grew up), so I'm going to college to make that possible.

It might not be the best reason for a Christian to go to college, but, heck, I'm not perfect! :p

Upvote 0

PeculiarTreasure

Mishief Mangaged
Feb 3, 2007
South Carolina
✟27,848.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In the end, the question is what do you want to do with your life? Then you might be able to determine what school, if any, can help you achieve that goal.

That's the problem I have no idea what I want to do. I guess my main passion would be music so prehaps something in that field.:confused: :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Traitor1

Jan 28, 2007
✟7,692.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I too hated high school. But my parents wouldn't allow me not to go since education has always been a big deal (for my mom especially). That was the main factor. And now, I've found a few things that I'm passionate about and have been pleasently surprised that I'm now passionate about learning in general.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,405.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You may find that you enjoy school more when it's a little more unstructured.

If you take 15 credit hours in college, you're probably in classes about 16 hours a week or so....

Compare that to 35 hours a week in high school.

Your assignments will be more closely tied to actual learning and thinking. No more 'busy work assignments....' Things like papers and projects are more interesting.

You will usually get your whole year's syllabus on the first day of class. It helps you plan.

After you get your general course requirements completed, you'll be working on your major courses--which will be practical, in your field of interest, and probably in your field of greatest competency.

College is less cliquish. This is one way that I think non-traditional students (e.g. grownups) have really helped colleges. People in their twenties, thirties, and even forties aren't interested in bringing the scripts of "Mean Girls" and "Animal House" to life in their own lives...

In HS Musical I think they call them the jocks, the geeks, and the brainiacs....

Well, things aren't quite as bad in college...

Upvote 0

LivinIt

Aug 12, 2005
Minnesota
✟7,818.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's the problem I have no idea what I want to do. I guess my main passion would be music so prehaps something in that field.:confused: :scratch:
Typically, if you don't know what you want to do with your life, then college is the perfect chance to give you an opportunity to find out. If you go to a larger public university they will have tons of majors. You can go in undecided, and the professors will be more than willing to answer any questions that you have about a specific major. I mean, going to college gives you a few more years before you have to join the "real world" of full time work and bills and has tons of opportunities to help you figure out exactly what you want to do.

What Fantine said is all true too. You can pick your own schedule (for the most part), so you can take classes in the morning or in the afternoon or in the evening. For example, this semester, I start classes no earlier than nine, and am out of classes by noon every day. Next semester, I don't start classes until noon on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. And on Tuesday and Thursday I'll be done with classes by 11 am.

It really is impossible to describe how different college is from high school. You have so much more freedom, you can meet some of the most amazing people, and get involved in great organizations.

Upvote 0

PeculiarTreasure

Mishief Mangaged
Feb 3, 2007
South Carolina
✟27,848.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for all the replies. Their much apperiated. I've actually been to a community college before. (two actually) I dropped out both times because I hated it so much.

Truth is I would love to go a 4 year public university but I'm afraid that's out of the question. I never made good in H.S or the times I went to college so it's hard for me to get accepted into those. I have many regrets about not trying hard enough b/c I probably could've done a lot better than I did. Especially in HS.:sigh: I know the only way I could probably go to a 4 year school is to go to a community college and transfer but I really don't wanna take that route. The two I went to reminded me so much of HS. I mean it's so hard to met people and you can't even live on campus. It's a go to class and leave sorda thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Where

Mar 8, 2004
✟15,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The distinguishing factor separating successful people with unsuccessful people is persistence. A college degree really guarantees nothing. In essence, it is a piece of paper, usually framed at least. It irks me personally that employers are so adamant about applicants having college degrees while not always finding those with the best skills. Something around 80% of the people who graduate from college have a job unrelated to thier major. This said, if you feel like you need to attend college to serve the Lord better, then do so by all means. Ultimately it is not a degree that makes you, but how motivated you are to succeed. Peter and John were uneducated if I recall; God uses people when they yield to Him. The best of luck to you in your decision.

Upvote 0

PeculiarTreasure

Mishief Mangaged
Feb 3, 2007
South Carolina
✟27,848.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The distinguishing factor separating successful people with unsuccessful people is persistence. A college degree really guarantees nothing. In essence, it is a piece of paper, usually framed at least. It irks me personally that employers are so adamant about applicants having college degrees while not always finding those with the best skills. Something around 80% of the people who graduate from college have a job unrelated to thier major. This said, if you feel like you need to attend college to serve the Lord better, then do so by all means. Ultimately it is not a degree that makes you, but how motivated you are to succeed. Peter and John were uneducated if I recall; God uses people when they yield to Him. The best of luck to you in your decision.

Thanks for your reply. That makes a lot of sense. It's something to think about for sure.:)

Upvote 0

PeculiarTreasure

Mishief Mangaged
Feb 3, 2007
South Carolina
✟27,848.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well I think I'm gonna head back to school. I've been doing some thinking about it and It's just time for me to step up and do something with my life.

I'm planning on going to a community college and then transfer to a 4 year school next year. I'm gonna visit a 4 year school in the coming weeks to check it out and see if I like it. I have a school in mind I would love to transfer to but it's really hard to get in there so I want to have a plan b too.

Wish me luck.:wave:

Upvote 0

MrsSeptemberPenguin

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 30, 2004
Minnesota
✟32,184.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I'm going to school mostly so that i can get a better job. It's hard to support yourself in the world today if you don't have a degree. I also have a lot of pressure from my parents to go. I also look at it as an opportunity to learn a lot of things I can apply to my life.

Upvote 0

guitarplayer_101

Feb 9, 2005
Lincoln, NE
✟15,396.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm just entering my second year at college and I can lready say it has been a life changing experience for me, mostly good, some bad. But I chose to go because To work in the field that I want to you need a degree. But it's definitlely worth it. Good luck!

Upvote 0