Why can't dog have six legs?

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,532.00
Faith
Atheist
Then if the fact we have lower back pain means we weren't meant to walk on 2 legs, does the fact we have foot pain when we stand too long, mean we weren't meant to walk? Or maybe we were meant to swim and our feet didn't evolve into flippers instead?
To understand this, you need to drop the agent-centric viewpoint - we weren't and aren't 'meant' to be anything; there's no purpose or intent involved in the ToE. If a quadrupedal or brachiating population of some animal finds itself in an environment where bipedalism is advantageous, those individuals best able to adapt will be more successful. Over the generations those less able to adopt a bipedal posture will be less successful and have fewer offspring (or they may just abandon that environment), so their genes will be less represented in the population, which will become increasingly bipedal.

Evolution works by modifying what's available until it's 'good enough'. If the environment changes or the population moves to a new environment, the selection pressures will change and the population will change to reflect that.

I'm telling you... it's all spin and you've been duped..
You need more than bald assertions - the ToE is falsifiable in a number of ways, and for your assertion to have any authority, you need to either falsify it, show compelling evidence against it, or present a scientifically adequate hypothesis that does a better job. In over 150 years no-one has achieved that, and not for lack of trying.

If you learn correctly how evolution is proposed to work (e.g. no purpose or intent), and look closely at the full range of evidence presented for it, you'll find that it's you who've been duped by spin.

The ToE has convinced many intelligent people that were every bit as skeptical as you because they were prepared to examine and critically consider exactly what it claimed and the evidence for it; those people included the scientific establishment of Darwin's time and others (including theologians), most of whom were strongly invested in the biblical narrative of independent creation. In more recent times two major new lines of independent evidence (the fossil record and population genetics) have appeared that weren't available then, and which also fully support the theory.

Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why don't we see birds with wings and arms then?
This one i have to guess on, but I remember Aristotle discussing this when he addressed the six legged dog issue. I think it has to do with the differences that the brain must do to process spatial change when food is raised to the mouth (vertical) vs. wings are flapped and flight occurs.

For whatever it's worth, this is why we do not yet have flying cars as a standard among humans either though they have been technologically feasible for several generations now). Our brains just cannot handle them safely, so the governments of the world say. They point to how few people can manage a pilot's license.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To understand this, you need to drop the agent-centric viewpoint

The viewpoint isn't important here, it's the point that is, and the point was, you can make anything mean anything you want it to be and such clams are not science and are not backed by science. It's people running amuck with silly, unfounded theory.

You need more than bald assertions - the ToE is falsifiable in a number of ways, and for your assertion to have any authority, you need to either falsify it, show compelling evidence against it, or present a scientifically adequate hypothesis that does a better job. In over 150 years no-one has achieved that, and not for lack of trying.

Why do I have to do that? You have zero scientific hypothesis, just made up junk, like I just indicated. Why in the world would I even bother trying to disprove or offer alternative to something that has yet to be proven? saying that is the reason for lower back pain hardly makes it a fact...it's backed by nothing, just like all the things you have been duped by.

There is nothing there, only the illusion you bought into... hook, line and sinker.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,532.00
Faith
Atheist
The viewpoint isn't important here, it's the point that is, and the point was, you can make anything mean anything you want it to be and such clams are not science and are not backed by science. It's people running amuck with silly, unfounded theory.
You're welcome to your opinion, of course, but scientists agree that it's science, it's consistent with the definition of science, and meets the abductive criteria.

Why do I have to do that? You have zero scientific hypothesis, just made up junk, like I just indicated. Why in the world would I even bother trying to disprove or offer alternative to something that has yet to be proven? saying that is the reason for lower back pain hardly makes it a fact...it's backed by nothing, just like all the things you have been duped by.
You don't have to do anything; I was explaining what is necessary to overturn an existing scientific theory.

There is nothing there, only the illusion you bought into... hook, line and sinker.
I'm sorry you have such difficulty accepting it, but the evidence is abundant and overwhelming. If you'd like to learn more about it, check out Understanding Evolution 101.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're welcome to your opinion, of course, but scientists agree that it's science, it's consistent with the definition of science, and meets the abductive criteria.

Oh, that's too bad, how embarrassing for those scientists. I mean calling purely made up nonsense at least as in this case, the way science is done, seems to be to be a blow against reputable scientists everywhere.

You don't have to do anything; I was explaining what is necessary to overturn an existing scientific theory.

And I was explaining your so called theory in this case is not even worth addressing. It's something dreamed up with no basis...none whatsoever. Out of thin air theory....worse than normal bad theory.

I'm sorry you have such difficulty accepting it, but the evidence is abundant and overwhelming. If you'd like to learn more about it, check out

And I'm sorry you have such difficulty bringing anything acceptable to the table. If the evidence of that reason for lower back pain is all that abundant, it shouldn't be hard to find, yet you didn't exactly show any of it.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,532.00
Faith
Atheist
Oh, that's too bad, how embarrassing for those scientists. I mean calling purely made up nonsense at least as in this case, the way science is done, seems to be to be a blow against reputable scientists everywhere.
Assertion and bluster isn't an argument. If you can make a decent argument against it, we can address your concerns.

And I was explaining your so called theory in this case is not even worth addressing. It's something dreamed up with no basis...none whatsoever. Out of thin air theory....worse than normal bad theory.
There's been plenty of evidence mentioned in this thread alone. I suspect you feel you can claim there's no basis for it because you reject it all. That's your prerogative but it does come across like a child putting its fingers in its ears and going, "La la la la, I can't hear you!".

And I'm sorry you have such difficulty bringing anything acceptable to the table. If the evidence of that reason for lower back pain is all that abundant, it shouldn't be hard to find, yet you didn't exactly show any of it.
Lower back pain is an example of a consequence of our ancestral inheritance that's familiar to everyone; the wiki link I posted about bipedalism in #30 has plenty more information and links. If you're interested in any particular aspect, a few simple Google searches will turn up as much information as you like. If you have any particular questions, I'll try to answer them, but this is a discussion thread, not Evolution 101 (I already posted a link to that).

Upvote 0