Why can the federal government force national recalls on all products - except GUNS?

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Why Guns Can Only Be Recalled by Manufacturer
Tuesday, 19 Oct 2010

Internal company documents show that at least twice, the Remington Arms Company considered a nationwide recall of its popular 700 series rifles, but decided against it despite thousands of complaints and dozens of lawsuits over inadvertent discharges.

Manufacturers of most other products do not have the authority to make that decision on their own, but guns hold a special place in American law, according to Dallas attorney Jeffrey Hightower, who has tried multiple lawsuits against Remington.

“Remington polices itself,” said Hightower. “The gun industry polices itself.”

..... a federal law passed soon after the creation of the CPSC in the 1970s specifically bars the agency from setting safety standards for firearms.

“The Consumer Product Safety Commission shall make no ruling or order that restricts the manufacture or sale of firearms, fire-arms ammunition, or components of firearms ammunition,” the law says.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms licenses gun manufacturers, but the agency has no authority to recall defective firearms, according to a spokesman.

The issue is crucial to gun rights advocates, who see the prospect of a government-mandated firearm recall as an infringement on their rights under the second amendment.

Why Guns Can Only Be Recalled by Manufacturer
Guns are the most lethal product sold to the American public and yet it is the one product for which the federal government is not allowed to set safety standards or to enforce a recall.

Why were American gun manufacturers allowed the legal freedom and authority to police themselves?

Last edited:

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Guns are the most lethal product sold to public and yet it is the one product that the federal government is not in a position to enforce a recall.

Since the NRA has influenced Congress to admonish federal agencies not to conduct studies concerning guns, the government is in the position of not having the information as to which guns are safe and which pose a threat to the American public!

No other product has been granted that kind of autonomy, whereby, only American gun manufacturers have been given the freedom to police themselves!

What do you mean by safety standards? That they fire bubbles instead of bullets?

Seriously, the 2nd Amendment exists for a reason.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
What do you mean by safety standards? That they fire bubbles instead of bullets?

Seriously, the 2nd Amendment exists for a reason.
What's to prevent a gun manufacturerer or ammunition company from producing an unsafe product?

Shouldn't the media be exempt from all forms of government regulations because of the 1st Amendment?

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What's to prevent a gun manufacturerer or ammunition company from producing an unsafe product?

Shouldn't the media be exempt from all forms of government regulations because of the 1st Amendment?

Exactly!

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟140,732.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

I notice that the government didn't get involved with the controversy of the one newspaper releasing the addresses of gun owners.

That it was an overreach by the newspaper of their 1st amendment right only strengthened the 2nd amendment in that it showed that even bombastic, hyperbolic "news" stories being floated into the public realm does not abrogate the first amendment; so, too, the terrible and tragic killings of school children does not call for the abrogation of our first amendment rights!

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I notice that the government didn't get involved with the controversy of the one newspaper releasing the addresses of gun owners.

That it was an overreach by the newspaper of their 1st amendment right only strengthened the 2nd amendment in that it showed that even bombastic, hyperbolic "news" stories being floated into the public realm does not abrogate the first amendment; so, too, the terrible and tragic killings of school children does not call for the abrogation of our first amendment rights!

Uh, not really. they were posting public information. The same way they can post in the paper when a person doesn't pay taxes. They did that in my hometown a few years back. But since it is public information, they can post it.

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
Guns are the most lethal product sold to the American public and yet it is the one product for which the federal government is not allowed to set safety standards or to enforce a recall.

Guns are actually very safe. The industry does an excellent job of self policing.

Dangerously defective guns are extremely rare. The gun "accidents" you hear about are nearly always misuse and/or abuse. Negligently pulling the trigger, or reloading ammo beyond the limits of the design or modifying the gun.

I don't know, lawsuits and losing business?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I know what you're really trying to do is find a backdoor way to do away with the 2nd Amendment...

Fact of the matter is that a gun's true purpose is not for skeet shooting, or just firing on a range. A gun is designed to be able to be used to in a manner that one can defend themselves with lethal force if necessary...

It is designed to be used for hunting, not playing cops & robbers in a backyard.

It is designed the way it is so you can defend yourself from an attack, not play laser tag...

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
I know what you're really trying to do is find a backdoor way to do away with the 2nd Amendment...

Exactly. The real reason they want these "safety" measures is not to recall defective guns, but to point to cases of misuse and abuse as evidence a gun is "unsafe" and recall and regulate guns as a way to ban them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Exactly. The real reason they want these "safety" measures is not to recall defective guns, but to point to cases of misuse and abuse as evidence a gun is "unsafe" and recall and regulate guns as a way to ban them.
So even if the gun manufactureres were to put a defective product on the market, a government recall should be interpreted as "backdoor" method in an attempt to ban them.

par·a·noid (pr-noid): exhibiting or characterized by extreme and irrational fear or distrust of others

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So even if the gun manufactureres were to put a defective product on the market, a government recall should be interpreted as "backdoor" method in an attempt to ban them.

par·a·noid (pr-noid): exhibiting or characterized by extreme and irrational fear or distrust of others

It is very paranoid. There are certain types of weapons (9mm handguns come to mind) that are very prone to jamming upon firing. To a novice gun owner, they might try to fire with a jam (oh, maybe I didn't press it hard enough) and could cause an accident. If guns can jam as easily as the 9mms, there needs to be a recall until it can be fixed.

I own a .22 rifle, and had a 12 gauge shotgun when I turned 13. My dad has all types of pistols, has an AR-15, has had an AK-47, and so on. I don't either of us would think 'zomgosh government taking mah guns" if there was a recall effort to make sure that guns are created in a manner to ensure they operate correctly. I would think that most gun owners would want their guns to work properly...

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Do people seriously buy Jennings and Bryco pistols or anything that resembles a Jennings or a Bryco pistol?

Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

It's called you guys already tried this tactic, not paranoia when your side has a track record of pulling these kinds of stunts...

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran

No, but when gun banners are trying to re-brand themselves as "gun safety advocates", I don't trust them with the definition of "defective".

Can you tell, or do you even care about, the difference between a misused or abused gun and a defective one?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,203,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Guns are the most lethal product sold to the American public

Actually, that would be cars...

There are 300 million guns in the US
11,000 homicides per year
63,000 gun injuries (non-fatal)

There are 255 million cars in the US
37,000 deaths per year
2.2 million auto injuries (non-fatal)

Even if you lump the accidental shootings/killings and suicide, cars still take the cake in terms of probability of danger.

Upvote 0