Why are people so obsessed with being skinny ?

Z

Zenaida

It used to be the case that a bigger woman was viewed as a sign that her husband could afford to keep her fat. The older generation in some countries still stick to this, but younger generations, particularly in the cities, are sliding towards the more modern view of thinner is better.

It can become a case of women trying to be a normal size and others looking down on her for wanting to be anything other than the current definition of an attractive size.

It is society. As the general expectations of beauty change so will how individuals want to look/want their partner to look.

It is better for people to simply live a healthy life and allow their bodies to find its own equilibrium than obsess over numbers.

Reactions: Somber
Upvote 0

Rose of Eden

Queen of CF and Child of God
Sep 22, 2010
Florida
Visit site
✟22,366.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh man, I forgot I posted that picture, LOL. Thanks Rose. I still struggle with the frustrations of being "big" and not being judged for being active. I used to be more sensitive to it. Like the comment those guys made, in the past would have made me want to sell my longboard. But that didn't stop me from riding. I'd say about 95% of the time I get good response. Hiking on trails with super fit guys RUNNING by me uphill can be frustrating but the smiles they give me when they pass me on the way back down shows me that they respect my efforts. Sure, I wish some people wouldn't be so judgmental and assume that fat=lazy but that's the nature of the beast, right? People judge. People assume. All we can do is keep doing what is right for us.

I used to be real self-conscious for a while about doing any sort of exercise in public, especially when I was heavier a few years ago. I was always afraid that everyone would be laughing at me and thinking "Hahaha look at her! Just give it up already! Go home and eat some ding-dongs!" (I actually used to get lots of insults pertaining to "ding-dongs" from my peers when I was younger. It confused me because for the longest time I didn't know even know what a ding-dong was...I didn't eat a lot of junk food as a kid! It also hurt, because I was being judged and lumped into a category, as if all I did was sit in front of the TV watching cartoons eating ding-dongs all day.) But anyway, now I realize that, while some people with cruel hearts might say or think things like that, I think most people won't. Most people would think positive things like "Good for her! She's staying active!" or at the very least, respect my efforts. I know that these are the sort of things I think when I see large people working out. But there will always be people who assume, like you said Keri. And there will always be people who have cruel hearts and think and say cruel things. But I won't let them stop me! :D

Thanks for your encouraging story, Keri! You are very inspiring, my beautiful sister! :hug:

Upvote 0

ImperatorWall

Veteran
Sep 11, 2009
The moon
✟18,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh man, I forgot I posted that picture, LOL. Thanks Rose. I still struggle with the frustrations of being "big" and not being judged for being active. I used to be more sensitive to it. Like the comment those guys made, in the past would have made me want to sell my longboard. But that didn't stop me from riding. I'd say about 95% of the time I get good response. Hiking on trails with super fit guys RUNNING by me uphill can be frustrating but the smiles they give me when they pass me on the way back down shows me that they respect my efforts. Sure, I wish some people wouldn't be so judgmental and assume that fat=lazy but that's the nature of the beast, right? People judge. People assume. All we can do is keep doing what is right for us.

I'm that guy. When I fly past someone obviously struggling during a run I feel like they assume I will think the worst of them, but what I really want to do is cheer them on. This is what I would say to them if I did not think they would be offended,

"Keep going, push yourself as hard as you can! It is not about how far or how fast you run, all that matters is that you do. Just don't quit on yourself. Ever. Don't let ANYONE hold you back for ANY reason. This is not for them, this is for you. Anyone that laughs at you for honestly trying is not even worth the effort of thinking about."

Seriously, seeing people make the effort is motivating for me. Too many people give up before they ever try. I wish I could encourage them all.

Upvote 0

Somber

꧁✿❁❀❁✿꧂
Oct 23, 2011
The Fairy Ring
✟101,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I'm that guy. When I fly past someone obviously struggling during a run I feel like they assume I will think the worst of them, but what I really want to do is cheer them on. This is what I would say to them if I did not think they would be offended,

"Keep going, push yourself as hard as you can! It is not about how far or how fast you run, all that matters is that you do. Just don't quit on yourself. Ever. Don't let ANYONE hold you back for ANY reason. This is not for them, this is for you. Anyone that laughs at you for honestly trying is not even worth the effort of thinking about."

Seriously, seeing people make the effort is motivating for me. Too many people give up before they ever try. I wish I could encourage them all.

Me too :thumbsup:

Upvote 0