1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2. Please check out our two newest forums, the "Buy, Sell or Trade" forum in the Society Category, and the "Conspiracy Theories" forum in our Discussion and Debate Category.

Why are men often more crude than women?

Discussion in 'Singles (only*)' started by Reminisce, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Reminisce

Reminisce New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    Don't take this the wrong way but this is something I'm really wondering about. I think most women during their lives experience crude comments from men, I think all my sisters in Christ can agree to that. By crude I mean, not being subtle at all when it comes to intentions and often trying to get away with a not-so-subtle sexualized comment, often while laughing it off to take away the edge. This annoys me. Now, we can all agree that both men and women have sexual desires, but women usually don't go to this extent. Why the difference? Maybe they're not aware of how extremely unattractive and off-putting it is? Again, I'm not trying to stir up something here, just trying to get some answers.

2. Hadassah_

Hadassah_ New Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Generalisation.

I have met some raunchy women and some extremely modest men.

I don't think men are more "crude" than women. I think there are people out there who are crude.

3. Reminisce

Reminisce New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    I said "often", though, I didn't say all men.

4. Amber.ly

Amber.ly Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    Because its culturally acceptable for a guy to have nothing but sex on his mind.

*Not saying all guys are like this or that girls can't be depraved also. We all know that blanket statements about a gender as a whole are erroneous 99% of the time*

5. acropolis

acropolis so rad

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Humanist
    I would say it has a lot to do with socially accepted roles for men and women. Rape culture probably also plays a role, since women are totally non-threatening to a man in a sexual way. When a woman says something crude to a man there is no implied threat of violence, nor any threat to violate them as a person and so on, so men are free to laugh it off or appreciate it. It's a complicated issue that has no simple answer, I suspect.

6. Asvin

Asvin Legend

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Throughout the world, men are considered, at least culturally, to be superior than women.. So they somehow think they have a right to make whatever remarks they want, just as one would make a remark about an animal.. I think it has a LOT to do with culture and the way societies work!

God bless! :)

7. jpcedotal

jpcedotal Old School from the Backwoods - Christian Style

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Constitution
    Faith:
    Christian
    I think there is more to it than just these politically correct answers that do not distinguish that men and women are more different than just physical make-up.

8. Touma

Touma In on the cover up

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    Definitely because it is socially acceptable for guys to be crude. We are taught this all our life. It is 'normal' for guys to be that way. If you are not, you are seen in a much different light.

9. Blank123

Blank123 Legend

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I think it tends to be a generalization because men are actively encouraged by society and peer pressure to act crude, but its hardly a guy issue. In fact i think women are increasingly expected to act and think vulgarly as well. I remember being ridiculed when I was 19 by coworkers because i refused to discuss some of the vulgar things they wanted to. And while i did work with some men, i worked mostly with women. And it was one woman in particular that drove the vulgar discussions.

Its common place for both genders to make crude sexual jokes with eachother. I work with older women now (late thirties-mid fifties) and yes, things do take a crude direction when everyone is gathered to talk. If i attempted to share some of the jokes that came up yesterday... I might get a warning here.

And men act the same way when they get together.

the only time that seems to become inappropriate is when those jokes are told in mixed company, and even then... its usually alright. Its when the jokes turn on an individual and that person expresses their discomfort that a line is crossed. but we're being taught more and more that both genders are nothing apart from their sexuality so thats what we're all taught (regardless of gender) to think about, and thats what comes up in discussions.

but crude women? they're rather common and easy to find, as are crude men. its finding people of both genders that want to rise above that that becomes a challenge.

jpcedotal likes this.
  10. Marycita

Marycita Guest

In addition to that being the culture ..

I think part of it is we allow them to and even encourage it. This is just one kind of example about it, but Oh I cannot tell you how many times I've seen and heard guys make some sort of comment and the girls around him start giggling and joking along with him. Yet later, they'll express their agitation about it. :doh:

11. Thunder Peel

Thunder Peel My Fry-fro's all frizzy

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Because men are insensitive jerks. We don't always mean to be but we are.

12. Reminisce

Reminisce New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    Thank you!!

Haha j/k :D

Seriously though, I'm talking about not only sexual jokes but sexual approaches half covered up as jokes. It's a real turn off and I wish men could understand that. Class is an underrated quality these days.

13. Thunder Peel

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I was being serious. I think it's one reason why so many women are choosing to go it alone instead of looking for a man. We haven't given you all much reason to believe in us or think we're worth being with.

14. Marycita

Marycita Guest

Women, sadly don't give much reason back, either...

15. Saucy

Saucy Active Member Supporter

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    I think everyone is capable of being crude. You personally think men are more so than women, but you would be wrong.

I'm a guy. I think about sex. But I'm very modest and respectful. I do joke around sometimes about it with certain people, but I'm very careful and don't do it constantly. I'm rarely "crude" about it either.

16. Miles

Miles forever endeavour

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    What an insensitively jerkish thing to say.

:p

17. Thunder Peel

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, I'm a man. It's what we do.:p

18. MacFall

MacFall Agorist

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    I can't substantiate this, but I think that our culture often excuses sexual impropriety in men by saying in effect that they can't help themselves. I think it's linked to the same attitude that leads men to say that women shouldn't wear bikinis at beaches. We have a culture that divorces men from responsibility for their sexual thoughts by blaming it on women, and I think that whatever lies at the root of that also makes it more permissible for men to be crude than women. As if a woman's sexuality is the most precious thing in the universe, but men are expected to be promiscuous, and their words are expected to reflect that.

Hadassah_ likes this.
  19. iambren

iambren Newbie

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Nazarene
    How about because we are just DIFFERENT from you women. It may be that we are rebelling, putting distance between us and the "fairer" sex that spends ungodly amounts of time/money on facials, lipstick, the latest curls or uncurls, that wants the diamonds, the CRAZY lavish wedding, belts, shoes, shoes, shoes,fancy underwear and all else in the materialistic universe to prissy up.

All that money that could be used for the gospel around the world, quite a shame. But,yes, men can act shameful too cuz....they're different!

20. r035198x

r035198x Junior Member Supporter

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    Agree with this part. Words reflect actions and conscience.