Why are Christians so hard to get along with?

Jakihe

A Light in the Darkness
Jul 25, 2010
Europe
✟8,342.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This peculiarity of some American Christians is something I noticed as well. Although that's mostly with folks on the internet. None of the Americans I know personally is so hung up about it - and at least some of them are Christians. Certainly people behave differently on the internet, but I think the number of 'radical' Christians even in the US is actually less than boards such as this suggest. Still, the difference is noticable.

I think the way the bible is treated plays an important part in the distinction. I recently read an article by a German theologican claiming that the idea of the verbal inspiration of the bible (i.e. every word is directly Gods and must be followed) was developed in the US in the late 1800s and mostly remained a North American phenomenon. European theology at least seems to view the divine inspiration of the bible differently, with a stronger focus on acts of Jesus Christ himself. A German katholic bishoph (?) recently said that "some people should worry less about the words of the bible, and more about its spirit", or something to that effect.

I also think the difference has a lot to do with the history of Europe vs the NA colonies. In the US (and Canada I suppose) religious groups could for a long time pretty much live on their own, with no need to bother about other religious views. Thus they took their own views more and more for granted.
In Europe on the other hand, people had to learn to deal with differing beliefs far more, and at least after the Thirty Years War learn to get along with different denomination. Things like proselytizing were out of the question when your religious denomination was determined by your local lord. And to this that Christian proselytizing is practically non-existant in Europe (afaik).

Some good points

Upvote 0

Satt

Dec 3, 2004
Secret Ninja Villiage
✟8,745.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
In which part of the country are these masked Christians? I've not run into that, at all.

PS
Ewww, why would you want to be friends with a Satanist?

Really? One of my long-time friends used to be a christian and is now a Satanist. It was never discusting to be friends with him and his wife before, so why should it be any diffrent now? Saying "Ewww" isn't very nice when talking about ANY person. BTW, I live in the bible belt. (Headquaters of the Church of God if that tell you more precicely)

Upvote 0

Satt

Dec 3, 2004
Secret Ninja Villiage
✟8,745.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

DontTreadOnMike

Eddaic Literalist
Jan 28, 2010
✟16,936.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Really? One of my long-time friends used to be a christian and is now a Satanist. It was never discusting to be friends with him and his wife before, so why should it be any diffrent now? Saying "Ewww" isn't very nice when talking about ANY person. BTW, I live in the bible belt. (Headquaters of the Church of God if that tell you more precicely)

Yep, I've been friends with real life vodoun practitioner for years. Not exactly a satanist but still "icky" to Christians. Even back when I was a fundy she was a great friend. She's never been anything but kind and generous and has never been fake like you were describing. (the only thing you have to be careful of is to make sure she doesn't steal a lock of you hair while you aren't paying attention ;) )But when I was at church, everyone was on eggshells around each other. Everyone was either afraid that they would accidentally reveal something about themselves that would be considered sinful, or they were constantly looking for chances to prove their Christ-like-ness by quote scripture our offer unsolicited advice based of scripture.

Upvote 0

DontTreadOnMike

Eddaic Literalist
Jan 28, 2010
✟16,936.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He is a priest in the Church of Satan.

The Church of Satan is an organization dedicated to the acceptance of the carnal self, as articulated in The Satanic Bible, written in 1968 by Anton Szandor LaVey

Ah so he's not a theistic satanist then. They're more like humanists with rituals designed to creep out and offend Christians. Funs stuff :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Satt

Dec 3, 2004
Secret Ninja Villiage
✟8,745.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree because I have seen it (and still do). There seems to be so much conflict between Christians and usually denominations is what causes that, IMO. What do YOU think is the reason? :)

Well, I do think that Christianity is WAY too de-centralized. I REALLY wish there was ONE "Christian" church and that was it. Also though, I think it has a lot to do with fear. So many Christians seem to walk on eggshells because they are afraid of being human. There seems to be this Christo-Platonism around that thinks that Spirit=Good and Body=Bad. I don't buy into that. We were created the way we are. If Jesus really died to make us free, than by God, let's be free.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I have been a Christian for several years and I grew up (mostly) in a Christian area. In my adult years I have lived in many non-Christian areas. What I have found is that without exception, when I talk to Christians, they have this mask on at all times. It is really annoying. I can talk to my Satanist, Wiccan, Athiest, etc. friends all day and they are just "real" with me and we can even talk about Christian issues and they are cool about it. When I talk to Christians though, it seems that they always have to have this "front" where they know all the answers and they have to use scriptures to constantly correct you even in casual converstation. It's like I just can't talk to other Christians because they are wound up so tight and get so easilly offended. I do NOT walk on eggshells and I refuse to not be myself. Why does it seem that Christians are so hard to be yourself around and just relax and get along with?

Yup, know exactly what you mean.

I put it down to there generally being more judgementalism among Christians than among other groups. Just results in everyone putting on a front.

That, and the phrase "I don't know" seems to be a four-letter-word to a lot of Christians.

Upvote 0

Hakan101

Here I Am
Mar 11, 2010
Earth
✟1,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Yup, know exactly what you mean.

I put it down to there generally being more judgementalism among Christians than among other groups. Just results in everyone putting on a front.

That, and the phrase "I don't know" seems to be a four-letter-word to a lot of Christians.

Many people are still learning things on their path to Christ. However, it should be noted that part of our understanding and faith in God is that we recognize we cannot know everything, it is simply a fact of life. However, because God is the one that knows everything, we can put our faith in him, so we do not have to worry even if there are things we do not know.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
I have been a Christian for several years and I grew up (mostly) in a Christian area. In my adult years I have lived in many non-Christian areas. What I have found is that without exception, when I talk to Christians, they have this mask on at all times. It is really annoying. I can talk to my Satanist, Wiccan, Athiest, etc. friends all day and they are just "real" with me and we can even talk about Christian issues and they are cool about it. When I talk to Christians though, it seems that they always have to have this "front" where they know all the answers and they have to use scriptures to constantly correct you even in casual converstation. It's like I just can't talk to other Christians because they are wound up so tight and get so easilly offended. I do NOT walk on eggshells and I refuse to not be myself. Why does it seem that Christians are so hard to be yourself around and just relax and get along with?

Forgive me for starting out with a quote, but that seems to be one of the few things that such brand of Christians will listen to:

John 13
31When he was gone, Jesus said, “Now is the Son of Man glorified and God is glorified in him. 32If God is glorified in him,c God will glorify the Son in himself, and will glorify him at once.

33“My children, I will be with you only a little longer. You will look for me, and just as I told the Jews, so I tell you now: Where I am going, you cannot come.

34“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

This say that all men will know that someone is a disciple, by the way that they show love. A song I sang as a kid was, "And they'll know we are Christians by our love."

But that isn't how you know them. You know them by their insistence to teach, but refusal to learn, which is hypocrisy.

They seem false, as if wearing a mask. Jesus was very approachable to everyone.

They are quoting Scripture to you, even though you aren't a Christian. Would it make sense for a Muslim to quote the Quran to an atheist?

If your experience is anything like mine, they offer the threat of hell, rather than the joy of simply knowing God. They demand that you repent, as if they want you to admit to them that you are bad, and will focus on sin, but will downplay the importance of love or ignore it all together, with is a contradiction of the most important message of the bible. They will exalt themselves by condemning you, something Christ said not to do, because it angers and offends God. They will believe themselves forgiven by God, but not forgive others, something that is warned of in a parable. They will see you as an enemy to conquer and convert, rather than a brother or sister in the human family. The demand that you listen to them, but refuse to listen to you, your beliefs, and really contemplate and respect them.

So, why is it difficult? They are living like Modern Day Pharisees. The Pharisees used the law to burden and control people, while they didn't follow it themselves. They enjoyed being thought of as holy before men. They looked down on "sinners" and didn't even acknowledge their presence, thought some people unworthy to even worship God or worthy to have their prayers heard.

Jesus didn't get along with them either. It's not you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums