Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree, when it is personal. If I am being treated a certain way because of my outer appearance, yes, it is racial. If my son is having racial slurs thrown at him, then yes, it is racial. But if I'm looking at a story on TV, and one man hurts another and they just so happen to be of different races, a lot of people assume (hence, assume) that it is racial. Oh yes, racial divisions are real. Racial hatred is real. And many brown skinned people have experienced it. But guess what? Whites have experienced it too. And it feels good for no one. But for people to assume something without having the facts is like they just need some sort of justification based on skin color. It doesn't help the situation.

I agree. There is a limit. For example, when people began to criticize President Obama, some were saying it was racial. It was tempting to agree, then I realized that they were having honest policy disagreements.

And on the flip side, I have had many racial slurs hurled my way. I have been called a white devil before. I was recently called a cracker(who even uses that word anymore?!). When I was younger, I was a bit darker skinned than I am now and was told to come back where I came from (evidently Southern Illinois is a foreign country now???). So it does happen both ways, and there are some things that are called racist when they aren't.

All of that being said, it is time for a lot of people to get a clue. Racial division is just as prevalent as before. Just because we have laws on the books to prevent discrimination doesn't mean that discrimination doesn't exist in the minds and hearts of people.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have another question about black people: why do they always play the race card? It's just annoying.

they don't always.

It'd make just as much sense to ask why white people always look down on black people.

People are individuals. And should be taken as such. Generalizations like this perpetuate stereotypes and mindsets.

Its 2012. Its time people moved past all this nonsense.

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a shaved headed white boy, I believe I can speak for all my fellow brothers and sisters............... I blame Micheal Jackson.

I think it is a fear, fear that you are born a black man and will die a scary lookin rich white woman. *hiding under desk from the onslaught of rotten tomatoes that will surely be hurled at me*

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟381,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Its not a black issue. Its a people issue.

Agreed.

However, I can see how some individuals in minority groups might accuse each other of "selling out" if they get ahead by acting like those in the majority people group. This isn't a uniquely black issue, but the problem may be more complicated by skin color differences. One's color doesn't change when one assimilates into a particular culture, perhaps leaving them more noticeable as targets for jealousy.

Upvote 0

The Dreamer

Apr 11, 2012
✟422.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The company I used to work for had a road trip to watch a baseball game. I was pretty good friends with this one black guy, so we chilled and what not.

So my friend managed to strike a deal with a black guy selling beers in the stadium, it was like if we gave him 20 bucks we could get all the beer we wanted.

Anyway, dude cut us off, so when we we're leaving the stadium, my friend started arguing with him and said, "here you go nappy" and poured beer on him. Pretty awkward.

FWIW

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KingCrimson250

IS A HOMEBOY
Apr 10, 2009
✟18,395.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The company I used to work for had a road trip to watch a baseball game. I was pretty good friends with this one black guy, so we chilled and what not.

So my friend managed to strike a deal with a black guy selling bears in the stadium, it was like if we gave him 20 bucks we could get all the bear we wanted.

Anyway, dude cut us off, so when we we're leaving the stadium, my friend started arguing with him and said, "here you go nappy" and poured bear on him. Pretty awkward.

FWIW

This is the best post ever. I'm just picturing the two of you sicking a bear on some poor stadium worker.

Upvote 0

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Dreamer said:

So my friend managed to strike a deal with a black guy selling bears in the stadium, it was like if we gave him 20 bucks we could get all the bear we wanted.

Anyway, dude cut us off, so when we we're leaving the stadium, my friend started arguing with him and said, "here you go nappy" and poured bear on him. Pretty awkward.

FWIW

Bear: the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Touma said:
I was recently called a cracker(who even uses that word anymore?!).

I do. I'd call a racist white dude a cracker every day if I could find one. :D

Actually, I live in Texas. They're not that hard to find so I guess I'm just lazy.

Upvote 0

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Prejudice of all kinds are all around us everyday. Generalizing never helps because it offends people that don't fit into that generalization.

I hadn't thought much about blacks being jealous of "other" blacks until this thread, but I don't doubt the OP. To me, it seems it's a no win situation. If someone of color gets ahead, some people, of all colors are going to be unhappy on all sides and "some" will assume it's because of, or whatever of their color. Blacks can be "too white" for other Blacks and some White people are called "too black" or wanna be or whatever.

What I don't like is the double standard. If it's not OK to have an all white whatever, why is it OK to have the all Black college fund or Black Entertainment Network? If it's not OK to use certain words that start with "N" then why do certain Blacks use it with each other and that is OK? And if I don't like the current President, why is it assumed I am predjudiced against him because of his race? Why can't I just dislike him because I don't like what he believes in?

I grew up in what is called "watts" in CA. Predominately black school in elementary. I am SO glad I did, because it enabled me to grow in my first school years without seeing color. My best girlfriend was a little black girl named Kathy. She used to wear her hair in three little twisted pony tails (IDK what black people call that) and I wanted my hair like Kathy (I am white and blond with straight thin hair). MY mom had to put my hair in three pony tails and I sat in front of the mirror twisting and letting go "trying" to make my hair like Kathy's because my mom could not convince me that my hair was different! I do not consider myself predjudiced except that I don't like it when other people (I don't care what color they are) claim everyone else is predjudiced. It can't die down (I don't think we will ever be fully free from it) until we quit saying everything is racial IMO. :wave:

Upvote 0

Reminisce

Nov 3, 2011
✟1,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem is that black people think they own other black people. Case in point; if a black man sees me with a white boyfriend he will either bother him or me, or both. I'm so fed up of feeling that people think they own me because of the color of my skin. Maybe the rest of you can't relate but I grew up as a minority in my country and I thought that was the problem, that the other people of that minority somehow feel they are entitled to me. But then I go to all-black Africa and much to my horror, people still think they own me. Seriously, what is wrong with black people?

Upvote 0

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe it's the stick with your own kind ideology or maybe its because of past struggles that Blacks had being minorities that some of them feel that they need to keep everything from being taken from them (even it is a black woman dating a white guy that of course they don't "own").

I've seen the other side of the coin where "some" black men consider it a "prize" or "trophy" to "get" a white woman. And if she's blonde it's a double bonus.

It's not right, but don't let their ignorance keep you down. Or try not to anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Dreamer

Apr 11, 2012
✟422.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is the best post ever. I'm just picturing the two of you sicking a bear on some poor stadium worker.

Bear: the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

Fair enough....ya got me. Hmm, even talking about the subject throws me off my game. (let alone living with integration)

For the record, I was hoping to just leave. Being that it was a behind the scenes deal (with the vendor) and our bosses were there.

Reactions: Touma
Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Fair enough....ya got me. Hmm, even talking about the subject throws me off my game. (let alone living with integration)

For the record, I was hoping to just leave. Being that it was a behind the scenes deal (with the vendor) and our bosses were there.

I'm dying over here.

Reactions: The Dreamer
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.