Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
I quite agree. However, a fact is still a fact.

It is interesting to see how people respond to facts.

They can integrate them.

They can turn them into abstractions so they don't have to deal with them.

They can deny them completely.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Several popes have indicated that a literal understanding of Genesis is not necessary and that Christianity is compatible with the theory of evolution.
Well the Pope said it so it must be true. More proof that what he says is governed by politics/public persuasion then God. He is afraid to stand up against science. Maybe because of the previous teaching that the earth was the center of the universe.

Let me just note some differences. Scripture does not say the earth is at the center. Scripture does say God created this world in 6 days less than 10,000 years ago. On the science side, science has proven that the earth revolves around the sun. Science has not proven the big bang theory or macro evolution. Science has not proven that the earth/Milky Way galaxy is not the center of the universe.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is interesting to see how people respond to facts.
Sorry, it is not a fact that the Genesis account of creation is a myth. It might be a fact that a majority of Christians believe so. Regardless, majority does not mean truth.

God's word is truth. The greatest concern for the future of Christianity is that people stop treating the Bible as truth. Once you start down this road, there is no end of doubting the words. People will dismiss any part of scripture, for any reason. Like homosexuality is an abomination to God.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I can just claim a majority of Christians think Anglicans are heretics and you can't question it?
Didn't read what I actually wrote, didja? I asked if truth could be established by popular vote, to which question I assumed the answer to be "no".

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think somebody brought it up in another thread that it was interesting how different denominations interpret scripture literally. Some take Genesis as literal and others take the Eucharist or as us baptist like to call it: Communion, as the literal body and blood of Christ. Strange how we pick and choose what is literal and what is not.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Didn't read what I actually wrote, didja? I asked if truth could be established by popular vote, to which question I assumed the answer to be "no".
If you read my post it has nothing to do with your comment and you wouldn't even be adding to the so prevalent as you say meaningless posts in this thread.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I vehemently reject this. Mostly because of the statement of 'mere myth'.

I agree

the OP makes some good points on issues 1,2, and 3
but in point 4 he assumes that Genesis 1 being a myth means we have no need for a Redeemer is a huge leap, the reality of sin is self evident if it was a myth or literal
and in point 5 he shows that he does not understand the necessity of myths

in a lot of ways, this line of thinking is more in line with secularist atheists who want everything to be proven scientifically

I think somebody brought it up in another thread that it was interesting how different denominations interpret scripture literally. Some take Genesis as literal and others take the Eucharist or as us baptist like to call it: Communion, as the literal body and blood of Christ. Strange how we pick and choose what is literal and what is not.
it is also weird that these two groups do not have a lot of over lap
but I do know a few Young Earth Creationist Catholics with deep devotion to the Eucharist as Body and Blood of our Lord
but they are few and far between

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I agree

the OP makes some good points on issues 1,2, and 3
but in point 4 he assumes that Genesis 1 being a myth means we have no need for a Redeemer is a huge leap, the reality of sin is self evident if it was a myth or literal
and in point 5 he shows that he does not understand the necessity of myths

in a lot of ways, this line of thinking is more in line with secularist atheists who want everything to be proven scientifically

it is also weird that these two groups do not have a lot of over lap
but I do know a few Young Earth Creationist Catholics with deep devotion to the Eucharist as Body and Blood of our Lord
but they are few and far between
The Eucharist is a big deal to me. I was trying this non-denominational church and then they had communion and I was handed this:
E9227968-1DAD-4D7E-9F52-FF83734F6CA0.jpg

I walked out of the church and never returned I felt so insulted by how nominal they treated one of Christianity's oldest traditions. the body of Christ is on top if you can't see it.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Eucharist is a big deal to me. I was trying this non-denominational church and then they had communion and I was handed this:
E9227968-1DAD-4D7E-9F52-FF83734F6CA0.jpg

I walked out of the church and never returned I felt so insulted by how nominal they treated one of Christianity's oldest traditions. the body of Christ is on top if you can't see it.
We used to use homemade bread for Holy Communion. Unfortunately our organist, who baked it, passed away so now we are back to wafers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you read my post it has nothing to do with your comment and you wouldn't even be adding to the so prevalent as you say meaningless posts in this thread.
Does that mean that you do believe that whatever the majority believes must necessarily be the truth? How very odd. But no more odd, I suppose, than believing that the amount of time it took God to create the universe is of critical importance to Christians. Sounds like a lot of gnat straining and camel swallowing to me

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Eucharist is a big deal to me.
As well it should be.

1 Corinthians 11
27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

Many explicitly deny that our Lord's Body and Blood are present in the elements of the Eucharist. It's not that they simply fail too discern them, they openly declare that they aren't there. The bread and wine are simply a ritual snack, and of no special significance. These same folks, however, demand that the creation accounts in Genesis must be taken literally. It's like throwing away the lobster and eating the shell.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does that mean that you do believe that whatever the majority believes must necessarily be the truth? How very odd. But no more odd, I suppose, than believing that the amount of time it took God to create the universe is of critical importance to Christians. Sounds like a lot of gnat straining and camel swallowing to me
Still missing my point, but assigning assumption to another. Meaningless post.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
It is only in the USA where a large segment of Christians interpret Genesis literally. In a recent poll the figure was 42% IIRC. In other nations that figure is much smaller. Several popes have indicated that a literal understanding of Genesis is not necessary and that Christianity is compatible with the theory of evolution. BTW, Catholics make up about half of Christianity worldwide.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
OOpps, having trouble with my mouse--

Mat_7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Being one of the few is not exactly a problem with the Lord.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
There are many, many who believe that the bread and wine turn into the actual body and blood of Jesus, these same ones will turn around and declare that Gen is only an allegory and deny the power of the Almighty Living God to have created the earth in 6 days. You can literally eat the body and drink the blood of Jesus Christ, but He couldn't have literally made the world in 6 days. That is worse than throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are many, many who believe that the bread and wine turn into the actual body and blood of Jesus, these same ones will turn around and declare that Gen is only an allegory and deny the power of the Almighty Living God to have created the earth in 6 days. You can literally eat the body and drink the blood of Jesus Christ, but He couldn't have literally made the world in 6 days. That is worse than throwing the baby out with the bath water.
So are they both true for you then?

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
As well it should be.

1 Corinthians 11
27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

Many explicitly deny that our Lord's Body and Blood are present in the elements of the Eucharist. It's not that they simply fail too discern them, they openly declare that they aren't there. The bread and wine are simply a ritual snack, and of no special significance. These same folks, however, demand that the creation accounts in Genesis must be taken literally. It's like throwing away the lobster and eating the shell.
As a baptist, we are told it just in remembrance, but I definitely feel something every time I do it. So there is more to it than what I have been told my whole life. It should be a big deal to any Christian and should never be done nominally. I like the Quakers do it every dinner meal.[so I've been told] I don't know if that is a nominal way of doing because I have never been around any qaukers to see it happen. So me, any Christian who does not wish to do it has some serious issues and I question your Christianity first and foremost. Refusing or not wanting to do it is a lot different than not being able to do it because of circumstances in life though.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
So are they both true for you then?

Only the Genesis account. It is the literal. The bread and wine are symbolic. The blood has always been symbolic. I know of none who has been literally drenched in the blood of Christ to have their sins removed. If you want to believe that it is the real blood of Christ and His real body--that's your choice. So we're told to not eat blood, then told to do so?
Act_15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
Act_15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
Act_15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
Act_15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Rev_7:14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

Are we really going to put our robes into a bucket of blood and literally wash our robes in that blood?
Unless you have Jesus indwelling in your heart, there is no life in you. It is through His shed blood that we are saved. Once--it was shed once and that is all that was needed, not over and over again as the mortal priests did with mortal blood. His is immortal and once for all. We are to have the bread and wine "as a remembrance"--

Upvote 0