Wht happens if a Catholic cannot physically get to church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Just out of curiosity...

What happens if a Catholic has a job that physically prevents them from attending Mass? For example, working on a cruise ship where you are at sea every Saturday and Sunday, working in mountain ski chalets where you'd have to have a car and drive 1-2 hours to Mass, and you're out of luck if you can't drive or get a ride.

Would you say that we can't accept jobs like that? What if you get an awesome opportunity to work for a cruise company and you'd love the opportunity to work at sea?

And no, let's say that the hypothetical cruise ship does not have any religious celebrations on the Saturday or Sunday.

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
For the cruise ship workers, they don't get a day off when they come to port on Sunday. They're working hard to transfer the previous cruise guests off, and invite the new cruise guests on. It's a mad house.

Most cruise ships have some sort of chapel, which I think is nice, but simply getting off the ship and finding a church is not an option for the cruise ship workers. Their companies are very, very strict and they have to give 110% to stay employed. At least, that's how it is for Royal Caribbean.

I'm just wondering because I just got back from a cruise and it was pretty much the best thing I've ever done in my entire life. I am fascinated by life at sea and it would be interesting to work for a cruise company, whether part- or full-time.

I just like to know things for the sake of knowing them.

Upvote 0

IgnatiusOfAntioch

Contributor
May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Just out of curiosity...

What happens if a Catholic has a job that physically prevents them from attending Mass? For example, working on a cruise ship where you are at sea every Saturday and Sunday, working in mountain ski chalets where you'd have to have a car and drive 1-2 hours to Mass, and you're out of luck if you can't drive or get a ride.

Would you say that we can't accept jobs like that? What if you get an awesome opportunity to work for a cruise company and you'd love the opportunity to work at sea?

And no, let's say that the hypothetical cruise ship does not have any religious celebrations on the Saturday or Sunday.

Then you are despensed from the obligation. No worries.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Believe it or not, we here in the US are flush with priests compared to many parts of the third world.

Not only that, we have transportation to get to church, even if it's twenty miles away.

So what do Catholics in the third world do with no auto transportation, no roads, and a traveling priest who gets to their town by jeep every six weeks?

They do the best they can. I am sure they meet for communal prayer services, led by laity.

And if you are in difficult circumstances, you do the best you can too.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.