Who will corporate media pick now for the GOP post-NH?

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders Win the New Hampshire Primaries

It was clear that Trump was going to win, but the media decided to ignore Cruz in favor of Rubio. After Chris Christie took a bite out of him during the debate (no pun intended), it looks like the establishment boat is rudderless yet again.

MANCHESTER, N.H. — Donald J. Trump and Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont harnessed working-class fury to surge to commanding victories in a New Hampshire primary that drew energetic turnout across the state.

The victories by two outsider candidates dealt a remarkable rebuke to the political establishment, and left the race deeply unsettled.
Marco...

...Polo!

On the Democratic side, it's much simpler, since it's just Clinton vs. Sanders, the question for them is when will they start treating Sanders like an equal opponent instead of writing articles about him with Clinton as the headline?

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad to see that Gov. Kasich had a respectable showing. As the article notes, he's very attractive to independents, moderates, and voters who value pragmatism more than bombastic ranting and ideological zealotry. If the Republican establishment wants a candidate who can actually win 270 EVs, he's the man.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Its going to have to be either Bush or Kasich, prolly the later as Bush just cant seem to get traction. I would have never guessed rubio to be such an inept candidate.

Vylo! There is no such word as "prolly"!

Fix it!

Upvote 0

DLR

Dec 30, 2015
Iowa
✟8,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been wondering the same and it will be interesting to watch. I think I read that Kasich only has about $2mil left as NH was an "all in" strategy. That could change of course, but he doesn't have long to find money with Super Tuesday coming up real soon. Establishment is quickly running out of options. They have to get past Cruz first. He has plenty of funding and will do well in conservative venues. I'm starting to believe all this is going to get Trump nominated if the field doesn't diminish in a hurry.

On the DEM side... Media isn't going to let go of Clinton until Bernie actually beats her in a racially diverse state with lots of delegates. They'll get on the bandwagon then out of fear a REP will get elected if they don't.

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad to see that Gov. Kasich had a respectable showing. As the article notes, he's very attractive to independents, moderates, and voters who value pragmatism more than bombastic ranting and ideological zealotry. If the Republican establishment wants a candidate who can actually win 270 EVs, he's the man.

He's way too moderate, right in line with McCain and Romney, which is why I suspect the Democrats are rooting so hard for him. They know he doesn't stand a chance.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,570.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
He's way too moderate, right in line with McCain and Romney, which is why I suspect the Democrats are rooting so hard for him. They know he doesn't stand a chance.
the democrats are rooting for Sanders or Clinton. The democrats are not rooting for Kasich. The democrats are wondering why republicans choose people like Trump and Cruz over people like Kasich and Bush.

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
the democrats are rooting for Sanders or Clinton. The democrats are not rooting for Kasich. The democrats are wondering why republicans choose people like Trump and Cruz over people like Kasich and Bush.

For the exact reason I just cited: they're moderate candidates that will not stand up to the Democrats or push for any conservative legislation, hence why many Democrats think they're logical choices.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟838,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
???

Kasich certainly has a chance to beat the Democrats.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pakicetus

Apr 11, 2015
✟89,017.00
Country
Faroe Islands
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm rooting for Trump and Cruz. If either of them wins the Republican nomination, there's a chance their general craziness will not only cause them to lose the general election, but even discredit their entire party in the eyes of the public.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The moderates chose the President most of the time. Romney was a fake conservative and most moderates didn't buy his act as worthy of a vote for President.

President Obama, like most Presidents, operates as a moderate (just left of center). Even St. Reagan was a moderate in office (right of center). A candidate gets nominated by playing to the party's core. But he/she cannot win in November without pulling in the moderates. A party's base represents about one-third of the electorate. In a two-horse race, that is not enough.

Trump's biggest advantage in the primaries is the number of other candidates still actively campaigning. Christie now is "suspending" his campaign. Kasich doesn't have enough cash to sustain, although, he'd be a better choice in November than Trump or Cruz against either Democrat, IMHO.

Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
???

Kasich certainly has a chance to beat the Democrats.

He doesn't have a chance. Democrats won't cross the aisle to vote for him, conservatives aren't excited about him and most independents aren't that enthusiastic either. The GOP loses when they run moderates and they would be foolish to think it will work this time.

Upvote 0

DLR

Dec 30, 2015
Iowa
✟8,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He doesn't have a chance. Democrats won't cross the aisle to vote for him, conservatives aren't excited about him and most independents aren't that enthusiastic either. The GOP loses when they run moderates and they would be foolish to think it will work this time.

Agreed. It's not complicated if a person can take the partisan blinders off long enough to understand what the other side desires. It's not uncommon for the "other side" to prefer your second and third tier candidates.

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Agreed. It's not complicated if a person can take the partisan blinders off long enough to understand what the other side desires. It's not uncommon for the "other side" to prefer your second and third tier candidates.
I have no fears in a general election against ANY of your candidates, be it Trump, Cruz, Bush, Rubio, or whoever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure what that has to do with the OP or my last comment? Please explain if you care to.
You spoke of the other side not being afraid of the 2nd or 3rd tier candidates. I'm saying bring them ALL on, 1st, 2nd or any tier you got.

Upvote 0

DLR

Dec 30, 2015
Iowa
✟8,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK, sorry if I wasn't clear. I was not speaking of fear. What I meant was it is natural to "prefer the views" of a candidate on the other side that is likely NOT a front runner. The parties are farther apart than ever before. A moderate is highly unlikely to do well in the primaries for either party and will not be top tier candidates. A number of my lefty friends have told me Kasich is the only decent Republican candidate. Watch him go nowhere from here. If the DEMs put up an evangelical candidate that speaks out against excessive deficit spending, I would very likely think he is your "best" candidate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
For the exact reason I just cited: they're moderate candidates that will not stand up to the Democrats or push for any conservative legislation, hence why many Democrats think they're logical choices.

Get a clue. Most of the American electorate is moderate--neither hard-line liberal nor conservative. They're not partisan, and they're they're sick to death of uncompromising ideological purists on either end, who accomplish nothing but government paralysis. I'd really love to see bipartisan ticket: a moderate conservative Republican like John Kasich, running with a moderate liberal Democrat like Claire McCaskill (who's my senior Senator.) That would be a brilliant combination, and a surefire winner.

Upvote 0