Who was the right to the land of Israel?

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am not creating this thread to dispute the widely held Christian belief that God promised the land of Israel to the Jews, when he told Abraham that he was giving him the land. What I'm saying is this.

Jewish is not simply a religion or an ethnicity. It is both an ethnicity and a religion (ethnoreligious) and a cultural group too. You can be Jewish ethnically and not religious-usually people are both. You can be considered a Jew because your mother was either a Jew ethnically or religious, and pass on Jewishness to descendants because of that, as part of ethnicity, regardless if you practice the religion or not. And there are some people (this could apply to people of any ethnicity or race-even Sammy Davis Jr was a Jew), who convert to Judaism and become Jews because of that.

There are jews in places far away from the Holy Land of the bible-people who arent even descendants of the ancient Hebrews, but converted to the religion. There are jews in africa, Ashenazi Jews are white (technically mixed race because of intermarrying-but still related to ancient Hebrews) There are even Chinese and Japanese people who converted to Judaism and are considered Jews-theyre a very small minority-but they exist.

Do God's promises of giving the land to the Jews also apply to people who converted to Judaism but are not descendants of the ancient Israelites? Do those promises apply to those who are not practicing Jews but are considered ethnically Jewish because of their mother (not even sure if that rule of determining Jewishness existed in bibical times or is a more recent cultural tradition.)

There's no doubt that the state of Israel is the land that God promised the Jews millenia ago, but do you think God's promise give them the land for many generations applies people who fall under any definition of Jewishness, or just those who are ethnically related to the Ancient Hebrews in some way?

Anna the Seeker

Oct 27, 2014
✟8,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's no doubt that the state of Israel is the land that God promised the Jews millenia ago, but do you think God's promise give them the land for many generations applies people who fall under any definition of Jewishness, or just those who are ethnically related to the Ancient Hebrews in some way?
Do you mean DNA by "ethnically related"?

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The land belongs to the people sitting on it right now. That is the standard that applies to all nations. Almost every acre of dirt in this world has been possessed by someone other than the current occupants, so we have created a standard that gives the predominant property rights to the nation that exists now. Israel was granted to the Jews by the UN and that's all there is to it.

You're right about the ethnicity of modern Jews. Most are Ashkenazi, who are descended from Huns. Those Jews treat the Sephardic Jews (i.e. The Semitic Jews) as second-class citizens in Israel.

Israel is just a country.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God has claimed that area as His, to do with as He will.

He has set it aside for the descendants of Abraham for all time.

But the OP makes good points. There are Jews who are not actual descendants and there are descendants who are no longer Jews. Which one has a claim to the land?

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you convert to Judism at conversion your past is wiped away never to be mentioned again so at that point you are Jewish and entitled to all Gods promises to them

That's interesting from a theological point of view. Is there any biblical support for that?

Upvote 0

phydaux

Oct 22, 2014
Hudson, NH
✟14,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But the OP makes good points. There are Jews who are not actual descendants and there are descendants who are no longer Jews. Which one has a claim to the land?

And after the Diaspora there were Jews who chose to remain in Babylon.

I would say that "Jew" can refer to a national identity, a racial identity, a cultural identity and a religious identity. however I would also say that ever since 1948 it has referred, Bionically speaking, to the nation Israel as it currently inhabits the land.

100 years ago, sure, you could make a case that "The church is spiritual Israel" because there WAS NO NATION. Today we can look and see that both a dead nation & a dead language, both dead for nearly 2000 years, has been fully revived. How anyone can look at that and not say that doesn't constitute a miracle in modern times is beyond me.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The land belongs to the people sitting on it right now. That is the standard that applies to all nations. Almost every acre of dirt in this world has been possessed by someone other than the current occupants, so we have created a standard that gives the predominant property rights to the nation that exists now. Israel was granted to the Jews by the UN and that's all there is to it.

You're right about the ethnicity of modern Jews. Most are Ashkenazi, who are descended from Huns. Those Jews treat the Sephardic Jews (i.e. The Semitic Jews) as second-class citizens in Israel.

Israel is just a country.

Why are they treated as second class citizens? If anything, theyre probably more related to the ancient Hebrews than the Ashkenazi Jews-and have more of a right to the land of israel. With the exception of Turks and some minorities like Kurds and berbers, most middle eastern people dont look white. They look brownish (not meant to be racist, just a description). Ashkenazi Jews look 100% white and probably have a lot of European genes because of intermarrying with European converts-Sephardic Jews look more Mid Eastern and probably are more related to the hebrews.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
That's interesting from a theological point of view. Is there any biblical support for that?
Only thing I would know is that when sin is forgiven God does not remember it thats a lot better than church people usually do

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
And after the Diaspora there were Jews who chose to remain in Babylon.

I would say that "Jew" can refer to a national identity, a racial identity, a cultural identity and a religious identity. however I would also say that ever since 1948 it has referred, Bionically speaking, to the nation Israel as it currently inhabits the land.

100 years ago, sure, you could make a case that "The church is spiritual Israel" because there WAS NO NATION. Today we can look and see that both a dead nation & a dead language, both dead for nearly 2000 years, has been fully revived. How anyone can look at that and not say that doesn't constitute a miracle in modern times is beyond me.
We are grafted in but the church never was and never will be Israel.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Only thing I would know is that when sin is forgiven God does not remember it thats a lot better than church people usually do

Of course that's better than "church people" usually do! They are only people--a spiritual being encased in the weak flesh of a sinful world. But I haven't ever seen any scriptural support for the notion that a person's sin is wiped away when they become a Jew. Not that it would matter because, they would be dirtied up with sin within a very short period time afterwards.

But, if a person can convert and join the lineage of Abraham, the branches that were grafted on must also be in that lineage. There actually is scriptural support for that. So, the nation called "Israel" (as opposed to the state called Israel) is much larger than many believe.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Of course that's better than "church people" usually do! They are only people--a spiritual being encased in the weak flesh of a sinful world. But I haven't ever seen any scriptural support for the notion that a person's sin is wiped away when they become a Jew. Not that it would matter because, they would be dirtied up with sin within a very short period time afterwards.

But, if a person can convert and join the lineage of Abraham, the branches that were grafted on must also be in that lineage. There actually is scriptural support for that. So, the nation called "Israel" (as opposed to the state called Israel) is much larger than many believe.
I agree with grafted in and as for the other it is what they do as Jews, your past is never to be mentioned again and as far as being physical, we are, but our covenant is spiritual and our temple is spiritual as is our high priest. We must become spiritual and that is what Paul was trying to get the church to do. It is not about Jew or Gentile but rather being in the spirit.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with grafted in and as for the other it is what they do as Jews, your past is never to be mentioned again and as far as being physical, we are, but our covenant is spiritual and our temple is spiritual as is our high priest. We must become spiritual and that is what Paul was trying to get the church to do. It is not about Jew or Gentile but rather being in the spirit.

Jews no longer have a High Priest, however Christians do. In fact, the entire Levitical priesthood no longer exists, along with the temple.

It is true that it not about being Jew or Gentile, but Paul is only talking about those who are in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Jews no longer have a High Priest, however Christians do. In fact, the entire Levitical priesthood no longer exists, along with the temple.

It is true that it not about being Jew or Gentile, but Paul is only talking about those who are in Christ.
I agree, what did you think I was talking about? Our high priest and temple is in heaven and can only be touched spiritually so we must crucify the old man and be in the spirit in order to worship. That is why the verse about worshipping in spirit and in truth

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree, what did you think I was talking about? Our high priest and temple is in heaven and can only be touched spiritually so we must crucify the old man and be in the spirit in order to worship. That is why the verse about worshipping in spirit and in truth

I'm not sure what you were talking about. The thread is about the nation-state of Israel and I asked about ethnic Jews vs converted Jews vs non-practicing ethnic Jews as the question of who is the "chosen people" to whom God "gave" that land. That's why I asked you for clarification.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not sure what you were talking about. The thread is about the nation-state of Israel and I asked about ethnic Jews vs converted Jews vs non-practicing ethnic Jews as the question of who is the "chosen people" to whom God "gave" that land. That's why I asked you for clarification.
OK sorry:)

Upvote 0