who or what is the Devil, Satan, that old serpent, the great dragon?

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
2 Corinthians 4:

3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Note the use of the SMALL 'g' in god. The 'god of THIS WORLD' is NOT the Father of Christ. The 'god of this world' is Satan, the devil, that old serpent, great dragon. For this world does NOT follow God, but the 'god of this world'. And the 'god of this world' has many 'angels' that do his bidding. I call them DEMONS.

So, WHO IS this 'god of this world'?

Blessings,

MEC

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
2 Corinthians 4:

4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Note the use of the SMALL 'g' in god. The 'god of THIS WORLD' is NOT the Father of Christ. The 'god of this world' is Satan, the devil, that old serpent, great dragon. For this world does NOT follow God, but the 'god of this world'. And the 'god of this world' has many 'angels' that do his bidding. I call them DEMONS.

Blessings,

MEC

Adam

*[[Isa 14:5-17]] RNKJV*
%v 5% יהוה hath broken the staff of the wicked, and the sceptre of the rulers.
%v 6% He who smote the people in wrath with a continual stroke, he that ruled the nations in anger, is persecuted, and none hindereth.
%v 7% The whole earth is at rest, and is quiet: they break forth into singing.
%v 8% Yea, the fir trees rejoice at thee, and the cedars of Lebanon, saying, Since thou art laid down, no feller is come up against us.
%v 9% Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations.
%v 10% All they shall speak and say unto thee, Art thou also become weak as we? art thou become like unto us?
%v 11% Thy pomp is brought down to the grave, and the noise of thy viols: the worm is spread under thee, and the worms cover thee.
%v 12% How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
%v 13% For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of El: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
%v 14% I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
%v 15% Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.
%v 16% They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms;
%v 17% That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners?

*[[Eze 28:12-19]] RNKJV*
%v 12% Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Sovereign יהוה; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.
%v 13% Thou hast been in Eden the garden of Elohim; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
%v 14% Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of Elohim; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
%v 15% Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.
%v 16% By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of Elohim: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.
%v 17% Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.
%v 18% Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.
%v 19% All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more.

*[[Luk 10:17-21]] RNKJV*
%v 17% And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Rabbi, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.
%v 18% And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
%v 19% Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
%v 20% Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.
%v 21% In that hour Yahushua rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Sovereign of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight

*[[Rev 12:3-4]] RNKJV* %v 3% And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.
%v 4% And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.

*[[Rev 12:7-9]] RNKJV*
%v 7% And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
%v 8% And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
%v 9% And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

*[[Gen 3:1]] RNKJV* Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which יהוה Elohim had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath Elohim said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

*[[Gen 3:14]] RNKJV* And יהוה Elohim said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

*[[Joh 8:44]] RNKJV* Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

*[[2Co 11:3]] RNKJV* But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in the Messiah.

*[[Jas 4:1-7]] RNKJV*
%v 1% From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?
%v 2% Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.
%v 3% Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.
%v 4% Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with יהוה? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of יהוה.
%v 5% Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?
%v 6% But he giveth more favour. Wherefore he saith, יהוה resisteth the proud, but giveth favour unto the humble.
%v 7% Submit yourselves therefore to יהוה. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

*[[Jas 1:14-15]] RNKJV*
%v 14% But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
%v 15% Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

*[[Mat 15:18-19]] RNKJV*
%v 18% But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
%v 19% For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

*[[1Pe 5:8-9]] RNKJV*
%v 8% Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
%v 9% Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

*[[1Jn 3:8]] RNKJV* He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of YHWH was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.

*[[Rev 20:10]] RNKJV* And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Lucifer had been a trusted administrator in the spiritual world in the line of authority under the Son of God. Satan was his assistant.

Lucifer fell in love with himself, lost faith in the unseen Father, rebelled against the paradise Son and lead the world into darkness and rebellion.

There is only one God, Satan never was nor could he ever be God of this world.

They are all gone now, Jesus terminated the rebellion while he was on the earth.

Reactions: James Is Back
Upvote 0

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Lucifer had been a trusted administrator in the spiritual world in the line of authority under the Son of God. Satan was his assistant.

Lucifer fell in love with himself, lost faith in the unseen Father, rebelled against the paradise Son and lead the world into darkness and rebellion.

There is only one God, Satan never was nor could he ever be God of this world.

They are all gone now, Jesus terminated the rebellion while he was on the earth.

Interesting....any scripture for any of that?

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
2 Corinthians 4:

Blessings,

MEC

Here is a clue for you: http://www.christianforums.com/t7847840/

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Most men think they are the gods of this world. Some may argue that's Satan's influence, but I'm not quick to judge it quite like that. We can be as much an enemy by shaking off God and corrupting ourselves by our own freedoms.

Upvote 0

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Most men think they are the gods of this world. Some may argue that's Satan's influence, but I'm not quick to judge it quite like that. We can be as much an enemy by shaking off God and corrupting ourselves by our own freedoms.

As stated satan is Adam so all men are believers in self...it is the dirrect oppisite of the church where the individual becomes one with the Father therby making himself one with all other believers
All come from Adam who elevated self...making themselves their focus therby being one with all men.....the scripture concludes two men those trusting in Adams way....and those trusting in Jesus way...
Satan is a title it means adversary....and scripture is clear that the works of the flesh come out of the flesh...our self born from Adam in the flesh...we are our adversary

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
2 Corinthians 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
Note the use of the SMALL 'g' in god. The 'god of THIS WORLD' is NOT the Father of Christ. The 'god of this world' is Satan, the devil, that old serpent, great dragon. For this world does NOT follow God, but the 'god of this world'. And the 'god of this world' has many 'angels' that do his bidding. I call them DEMONS. So, WHO IS this 'god of this world'? Blessings, MEC
Sorry to blow your theory, but The New Testament was written in all CAPS called Unicals.
A New Testament uncial is a section of the New Testament in Greek or Latin majuscule letters, written on parchment or vellum. This style of writing is called Biblical Uncial or Biblical Majuscule. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_Testament_uncials

Isaiah 6:9: Go and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not. MAKE the HEART of this PEOPLE FAT, and MAKE their EARS HEAVY, and SHUT their EYES; LEST they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, Matthew 13:14,15; ; Mark 4:12; ; John 12:40; and particularly Romans 11:8-10: God HATH GIVEN THEM THE SPIRIT of SLUMBER, EYES that they SHOULD not SEE, and EARS that they SHOULD not HEAR; let their EYES be DARKENED, in the same circumstances of willful rebellion and obstinate unbelief; and the great God of heaven and earth is he who judicially blinds their eyes; makes their hearts fat, i.e. stupid; gives them the spirit of slumber: and bows down their back,

apostle means the true GOD by the words the god of this world.
that by the God of this world the supreme Being is meant, who in his judgment gave over the minds of the unbelieving Jews to spiritual darkness, so that destruction came upon them to the uttermost of THIS WORLD, mean simply mankind at large in their state of probation in this lower world, in opposition to their state in the world to come.

The same meaning the word has in several other places, to which l need not refer; it simply implying the present state of things, governed by the Divine providence, in contradistinction from the eternal state: and it is very remarkable that, in 1 Timothy 1:17, God himself is called τω δε βασιλει των αιωνων, the King of the WORLD; what we call King eternal; but here it evidently means him who governs both worlds, and rules in time and eternity.

Some, and particularly the ancient fathers, have connected and have read the verse: But God hath blinded the minds of the unbelievers of this world, Theophylact, and Augustine, all plead for the above meaning; and St. Augustine says that it was the opinion of almost all the ancientsThe Adam Clarke Commentary
2 Corinthians 4 - Adam Clarke Commentary

This exact sense of the word diabolos, namely, as embracing the utterer of false accusation, develops the force of another passage in which Jesus, after being falsely-accused by the Jews, charges them:- Jno. 8v 44-“Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye do” -that is, you adopt the character of a false accuserin calumniating me: ye, as such, are the children of this state of mind.

You, in mind, are led away by the accursed disposition of falsely-accusing: ye are the children mentally of the false-accuser, and being so, your mental perceptions manifest their parentage. And the destructive character of this falsely-accusing state of mind, of this slaying by calumny all that is excellent, of this giving false views of the character of God, is exhibited by the passage in question;

Jno. 8v 44 - “He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because truth is not in him: when he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar and the father of it.” So that when the mind is in this state, truth is not present: it is banished: the mind generates lies: it murders truth. This selfish state slays the man, defacing the likeness-to-God state: and this, from the very first, when it gained the mastery.

Another passage in the Common Version in which the phrase “the devil” occurs would be beautifully expressive, truly natural, if rendered according to the proper interpretation, “false-accuser.” Paul is recommending the Ephesians to perform all
the social duties in such a way as to give no cause of complaint to any one, not even the most captious; to those anxiously looking for opportunities to charge them with offences:

Eph. 4v 27-”Neither give place to the false accuser” (tou diabolou) - that is, give no opportunity to any one who would be glad to charge you with offences against the law. And that Paul refers to a human, and not to an invisible, enemy, is proved by the context, where offences are referred to that are objects of notice by the civil magistrate before whom the false-accuser, but not the “devil,” would be happy to have the opportunity of taking the believer: “Let him that stole steal no more; but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.”

Another passage in which the word diabolos in the Common Version, rendered “the devil,” would, if rendered “false accuser,” exhibit the sense in its beautiful simplicity, is, “And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write: These things saith the first and the last, which was dead and is alive; I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty (but thou art rich), and the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan. Fear none of those thinks which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried: and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life,” Rev. 2v 8, 9, 10.

It is quite certain that the “devil,” an invisible agent, could not cast them (that is, human bodies) into prison, but a diabolos, a false-accuser, by branding them with charges before a civil magistrate, might obtain their committal: and that such a false-accuser, or such false-accusers, are human beings, is proved by the preceding verse, wherein they are described as “Jews, and are not, but are the Synagogue, or the assembly, of the adversary” (tou Satanas - the Translators have left out the tou “thee,” which is before “Satan,” which latter means adversary).

The passage, therefore, will appear in its clearness when the word diabolos is rendered according to its simple meaning. “Fear none of these things, which thou shalt suffer: behold, the false-accuser shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried.”
The Devil, A Biblical Exposition

Reactions: ron4shua
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vanguard PCD

Progressive Christian Deist
Jan 27, 2013
Alabama, USA
✟16,492.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
who or what is the Devil, Satan, that old serpent, the great dragon?

Devil: comes from the Greek diabolos, which means slanderer or accuser.

Satan: a Hebrew term that means adversary or accuser.

Right there you can see the connection in the term accuser. That is basic linguistics between Hebrew and Greek. The terms are used interchangeably. Modern translations change the verse to read "Devil or Satan" instead of "Devil and Satan."

That old serpent: a reference to the serpent in Genesis. However, a close look at Genesis will show that no where is it indicated that the serpent is Satan. God changed the serpent's form into what is commonly viewed as a snake, given the description.

The great dragon: for starters, the verses in Revelation used to describe the dragon are symbolic. The Hebrew term is nachash, which simply means serpent. Once again, you have a pairing of Hebrew and Greek terms that mean the same thing. What exactly is meant by the dragon with its 7 heads and 10 horns is subject to debate, but many think it refers to the Roman Empire.

Summary:
Devil and satan = accuser
Serpent and dragon = nachash (Hebrew for serpent) while the dragon is also symbolic

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Interesting....any scripture for any of that?

Some of it is common sense, Lucifer was obedient before he fell, he couldn't fool the whole world unless he had the power and position to do it.

There is only one God and it's not Satan.

But some of the other revelation comes from the Urantia book that happened in the early 1900's

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Devil: comes from the Greek diabolos, which means slanderer or accuser.

Satan: a Hebrew term that means adversary or accuser.

Right there you can see the connection in the term accuser. That is basic linguistics between Hebrew and Greek. The terms are used interchangeably. Modern translations change the verse to read "Devil or Satan" instead of "Devil and Satan."

That old serpent: a reference to the serpent in Genesis. However, a close look at Genesis will show that no where is it indicated that the serpent is Satan. God changed the serpent's form into what is commonly viewed as a snake, given the description.

The great dragon: for starters, the verses in Revelation used to describe the dragon are symbolic. The Hebrew term is nachash, which simply means serpent. Once again, you have a pairing of Hebrew and Greek terms that mean the same thing. What exactly is meant by the dragon with its 7 heads and 10 horns is subject to debate, but many think it refers to the Roman Empire.

Summary:
Devil and satan = accuser
Serpent and dragon = nachash (Hebrew for serpent) while the dragon is also symbolic

If Satan wasn't a personality reality as depicted in a number of places in the Bible, then it's the Bible that has mislead people to think that he was.

Upvote 0

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Some of it is common sense, Lucifer was obedient before he fell, he couldn't fool the whole world unless he had the power and position to do it.

But some of the other revelation comes from the Urantia book that happened in the early 1900's

As to your first point sounds like Adam....as to the other I would have to google that

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The crafty beast wasn't Adam, God punished each one separately. Nowhere in any bible books is Satan or the devil called Adam.

One these "names" are actualy description titles and there are places where we are adressed with these titles...."you are of your Father the devil"...."get thee behind me satan"...."whoever walks in sin is of the devil"....pretty sure I gave several such scriptures at the beggining of the thread....this is what is called the mystery of iniquity....
Now the serpent is a little differant....as Jesus obediance made him the lamb of God....So Adams iniquity made him the serpent.....on your belly you shall go/their belly is their God.....you shall eat the dust/do not store up treasures on earth.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
One these "names" are actualy description titles and there are places where we are adressed with these titles...."you are of your Father the devil"...."get thee behind me satan"...."whoever walks in sin is of the devil"....pretty sure I gave several such scriptures at the beggining of the thread....this is what is called the mystery of iniquity....
Now the serpent is a little differant....as Jesus obediance made him the lamb of God....So Adams iniquity made him the serpent.....on your belly you shall go/their belly is their God.....you shall eat the dust/do not store up treasures on earth.

That doesn't work, the devil came to talk with Adam and Eve.

Upvote 0

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
That doesn't work, the devil came to talk with Adam and Eve.

No the scripture doesnt say that....but at times the lamb is spoken to directly or described directly without being called by name in the same way the serpent is Adam tempting Eve to eat just in case she would realy die....he was a murderer from the beggining

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Colter said:

So, no. No scripture. OK

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
No the scripture doesnt say that....but at times the lamb is spoken to directly or described directly without being called by name in the same way the serpent is Adam tempting Eve to eat just in case she would realy die....he was a murderer from the beggining

It's ok to write your own story but that's not what Genesis says. Besides, there was already man on earth, Cain was afraid of the tribes outside of the garden, but he would eventually leave and find his wife in Nod where he built a city. Death for man was normal, it was Adam and Eve that lost their immortality.

Upvote 0