Northern Alberta Ca.
✟8,087.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
We all have someone in the bible that strikes a particular cord with us. Whether it be Moses, Abraham, Jacob, Noah, Peter and on and on etc...

I have two biblical characters that I especially relate to. The first will make perfect sense to you. The other, not so much. Might even raise an eybrow or two. I may or may not post both of these characters on one post. If however me wife calls me for supper I will post one now and one another time.(soon).

Now, my first character is the apostle Paul. For many this makes perfect sense. The reason for my affection for Paul however is not because he dominates the new testament. Not because he was Jesus champion converted from "church enemy" and violent persecuter. I relate to Paul because of his down to earth Humanity.
Let's face it. We all like the hero's of old. Noah, Moses, Abraham, Issac, Jacob, Job, David, and yes Jesus. Others like Solomon fail to reach my Hero funny bone. Now Paul is a classic hero. He was on fire for Christ. He dedicated his entire life and soul for the cause. He was forever a leader of men. He garnered respect even from his enemies. (read Acts 26) He died for his faith. However unlike the afore mentioned hero's of old, I could envision myself in Pauls shoes. This does not meen I think I am like him now, rather I feel his character is attainable. Let's face it. I can't see myself as a Moses or an Abraham. They just seem bigger than life. Paul however, portrays a human factor more recognizable to someone like myself.
As supper is almost ready I will forgo searching scriptures. Instead I will rely on case identification like so.
Do you remember when Paul chastised and put Peter in his place. Hold up here! Paul did what? Peter is the head of the church body. Jesus put him in the lead position and Paul had to straighten him out? Yes, infact he did. This may not sound like a revelation in humanity...Well just picture the conversation. Think about how it would have transpired. I don't think Peter stood there and took it with a big "yes sir" at he end. I emagine a little heat transpired.
Likewise, I imagine the fight between Barnabas and Paul over whether to take Mark on a missions trip was rather heated. Infact, Acts 15:39 says "it was such a sharp disagreement that they parted company." I have to say, I find fault in Pauls unwillingness to give a fellow follower a second chance. Barnabas did.
There has been other mentions of Pauls temper. Now why do I find that a redeaming quality? The anwer is, I don't. However as one who has a temper I find it a quality I can relate to. 2Cor 12:7 says that he was given a thorn in his flesh. We do not know what the thorn is but I am positive it is a sin of some kind. Others have surmised that it is his failing eye sight. I reject this theory on the bases that when he prayed for its removal the Lord said, "My grace is sufficient for you". You do not need grace for poor eyesight. Grace is an undeserved pardon and a pardon is not needed for such a thing. I also feel, the reason the thorn is not identified is so that we (you and me) could substitute our own individual sins in its stead. His weakness gives him a more humane feel and yet there is no denying that Paul was a hero. Right up to his death. He ran the good race 2Tim. 4:7-8, His reward is asured. I love this guy cause if he can do it, I can. It's obvious God can overlook every sin. Even when the sin is not recognized in ourselves. Paul, I am sure, did not recognize his unforgiving attitude when confronting Barnabas and Mark. And yes, God probably hadn't intended Mark or Barnabas accompany Paul that trip. Using our sin for His own end is something our wonderful God is very adept at.

Yes, supper is ready. Later I will tell you why I relate sooo strongly to Esau, brother of Jacob. Father of the Caananites.
God Bless...MIKE

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I agree with your selection, other than the Lord of course. Paul set the bar high for evangelism! For having to walk or sail everywhere, Paul really traveled tremendous distances to spread the Gospel.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Other than Jesus Himself (who really should go without saying), my favorite is the Apostle John. He seems best to have understood that the message of Christ was all about forming loving relationships with other people. And for that love, he suffered tortures which were as bad as those by which the other Apostles were martyred, though he did not die of them.

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
I like John for his closeness with the Lord, and as MacFall said, his understanding of Jesus' message of love and the goodness of God. :)

David is to be commended for his love and devotion to God, as he was called a man after God's own heart, which is great.

I also admire Abraham's example of great faith - trusting God to do the impossible. That is a great example for us all to follow in our walks with God.

I can also relate somewhat to Joseph, from his slightly arrogant attitude which got him sold into slavery, to God prospering wherever he went as he was elevated in secular society, to his knowledge and interpretation of dreams and for his forgiving spirit. Of all the Bible characters, aside from Apostle John, I relate most to Joseph. :)

None of the other characters relate to me at all though. lol

Upvote 0
S

Spock49

I am fascinated with Abraham. Unlike the OP's "bigger than life" description, I have a different perception of Abraham. Abraham was a major mess. If he has born post law, he surely would have been stoned to death for marrying his sister. It is amazing the terrible things that he did (such as giving his wife to Pharoah and Abimelech to save his own skin) that God overlooked or just didn't take into account simply because Abraham trusted what God said to him.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love Esther's fearlessness and obedience. "If I die, I die". I mean, seriously, who nowadays has that kind of guts?

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. Fearlessness again. Absolutely obedience. I LOVE that. The whole "You don't scare me, death doesn't scare me, I'm gonna be true to God, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it" attitude, totally rocks.

Daniel. Same as the above two!

Last, I'll say James. His "quit whining, suck it up, learn your lessons, and grow up!" way of speaking is beyond awesome. He leaves no room for excuses, but he isn't harsh or condescending. Every excuse a Christian can typically come up with for NOT doing what they're supposed to is addressed and refuted so beautifully. Rock on, James.

Upvote 0
S

Spock49

I love Esther's fearlessness and obedience. "If I die, I die". I mean, seriously, who nowadays has that kind of guts?

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. Fearlessness again. Absolutely obedience. I LOVE that. The whole "You don't scare me, death doesn't scare me, I'm gonna be true to God, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it" attitude, totally rocks.

Daniel. Same as the above two!

Last, I'll say James. His "quit whining, suck it up, learn your lessons, and grow up!" way of speaking is beyond awesome. He leaves no room for excuses, but he isn't harsh or condescending. Every excuse a Christian can typically come up with for NOT doing what they're supposed to is addressed and refuted so beautifully. Rock on, James.

That is the very reason that I love the book of James. No excuses! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

40creek

And This Happened How?
Mar 5, 2011
Northern Alberta Ca.
✟8,087.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Than Jesus LOL. Yes He is a natural choice. How do you say you like someone better than him?:thumbsup:

Now I promised to tell you all why Esau is choice number 2.
Ok, so I should have said, Other
First who is Esau? To answer this question we go back to Abraham.
God made a covenant with Abraham. This covenant carried down the lineage of Abraham to the time of Christ. However it did not follow the path of all his decendants. "Abraham begat Issac, Issac begat Jacob, Jacob begat Judah and his brothers". Lets stop there. This quote can be found in Mathew chapter 1. Why does it include the word "Brothers" following Jacob? Did Issac not have other sons? Silly question. Of course you all know the story of the twins.
Born to Issac where twins Esau first followed by Jacob. According to law Esau was the child who would recieve Isaacs blessing as well as birthright(decendancy of the Covenant). To speed things up Jacob bought the birthright from Esau when Esau was near death from hunger. Jacob fed him only if Esau gave up this birthright. Jacob then stole the blessing through deception (Gen.27). Esau was rightfully angry at Jacob so Jacob fled for a time. Esau begged his father Isaac for any blessing he may give and he was indeed given one. If you could call it a blessing. To Esau it must have looked more like a curse than blessing for it went as follows.

"Your dwelling will be away from the earth's richness, away from the dew of heaven above.
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother.
But when you grow restless, you will throw his yoke from off your neck."

Esau became powerfull in Jacobs absence thus, when Jacob returned, also a wealthy man he was confronted with Esau and 400 men. Jacob was afraid. Remember how Jacob treated Esau? Jacob thought the end was near for sure. However, instead of attacking his brother Esau ran ahead and gave Jacob a bear hug, kissed him and wept. At this point I can't help admiring Esau and being just a little upset with Jacob but this is not why I relate to Esau so much. I will not get into the decendancy of Esau but I will say Esau himself never became slave to his brother Jacob. Infact he had a huge family, lived in a grand land, and prospered so much so that he built an entire kingdom. His people where the Edomites and his kingdom was Edom. Infact Edom prospered for generations after Esau disapeared so where did the blessing/curse go? Did it fail?

No more stories now. As the covenant made between Abraham and God passed by Esau and went through Jacob so did the division of Israel from the gentiles. Jacob is the father of the blessing. The father of Israel. Gods chosen people. The line from which Jesus Christ came.

Esau was the father of the gentiles. Not that all gentiles decended from him alone but rather, he was the template for which they where blessed and cursed. Israel was given the land of milk and honey. Gods chosen land. The gentiles where driven out, seperated from God and at the blessed mercy of Israel under Gods leadership.
How does that make Esau special to me? It's this way. Through the curse handed down to Esau a curse was handed down to all gentiles, of which I am one. Without the blessing I would not have had the oportunity to write to you all today. You see, the last part of the blessing handed down went as follows again. "But when you grow restless, you will throw his yoke from off your back." Esau never had such a yoke. He lived where he wanted, how he wanted. We can only conclude then that the blessing was infact a prophesy. By now you have figured out who the prophesy was for. The gentile nations of the world. You see, we were under this yoke. We have Esau as our father. It is in his blessing that we are made free. When Christ died on that cross at Calvery the yoke that enslaved us was torn loose and Esau became a free man Gal.5:1. A decendant of Abraham under the same covenant. A new covenant Heb. 8.

So you see. Through the blessing given to Esau I have my salvation in Christ. Esau who we know God hated(defined:loved less), therefore we felt also that we should also hate him. Remember, as gentiles God also hated us. Now you know the rest of the story;) God Bless and take care. MIKE

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
David. He went through the gamut of falling, tripping-up, sinning, and poured his whole heart out to God, the good, the bad, the oooogly, and God, in His infinite wisdom, mercy, and grace, called David, the "apple of His eye".

Here, we see the bottom line, being, that David, in spite of ev'rything, loved God with all his heart, mind, heart, and might.

Upvote 0