Jan 20, 2013
✟96,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I was told Moss' also believes in the esoteric and heretical concept of Bible Codes. Dr. Mike Heiser (Ph.D in Hebrew and Semitic languages) has written against the Bible Codes, as have other scholars. I was also told Moss' believes that marital sex may help unite a person to God, or help one experience God, or something along those lines. This idea is Gnostic. Dr. Heiser briefly touches on this topic in his six hour video on Gnosticism.

Are you able to cite where Vladimir Moss discussed his belief in bible codes? And his beliefs regarding someone experiencing God and/or uniting to God through marital sex? I know you said you only were told that Moss believes in this stuff but honestly I think the person who told you these things was most likely mistaken.

Upvote 0
E

Euthymios

Are you able to cite where Vladimir Moss discussed his belief in bible codes? And his beliefs regarding someone experiencing God and/or uniting to God through marital sex? I know you said you only were told that Moss believes in this stuff but honestly I think the person who told you these things was most likely mistaken.

Someone who has corresponded with Moss told me this. I will not give his name, because I wish to conceal his identity. Why don't you ask Moss yourself. Maybe he will tell the truth. Old calendarists lie so much, so it's difficult to know.

Upvote 0
E

Euthymios

CRITICISM OF THE RTOC

Official ROCOR Synod statement concerning the RTOC
The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia - Official Website

True Orthodoxy or Arrogation?
The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia - Official Website

Those presently claiming to be Catacomb bishops have very questionable backgrounds. Fr. Michael Protopopov provides some good background information on these groups here:
"The Russian True Orthodox Church"

Voices of Reason
Voices of Reason: Responses in Support of the Synod of Bishops to those who are creating a Schism

CONCLUSION AND WARNING: THE RTOC IS SCHISMATIC

Saint Ignatius of Antioch said: "Make no mistake, brethren, no one who follows another into schism will inherit the Kingdom of God, no one who follows heretical doctrines is on the side of the Passion."

Saint Ignatius teaches that there is no sin worse than the sin of division in the Church, and that not even the blood of martyrdom will wash it away.

Saint John Chrysostom writes: "I do say and affirm that schism is just as terrible an evil as heresy."

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I was told Moss' also believes in the esoteric and heretical concept of Bible Codes. Dr. Mike Heiser (Ph.D in Hebrew and Semitic languages) has written against the Bible Codes, as have other scholars. I was also told Moss' believes that marital sex may help unite a person to God, or help one experience God, or something along those lines. This idea is Gnostic. Dr. Heiser briefly touches on this topic in his six hour video on Gnosticism.

Keeping up with Dr. Heiser for a couple of years now, I've been very thankful for the work of Dr. Heiser on the issue, as it was very beneficial to see him address the issue of the Gnostics and how that's connected to the Bible Code dynamic (even though not all things labeled "Gnostic" were automatically condemned within the Early Church - for the history of Christianity in Egypt, in example, can't be understood without mentioning the Egyptian Gnostics, concentrated in Upper Egypt and made popular by discoveries in Nag Hammadi...when studying the history of the Church of Alexandria, it is interesting to consider that there are perfect Orthodox Christian forms of ‘gnosticism’.).

Indeed, Dr. Heiser does amazing work on the issue and it is a blessing to see him seeking to tackle the issue - more in Gnosticism | Dr. Michael S. Heiser or the videos he has done on the subject:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
E

Euthymios

Vladimir Moss was very kind and helpful, but he had a complete "About-face" when I told him that RTOC priest, Father Vladimir Mordvinkin suggested to me that I attend Saint Herman's Monastery (Serbian Patriarchate) for the sacraments. First, Father Vladimir pointed me to another RTOC parish, but I didn't go for personal reasons. And then he pointed me to the Serbian Patriarchate. His having suggested I go to the Serbs, is a total contradiction and violation of "TOC" and "RTOC" ecclesiology, since they claim to believe the "SP" is heretical and apostate. When I told Vladimir Moss about this, he asked if I was sure Father Vladimir was in the RTOC under Bishop Stefan (there is more than one RTOC jurisdiction) and I said "yes," and even gave him a copy of Father Vladimir's email to me. Vladimir Moss never bothered to level with me, by admitting that Father Vladimir made a mistake. Nor did Vladimir Moss ever apologize. He totally left me hanging, and performed an "About-face." This is what you see in political ideological cults, not the Orthodox Church. These people are politicians, not real Orthodox Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well I have to say it is very timely that this post happened to be at the top.

I was just referred to Vladimir Moss on something I had asked a question about. The articles were lengthy (I will post links to them below). But when I looked them over, it seems everything he is refuting in regards to soteriology and hell are things I have been told are Orthodox doctrine (with the exception that I know the Rivers of Fire are problematic). Or maybe it's just the parts I read, skimming.

Anyway, within 5 minutes I saw too many red flags, and I didn't read more. I'm still sorting out who teaches what, and I don't wish to confuse myself. He didn't "feel right". I decided to put it aside until I could get some guidance I could trust.

Seems I will just put it aside for good.

These were the articles:

The New Soteriology

Is hell just?

I see this is a resurrected thread too, so I'm doubly glad it found its way to the top. Thanks to all who have provided warnings here.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if he is wrong on the new soteriology and Hell. I just don't recommend his polemical works and subjects dealing with history and jurisdictions. I don't think he is entirely honest, and I have lost all trust in him. However, I do agree with what he says about Roman Catholicism.

Yes, I am not sure what to think about either Moss, or those particular writings.

What I do know, is what he speaks against is what many Orthodox have told me. I'm going to wait until I can ask Father M. about it.

I was told to be wary of his teachings in general, but in trying to find out what the Orthodox church teaches, I'm not sure enough of things yet to wade into mixed approved and heretical teachings.

I was thankful to find some information here.

And generally speaking, I don't usually read teachers who prove themselves untrustworthy in either their personal lives or teachings, when I'm aware of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Euthymios, you seem to draw your Orthodoxy from outside mainstream sources. Do you read any current works from the likes of Bishop Kallistos Ware, Fr. Anthony Coniaris, Fr. Lawrence Farley etc.? I consider sources like Moss or Patrick Barnes to be legitimate and yet I avoid them. While I would consider my preferences to the examples I mentioned strongly, I must respect other Orthodox people who choose different.

Anyway, you seem to be having a lot of anxiety from certain expressions of Orthodoxy. Perhaps more mainstream Orthodox expression would be healthier to your faith. Please take what I say as just a suggestion; it is not intended as a criticism.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
FWIW, i think Moss has many good things to say about the new soteriology and Hell.

When you say "new" soteriology, you're meaning things like River of Fire (which I've not read about) and the idea of hell merely being a lack of tolerance for God's glory by the wicked?

I'm just confused. I skimmed his work a bit, and he seemed to speak against those. However if they are just "new ideas" that ought to be appropriate.

Fr. M spoke briefly on "hell" in one of the classes I attended. Very briefly. But now that I think about what he said, it seemed to imply a more "traditional" (to my mind) interpretation of hell, as a separate place possibly. I'm just not sure. He spoke of a "foretaste" experienced upon death but stated that Judgement was not until the end, which seems Scriptural to me.

Right now I am quite frankly confused about just what the Orthodox Church teaches on hell and soteriology, and I have decided to make sure of that, if I can, before I start considering it further.

Just seems no point to me examining and considering teachings that may not even be legitimate teachings, when I don't have a set belief either. It seems potentially confusing.

Not sure why this particular topic seems to be so confused - and why I'm hearing such diverse opinions.

Upvote 0

buzuxi

Nov 25, 2003
Visit site
✟2,265.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Its simply the mechanics of it, no big deal to me. Its like those that argue whether at the second coming the earth will be renewed, or done away with, or replaced with a new one.

The teaching of the Church is that we recieve a foretaste of what is to come but do not enter into the fullness of either bliss or punishments until the final judgement.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Its simply the mechanics of it, no big deal to me. Its like those that argue whether at the second coming the earth will be renewed, or done away with, or replaced with a new one.

The teaching of the Church is that we recieve a foretaste of what is to come but do not enter into the fullness of either bliss or punishments until the final judgement.

Thank you

If that is the extent of the Orthodox church's teaching, then I actually did understand and remember what Fr. M said. He also mentioned toll houses briefly, but only to explain the idea and to say that it was controversial and he was not teaching it as a doctrine.

I think I'm actually more comfortable not speculating dogmatically. There was a time when such "uncertainty" would have bothered me, but tbh I've been in different positions, arguing different doctrines, and each time I eventually arrived at a point that, honestly, made me uncomfortable, because it leads into speculating or saying something that implies further things I'm not necessarily comfortable with.

Thank you again.

Upvote 0