Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You mean head coverings? In my Catholic church, there is one family that covers, a mother and her seven daughters. Other than them, I can't recall seeing anyone else cover in real life, at either Catholic or Protestant churches.

Upvote 0

RenJac

May 1, 2010
U.S.A
✟7,758.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You mean head coverings? In my Catholic church, there is one family that covers, a mother and her seven daughters. Other than them, I can't recall seeing anyone else cover in real life, at either Catholic or Protestant churches.
I cover all the time :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diakoneo10

V.: to serve, attend, or wait upon
Oct 15, 2012
East Tennessee
✟7,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
OzSpen said:
What are your biblical reasons for doing that?

Oz

There are passages in 1st Corinthians and well as in the OT concerning head covering and headship. (Sorry I am terrible at giving exact addresses and my Bible isn't with me at this time. ) But one of the verses I really felt drawn to on the subject was "Be not conformed to this world but be transformed...." Women used to always cover in church (no matter denomination) until the 50's when it became unfashionable. Now our culture doesn't accept that as normal so it makes us stand out as followers. It holds us accountable to God and others because we are literally wearing a statement which says we are different from mainstream society.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,534.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There are passages in 1st Corinthians and well as in the OT concerning head covering and headship. (Sorry I am terrible at giving exact addresses and my Bible isn't with me at this time. ) But one of the verses I really felt drawn to on the subject was "Be not conformed to this world but be transformed...." Women used to always cover in church (no matter denomination) until the 50's when it became unfashionable. Now our culture doesn't accept that as normal so it makes us stand out as followers. It holds us accountable to God and others because we are literally wearing a statement which says we are different from mainstream society.
Which is in direct contrast to the Lord's teaching of not practicing your religion to be seen of men. Matt. 6:1-6

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
You say that to go without a head covering would be to be conformed to this world. However, I note that you use a computer by coming onto this Forum. Why is that not worldly? Could it be worldly to use a motor car and not a horse and buggy. I'm a graduate of Ashland Theological Seminary, Ashland, OH. That is an old order Amish community. They consider it worldly to use tractors, trucks, cars and electricity. Why are you choosing a head covering as a primary example of not being worldy and not these other things?

You are possibly thinking of these verses re head covering in the NT:
1 Corinthians 11:2-16

English Standard Version (ESV)

Head Coverings

2 Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you. 3 But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife[a] is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, 5 but every wife[b] who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since it is the same as if her head were shaven. 6 For if a wife will not cover her head, then she should cut her hair short. But since it is disgraceful for a wife to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her head. 7 For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. 9 Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10 That is why a wife ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.[c] 11 Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man nor man of woman; 12 for as woman was made from man, so man is now born of woman. And all things are from God. 13 Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a wife to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him, 15 but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering. 16 If anyone is inclined to be contentious, we have no such practice, nor do the churches of God.
Footnotes:
  1. 1 Corinthians 11:3 Greek gunē. This term may refer to a woman or a wife, depending on the context
  2. 1 Corinthians 11:5 In verses 5–13, the Greek word gunē is translated wife in verses that deal with wearing a veil, a sign of being married in first-century culture
  3. 1 Corinthians 11:10 Or messengers, that is, people sent to observe and report
Perhaps it would be an interesting discussion on CF to ask why many women in the church do not choose to wear a material or ornamental head covering any longer.

As a started to this discussion, we need to understand that there have been different dress codes adopted within various cultures through various centuries. What was happening at Corinth to which this Pauline letter was written?

The city was a mixed population of Greeks, Romans, Jews and some from other nations. So, when Paul was discussing hair styles for men and women and head coverings, he was telling his Christian readers to use Christian practices in a world that was pagan. Paul was not being a 21st century contemporary egalitarian with the blurring of the genders. He wanted the Corinthian Christians to tell the pagan culture, in a visible way, that there was a distinction between men and women.

Now, that's not a very popular message where I live in 21st century Australia, but it was important to Paul in Corinth in the first century. It was an especially meaningful cultural issue for a woman to have a covering in Corinth.

However, we also need to understand what Paul included in the meaning of covering according to 1 Cor. 11:15,
But if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering (ESV).
So, in that culture, a woman's long her is given to her for a covering. Why the need for a further covering if a woman's long hair is her covering? Could it be that a material covering is not necessary with this teaching from 1 Cor 11:15?

Sincerely, Oz

Upvote 0

RenJac

May 1, 2010
U.S.A
✟7,758.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Bible talks about this in 1 Cor. 11, where it uses nature as a parenthetical example as to why women should wear headcoverings. Just like in the natural, the woman should have long hair, so as a symbol for the spiritual, she is to also wear a head covering. So, Scripturally speaking, the Bible tells us that women should both have long hair, and wear a head covering - 1 Corinthians 11.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Diakoneo10

V.: to serve, attend, or wait upon
Oct 15, 2012
East Tennessee
✟7,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
::Gets on her soap box:: :preach:

Actually both of us who stated we did cover on this thread are completely alone in our decision to cover and therefore not following tradition or man-made statements. We felt led to do so by God and our reasons are just that- our reasons. You may also notice that she did not post requesting opinions, theology, or doctrine concerning the practice. She simply asked who also covered. If you do not agree that is fine, but this was not a thread placed up for debate. As far as I'm concerned- that should be the end of it. To discuss and ask why we practice something is one thing... to blatantly tell us we are wrong and try to convert us to your way of thinking is completely against the spirit of the OP. Kindly take your arguments elsewhere. We are following God's will in our lives and we don't need your help to do so.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
::Gets on her soap box:: :preach:

Actually both of us who stated we did cover on this thread are completely alone in our decision to cover and therefore not following tradition or man-made statements. We felt led to do so by God and our reasons are just that- our reasons. You may also notice that she did not post requesting opinions, theology, or doctrine concerning the practice. She simply asked who also covered. If you do not agree that is fine, but this was not a thread placed up for debate. As far as I'm concerned- that should be the end of it. To discuss and ask why we practice something is one thing... to blatantly tell us we are wrong and try to convert us to your way of thinking is completely against the spirit of the OP. Kindly take your arguments elsewhere. We are following God's will in our lives and we don't need your help to do so.

Well said.:amen: I wanted to join in and defend your position, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that here. However, I take extreme issue with the poster who said that those who cover don't know the Bible. How presumptuous.

This is for you::crosseo:

Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I think that by wearing the covering you are doing the exact opposite of what Jesus did. But if you feel called to that then so be it but I would really pray for cultural conviction and I wouldn't use scripture as your reasoning for practicing this. Because in scripture it is talking about using the covering in their culture to show if they are married or not. In a society that does not use coverings for that purpose a wedding band or another symbol of married is fine.

My Bible study notes on that passage...

1 Cor. 11:5–6 head uncovered. A married woman who uncovered her head in public would have brought shame to her husband. The action may have connoted sexual availability or may simply have been a sign of being unmarried. In cultures where women’s head coverings are not a sign of being married, wives do not need to cover their heads in worship, but they could obey this command by wearing some other physical symbol of being married (such as a wedding ring). While a shaven head or short hair was considered shameful for a woman in first-century Corinth, long hair was considered to be a woman’s “glory”

Last edited:
Upvote 0