Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Christians are peacemakers and do not kill each other in wars. Some people go in the military but many are brainwashed into it. Sorry, the sad fact is many mistakenly believe they are doing God a service when they are not. And yes I would tell people that.

Yes scripture is clear that Judas was not baptised..and while his motives were not clear why not...Jesus said he was the son of perdition and actually did imply he was condemned. It wasnt cos he wasnt baptised it was because he didnt believe. However Jesus made the point that Judas wasnt clean.

If you are baptised it follows that you believe because baptism is actually for believers. Thats why all believers went and got baptised as soon as they repented. Baptism DOES prepare the way otherwise John the baptist would have been crying in the wilderness in vain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Of course many people do become christians after they have fought in wars this not to say nobody in the military are christians. There are peacekeeping missions and defence, but also concientious objectors who were actually mostly christians...Jesus said the weapons of our warfare are NOT carnal. And his disciples didnt fight flesh and blood because his Kingdom was not an earthly kingdom.

Which brings me to the salvation army.....is this a christian military? Dont mix up a nations govt rhetoric with God. We are citizens of heaven first not earthly nations.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Christians are peacemakers and do not kill each other in wars. Some people go in the military but many are brainwashed into it. Sorry, the sad fact is many mistakenly believe they are doing God a service when they are not. And yes I would tell people that.

Again, a great many of those in our military are Christians. In any event, what you are saying has nothing to do with my earlier example of a dying soldier accepting Christ on the battlefield but not being baptized. The Bible says that we should be baptized but it does not say that we must be baptized to be saved.

Yes scripture is clear that Judas was not baptised..and while his motives were not clear why not...Jesus said he was the son of perdition and actually did imply he was condemned. It wasnt cos he wasnt baptised it was because he didnt believe.

You are changing what you are saying, because you earlier said "and Jesus DID turn Judas away, because Judas chose NOT to be baptised."

If you are baptised it follows that you believe because baptism is actually for believers. Thats why all believers went and got baptised as soon as they repented. Baptism DOES prepare the way otherwise John the baptist would have been crying in the wilderness in vain.

And, again, most Christian churches practice infant baptism.

BTW, not sure where you are posting from but in American usage baptize and baptized are spelled with a z not an s. Baptism is spelled with an s.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The bible says its improtant to be baptised,without it, you have no holy spirit.

Read acts 19
Also Hebrews 6

You keep repeating the same thing over and over but I never said anything about the scriputre you keep twisting. I do not mean what you keep implying. Your posting is a bit pointless.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The bible says its improtant to be baptised,without it, you have no holy spirit.

Read acts 19
Also Hebrews 6

You keep repeating the same thing over and over but I never said anything about the scriputre you keep twisting. I do not mean what you keep implying. Your posting is a bit pointless.
To whom are you replying?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Archivist are you baptised? If yes then why are you arguing? Arent you being a bit pointless...you believe, so you got baptised right?

If you didnt get baptised then why not?
Im asking you.

I was baptized as an infant.

And I'm not the one arguing--you challenged my earlier post in which I simply stated that while we should be baptized, Scripture makes it clear that baptism is not a requirement for salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,647.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Yes scripture is clear that Judas was not baptised..and while his motives were not clear why not...Jesus said he was the son of perdition and actually did imply he was condemned. It wasnt cos he wasnt baptised it was because he didnt believe. However Jesus made the point that Judas wasnt clean.

Scripture talks about "all" going out to be baptized by John the Baptist (or one of his disciples) with "all" most likely meaning the masses, yet all (meaning the masses) were shouting crucify him later on, so are you saying the act of John's baptism changed the person's free will?

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟60,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
and thinks they are christian?

Can you truly be a christian without being baptised? It seems to me many people would LIKE to be but they arent baptised for some strange reason. Why not?

If you havent experienced baptism, what is your reasoning?

Good question tbh I am curioius as the same.

The bible says they that believe and are baptized are saved.

Jesus also says verly verly i say unto thee accept ye be born of water and spirit ye cannot enter the kingdom of heaven.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Scripture talks about "all" going out to be baptized by John the Baptist (or one of his disciples) with "all" most likely meaning the masses, yet all (meaning the masses) were shouting crucify him later on, so are you saying the act of John's baptism changed the person's free will?
no..never said that.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Good question tbh I am curioius as the same.

The bible says they that believe and are baptized are saved.

Jesus also says verly verly i say unto thee accept ye be born of water and spirit ye cannot enter the kingdom of heaven.
Yes true he specifically said water..and even in book of Revelation he was talking about those who've washed their robes...

I remember my baptism, it was in dirty jeans. After I came out of the water was sopping wet, got changed into fresh clean clothes. :)

• Agree
Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It does seem many people downplay the significance of baptism for believers which makes me think they either don't think it was important or don't even remember it.

But for a christian its very important step a believer takes. God impressed on me it was so important I obey him that even though it took me a while to be baptised after I repented and believed, He didn't give me a peace that I was truly born again until I obeyed Him in this area.

And no church was pressing me to be baptised...I even got baptised at a different church that happened to be baptising...that I didn't even attend regularly. So nobody was forcing me and it wasn't a ritual/religious requirement as such it was really God commanding me..and I really did feel fresh and born again afterward. I knew in my heart salvation was secure and that He wouldn't let me go. Cos I was immersed in His love.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I guess in some churches, like the anglicans- they call it 'confirmation' and even though its tied to the way they do things why they call it 'confirmation' is because once you are baptised you have become part of the church - in the body of Christ as such.

But you don't need to be baptised in a church ceremony it can be anywhere..heard of people being baptised in the nearest river, in garbage cans in jail, in a bathtub, in the sea even.

Upvote 0

FaithfulPilgrim

Eternally Seeking
Feb 8, 2015
South Carolina
✟39,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I may or may not count. I was baptized at 16 even though I was raised Christian and always believed it since I was first taught it. However, I didn't surrender my life to Christ until I was 18. I did respond to an altar call when I was 9, though.

Upvote 0

stephen583

Jan 12, 2016
Salt lake City, UT
✟24,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I haven't seen this particular passage posted in this thread yet, so I'm just going to throw it out there for the purpose of discussion. These are the words of John the Baptist himself.

"I baptize you with water for repentance, But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry (an obvious reference to Jesus Christ). He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire" (Matthew 3:11).

For me this represents one of the "seeming" contradictions of the NT. As it is obvious Jesus (and possibly some of the twelve disciples) were advocates of "water" baptism.. but was this only true before Christ was crucified ?

We also read in Acts the Apostle Paul administered baptism with water like John the Baptist did, and this took place after the Day of Pentecost. Curious, huh ? I don't think James (the patriarch of the early Christian Church in Jerusalem) ever baptized anyone.

However, Matthew 3:11 appears to indicate the "nature" of baptism changes after Christ is crucified and the Day of Pentecost occurs. Thereafter, baptism is purely a "spiritual" matter, not a physical event where someone is immersed in water to repent for their sins. That's my view anyways.

Keep in mind, according to Christian theology sin is hereafter and forever washed away by someone accepting the blood sacrifice of Christ crucified as the Son of God. Accepting that is what washes away all sin, (Eph. 1:7, 1 John 1:7, I Peter 1:19, Rev.1:5). This is stated over and over again in the NT.

BTW. As far as I know, the robes of the tribulation saints mentioned in the Revelation appearing in heaven are cleansed by the "Blood of the Lamb".. not by water (Revelation 7:14).

Perhaps early Christians (Like the Apostle Paul) believed water baptism was essential as a recognition of "past" sin.. which thereafter set the stage for a deeper baptism by the Holy Spirit ! That seems like a reasonable assumption to me.

Although I don't see how anyone works "infant" water baptism into that "recognition" scenario.. as I don't see how a new born can consciously make such a decision. Indeed I don't think any infant baptisms by the Apostle Paul, or any other early Christian for that matter are described anywhere in the Bible. I think infant baptism is more about a religious "tradition" that evolved hundreds of years later, than any scriptural requirement for salvation.

This answer appears to clear up the "seeming" contradiction, doesn't it ? At least it represents an attempt to do so. What do you think ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

stephen583

Jan 12, 2016
Salt lake City, UT
✟24,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I also grew up in New Orleans Louisiana among many Catholics. When my cousin and his wife from Texas visited, I took them to see the tombs in an old graveyard in town. Rusty's wife Breanna noticed the dozens of graves in the back of the graveyard beyond the fence. She asked, "What are those" ???

I explained to her, "That's something weird the Catholics do".. "They don't allow unbaptized still births, aborted babies, or suicides to be buried on sacred church ground".. "So they get buried in a private plot on the other side of the fence", or at least that's the way it was handled back when those particular people were buried".

She was quite taken back and emotionally upset at seeing that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stephen583

Jan 12, 2016
Salt lake City, UT
✟24,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did you know the mother of Adolf Hitler was a devout member of the Roman Catholic Church, and she had him christened as a baby ? He remained a member of the Roman Catholic Church until his suicide in 1945, after which he was posthumously ex-communicated by the Church. Go ahead. "Google it".

Does anybody seriously believe the most infamous dictator and mass murderer of the Twentieth Century was a "Christian and was Saved" simply because he was baptized as a baby ? Lol.

I don't !

Upvote 0