✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So not John McArthur. Noted.

I wouldn't put him in my top 5. Maybe top 10. I'm thinking we have different standards of what makes a good preacher.

Yes he is a one of a kind. His in-depth opening of the Scriptures is outstanding. I enjoy and look forward to his Sunday messages.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,534.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So not John McArthur. Noted.

I wouldn't put him in my top 5. Maybe top 10. I'm thinking we have different standards of what makes a good preacher.
John MacArthur teaches an extremely subtle works salvation. I have listened to and read much of him and find him to be a false prophet. His Dispensationalism is paramount in all that he teaches. He is very legalistic, again in such a subtle way that it is very easy to miss, and he appeals to the natural desire in us all to do something. He is Calvinistic in his soteriology but all else is about man. His focus is on man and not on Christ. He, like all false teachers, can grasp the natural meaning of the words of the Scriptures but misses the message. The message is always Christ and His Gospel.

He is very appealing in his preaching certainly but we must never judge a preacher by how he holds our interest or even by his manner. We judge a preacher, myself included, by what he teaches and preaches.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
John MacArtur is of the devil. I read some of his stuff a while back and he is so judgmental and angry at anyone who doesn't believe his way and it's disgusting.
Isn't that what you're doing?

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
John MacArthur teaches an extremely subtle works salvation. I have listened to and read much of him and find him to be a false prophet. His Dispensationalism is paramount in all that he teaches. He is very legalistic, again in such a subtle way that it is very easy to miss, and he appeals to the natural desire in us all to do something. He is Calvinistic in his soteriology but all else is about man. His focus is on man and not on Christ. He, like all false teachers, can grasp the natural meaning of the words of the Scriptures but misses the message. The message is always Christ and His Gospel.

He is very appealing in his preaching certainly but we must never judge a preacher by how he holds our interest or even by his manner. We judge a preacher, myself included, by what he teaches and preaches.

Pretty strong language about calling John MacArthur, brother in Jesus a false profit, hey. Jesus said " I give you a new command: love one another. Just as I have loved you, you must also love one another. By this all people will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13:34,35. HCSB.

Being critical comes natural to all of us. I have to remind myself over and over that when I attack a brother or sister in Christ that I have just trampled His command to show love to that person. I have a hard time really being His disciple. When I really follow the way of Jesus then instead of criticizing, I say to myself that person sure needs a lot of prayer.

Please LORD Jesus please help me to follow your command to love my brother.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

There are so many Christian pastors who teach a works righteousness yet would deny it.

The question becomes what is works righteousness and what isn't. The odds are a great majority listed in here preach works righteousness in some form. Maybe all of them. The odds are your favorites do to. But people deny it. Ego gets in the way.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not sure what the issue is with john macarthur but I suspect its because he might have said some things against the holy spirit gifts like saying they didn't operate anymore, which I know is false.

I hope he repented of this because that is flying in the face of what God is doing.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,534.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Pretty strong language about calling John MacArthur, brother in Jesus a false profit, hey. Jesus said " I give you a new command: love one another. Just as I have loved you, you must also love one another. By this all people will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13:34,35. HCSB.

Being critical comes natural to all of us. I have to remind myself over and over that when I attack a brother or sister in Christ that I have just trampled His command to show love to that person. I have a hard time really being His disciple. When I really follow the way of Jesus then instead of criticizing, I say to myself that person sure needs a lot of prayer.

Please LORD Jesus please help me to follow your command to love my brother.
As a man called of God to preach His Gospel I am commanded to warn of false prophets. If I see the enemy and give not warning the blood of those who are destroyed because I didn't warn them is on my head. I take that very seriously.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,534.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what the issue is with john macarthur but I suspect its because he might have said some things against the holy spirit gifts like saying they didn't operate anymore, which I know is false.

I hope he repented of this because that is flying in the face of what God is doing.
My problem with MacArthur has nothing to do with his stance on the gifts it has to do with his teaching as a whole.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,534.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There are so many Christian pastors who teach a works righteousness yet would deny it.

The question becomes what is works righteousness and what isn't. The odds are a great majority listed in here preach works righteousness in some form. Maybe all of them. The odds are your favorites do to. But people deny it. Ego gets in the way.
Most do to be sure. But there are some who are truly called of God, as opposed to being called by men, who actually preach Christ as the sufficient Savior. We point men to nothing in themselves and constantly seek to hold up Christ as all in all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
As a man called of God to preach His Gospel I am commanded to warn of false prophets. If I see the enemy and give not warning the blood of those who are destroyed because I didn't warn them is on my head. I take that very seriously.
Let's see, we have MacArthur who has been preaching for over forty years and has most of his sermons available for scrutiny, and one can visit his church, versus a guy who claims to be a pastor but hides behind a screen name and makes vague accusations.

I'm going with Johnny on this one. And I disagree with his dispensationalism, for the record.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I looked up his website and dont really agree with him, preaching for 40 years doesnt mean a thing if its wrong and against the holy spirit. You cant just say the holy spirit doesnt give gifts anymore. Maybe he never asked for or recieved the gift doesnt mean other christians dont have them, or use them.

Anyway I can understand why some people dont like what he said.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think Francis chan is another good preacher, well for americans. He does address the american church specifically.
And when he was alive David .wilkerson was good.

I only really know these preachers through the books theyve written, not actually heard them but some are on you tube.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Joel osteen, although he has some good things to say, for most christians hes christianity lite.

He had a book called 'your best life now' and some take issue with that because its not always your best life now, the best is yet to come.

I dont want to lump him in with prosperity gospel preachers but hes the type that espouses that idea.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I looked up his website and dont really agree with him, preaching for 40 years doesnt mean a thing if its wrong and against the holy spirit. You cant just say the holy spirit doesnt give gifts anymore. Maybe he never asked for or recieved the gift doesnt mean other christians dont have them, or use them.

Anyway I can understand why some people dont like what he said.
There's a difference between disagreeing with a theological position and calling someone a false prophet. For instance, I disagree with dispensationalism, but that's not the litmus test for orthodoxy. There are things we must agree on in orthodoxy, and things we are free to disagree with and not divide over (gifts, eschatology, etc).

I'm not a MacArthur apologist. But I think calling him a false prophet quite a stretch and irresponsible.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,534.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Let's see, we have MacArthur who has been preaching for over forty years and has most of his sermons available for scrutiny, and one can visit his church, versus a guy who claims to be a pastor but hides behind a screen name and makes vague accusations.

I'm going with Johnny on this one. And I disagree with his dispensationalism, for the record.
Up until recently, because of circumstances beyond my control, my sermons were available on Sermonaudio. I am hiding nothing. BTW, I never claimed to be a pastor but I am one called to preach His Gospel. If you desire for me to outline why I make such statements against John MacArthur, and yes I have contacted him with them, I would be happy to do so.

Still you are free to decide for yourself. I have given the warning as commanded and the blood of those who follow him is not on my head.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't think anyone called him a false prophet...but I think if someone does say that about someone there must be a good reason why they would say that.

I think one of the posters was offended by what john macathur was implying that the gifts had ceased, and I would be too if heard he was saying that. That is actually blaspheming the holy spirit to attribute the gifts to the devil. Jesus had harsh words to say about people who did that.

Upvote 0