Who are the "Many" in Matthew 24:5 that will lead others astray?

christopheralan88

Apr 20, 2014
✟12,652.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I find it fascinating when you look at the different translations of Matthew 24:5 on BibleHub (http://biblehub.com/matthew/24-5.htm) that about half the translations say #1 below and half say #2 below.

1) "....many will come in my (Jesus) name saying, 'I am the Messiah'..."
2) "....many will come in my (Jesus) name saying, I am the Messiah..."

The difference is that "I am the Messiah" is in single quotes in some translations while not in quotes in other translations. While this may seem like a trivial difference, please consider what the effect of this is:

If the quotations are correct, then the statement "I am the Messiah" is being said by the "many". Therefore, "I" refers to the "many", not Jesus - meaning many will come saying that they, not Jesus, are the Messiah.

If the quotations are not correct, then the statement "I am the Messiah" is being said by Jesus. Therefore, "I" refers to Jesus - meaning many will come saying Jesus is the Messiah.

So, the question is which is right - quotations or no quotations? Well, Matthew 24:3 shows us Jesus is responding to a question from His disciples about what the sign of the end of the age/His second coming will be. We are definitely close to the end of the age right now, so let's test #1 and #2 above.

If quotations are correct, we would expect to see many claiming to be the Messiah. There are a handful here and there, but not anywhere close to "many".

If quotations are not correct, we would expect to see many claiming that Jesus is the Messiah. Oh....we have many, many, many, many, many who claim that.

So, clearly Matthew 24:5 should NOT have quotations. So, who are these "many" who claim Jesus is the Messiah and lead many astray? Another good question is what are these many who claim Jesus to be the Messiah leading others astray from?

I'll give you my thoughts, but I want to see some others' thoughts first.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
If quotations are correct, we would expect to see many claiming to be the Messiah. There are a handful here and there, but not anywhere close to "many".
Exactly as YHWH'S WORD SAYS,
there are many. (possiblly millions) (true, not many compared to population of earth, but that's another story)
It is not good to talk about it here.

Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The quotes must be intended. To say "Jesus is the Messiah" does not deceive anyone. This passage applies first and foremost to the destruction of the Temple, and it is a fact of history that many false Messiahs appeared prior to that time, and did lead many astray. A partial list of references is provided in Gill's commentary on this verse.

Upvote 0

watchman 2

Sep 22, 2016
ohio
✟24,537.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I find it fascinating when you look at the different translations of Matthew 24:5 on BibleHub (http://biblehub.com/matthew/24-5.htm) that about half the translations say #1 below and half say #2 below.

The difference is that "I am the Messiah" is in single quotes in some translations while not in quotes in other translations. While this may seem like a trivial difference, please consider what the effect of this is:

If the quotations are correct, then the statement "I am the Messiah" is being said by the "many". Therefore, "I" refers to the "many", not Jesus - meaning many will come saying that they, not Jesus, are the Messiah.

If the quotations are not correct, then the statement "I am the Messiah" is being said by Jesus. Therefore, "I" refers to Jesus - meaning many will come saying Jesus is the Messiah.

So, the question is which is right - quotations or no quotations? Well, Matthew 24:3 shows us Jesus is responding to a question from His disciples about what the sign of the end of the age/His second coming will be. We are definitely close to the end of the age right now, so let's test #1 and #2 above.

If quotations are not correct, we would expect to see many claiming that Jesus is the Messiah. Oh....we have many, many, many, many, many who claim that.

So, clearly Matthew 24:5 should NOT have quotations. So, who are these "many" who claim Jesus is the Messiah and lead many astray? Another good question is what are these many who claim Jesus to be the Messiah leading others astray from?

In the original transcripts (letters) , there were no chapters , there were no verses , and there were no punctuation.

So with that said , the true context needs to be discerned from that stand point .

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Many will say: I am the Messiah.
Quote or without quote.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I think it is quite obvious that He is speaking of false messiahs.....
Mathew 24

Cults, Revolutions, Famines, and Earthquakes
3 While Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately and said, “Tell us, when will these things take place, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”
4 Jesus answered them, “See to it that no one deceives you,
5 because many will come in my name and say, ‘I’m the Messiah,’ and they will deceive many people.
6 You’ll hear of wars and rumors of wars. See to it that you aren’t alarmed. These things must take place, but the end hasn’t come yet,
7 because nation will rise up in arms against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.
8 But all these things are only the beginning of the birth pains.”

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How can anyone misunderstand this Scripture so badly? If they proclaim Jesus as the Messiah they are no longer false Messiahs or false teachers. But when they deny that Jesus is the true Messiah, and proclaim that they are the Messiahs, then they are indeed false Messiahs. To come in His name is to pretend that they are the true Messiahs and have been sent by God.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So, who are these "many" who claim Jesus is the Messiah and lead many astray?

I suspect that it could refer to the oil-less virgins part of the Church, who claim to come in Christ's name but in truth he does not know them.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I would submit that the verse has nothing to do with the letters J.E.S.U.S. What I mean is, it says, Many will come in my name and you inserted "Jesus" but I don't think that fits the Hebraic paradigm that messiah would have had. What I mean is, in Hebrew... the word for name (shem) is dealing less with what we call somebody, and more with the name bearer's character, reputation, authority, power, etc. So if he says, "Many will come in my name saying....." his language and culture would have been saying, "Many will come in my character saying..." meaning they might LOOK and ACT like they belong, but don't. Kind of the wolf in sheep's clothing idea.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

This verse is but one statement in a corpus; and the context of this statement is filled out by the rest of the entire passage, particularly in verses 23-25

23 At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.​

So, in sum, I'd say that the context indicates a reason why translators put in quote marks in verse 5; and from all of this we can conclude that Jesus was right, for there have been and will be individuals who come along and proclaim that they are "THE Messiah." And of course, we know they aren't.

In converse, verse 5 is not a statement about any kind of increase in the number of hypocrites who claim to be Christian and take to the world stage. Although Jesus does give indications elsewhere about the nature and presence of hypocrisy, verse 5 isn't one of those statements.

2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That passage is meant that the Messiah is totally invisible so when someone today says, "Look, here is the Messiah", they are lying because it's the words that come from the Holy Spirit that Jesus was speaking. His flesh was of no avail like he said here;

John 6
63: It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

The Gospel that Jesus spoke is the Messiah, not the flesh.

Mark 1
14: Now after John was arrested, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God,
15: and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent, and believe in the gospel."

There were many others who came after Jesus died who preached the same Gospel;

1 Thessolonians 1
4: For we know, brethren beloved by God, that he has chosen you;
5: for our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. You know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake.
6: And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with joy inspired by the Holy Spirit;

The Gospel is also known as the word of the Lord or voice of the Lord who spoke into the mind of Abraham;

Galations 3
8: And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, "In you shall all the nations be blessed."

Genesis 22
15 And the angel of the LORD called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time, 16 And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son: 17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies; 18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

The angel of the Lord is the same thing as the word of the Lord or the voice of the Lord.

As you can see, the Messiah is not about the flesh. It's about the voice of the Lord that Jesus spoke called the Gospel, also known as the Spirit of God.

John 6
63: It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

Interesting perspective, Father. And I thought the passage was about Jesus' warnings to be wary of various Anti-Christs and False Prophets who will definitely be visible and lead people astray.

2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The quotes must be intended. To say "Jesus is the Messiah" does not deceive anyone. This passage applies first and foremost to the destruction of the Temple, and it is a fact of history that many false Messiahs appeared prior to that time, and did lead many astray. A partial list of references is provided in Gill's commentary on this verse.
Agreed, and in Adam Clarke's commentary as well.
Scripture itself mentions a couple of such men who said they were the expected Jewish Messiah, the one who would liberate them from Roman rule.

I think that if more people would read Josephus, the Jewish historian who witnessed the destruction of the temple by the Romans, it would clear up some confusion over the scriptures that are talking about Jerusalem specifically, the 'end of the age', and the Jews and Christians of that time, that generation.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
These false prophets are the one's who stand behind pulpits in the false gods built by the influence of the Beast and teach their followers false interpretations of what they read in the Bible. They are trying to get their followers to visualize the flesh of Jesus and say he is the Messiah without knowing that the Messiah is the Holy Spirit that is giving life to all God's people.

You may have to clarify what you mean by "visualize the flesh of Jesus," because I'm not clear on what that is supposed to denote. How would I know if I'm at risk for mis-visualizing Jesus?

2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
You've heard the expression "too many." And "One is too many."

Quite a number over the ages have claimed to be THE MESSIAH. I think enough to prove the prophecy true. That is, we are beyond the point of Mt. 24:5 still having to be fulfilled before, "The Son of Man" cometh (again).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums