Who are the individuals spoken of in Mt 24:31?

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Matthew 24:31 KJV
31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Who are these individuals ("his elect") who will be gathered together from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other?

These individuals evidently reside in heaven? This gathering is evidently at the end of the tribulation and before Armegeddon. It is probably not the Jewish Remant and not those who successfully hid in the rocks, the hills and the caves; because, these groups should be earth dwellers and not dwellers of heaven.

This was pointed out to me in a teaching I recently heard.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
footnote from HebraicRootsBible.pdf
footnote (2) 1 Cor 15:52, Rev 11:15, 1Thes 4:16, Lev
23:24

31 And He will send His cherubs with a great sound of a large trumpet, and they will gather His chosen ones from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other. (2)

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Who are these individuals ("his elect") who will be gathered together from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other?

These individuals evidently reside in heaven? This gathering is evidently at the end of the tribulation and before Armegeddon. It is probably not the Jewish Remant and not those who successfully hid in the rocks, the hills and the caves; because, these groups should be earth dwellers and not dwellers of heaven.

the elect , his chosen ones

Many are called few are chosen .. The ones chosen are they that answer his call .. it is the believers .his church .

Upvote 0

cannot be known

Aug 25, 2016
westernwashington
✟7,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Interesting point. i would agree with OP.

When you look at the big picture, it seems God intends to keep his people alive on this planet for as long as possible, as such I don't believe there will be a rapture. rather, there will be an ice age in the near future and mankind will go back to a few hundred thousand survivors spread out over all the earth.. the end is yet to come, anyhow; depending on how you look at Rev, it does appear those who lost their head for the testimony of Christ, they will return to the earth to finish their allotted time on this earth (potentially dying a natural death, or leaving the earth after their appointed time, as did Enoch)

it may sound like heresy to suggest there will be natural birth and death during the next age, but i have no insecurities preventing me from believing it. Note that God wouldn't expect anyone to die twice, so those who's lives were cut short because God didn't deliver them from persecution (Jesus commands us to flee persecution), if those return to live out their days in this flesh existance, then they would not taste death again.

another thing to consider is those elect may be gathered together at the judgment (when the books are opened), at some point that has to happen

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
it may sound like heresy to suggest there will be natural birth and death during the next age, but i have no insecurities preventing me from believing it.

another thing to consider is those elect may be gathered together at the judgment (when the books are opened), at some point that has to happen

Of course there will be people living during the millennial
reign of Jesus. The nations (leaders) will still control their
nations, under the rule of Jesus. They will have to come to
Jerusalem yearly to worship God. If they fail, he will withhold
the rains from their countries.
Zechariah 14:16-17

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting point. i would agree with OP.

When you look at the big picture, it seems God intends to keep his people alive on this planet for as long as possible, as such I don't believe there will be a rapture. rather, there will be an ice age in the near future and mankind will go back to a few hundred thousand survivors spread out over all the earth.. the end is yet to come, anyhow; depending on how you look at Rev, it does appear those who lost their head for the testimony of Christ, they will return to the earth to finish their allotted time on this earth (potentially dying a natural death, or leaving the earth after their appointed time, as did Enoch)

it may sound like heresy to suggest there will be natural birth and death during the next age, but i have no insecurities preventing me from believing it. Note that God wouldn't expect anyone to die twice, so those who's lives were cut short because God didn't deliver them from persecution (Jesus commands us to flee persecution), if those return to live out their days in this flesh existance, then they would not taste death again.

dot dot dot

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
on the other hand, i do have some latent desire to live forever and never taste death.

allegedly, i don't know what I’m asking for..
give him time and he will kick into full heretical points and even blaspheme and call himself Christ .. ..

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟153,947.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

But the text doesn't say they are dwellers of heaven. "Gather from the four winds" is an idiom that means the same as collecting them from the "four corners of the earth" or from the "four corners of the land" (the same word can be translated earth or land depending on the context). In Gen 1 God called the expanse (atmosphere) "heaven." CF Jer 49:36, Eze 37:9, Dan 11:4, Zec 2:6. In these passages, the "four winds" means the known inhabited world of the time, or the whole land of Israel.

God's ELECT are true believers. But it says "his elect" not "all the elect." Therefore, it may be debatable to say this is the first resurrection, although it says "with a great sound of a trumpet" which corresponds to Paul's description of the resurrection in 1 Cor. 15. It also does not specify how long a time lapses (if any) between v. 30 and v. 31, but v. 34 indicates it is within that generation of the 1st century. I think that in context, gathering the elect would not be resurrection, but would be the beginning of the salvation of the gentiles, since it says "the gospel must be preached to all the nations." Indeed, within that generation, the gospel did go out to all the known world, under the Roman empire. So then, in this sense, "gather together" is a spiritual (born-again) fulfillment.

The bottom line is, the elect has to be the church of Jesus Christ, as I can't see any other definition from my reading of the NT.
TD:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
That's correct. Unspiritual men can easily say Jesus is Lord because that's what false prophets taught them. Those of us born of God know what Jesus experienced.
Did you know HE was also stoned with rocks before being hung on a tree crucified ?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
so, fyi, anyone under the sun, including demons can say to you: Jesus is Lord.
Actually any man or woman can say those words out of thier mouth like they can recite abc.. But no "spirit" that is not of God can .theres a difference . but sorry there is a point here that i was adressing that your not yet privy to,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jezmeyah

member since 7-14-16
Jul 14, 2016
Indiana
✟32,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The mention of angels and the four winds and heaven in Mat.24:31 indicate that the mode of travel will be angelic, or perhaps it's a metaphoric reference to airplanes, or both. Since the text suggests fast transportation from far distances on the globe to one particular area., which would be Jerusalem Israel.

The Matthew text is speaking in connection with the Second Coming of Christ and is therefore to be placed at exactly the time of the Armegeddon event (Isa.26:21; Zech.142-5; Revelations 19:14-16) .

Your "probably" has no firm indication of accuracy, in the light of the scripture which states (Zach.12:10) that "they will look upon him whom they pierced". The word "they" who pierced him is not in reference to the (Gentiles) Roman soldiers, but to the Jews to whom Peter preached on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:36), saying "This Jesus whom you crucified".

That very thing (crucifying Christ) which the replacement theology teaches (that I do not embrace, but merely point it out) that they say disqualifies the Jews from being called God's Elect., and therefore by default regards only the Christians as the Elect.

The scripture that states, "to the Jews first, then to the Gentiles" also specifies that the Elect are first and foremost, the Jews.. who at this present time are awaiting the coming Messiah, and at this present time do declare his soon arrival.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God didn't use a cross to kill the flesh of Jesus. That false story came from unspiritual men who produced the New Testament after stealing all the writings and spoken words ( the Gospel ) that God's saints were preaching.

You can obey the Bible if you want but I listen to the Holy Spirit and obey all the commandments of God. Yes, Jesus and I preach the same exact Gospel that no unspiritual man can understand.
And here folks all is revealed. Time to leave mate.

Upvote 0