It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
bo150519.png

White America’s Waco insanity: The shocking realities it ignores about racism & violence

El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz, as Malcolm X was otherwise known, did not have any hope that white people could or would change when it came to race. Although King was far less optimistic at the end of his life about the capacity of white people to change, too, he still has the March on Washington speech, which represented the zenith of his racial optimism.

Malcolm X was different. His unflinching honesty about the evils of white racism made even King, formidable orator that he was, scared to debate Malcolm in public. Though he eventually toned down his rhetoric about the people that he was known to refer to as “white devils,” he never backed down from holding white people accountable for their investment in and perpetuation of white supremacy. For instance, in a 1963 public conversation and debate with James Baldwin, Malcolm X told him, “Never do you find white people encouraging other whites to be nonviolent. Whites idolize fighters. …At the same time that they admire these fighters, they encourage the so called ‘Negro’ in America to get his desires fulfilled with a sit in stroke, or a passive approach, or a love your enemy approach or pray for those who despitefully use you. This is insane.”

And indeed we did get a front row seat to such insanity this week, when three biker gangs in Texas, had a shootout in a parking lot that left nine people dead and 18 people injured. More than 165 people have been arrested for their participation in this thuggish, ruggish, deadly, violent, white-on-white street brawl but there has been no mass outcry from the country about this. Though these motorcycle gangs were already under surveillance because of known participation in consistent and organized criminal activity, as Darnell Moore notes at Mic, “the police didn’t don riot gear.” Moore further notes that “leather and rock music weren’t blamed,” and there hasn’t been any “hand-wringing over the problem of white-on-white crime.”

Read on about how white people remain “intent on denying what is before them.”
The response to the Twin Peaks shootout says everything you need to know about how white privilege really works

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
You're right about there being a difference: Mass Roundup of Bikers in Waco Shootout Tests Limits of Court System | New York Times

WACO, Tex. — The deadly shootout here on Sunday between rival motorcycle gangs has led to what appears to be the largest roundup and mass arrest of bikers in recent American history, experts said. As the roughly 170 people facing organized-crime charges in the case continued to clog up the local court system on Tuesday, new details emerged about the disputes that led to the violence.​

The thugs were rounded up and are being prosecuted.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,570.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I knew just by seeing the thread title that it was a Salon article.

Does the writer know that the mayor and police chief of Baltimore are black? Did the writer know that about half the bikers were Hispanic?

Look like white people to me.

waco_mugshots.jpg

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does the writer know that the mayor and police chief of Baltimore are black?
Why is that important? I've seen several people here post their pictures over and over again as though that proved something.

Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
It's all about statistics. These incidents among whites are far less proportionally common than extreme violence is with black communities, as most of the violent crime in the United States is committed by a group that only make around 13% of the population of the country.

Hope that clears things up!

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,570.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I know, right? When its crime, hispanics become white. Its the darndest thing!

Did you know 'Hispanic' is not a race, and that most people of the Spanish persuasion are in fact Caucasian?

The article makes a good point. Too bad you choose to dismiss it for some talk of 'Hispanics'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Look like white people to me.

waco_mugshots.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I can point out at least 3 people in this montage who resemble Hispanic guys I've known. The guy in the bottom row, far left, and the guy in the center of the top row, plus the one next to him.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Did you know 'Hispanic' is not a race, and that most people of the Spanish persuasion are in fact Caucasian?

The article makes a good point. Too bad you choose to dismiss it for some talk of 'Hispanics'.

Its not a race until it is. We are constantly told that because of Hispanic immigration to the US that whites will become a minority. When its crime though, Hispanics become white.

I guess whatever is needed at the moment determines definitions.

Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

This. There are Hispanic/Spanish people who don't have brown eyes, dark hair and olive or darker skin. I've known Hispanic people who pass easily for "white," in addition to those that you would swear were African-American, until they starting speaking with a Puerto Rican or Dominican accent.

Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
This. There are Hispanic/Spanish people who don't have brown eyes, dark hair and olive or darker skin. I've known Hispanic people who pass easily for "white," in addition to those that you would swear were African-American, until they starting speaking with a Puerto Rican or Dominican accent.

This may be true, but the majority of Hispanics coming to the United States are of mestizo origin, which is a biracial mixture of European and Native American.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,570.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Its not a race until it is. We are constantly told that because of Hispanic immigration to the US that whites will become a minority. When its crime though, Hispanics become white.

I guess whatever is needed at the moment determines definitions.

That is why all the right-winged fear mongering about Hispanics taking over America is so stupid.... I live in a city where half are Hispanic, and there is no problem here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
That is why all the right-winged fear mongering about Hispanics taking over America is so stupid.... I live in a city where half are Hispanic, and there is no problem here.
Agreed. Remember this old theme?
4.jpg

Who knew that Hispanics wouldn't vote the way they were told to.​

Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This may be true, but the majority of Hispanics coming to the United States are of mestizo origin, which is a biracial mixture of European and Native American.

Taino and Carib peoples are NOT considered to be Native American. Neither are the indigenous peoples in Central and South America.

Plus don't forget the fact that a good many people particularly from the Caribbean islands of Latin America (Puerto Rico, Cuba, DR, etc.) also have African roots due to Spanish-ruled slavery on those islands. That's where the "Afro" in Afro-Cuban music, for example, comes from.

Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Taino and Carib peoples are NOT considered to be Native American. Neither are the indigenous peoples in Central and South America.

Plus don't forget the fact that a good many people particularly from the Caribbean islands of Latin America (Puerto Rico, Cuba, DR, etc.) also have African roots due to Spanish-ruled slavery on those islands. That's where the "Afro" in Afro-Cuban music, for example, comes from.

When saying "Native American", I was exactly referring to the indigenous population of all the Americas, and I apologize for my lack of clarity.

And I do know that many Hispanics are also of mixed African origin, but the majority coming to the United States are mestizo. And none of these groups are white whatsoever.

Upvote 0