While Francis frustrates foes with silence, Fr. Antonio Spadaro nails them with tweets

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Link:

While Francis frustrates foes with silence, Fr. Antonio Spadaro nails them with tweets

Excerpt:

“I feel that we are living through an important phase in the history of the world and the church,” he told RNS. “It is not an easy moment and it is full of contradictions and risks. Francis’ outlook is profoundly evangelical, prophetic and open: He is one of the few figures who gives hope. To follow the pope up close is a profound joy that overcomes all possible problems along the way and all possible attacks by the critics.”

Spadaro also downplays the number of critics, even if they have an outsized profile, especially in the English-speaking world where the opposition seems most vocal.

“The problem is that some opponents make a lot of noise, especially on social media,” he said. “They create an echo chamber. But you can hear the noise only inside the sacristies” — the rooms in a church where priests and bishops change into their vestments. “If you get out of the sacristies you can’t hear anything. So only the people inside the sacristies can hear this big noise.”

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Here is a link to Father Antonio's Twitter feed:

Antonio Spadaro (@antoniospadaro) | Twitter

It appears to be in Italian, but I am sure some of our more technically sophisticated members can find a way to translate it. Maybe someone even knows Italian. :)

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The article talks about how Pope Francis is responding to critics through his homilies, interviews and writings, pressing forward as usual. I like that. Francis does not dive into the muck with these Cardinals and other critics, but maintains his composure and his integrity. By doing so, he indirectly exposes these people for what they are, for the world to see.

I also like Fr. Spadaro and what he is doing with La Civilta Cattolica. Going to check it out.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
"Since the moment he was elected in 2013, Pope Francis has sought to steer the Catholic church away from a focus on doctrinal rules and formulas and toward a more pastoral ministry — a campaign that has sparked widespread hand-wringing among traditionalists and unusually public opposition to the pontiff."

Davidnic if you are reading , do you agree with the journalist's take on this?
Seems clear to me, Francis is taking us in a less conservative direction, less emphasis on dogma and doctrine.

Upvote 0