In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Whom have you met in the flesh? We see all kinds on the internet, but what groups have you seen and talked to in real life, especcially on religious issues?

I work daily with Christians, Hindus, and Muslims and have discussed religious topics often in staff get-togethers - mostly caused by Muslim halaal requirements or Hindu reticence to eat beef or meat in entirety.

There are few Jews in my country, but I have worked with a few.

I have never met a western convert to Buddhism, but I know quite a few Chinese ones. They tend to stress more traditional ideas like reincarnation which I see western Buddhist seem to ignore, at least on the internet. My experience with them vs Western Buddhists on the internet is like night and day, I wouldn't even think they were of the same religion.

My wife's one colleague is a Persian Bahai, but I have yet to discuss religious topics with her or her husband.

I met one Sikh once, but we didn't get farther than discussing his need for a turban as he was only an elective student visiting my department for a week.

The only Neopagans I have ever met were Psychiatric inpatients, so I hope they aren't representative of the breed.

I talked to Mormon missionaries once, but they seemed unwilling to talk to me any further once I started asking about Joseph Smith, his polygamy and golden plates.

I have never met any Jains, Shintoists, Zoroastrians or Karaite Jews.

So whom have you met? In my experience, the real people are very different from your impressions of them or the personae that bear those labels on the internet. Sometimes it takes a while to find out what religions people even practise, so maybe I have met some I don't even realise. Do you find religious dialogue easier or harder in real life than on the internet? I would opt for the former, but what do you think?

Last edited:

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,353.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The only Neopagans I have ever met were Psychiatric inpatients, so I hope they aren't representative of the breed.
OH%20NO%20YOU%20DI%20INT%20MICHELLE%20OBAMA.jpg

Upvote 0

ChristianFromKazakhstan

Oct 9, 2016
ALMATY
✟29,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was Muslim. I met same as you, also many from Orthodox Judaism, JW, Shamanism - mostly from my country and Siberia and one from Africa. People from Native American faith. Pagans. Krishnaits. Shintoists. Tolstovtsys. A few followers of Tengrism (traditional Turkic faith, a kind of mix of monoteism and Shamanism). I am sure I met others too, can't recall everyone now. These days I meet some people who believe strange combination of faiths, like, a soup of Eastern religions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I've had a coworker who was a Jehovah's Witness, super friendly and brilliant engineer. I think religion was only referenced or twice off hours and only in casual conversation.

Spoke to two Mormons who came by to let people know they had established a church a few towns over; also really nice guys. We talked for about half an hour about Mormonism in general.

My wife worked with a young Muslim woman, but I only met her once and briefly but she seemed nice. Religion only came up because she couldn't accept an offer to drive her home when it was raining.

I've met several reform, conservative, and orthodox Jews. Also pretty high on the friendly scale. Conversation usually focuses more on current events rather than religion.

I used belong to collection of NeoPagans that included Asatru, Wiccans of different traditions, a Druid, a Hedgewitch, and various eclectics. This was the primary group I discussed religion with.

I also know a few Quakers, Methodists, Presbyterians, non-denominational Christians, Evangelicals, and a Baptist. These are primarily friends and family and religious conversations are rare.

Religious conversation for me in public can be troublesome since it would probably mean outing myself, which I prefer not to do. I think I'd like it more if it was a stranger. The Internet is easier as long as the crowd isn't too big or hostile.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟334,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've had some lengthy conversations with a Jewish friend about her religious beliefs and practice, and I celebrate Sukkot with her each year. I've had briefer conversations about religion with colleagues at work who are Hindu, Sikh, Jain, Buddhist, and Muslim. Right after 9/11, I decided I needed to know more about Islam, so I sought out a local mosque and spent an afternoon talking with a young woman there, to learn about her faith. And I've had friends who were atheists or agnostics, and they've told me why they hold their beliefs.

Alas, I don't always know how to bring up religious topics gracefully in conversation, but I enjoy talking with people about their religion when I get the chance.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,353.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think it's easier on the internet because on forums like these people are here to talk about their religion, they wouldn't be here if they didn't want to, but in real life you have no way of knowing until you bring it up, which can be awkward when they don't want to talk. Or possibly they would want to talk sometime, but they're maybe not in the mood, whereas online you only start talking if and when you want to.

I've known lots of Jews, never tried to talked religion except with one. He just loaned me a book by a rabbi which was a lengthy criticism of St. Paul. It wasn't very good. I gave it back, said thanks and didn't try to discuss anything further.

Muslims I've known will not talk about anything but on the most superficial level. Beyond that, trying to touch on anything important, they want to simply stop the conversation.

I've got one Jehovah's Witness hall about a mile east of me and another just 2 miles west of me, so I get double-teamed. They're knocking on the door all the time. They're also very reluctant to talk, so I just hand them Orthodox pamphlets when they hand me their pamphlets. Once they refused to take mine, and told me they're not allowed to accept literature from anyone.

In my younger days I used to meet neo-pagans fairly often. They'd talk about it sometimes but it was usually like a girl telling me she was the Most Exalted High Priestess of something or other. I didn't really take it seriously enough to pay much attention.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hard to say, people are usually not very into religion here.

Really, mainly Christians, Muslims and atheists (many whom won't use the "A" word for some reason.. lol)

The Muslims are pretty friendly, most are of Somali origin. I'm not sure about others, but when I think of Muslims I tend to think of Africans. The sight of an Arab Muslim is pretty rare here. Lol. The Muslims seem to be more into their faith than Christians, and often like talking about religion. I've never had a bad experience with one yet.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I spent a lot of time around Catholics since I was brought up Catholic. In protestantism I know mostly Lutherans and Baptists with a smattering of Methodists in there. I haven't had any experience meeting anyone of the Orthodox faith which sucks because I found it really fascinating for a long time but didn't really have anyone to talk to about it. I've met lots of Mormons since I grew up in somewhat of a hotspot for them. They are pretty straight-laced and its hard to tell if their kindness is genuine but some that I went to school with are straight-shooters and still active friends. I have never met a Jehovah's Witness.

I know a few Jews but they really keep to themselves about their faith. One is Reformed and one is Conservative. They're sparse around here.

I met a few Muslims in college but am not in regular contact with any currently. There are some at my workplace because of a large south Asian presence in the workforce but they tend to not be real open about their faith, which is fairly typical in that kind of technical environment.

I spend a lot of time around Hindus, though. A lot of that has to do with my offshore contracting firm using a lot of folks from India and Bangladesh as is the nature of software development. They're very pleasant and are willing to talk religion if it is brought up. I have lots of questions and have been regaled with many answers, I enjoy talking to them quite a bit. At work we celebrate Diwali along with the Christian and Jewish holidays around the end of the year. It's a lot of fun and is guaranteed good food for me.

That I can think of, I have never met a Buddhist in person. Yet!

I've met pagans from many traditions; mostly Wiccans, who I've worked ritual with, some Hellenists, Asatru, Romuva, and Rodnovery. Most pagans I'm around nowadays are Western Hermetic Occultists or Wiccans of some variety. I've met all types from stereotypes to people who remind me exactly of myself and everyone in between. They can be a real eclectic bunch but I get along with many of them.

Never met any Zoroastrians, Taoists, Shintoists or Baha'i in person. Yet!

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh Buddhists.. I grew up with some good Cambodian friends who were Buddhists.

How can I forget them, lol. Although never seemed to talk about it ever. Sadly mainly cause it would probably cause negative attention to themselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristianFromKazakhstan

Oct 9, 2016
ALMATY
✟29,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I spent a lot of time around Catholics since I was brought up Catholic. In protestantism I know mostly Lutherans and Baptists with a smattering of Methodists in there. I haven't had any experience meeting anyone of the Orthodox faith which sucks because I found it really fascinating for a long time but didn't really have anyone to talk to about it. I've met lots of Mormons since I grew up in somewhat of a hotspot for them. They are pretty straight-laced and its hard to tell if their kindness is genuine but some that I went to school with are straight-shooters and still active friends. I have never met a Jehovah's Witness.

I know a few Jews but they really keep to themselves about their faith. One is Reformed and one is Conservative. They're sparse around here.

I met a few Muslims in college but am not in regular contact with any currently. There are some at my workplace because of a large south Asian presence in the workforce but they tend to not be real open about their faith, which is fairly typical in that kind of technical environment.

I spend a lot of time around Hindus, though. A lot of that has to do with my offshore contracting firm using a lot of folks from India and Bangladesh as is the nature of software development. They're very pleasant and are willing to talk religion if it is brought up. I have lots of questions and have been regaled with many answers, I enjoy talking to them quite a bit. At work we celebrate Diwali along with the Christian and Jewish holidays around the end of the year. It's a lot of fun and is guaranteed good food for me.

That I can think of, I have never met a Buddhist in person. Yet!

I've met pagans from many traditions; mostly Wiccans, who I've worked ritual with, some Hellenists, Asatru, Romuva, and Rodnovery. Most pagans I'm around nowadays are Western Hermetic Occultists or Wiccans of some variety. I've met all types from stereotypes to people who remind me exactly of myself and everyone in between. They can be a real eclectic bunch but I get along with many of them.

Never met any Zoroastrians, Taoists, Shintoists or Baha'i in person. Yet!

Would you call a Shamanist pagan, no? Many Shamanists in my part of the word

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
In my younger days I used to meet neo-pagans fairly often. They'd talk about it sometimes but it was usually like a girl telling me she was the Most Exalted High Priestess of something or other. I didn't really take it seriously enough to pay much attention.

In my area "high priest" or "high priestess" usually just referred to whomever happened to be conducting a religious event at the time and the title was only valid during that time. I'd be wary of anyone throwing around fancy adjectives, too.

Reactions: Zoness
Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Let's see, to clarify, neo-paganism is not to be conflated with mental illness .
Sikh, Wiccan Shaman, Jehovah Witness, Mormons, Muslim, Dianic goddess worshipers, Wiccan's, Satanists, Luciferians, atheists*(*some years ago atheism was declared a religion by a court which is why I've included that) , Asatru, Vodouists,a Hoodoist. And a Pastafarian. Yes, a Pastafarian. Bless his little angel hair. :holy:^_^

That's about it off the top of my head. But it's late. If I remember others I'll edit.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Would you call a Shamanist pagan, no? Many Shamanists in my part of the word

Probably, since pagan is a blanket term. I have not met any Shamanists however, I think just due to demographic circumstance.

Upvote 0

ChristianFromKazakhstan

Oct 9, 2016
ALMATY
✟29,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Probably, since pagan is a blanket term. I have not met any Shamanists however, I think just due to demographic circumstance.

OK, thank you. BTW I've seen some powerful stuff done by Shamans. Would never believe if not seen myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hard to say, people are usually not very into religion here.

Really, mainly Christians, Muslims and atheists (many whom won't use the "A" word for some reason.. lol)

The Muslims are pretty friendly, most are of Somali origin. I'm not sure about others, but when I think of Muslims I tend to think of Africans. The sight of an Arab Muslim is pretty rare here. Lol. The Muslims seem to be more into their faith than Christians, and often like talking about religion. I've never had a bad experience with one yet.
The Muslims in my country are mostly Maleiers - descendants of Dutch slaves brought from Malaysia and of mixed-race - Indian or more recent Black African or Somali immigrants. An Arab Muslim is as scarce as hen's teeth.

In my experience they are very open and love to talk about their religion and comparing it to others. I think Muslims in the US are the oddity where they keep more to themselves, perhaps because of prejudice or because there are fewer of them.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I think it's easier on the internet because on forums like these people are here to talk about their religion, they wouldn't be here if they didn't want to, but in real life you have no way of knowing until you bring it up, which can be awkward when they don't want to talk. Or possibly they would want to talk sometime, but they're maybe not in the mood, whereas online you only start talking if and when you want to.

I've known lots of Jews, never tried to talked religion except with one. He just loaned me a book by a rabbi which was a lengthy criticism of St. Paul. It wasn't very good. I gave it back, said thanks and didn't try to discuss anything further.

Muslims I've known will not talk about anything but on the most superficial level. Beyond that, trying to touch on anything important, they want to simply stop the conversation.

I've got one Jehovah's Witness hall about a mile east of me and another just 2 miles west of me, so I get double-teamed. They're knocking on the door all the time. They're also very reluctant to talk, so I just hand them Orthodox pamphlets when they hand me their pamphlets. Once they refused to take mine, and told me they're not allowed to accept literature from anyone.

In my experience it is easier to write about your religion on the internet, but I am not sure if dialogue is easier. People on the internet seem more willing to fight with each other or disparage one another, likely since they are somewhat depersonalised as opposed to a human standing in front of you.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Whom have you met in the flesh? We see all kinds on the internet, but what groups have you seen and talked to in real life, especcially on religious issues?

Where I live there are many Mosques, Temples, Synagogues, Churches and our community has become much more cosmopolitan than it was when I was a child... As we are a Baha'i family I wanted my children to experience some of the flavor and become appreciative of other religions so I took them to Mosques, Synagogues and Buddhist and Hindu Temples as well as Sikh Temples. We also have a Jain community where I live so we had Jains instructing us on Yoga techniques.

I also instructed Yoga at a Hindu temple and later at a community center.

Being involved with a local Interfaith Council I am frequently meeting people of all Faiths and volunteered to visit patients at our Community Hospital. I attended an Open Mosque earlier today and had my name written in Arabic Calligraphy. We also have had World Religion Day and invited Zoroastrians, Buddhists, Hindus and others to attend... Living in a University town also helps! So where I live we have a very rich inter-faith community that many people truly appreciate!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, Lutheran, Anglican, Methodist, Wesleyan, Dutch Reformed, Amish, Mennonite, Muslim, Shinto Buddhist, Mormons, Jehovah Witness, Pentecostal, Baptist, Rastafarian, Jews.

Upvote 0