Which of your doctrines require church tradition?

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Which faith traditions are you talking about?
Whichever one you are a member of.

When I read scripture I find the exact opposite is true.
I'm not surprised, since you are reading Scripture through that lens of your faith tradition.

The actual baptising is physically done by a man, so do you mean the declaring of the infant a child of God?
Actually there is no declaring being made, God adopts you as His child. The minister of the Baptism doesn't make the declaring. In fact the minister, is acting in the Person of Christ, in the application of the Sacrament.

Also, if someone is baptized as an infant do they need to be baptized again as an adult for any reason?
No.

So they went to hell despite being a child of God?
If anyone rejects God before their death, they will die separate from Him. Just because you are a child of God, doesn't mean that you no longer have free will. It is just like if one of my sons, decided one day that he no longer wanted to have a relationship with me. He can leave, never talk to me again, have have anything to do with me ever again, but he still is my son. A father is not going to force His adult children to have a relationship with Him, but rather He will respect their wishes.

Why is it silent on this matter?
Because what happens to unbaptized infants, was never explicitly revealed to us, through either the Prophets, Christ or His Apostles; and one cannot explicitly deduce from the rest of the Deposit of Faith, to make a conclusive decision on the matter. The fact is we just don't know and will not know, until God reveals that knowledge to us; which will only occur in heaven.

And why are there Catholics who believe they go to this place called limbo?
Limbo is what is called a theological opinion. Which means that it is possible, but cannot be conclusively proven one way or the other. Another theological opinion, is that God will have mercy on unbaptized infants, and bring them into His grace. Both of these opinions have merit, but they also have significant issues as well. Catholics are free to accept either, or one of the other theological opinions out there as long as it doesn't violate a doctrine. Me personally I don't accept any of these opinions, and have concluded, that there is really something that I don't need to be concerned with. When God calls me home (and hopefully my lamp is still lit), maybe I will learn then, but until then I have many other things to worry about.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Exactly, If one had children. So prove that one of the households mentioned in Acts had Children to prove that children were baptized.
Better, prove that they didn't.
By the way I am specifically talking about infants (from the Latin word infans, meaning "unable to speak" or "speechless")
which would be a child between the age of one month to up to 2 years of age.
Regardless of the definition, baptism is called, by Paul, the substitute for circumcision, which is typically done at age 8 days.
Okay, chapter and verse please.
Done that, you don't accept it.
I'm glad you recognize that, that would be an argument from silence. Good thing I never made that argument.
What you don't seem to realize is that the opposite argument, your argument, is also arguing from silence. It never says children or infants included.
So is it a bad thing to baptize infants, given that it replaces circumcision, which was done for infants?
I've shown you that you've been using the argument from silence, as shown above.
And I've shown you (collective) use argument from silence, as well.
Actually Christ is the entry into Christianity

Actually the thief knew quite a bit about Jesus. He knew Jesus claimed or at least others claimed he was king of the Jews.
Above his head they placed the written charge against him: this is Jesus, the king of the Jews. Matthew 27:37

He also knew from the people mocking Jesus that Jesus claimed to be the Son of God and that he would rebuild the temple in three days.
and saying, "You who are going to destroy the temple and build it in three days, save yourself! Come down from the cross, if you are the Son of God!"
Matthew 27:40

He truly believed Jesus was a king, otherwise he would not have asked to be remembered in His kingdom.

So your claim that he didn't know anything is not true.
He didn't know much, in fact, we could argue that he was just hopeful that Christ was who he said he was. But you're getting away from the point. Even someone ignorant of Christ can be baptized and saved by said baptism. Mentally handicapped come to mind.
No, that's not what I think.
So baptism saves you? Removes the stain of original sin? What does baptism do for someone?
What is this unremovable mark?
Ask the Holy Spirit.
I guess the thief on the cross never entered heaven then.
That's not what it says.

Mundane does not mean unnecessary.
Jesus offers us spiritual food. He offers us spiritual bread, if we eat we receive eternal life and spiritual water if we drink we will never thirst. John 6:34-35, John 4:10-14
Compared to the spiritual food Jesus offers us , physical food is mundane. i.e. common, banal,

"of or relating to this world or earth as contrasted with heaven; worldly; earthly:"

See link below

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mundane
[/quote] Funny you should use John 6...I know what mundane means.
What does baptism protect an infant from?
It removes the stain of original sin from the baptized, as well as any sins committed prior to baptism. By our definition, an infant would have none of those.

Acts 4:4 says nothing about there being women and children, only men. So you can't just presume there were women and children just because that is what you believe must have happened.

You're reading your own ideas into the scriptures, which is eisegesis.
It's not my ideas. It's the ideas of the early Church Fathers. You can't presume there weren't women and children present.
You're getting childish, now. No, you! No, you!
It seems like you don't have to in any of the cases I've given you. You just seem to be saying 'it must have happened..... therefore it happened!' That's not a good argument.
That's not the argument. We have the witness of those who were present, or who were taught by those who were present.
Exactly, not all cases, and you don't know this wasn't one of those cases.
Yes we do, from those who witnessed it.
I agree, but the Scriptures never says ALSO Infants, either. Both are arguments from silence.
You know, if we had only Scripture, you might think so. But we don't have only Scripture.
[qutoe]

How do you know it was mostly adults?
[/quote] Because I know how to read.
We have only four examples of households being converted.
And others where crowds were being converted.
Jesus himself taught the opposite would be true.
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. Matthew 10:34-36
Sure, but that doesn't mean that many households weren't in harmony.

Upvote 0

MrMoe

Part-Time Breatharian
Sep 13, 2011
Moe's Tavern
✟144,635.00
Faith
Christian
Whichever one you are a member of.

I'm not member of any Church denomination.

I'm not surprised, since you are reading Scripture through that lens of your faith tradition.

See above. This would also apply to you.

Actually there is no declaring being made, God adopts you as His child. The minister of the Baptism doesn't make the declaring.

But does God? If He adopts you as His child then he has basically declared you His child.

In fact the minister, is acting in the Person of Christ, in the application of the Sacrament.

What do you mean he is acting in the Person of Christ? Does he become a substitute Christ?

Ok.

What did Jesus mean when he said "it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." before his baptism?

If anyone rejects God before their death, they will die separate from Him. Just because you are a child of God, doesn't mean that you no longer have free will. It is just like if one of my sons, decided one day that he no longer wanted to have a relationship with me. He can leave, never talk to me again, have have anything to do with me ever again, but he still is my son. A father is not going to force His adult children to have a relationship with Him, but rather He will respect their wishes.

There are no children of God in hell, only children of devil.

Limbo is what is called a theological opinion. Which means that it is possible, but cannot be conclusively proven one way or the other. Another theological opinion, is that God will have mercy on unbaptized infants, and bring them into His grace. Both of these opinions have merit, but they also have significant issues as well.

So basically this means this could possibly be a man made tradition.

Catholics are free to accept either, or one of the other theological opinions out there as long as it doesn't violate a doctrine. Me personally I don't accept any of these opinions, and have concluded, that there is really something that I don't need to be concerned with. When God calls me home (and hopefully my lamp is still lit), maybe I will learn then, but until then I have many other things to worry about.

So Catholics can belief whatever they want as long as it doesn't go against Catholic teaching?

Upvote 0

MrMoe

Part-Time Breatharian
Sep 13, 2011
Moe's Tavern
✟144,635.00
Faith
Christian
Better, prove that they didn't.

You're dodging here. Also I can't, because I would be arguing from silence.

Regardless of the definition, baptism is called, by Paul, the substitute for circumcision, which is typically done at age 8 days.

Paul never said baptism was the substitute for circumcision.

Done that, you don't accept it.

No you haven't.

So is it a bad thing to baptize infants, given that it replaces circumcision, which was done for infants?

Circumcision was a sign of the covenant made by God with Abraham and was only done to males. Baptism is a sign that a person has accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and is never shown to be done to infants but to adults of both genders. Not the same, so you can't say it replaces circumcision.

And I've shown you (collective) use argument from silence, as well.

That's pretty amazing since I never even used any arguments from silence only been pointing out yours. You even tried to make me commit an argument from silence in your first sentence. Not sure if that was intentional.

You've also basically admitted here to using arguments from silence yourself. At least you're honest.

He didn't know much,

I've just showed you that he did. He knew Jesus said he was the Son of God. That encompasses everything that Jesus is.

in fact, we could argue that he was just hopeful that Christ was who he said he was.

You could argue that, but once again you would be arguing from silence. The thief asked Jesus to be remembered in His Kingdom and Jesus said he would be with Him in His paradise. Jesus knew the thief's heart, as Scripture demonstrate.

But you're getting away from the point. Even someone ignorant of Christ can be baptized and saved by said baptism.

No, the person needs to believe in Jesus then be baptized. Regeneration happens before, not during or after baptism.
This is the consistent theme throughout the NT.

Mentally handicapped come to mind.

Even some mentally handicapped can understand the gospel.

So baptism saves you?

Jesus saves you.

Removes the stain of original sin?

Removal of all sin.

What does baptism do for someone?

It is an outward expression of an inward change.

Ask the Holy Spirit.

I'm asking you.

Anyway I can't trust the Holy Spirit to give me an infallible revelation because apparently He only gives infallible revelations to the Roman Catholic magisterium and the pope.

That's not what it says.

No that's what you are saying: "Baptism saves you, removes the stain of original sin, without which you cannot enter heaven." The thief on the cross wasn't baptised so by your own reasoning the thief could not have entered heaven.

Funny you should use John 6...I know what mundane means.

If you know what mundane means why did you say: "If you don't feed a child properly, he will die."? The word mundane has nothing to do with malnutrition.

It removes the stain of original sin from the baptized, as well as any sins committed prior to baptism. By our definition, an infant would have none of those.

So you believe infants can sin?

It's not my ideas. It's the ideas of the early Church Fathers.

Which you have adopted.

You can't presume there weren't women and children present.

And you can't presume that there were.

You're getting childish, now. No, you! No, you!

Not being childish, just pointing out the obvious.

That's not the argument. We have the witness of those who were present, or who were taught by those who were present.

So who witnessed the women and children being baptised in Acts 4:4?

Yes we do, from those who witnessed it.

So who witness infants being baptised in Acts 16:15?

You know, if we had only Scripture, you might think so. But we don't have only Scripture.

I know, tradition, but we're not talking about tradition here, were talking about scripture and what the scriptures say or in this case doesn't say about infant baptism.

Because I know how to read.

You're dodging the question again. Who's the one being childish.

How do you know it was mostly adults and not only adults in the households mentioned in Acts?

And others where crowds were being converted.

Sure but that doesn't automatically prove the apostles were practising infant baptism.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that many households weren't in harmony.

How do you know?

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not member of any Church denomination.
Ok, the internet then. Look the stuff you are stating, isn't something that has come out of thin air. You learned your viewpoints from somewhere, perhaps a previous denomination, or the internet, or someone you know.

In all honesty there does seem to be a larger group of people, who instead of going to a church, are getting their stuff from the internet only. I truly do find this to be a sad state of affairs, Christianity is meant to be shared in a community.

Mr. Moe, I do highly recommend to you, that if you do not have a church you actively participate in, please find one. My best guess from some of what you wrote, you may want to consider a Baptist church as preferred congregation.

But does God? If He adopts you as His child then he has basically declared you His child.
Yes God declares you as His Child, but also makes you His Child. That is the reason why Baptism is not repeatable.

What do you mean he is acting in the Person of Christ? Does he become a substitute Christ?
The technical term is Persona Christi. It means that Christ works through the person of the minister. For example when it comes to baptism, since we are speaking of this Sacrament, the minister of the Baptism is used by Christ as a conduit by which He (Christ) ministers the Sacrament. Thus in a Baptism, the true minister of the baptism is Christ Himself.

Ok.

What did Jesus mean when he said "it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." before his baptism?
In this it speaks of Jesus although He did not need to repent (which is what John's Baptism was a baptism of repentance only), Jesus still went through Baptism for two reasons: 1) To emphasize its importance and 2) to provide a teaching moment of what true baptism is. Remember what occurred in His Baptism? When He came out of the water the Holy Spirit descended upon Him and the Father called out from heaven saying: "This is my Son, in whom I am well pleased". So for the important of us is that Christian Baptism, which Christ perfected, is not only a baptism of repentance, but also in the Sacrament, the recipient receives the Holy Spirit, and becomes a child of God. This is why the fulfillment of righteousness occurred.

There are no children of God in hell, only children of devil.
Actually the better answer would be: "only those who have rejected God..."

I guess you could call it that, the possibility of limbo has been handed down a few generations. But please remember that limbo is not a doctrine of the Church, but rather a theological opinion. Which means that it is only in the realm of educated speculation.

So Catholics can belief whatever they want as long as it doesn't go against Catholic teaching?
Pretty much yes.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You're dodging here. Also I can't, because I would be arguing from silence.
I'm not dodging. All I'm saying is that infant Baptism is never prohibited, and the Sacred Tradition of the Church has always allowed it. You can't prove otherwise, and our logical conclusion that households included children in many cases is valid.
Paul never said baptism was the substitute for circumcision.
Colossians 2: 11-12
No you haven't.

Circumcision was a sign of the covenant made by God with Abraham and was only done to males. Baptism is a sign that a person has accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and is never shown to be done to infants but to adults of both genders. Not the same, so you can't say it replaces circumcision.
In light of Colossians, I think I've made the case.
That's pretty amazing since I never even used any arguments from silence only been pointing out yours. You even tried to make me commit an argument from silence in your first sentence. Not sure if that was intentional.
You've also basically admitted here to using arguments from silence yourself. At least you're honest.
The arguments are not from silence at all, they're from the Fathers of the Church as well as from the Bible. Baptism is a work of God and not primarily a work of humans. The Church demonstrates its faith in theis work of God by bpatizing infants. We listen to the words of Jesus (Matt 19:13-14)"Let the children come to me, and do not prevent them. Infant baptism is a fact of the Church because it is based on the concept of vicarious faith-the idea that the faith of one person can stand in fo and benefit another. For example, Jesus raised Jairus' daughter on the basis of Jairus' faith, not the daughter's. Acts 16:25-34, the apostles acknowledged that the entire household could be saved on the basis of one man's faith. Then they baptized the entire family. There is no logical reason to suppose that the household didn't have children.
I've just showed you that he did. He knew Jesus said he was the Son of God. That encompasses everything that Jesus is.

You could argue that, but once again you would be arguing from silence. The thief asked Jesus to be remembered in His Kingdom and Jesus said he would be with Him in His paradise. Jesus knew the thief's heart, as Scripture demonstrate.

No, the person needs to believe in Jesus then be baptized. Regeneration happens before, not during or after baptism.
This is the consistent theme throughout the NT.

Even some mentally handicapped can understand the gospel.
So it's OK for you to claim some can and some can't but it's not ok for me. I get it, now.
Jesus saves you.
As above, Baptism is a work of God, so we said the same thing.
Removal of all sin.
So once you're baptized, you can never sin again? Amazing!

It is an outward expression of an inward change.

I'm asking you.

Anyway I can't trust the Holy Spirit to give me an infallible revelation because apparently He only gives infallible revelations to the Roman Catholic magisterium and the pope.
I never said that.

No that's what you are saying: "Baptism saves you, removes the stain of original sin, without which you cannot enter heaven." The thief on the cross wasn't baptised so by your own reasoning the thief could not have entered heaven.
No, there's the baptism of desire, too. God IS Merciful.

If you know what mundane means why did you say: "If you don't feed a child properly, he will die."? The word mundane has nothing to do with malnutrition.
Did I say something that's not true? Not feeding a child properly and killing him is serious. So, we believe, is not baptizing a child. In fact, the Early Church wondered whether they should wait until the eighth day.
So you believe infants can sin?
No, I don't, which refutes your Romans "All have sinned and fall short..." Neither can severely mentally handicapped. But they all STILL have Original Sin, which is removed by baptism.
Which you have adopted.
After serious study, yes.
And you can't presume that there were.
From logic, yes we can.
Not being childish, just pointing out the obvious.

So who witnessed the women and children being baptised in Acts 4:4?

So who witness infants being baptised in Acts 16:15?
To answer both questions, the Holy Spirit, who conferred the information on the Church Fathers, and the Third Council of Carthage in 254. Considering that Christianity wasn't legal, that the Bible speaks only of the first generation of the Christian Church, which would be mostly adult, we have to rely on the second generation and past.
I know, tradition, but we're not talking about tradition here, were talking about scripture and what the scriptures say or in this case doesn't say about infant baptism.
I will never try to limit God's Word to what's written in the Bible. Sorry.
You're dodging the question again. Who's the one being childish.

How do you know it was mostly adults and not only adults in the households mentioned in Acts?

Sure but that doesn't automatically prove the apostles were practising infant baptism.
No, but we have it from our forefathers that they were. In fact, many of those who wrote after the apostles were taught as children by the apostles, and were baptized by them.
How do you know?
See above.

Upvote 0

MrMoe

Part-Time Breatharian
Sep 13, 2011
Moe's Tavern
✟144,635.00
Faith
Christian
Ok, the internet then.

My beliefs don't come from the internet. I get my info about biblical history, meaning of words and stuff like that.

Look the stuff you are stating, isn't something that has come out of thin air. You learned your viewpoints from somewhere, perhaps a previous denomination, or the internet, or someone you know.

Yes, the bible.

In all honesty there does seem to be a larger group of people, who instead of going to a church, are getting their stuff from the internet only. I truly do find this to be a sad state of affairs, Christianity is meant to be shared in a community.

Well CF is a community and that is what the church is, the body of believers.

Mr. Moe, I do highly recommend to you, that if you do not have a church you actively participate in, please find one. My best guess from some of what you wrote, you may want to consider a Baptist church as preferred congregation.

I've been thinking of going back to church and a Baptist church sounds like a good idea.

The technical term is Persona Christi. It means that Christ works through the person of the minister. For example when it comes to baptism, since we are speaking of this Sacrament, the minister of the Baptism is used by Christ as a conduit by which He (Christ) ministers the Sacrament. Thus in a Baptism, the true minister of the baptism is Christ Himself.

But how do you know this is what happens? John the Baptist baptised Jesus, so does this mean Jesus baptised himself?

In this it speaks of Jesus although He did not need to repent (which is what John's Baptism was a baptism of repentance only), Jesus still went through Baptism for two reasons: 1) To emphasize its importance and 2) to provide a teaching moment of what true baptism is. Remember what occurred in His Baptism? When He came out of the water the Holy Spirit descended upon Him and the Father called out from heaven saying: "This is my Son, in whom I am well pleased". So for the important of us is that Christian Baptism, which Christ perfected, is not only a baptism of repentance, but also in the Sacrament, the recipient receives the Holy Spirit, and becomes a child of God. This is why the fulfillment of righteousness occurred.
Yes God declares you as His Child, but also makes you His Child. That is the reason why Baptism is not repeatable.

I agree. But does that mean Jesus wasn't baptised as an infant? How then could he have fulfilled all righteousness if he didn't demonstrate the importance of infant baptism?

Actually the better answer would be: "only those who have rejected God..."

An even better answer would be: "Only those who are not children of God, reject God."

I guess you could call it that, the possibility of limbo has been handed down a few generations. But please remember that limbo is not a doctrine of the Church, but rather a theological opinion. Which means that it is only in the realm of educated speculation.

So if it's possible that it is a man-made tradition then there's the possibility that there is no consequence to
not baptising an infant.

Pretty much yes.

Hmmm, I dunno, that sounds kind of irresponsible.

Upvote 0

MrMoe

Part-Time Breatharian
Sep 13, 2011
Moe's Tavern
✟144,635.00
Faith
Christian
I'm not dodging. All I'm saying is that infant Baptism is never prohibited, and the Sacred Tradition of the Church has always allowed it. You can't prove otherwise, and our logical conclusion that households included children in many cases is valid.

Just because it was never prohibited doesn't make it right.

Paul never says baptism is a replacement for circumcision in those verses. He is making a comparison between spiritual circumcision (circumsion of the heart) and baptism, which are both in Christ.

In light of Colossians, I think I've made the case.

No you haven't.

The arguments are not from silence at all, they're from the Fathers of the Church

The fathers believed different things and were not infallible like the scripture.

The Scriptures >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Early Church Fathers

as well as from the Bible.

No, infant baptism cannot be found anywhere in the bible.

Catholic professor of theology, Haegelbacher, writes, "This controversy has shown that it is not possible to bring in absolute proof of infant baptism by basing one's argument on the Bible."

A German theologian named Friedrich Schleiermacher, wrote, “All traces of infant baptism which are asserted to be found in the New Testament must first be inserted there.”

So if these theologians say infant baptism is eisegesis then you have no credible argument for infant baptism being in the bible.

Baptism is a work of God and not primarily a work of humans.

God's work happens before baptism, baptism is the physical work of humans to glorify God's work.

We listen to the words of Jesus (Matt 19:13-14)"Let the children come to me, and do not prevent them.

Mark 10 expands on this: And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them. But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased,

Matt 19:13-14 is simply about the disciples trying to physically stop children coming to Jesus. This has nothing to do with infant baptism.
In fact it says Jesus placed his hands on them and blessed them but says nothing about baptising them. Jesus and the scriptures silence on Infant baptism is deafening.

Infant baptism is a fact of the Church because it is based on the concept of vicarious faith-the idea that the faith of one person can stand in fo and benefit another.

Someone's salvation cannot automatically save someone else. They need to get saved themselves.

For example, Jesus raised Jairus' daughter on the basis of Jairus' faith, not the daughter's.

This makes no sense. Of course Jesus wouldn't have raised for the daughter's faith, she was dead!

Acts 16:25-34, the apostles acknowledged that the entire household could be saved on the basis of one man's faith. Then they baptized the entire family.

The end of Acts 16:34 Cleary states that his whole household believed.

So you believe because that one man had faith and his entire family could have lived like devils, getting drunk, fornicating, but they would have still been saved?! That's horrible theology.

There is no logical reason to suppose that the household didn't have children.

This is not true, there are several logical reasons.

. They were newly married and had no children yet.

. They were incapable of having children.

. All their children were now adults.

As above, Baptism is a work of God, so we said the same thing.

No, the work of God has already happened if you are being baptised. Baptism is a physical act done by man to signify a spiritual change inside.

So once you're baptized, you can never sin again? Amazing!

I never said, "you never sin again." You're putting words in my mouth.

And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord. Acts 22:16

Acts 22: 16 is not talking about one specific sin which you are talking about (Original sin) It is talking about sins in general, which is what I meant by all sins.

I never said that.

Which part? You quoted a whole section of text.

No, there's the baptism of desire, too. God IS Merciful.

There is only one baptism in scripture. There are those who are baptised and there are those who are not baptised. There is no in-between.

This is like the "big S Saint" and "little s saint" thing. the Catholic church has invented an entire new category that does not exist in scripture.

Did I say something that's not true?

You said: "Not mundane. If you don't feed a child properly, he will die." Post #852. You seem to be saying mundane meant not feeding a child properly, which is not true.

Not feeding a child properly and killing him is serious.

I know.

So, we believe, is not baptizing a child.

You believe not baptising an infant will kill them?(!)

No, I don't, which refutes your Romans "All have sinned and fall short..."

Actually science has shown babies can deceive and manipulate their parents.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...-lie-before-they-learn-to-talk/article570435/

Neither can severely mentally handicapped.

Yes they can, they just may not be aware what they did was wrong.

But they all STILL have Original Sin, which is removed by baptism.

They still have original sin which would mean they fall short of the glory of God which would mean this proves Romans.

After serious study, yes.
From logic, yes we can.

Using logical fallacies (which you have admitted to) is the opposite of using logic.

To answer both questions, the Holy Spirit, who conferred the information on the Church Fathers, and the Third Council of Carthage in 254.

So show me this information. and those who were present in Acts 4:4 that were also present that were also present at the Third council of Carthage.

Considering that Christianity wasn't legal, that the Bible speaks only of the first generation of the Christian Church,

What does it matter if it was illegal, we still have the scriptures.

which would be mostly adult,

Again, how do you know it was mostly and not only adults?

we have to rely on the second generation and past.

No we don't.

I will never try to limit God's Word to what's written in the Bible. Sorry.

Lots of other people have done the same as you and have fallen into cults.

No, but we have it from our forefathers that they were. In fact, many of those who wrote after the apostles were taught as children by the apostles, and were baptized by them.
See above.

' The host of German and front ranked theologues and scholars of the church of England, the Church of England, the Anglican Church, which believes in infant baptism, a host of their scholars have united to affirm, not only the absence of infant baptism from the New Testament, but from apostolic and post apostolic times. It isn't in the New Testament and it didn't exist in the earliest church. They believe it arose around the second or third century. Lutheran professor, Kurt Aland, after intensive study of infant baptism says, "There is no definite proof of the practice until after the third century," and he says, "This cannot be contested."

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My beliefs don't come from the internet. I get my info about biblical history, meaning of words and stuff like that.
Ok the where then? Where are you getting your info about Biblical history, word meanings and stuff like that?

Yes, the bible.
The problem is the Bible don't teach some of the stuff you are stating. So it cannot be the only source.

Well CF is a community and that is what the church is, the body of believers.
Yes it is a community, to a point; but you really need to be part of a real community. That cannot be under emphasized.

I've been thinking of going back to church and a Baptist church sounds like a good idea.
Go this Sunday.

But how do you know this is what happens? John the Baptist baptised Jesus, so does this mean Jesus baptised himself?
John's Baptism and Jesus' are not the same.

I agree. But does that mean Jesus wasn't baptised as an infant? How then could he have fulfilled all righteousness if he didn't demonstrate the importance of infant baptism?
Jesus' Baptism was a teaching moment, more than anything. Jesus did not need to be Baptized, but he was Baptized to show us the importance of the Sacrament to the New Covenant.

An even better answer would be: "Only those who are not children of God, reject God."
No, it wouldn't be a better answer. That would denote that we do not have any free will. There are way too many passages in Scripture where God calls people to repentance. If we are already determined, then why make the call?

So if it's possible that it is a man-made tradition then there's the possibility that there is no consequence to
not baptising an infant.
since it isn't a man-made tradition, we don't have that problem.

Hmmm, I dunno, that sounds kind of irresponsible.
Why would it? We are free to come to our own conclusions, if we so wish, as long as they do not contradict Divine Revelation.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Just because it was never prohibited doesn't make it right.
So, it must be in Scripture to be right? Polygamy is in Scripture, Adultery and murder were committed by 'a man after God's own heart'. That doesn't mean they're right. So if a practice contradicts Scripture, it would be wrong, but if something, like Baptism, is in Scripture, why do you suppose it's to be reserved for only some? After all, Jesus did say "let the little children come unto me."
Paul never says baptism is a replacement for circumcision in those verses. He is making a comparison between spiritual circumcision (circumsion of the heart) and baptism, which are both in Christ.
There's a lot of things you read into Scripture which aren't there, like baptism being reserved for adults only...But you know, the Church Fathers knew that baptism and circumcision were analagous, but the importance of baptism, they wondered why wait 8 days.
No you haven't.

The fathers believed different things and were not infallible like the scripture.

The Scriptures >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Early Church Fathers
Where the Fathers agreed with the Church, they were infallible. Scripture often contradicts itself without an authority to comprehend it.
Neither can baptism being reserved for adults only.
Catholic professor of theology, Haegelbacher, writes, "This controversy has shown that it is not possible to bring in absolute proof of infant baptism by basing one's argument on the Bible."

A German theologian named Friedrich Schleiermacher, wrote, “All traces of infant baptism which are asserted to be found in the New Testament must first be inserted there.”
I researched these two and found them only in the article you copied and pasted from. And as you've noted, professors of theology aren't infallible.
So if these theologians say infant baptism is eisegesis then you have no credible argument for infant baptism being in the bible.
I never said it's in the Bible, I said it's not contraindicated.
God's work happens before baptism, baptism is the physical work of humans to glorify God's work.
Is that why the Holy Spirit came down when Jesus was baptized? Baptism is God's work through man.
Mark 10 expands on this: And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them. But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased,
Matt 19:13-14 is simply about the disciples trying to physically stop children coming to Jesus. This has nothing to do with infant baptism.
In fact it says Jesus placed his hands on them and blessed them but says nothing about baptising them. Jesus and the scriptures silence on Infant baptism is deafening.

Right. Jesus didn't want children excluded.
Someone's salvation cannot automatically save someone else. They need to get saved themselves.
Right. That's why we form children to their adulthood with CCD and confirmation.
This makes no sense. Of course Jesus wouldn't have raised for the daughter's faith, she was dead!
In almost every case, Jesus saved people who performed an act of faith themselves. In fact, if someone didn't perform an act of faith, Jesus didn't heal them. In the case of Jairus' daughter, she had no faith that we know of, but the father performed the act of faith in her stead. Vicarious faith does work.
The end of Acts 16:34 Cleary states that his whole household believed.

So you believe because that one man had faith and his entire family could have lived like devils, getting drunk, fornicating, but they would have still been saved?! That's horrible theology.
But that's not what's written in Scripture, is it...in fact, that's nowhere in Scripture. Also, we believe that salvation is something that happens day by day until we die. So someone can be baptized, and yet still commit sins and need forgiveness. Salvation is life-long work.
This is not true, there are several logical reasons.

. They were newly married and had no children yet.

. They were incapable of having children.

. All their children were now adults.
So what percentage of those, would you say, had one or many of these conditions?
No, the work of God has already happened if you are being baptised. Baptism is a physical act done by man to signify a spiritual change inside.
So God doesn't still work, eh? And it seems like you're saying, if you get baptized, that God is done with you, and you'll never sin again. Obviously, your denomination has changed the understanding of baptism.
I never said, "you never sin again." You're putting words in my mouth.
It sure sounded like it!
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord. Acts 22:16

Acts 22: 16 is not talking about one specific sin which you are talking about (Original sin) It is talking about sins in general, which is what I meant by all sins.
Right. Baptism takes away all sin you've committed up to the time you're baptized.
Which part? You quoted a whole section of text.

There is only one baptism in scripture. There are those who are baptised and there are those who are not baptised. There is no in-between.

This is like the "big S Saint" and "little s saint" thing. the Catholic church has invented an entire new category that does not exist in scripture.
You need to understand that we don't go by Scripture alone. The thief on the cross desired to go to His kingdom, and he received the baptism of desire. (S)aints are those declared by God to be in heaven, saints on earth are striving to go to heaven. That's the difference-there are, also, many undeclared saints in heaven-we don't know everyone who's there.
You said: "Not mundane. If you don't feed a child properly, he will die." Post #852. You seem to be saying mundane meant not feeding a child properly, which is not true.
Duh.
I know.

You believe not baptising an infant will kill them?(!)
Spiritually.
Actually science has shown babies can deceive and manipulate their parents.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...-lie-before-they-learn-to-talk/article570435/
I don't go by modern science-it's outside of my faith.
Yes they can, they just may not be aware what they did was wrong.
In which case it's not a sin you're responsible for.
They still have original sin which would mean they fall short of the glory of God which would mean this proves Romans.
Which is why we baptize infants.
Using logical fallacies (which you have admitted to) is the opposite of using logic.

So show me this information. and those who were present in Acts 4:4 that were also present that were also present at the Third council of Carthage.
The Holy Spirit was present in both cases. I've pointed you to the Council, you can go research.
What does it matter if it was illegal, we still have the scriptures.
Which only speaks of the first generation of Christians, which would be mostly adults.
Again, how do you know it was mostly and not only adults?
Because, logically, men and women and families, which can include children (when you're not arguing from exceptions), are documented.
No we don't.
So you ignore 1500 years, and more, of history.
Lots of other people have done the same as you and have fallen into cults.
Just gotta know who to trust. Knowing my faith is important.
' The host of German and front ranked theologues and scholars of the church of England, the Church of England, the Anglican Church, which believes in infant baptism, a host of their scholars have united to affirm, not only the absence of infant baptism from the New Testament, but from apostolic and post apostolic times. It isn't in the New Testament and it didn't exist in the earliest church. They believe it arose around the second or third century. Lutheran professor, Kurt Aland, after intensive study of infant baptism says, "There is no definite proof of the practice until after the third century," and he says, "This cannot be contested."
Ah, copying and pasting again. I read that in the original article. Not convincing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MrMoe

Part-Time Breatharian
Sep 13, 2011
Moe's Tavern
✟144,635.00
Faith
Christian
Ok the where then? Where are you getting your info about Biblical history, word meanings and stuff like that?

I told you, the internet.

The problem is the Bible don't teach some of the stuff you are stating. So it cannot be the only source.

Can you give me an example of something I've stated that's not in the bible.

Yes it is a community, to a point; but you really need to be part of a real community. That cannot be under emphasized.

I know...

Go this Sunday.

Lol, you seem pretty eager to get me to church even if it is the wrong church according to Catholics.

John's Baptism and Jesus' are not the same.

I know, but as you said:
the minister of the Baptism is used by Christ as a conduit by which He (Christ) ministers the Sacrament. Thus in a Baptism, the true minister of the baptism is Christ Himself.

So if the minister of the baptism is used by Christ as a conduit by Christ himself, the true minister being Christ himself, then that means at his baptism Jesus was essentially baptizing himself.

Jesus' Baptism was a teaching moment, more than anything. Jesus did not need to be Baptized, but he was Baptized to show us the importance of the Sacrament to the New Covenant.

That still doesn't explain why Jesus wasn't baptised as an infant. If infant baptism is an important part of the new sacrament why wasn't he baptised as an infant?

No, it wouldn't be a better answer. That would denote that we do not have any free will. There are way too many passages in Scripture where God calls people to repentance. If we are already determined, then why make the call?

No that wouldn't mean that we don't have free will, it would mean they were not true children of God in the first place.

They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us. 1 John 2:19

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Matthew 7:22-23

God calls people to repentance, and to do that they need to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. As Jesus Himself said, no one goes to the Father except through him.

since it isn't a man-made tradition, we don't have that problem.

You admitted to me that limbo could possibly be a man made tradition.

So now you're saying there is no possibility that limbo is a man made tradition?

Why would it? We are free to come to our own conclusions, if we so wish, as long as they do not contradict Divine Revelation.

That's the problem. You're conclusion could be wrong. What the Catholic Church is basically saying is it could be wrong, but as long as it doesn't contradict what we have said it's fine to believe.

Upvote 0

MrMoe

Part-Time Breatharian
Sep 13, 2011
Moe's Tavern
✟144,635.00
Faith
Christian
So, it must be in Scripture to be right?

Nope, not what I was saying.

Satan's own words are in scripture, doesn't make them right.

Polygamy is in Scripture, Adultery and murder were committed by 'a man after God's own heart'. That doesn't mean they're right.

Polygamy is never condoned or condemned in scripture so we can't say if it was right or wrong. King David was chastised for his adultery and murder.

So if a practice contradicts Scripture, it would be wrong, but if something, like Baptism, is in Scripture, why do you suppose it's to be reserved for only some?

So if a minister were to baptise, for example Charles Manson, if Manson said he didn't believe in Jesus and hated God but would allow the minister to baptise him, does that mean Charles Manson would be saved by baptism?

Baptism should be reserved only to believers.

After all, Jesus did say "let the little children come unto me."

Because the apostles were trying to prevent them from physically coming to him. Nothing to do with infant baptism.

There's a lot of things you read into Scripture which aren't there, like baptism being reserved for adults only...

I know. that would be an argument from silence too.

Where the Fathers agreed with the Church, they were infallible.

The church is basically saying "They agree with us therefore they're right." That is circular reasoning.

Scripture often contradicts itself without an authority to comprehend it.

Not true.

Neither can baptism being reserved for adults only.

Never said only adults.

Children who have understanding and can confess Jesus Christ as Lord can be baptised too.
Infants are incapable of this so should not be baptised.

researched these two and found them only in the article you copied and pasted from.

So what?

And as you've noted, professors of theology aren't infallible.

Neither were the early church fathers.

I never said it's in the Bible, I said it's not contraindicated.

This is quote from your post #817
We can be sure that at least one of those households had children and/or infants.

So you either have a bad memory or are being deliberately dishonest. Most of your first posts were you trying to convince me by using arguments from silence that infant baptism had happened in the book of Acts.

Is that why the Holy Spirit came down when Jesus was baptized? Baptism is God's work through man.

Erose said Jesus didn't need to be baptised. So you believe the Holy Spirit comes down at every baptism and appears as a dove?

Right. Jesus didn't want children excluded.

From being blessed. Nothing about being baptised.

In almost every case, Jesus saved people who performed an act of faith themselves. In fact, if someone didn't perform an act of faith, Jesus didn't heal them. In the case of Jairus' daughter, she had no faith that we know of,

So what if she had faith that we don't know of?

but the father performed the act of faith in her stead. Vicarious faith does work.
You need to prove the daughter had no faith of own fist before you can say it was vicarious faith.

But that's not what's written in Scripture, is it...in fact, that's nowhere in Scripture.

Act 16:34 The jailer brought them into his house and set a meal before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God--he and his whole household. NIV

He brought them into his house and set a meal before them, and he and his entire household rejoiced because they all believed in God. NLT

Then he brought them into his home and set a meal before them. So he and all his household rejoiced that they had come to believe in God. BSB

And he brought them into his house and set food before them, and rejoiced greatly, having believed in God with his whole household. NASB

And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house. KJV

You have to do some Olympic gold medal winning mental gymnastics to say it's nowhere in scripture.

Also, we believe that salvation is something that happens day by day until we die.

Wrong word. Sanctification happens day by day until we die. Salvation happens when we confess Christ as Lord as Saviour. That only happens once.

So someone can be baptized, and yet still commit sins and need forgiveness.

This we can agree on because it's biblical.

Salvation is life-long work.

*Sanctification.

So what percentage of those, would you say, had one or many of these conditions?

We would need to do a census of that time and place to make an accurate prediction.

So God doesn't still work, eh? And it seems like you're saying, if you get baptized, that God is done with you, and you'll never sin again.

Not what I was saying.

Obviously, your denomination has changed the understanding of baptism.

I'm not part of any denomination and I would say it's your denomination that has changed the understanding of baptism.
i.e. baptism of desire.

It sure sounded like it!
Right. Baptism takes away all sin you've committed up to the time you're baptized.

Right.

You need to understand that we don't go by Scripture alone.

I know, tradition. But tradition is not trustworthy like scripture.

The thief on the cross desired to go to His kingdom, and he received the baptism of desire.

Baptism means immersion and baptism requires water. Simply desiring something doesn't make it happen. Baptism of desire is a made up baptism.

(S)aints are those declared by God to be in heaven, saints on earth are striving to go to heaven.

The problem is Catholics can't seem to agree if the list of canonized 'S'aints has been infallibly declared.

That's the difference-there are, also, many undeclared saints in heaven-we don't know everyone who's there.

This whole big S little s saints thing isn't in the bible and holds no merit with God since he knows everyone who is in heaven. We are all saints, simple as that.

Then why did you get it so wrong?

Spiritually.

How would an unbaptised infant die spiritually?

I don't go by modern science-it's outside of my faith.

The word science comes from the Latin "scientia," meaning knowledge.

The Book of Daniel prophesied Knowledge would increase in the end times Daniel 12:4

God rejected Israel for rejecting knowledge. Hosea 4:6

So if you call yourself a Christian then science should be very much inside your faith.

In which case it's not a sin you're responsible for.

But still a sin, which was my point.

Which is why we baptize infants.

You're admitting here babies do have sin, which contradicts other Catholics who believe they have no sin.

The Holy Spirit was present in both cases. I've pointed you to the Council, you can go research.

I'm asking about people not the Holy Spirit.

Which only speaks of the first generation of Christians, which would be mostly adults.

You still haven't shown me how you know it was mostly adults.

Because, logically, men and women and families, which can include children (when you're not arguing from exceptions), are documented.

Infants, not children, like I specified to you a few posts ago.

So you ignore 1500 years, and more, of history.

If it's a tradition that that cannot be traced back to the first generation of Christians ever practising it then yes it can be ignored.

Just gotta know who to trust. Knowing my faith is important.

So how do you know who to trust?

Ah, copying and pasting again. I read that in the original article.

What does it matter if it's copy and pasted? Disprove it if it's wrong.

Not convincing.

Why not?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

This is true. It is impossible to bring in "absolute proof" of infant baptism from the Bible. That's speaking about proof, not what's right and correct in itself.

The fact is that the subject of Baptism was in dispute for years after the church was founded, and a number of practices that were once accepted were later discarded, on the basis of Scripture. One of these concerned the age of the candidate for Baptism.

If one presumes that "whole households" did NOT include children--which seems a strange presumption to me--you wouldn't baptize them. However, we'd also have to admit, if we're being straight about this matter, that there is also no "absolute proof" that Baptism should be limited to people of any OTHER age.

What we commonly call "Believer's Baptism" is, in reality, a concept that's based upon even more of a guess than is infant baptism.

Reactions: Erose
Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I told you, the internet.
Which is your church?

Can you give me an example of something I've stated that's not in the bible.
Well you not being a member of a Christian community is definitely one. Your misunderstanding of baptism is another.

Lol, you seem pretty eager to get me to church even if it is the wrong church according to Catholics.
Being a Christian requires you to be part of the family of Christ. You need to go to Church. Catholic Church would be preferred yes, but whatever denomination you go to is by far and away better than setting at home, and separating yourself from your brethren.

I know, but as you said:

So if the minister of the baptism is used by Christ as a conduit by Christ himself, the true minister being Christ himself, then that means at his baptism Jesus was essentially baptizing himself.
You are not understanding me. John's baptism and the Christian one is not the same rite. In Acts when the Apostles found those who only experienced John's baptism, they where Baptized with the Christian rite.

That still doesn't explain why Jesus wasn't baptised as an infant. If infant baptism is an important part of the new sacrament why wasn't he baptised as an infant?
Because Jesus hadn't established the rite as of yet. Jesus was circumcised which placed Him, in the flesh under the Old Covenant. Once Jesus died upon the cross, the New Covenant and the new initiation rite of that covenant was made. St. Paul teaches us in Baptism, we die with Christ, and we rise with Him. Baptism ties us to the cross, making us new creatures in the new covenant. Why would you keep babies from becoming one with Christ and being redeemed by His cross? Or do you believe babies do not need redemption?

No that wouldn't mean that we don't have free will, it would mean they were not true children of God in the first place.
Look if you are unable to accept Jesus and then later reject Him, then you have no free will. You are nothing more than an automaton. No child, only a construct that will follow its hardwiring.

You admitted to me that limbo could possibly be a man made tradition.

So now you're saying there is no possibility that limbo is a man made tradition?
Limbo is a theological opinion. It isn't a man made tradition, because it isn't a practice, nor a doctrine. It's an opinion. Simple as that.

That's the problem. You're conclusion could be wrong. What the Catholic Church is basically saying is it could be wrong, but as long as it doesn't contradict what we have said it's fine to believe.
I don't think you are following me here. What the Church has passed down as the Deposit of Faith, I.e. Divine Revelation, we as Catholics are required to believe those. Those questions that are not covered in the Deposit of Faith, I.e. That which hasn't been revealed to us, then we are allowed to have an opinion, if we so wish. The Catholic Church has never claimed to know absolutely everything. There are many things that for one reason or another God has chosen not to reveal. Many of these are interesting subjects no doubt. We even have St. Paul speculating on what our glorified body will be like, for example. In these matters, the Church is silent, but the inquisitiveness of man is not.

Upvote 0

MrMoe

Part-Time Breatharian
Sep 13, 2011
Moe's Tavern
✟144,635.00
Faith
Christian
Which is your church?

Nope.

Well you not being a member of a Christian community is definitely one.

Can you please quote me where I said not being a member of a church community is in the bible.

Your misunderstanding of baptism is another.

All I believe about baptism comes from the bible. So this is also wrong.

Being a Christian requires you to be part of the family of Christ. You need to go to Church. Catholic Church would be preferred yes, but whatever denomination you go to is by far and away better than setting at home, and separating yourself from your brethren.

I have social anxiety so this is easier said than done.

You are not understanding me. John's baptism and the Christian one is not the same rite.

You never specified that Christ wasn't in the baptism of John.

In Acts when the Apostles found those who only experienced John's baptism, they where Baptized with the Christian rite.

This still doesn't explain how you know Jesus is using the minister as a conduit. The scripture teach the opposite. That the one being baptised takes the place of Christ.

Because Jesus hadn't established the rite as of yet. Jesus was circumcised which placed Him, in the flesh under the Old Covenant.

Yet he was still baptised which is part of the new covenant which was as you said to demonstrate the importance of being baptised. If he was not baptised as an infant then he did not fulfill all righteousness as he said.

Why would you keep babies from becoming one with Christ and being redeemed by His cross? Or do you believe babies do not need redemption?

I believe infants already belong to God. When King David's infant son died He said in 2 Samuel 12:23 "I will go to him, but he will not return to me". Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.”

I think it is a cruel belief to think that the fate of an infant rests on someone else. Some infants never even make it out of the hospital and die before being able to be baptised. So those infants went to limbo just because their parents couldn't baptise them?

James White sums up in his opening statement what I believe about baptism (15:14 - 35:04).

Baptising babies is putting the cart before the horse therefore pointless. All the minister does is give them a bath.

Look if you are unable to accept Jesus and then later reject Him, then you have no free will. You are nothing more than an automaton. No child, only a construct that will follow its hardwiring.

I gave you two scripture proving my point which you just ignored. If you reject God then you do not get to keep the title child of God.

There are no children of God in hell, just like there are no Saints in hell or unbelievers in heaven.

Do you believe Judas Iscariot was a child of God unto his death?

Limbo is a theological opinion. It isn't a man made tradition, because it isn't a practice,

How would you practice limbo? And I'm not talking about this limbo.

I have been to Catholic websites and I have seen Catholics who believe in limbo and that is why they baptise their infants.

nor a doctrine. It's an opinion. Simple as that.

Okay it is possibly a man made opinion, meaning it could possibly be wrong.

BTW this Catholic website calls limbo a doctrine (fourth paragraph).

http://www.traditioninaction.org/religious/e012rp_Limbo24Reasons.html

I don't think you are following me here. What the Church has passed down as the Deposit of Faith, I.e. Divine Revelation, we as Catholics are required to believe those.

Yes I know that part.

Those questions that are not covered in the Deposit of Faith, I.e. That which hasn't been revealed to us, then we are allowed to have an opinion, if we so wish.

But not just allowed to have an opinion but actually believe in it too, like limbo and Medjugorje.

The Catholic Church has never claimed to know absolutely everything. There are many things that for one reason or another God has chosen not to reveal. Many of these are interesting subjects no doubt. We even have St. Paul speculating on what our glorified body will be like, for example. In these matters, the Church is silent, but the inquisitiveness of man is not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you please quote me where I said not being a member of a church community is in the bible.
Its called practice. One who believes in something, rather than just believe, practice what they believe in. Understand? There are many theist out there who are no better off than an atheist, because all they have is that they believe God exists, rather than believing in God.

I have social anxiety so this is easier said than done.
Then you have a challenge that God has given to you to see how much you love Him. Christianity isn't always comfortable, and in most cases to grow requires us to do things we don't like.

You never specified that Christ wasn't in the baptism of John.

This still doesn't explain how you know Jesus is using the minister as a conduit. The scripture teach the opposite. That the one being baptised takes the place of Christ.

Yet he was still baptised which is part of the new covenant which was as you said to demonstrate the importance of being baptised. If he was not baptised as an infant then he did not fulfill all righteousness as he said.
. It isn't really that difficult. Christ through the minister of Baptism, baptizes us into His Body. Baptism isn't just a physical bath, nor is it just symbolic. It does something for us. It rights the ship. It is through this Sacrament that Christ established as the means to redeem us with His Father. St. Paul says that in Baptism we both buried with Christ and we rise with Him (Col 2:12). Jesus tells us, that unless we are born again of water and the Spirit we cannot be saved. This is reaffirmed in Mark 16:16, when it says that we must believe and be baptized to be saved. In Jesus' baptism we learn that in baptism we become children of God, receiving the Spirit of Adoption. Why on earth would you not want children redeemed? Why on earth would you exclude children from that incredible gift of the Spirit? Why on earth would you not want children to be reconciled to the Father?

I believe infants already belong to God. When King David's infant son died He said in 2 Samuel 12:23 "I will go to him, but he will not return to me". Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.”
Those children were already God's under the Old Covenant through circumcision. Children were became members of the people of God on their 8th day. The Jews didn't wait until the children were old enough to decide for themselves. Their parents, and through their parents' faith, chose for them. Why would we not want our children to be part of the New Covenant, to be children of God?

I think it is a cruel belief to think that the fate of an infant rests on someone else. Some infants never even make it out of the hospital and die before being able to be baptised. So those infants went to limbo just because their parents couldn't baptise them?
There is no belief here. Like I said all we have to the question is: we don't know.

Yes one of the theological opinions is that when infants and children die, they go to heaven whether baptized or not. We don't know if that is the case.

James White sums up in his opening statement what I believe about baptism (15:14 - 35:04).

Baptising babies is putting the cart before the horse therefore pointless. All the minister does is give them a bath.
Ah, so now you do admit to adhering to someone's faith tradition. So now we may be getting somewhere in relation to the OP.

I gave you two scripture proving my point which you just ignored. If you reject God then you do not get to keep the title child of God.

There are no children of God in hell, just like there are no Saints in hell or unbelievers in heaven.

Do you believe Judas Iscariot was a child of God unto his death?
I don't know which passages you speak of, but post them once more if you wish.

Here are the facts, the Jews were called by St. Paul the children of God (Rm 9:4), are all Jews in heaven? If so would not Judas be in heaven no matter what, if what you are saying is true?

In the New Covenant to become a child of God, one is baptized. But not all those who believe and/or are baptized, finish the race do they? There are too many examples in all our lives of men and women backsliding after first being vibrant Christians. The parable of the Sower teaches us this. Being a child of God means nothing will keep us from Him, but we can freely reject Him if we so wish. That's why Jesus says we must daily pick up our cross and follow Him. Daily.

So to answer your question. Yes Judas was a child of God, if only through his Jewish heritage, so says St. Paul. Yet Judas like many Jews rejected Christ. So how do you deal with that paradox?

Okay it is possibly a man made opinion, meaning it could possibly be wrong.

BTW this Catholic website calls limbo a doctrine (fourth paragraph).

http://www.traditioninaction.org/religious/e012rp_Limbo24Reasons.html

Yes I know that part.

But not just allowed to have an opinion but actually believe in it too, like limbo and Medjugorje.
Yes limbo can be false, as any theological opinion can be. Limbo may or may not be a reality. Concerning the link you provided, did you not fully read it? At least the first paragraph? Your link states what I have stated. The author can believe in limbo if he wishes, but he is not required to do so.

Me, myself, I don't really have an opinion one way or the other. I view it as being above my pay grade. I know why people are interested in this question, because people have suffered loss by loosing children, and I get that. You want to know the outcome of those you love. I'm just going to leave it up to God.

You can believe that children go straight to heaven if you wish. The problem is that you cannot be certain one way or another. Scripture, and for that matter Sacred Tradition, is silent on the matter, and we don't have enough info in what we know to effectively infer the answer to this question.

Upvote 0

MennoSota

Sola Gratia
Dec 11, 2015
US
✟22,574.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
You can believe that children go straight to heaven if you wish. The problem is that you cannot be certain one way or another. Scripture, and for that matter Sacred Tradition, is silent on the matter, and we don't have enough info in what we know to effectively infer the answer to this question.

David declared that he would see his dead son again in the afterlife. It's only one passage, but since it is God's word, I take it to mean that young children are extended grace for their sin.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
David declared that he would see his dead son again in the afterlife. It's only one passage, but since it is God's word, I take it to mean that young children are extended grace for their sin.
Two things to consider here: 1) Because the child was a Jewish child, then he would be by his ethnicity an adopted child of God so says St. Paul (Rom 9:4). 2) The other thing to consider is that in the OT the dead didn't go to Heaven or Gehenna, they all went to Sheol the place of the dead. So yes when you look at it that way, no matter where the child would end up, both he and David would end up in Sheol. So I don't really think that this passage can be used as a proof-text that all babies go to heaven.

Upvote 0

MennoSota

Sola Gratia
Dec 11, 2015
US
✟22,574.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Two things to consider here: 1) Because the child was a Jewish child, then he would be by his ethnicity an adopted child of God so says St. Paul (Rom 9:4). 2) The other thing to consider is that in the OT the dead didn't go to Heaven or Gehenna, they all went to Sheol the place of the dead. So yes when you look at it that way, no matter where the child would end up, both he and David would end up in Sheol. So I don't really think that this passage can be used as a proof-text that all babies go to heaven.
I am only stating the text as a source for believing that children go to heaven. I admit that the Bible is pretty silent on the subject. However, you should admit that the Bible is entirely silent on infant baptism as a means of salvation.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am only stating the text as a source for believing that children go to heaven. I admit that the Bible is pretty silent on the subject. However, you should admit that the Bible is entirely silent on infant baptism as a means of salvation.
I agree that it is explicitly silent on infant baptism, as it doesn't mention the name of one infant baptized. But if baptism is understood as Scripture teaches it, then one realizes that there are advantages to baptism that even infants can enjoy. Especially being tied to Christ's redemption.

Upvote 0