Which denomination of Christianity is right?

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
With so many denominations to choose from, which one's the right one?
Which one truly leads to God, or do they all or do just some of them?

We have been commanded to Love our Lord God with all of our Heart Mind Spirit and Strength. This is our greatest command, So apply this command with any Jesus Christ centered "denomination" or church that allows you to love God with all of your being, and you will have the right one for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Most denominations today hold in common the Nicene Creed, found here:

Historic Church Documents at Reformed.org

This is a bare bones outline of how we see God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit; and also the belief in the life, death, resurrection, and 2nd coming of Christ.

Most of what divides denominations are minor differences in interpretation of various scriptures, and most of these do not affect ones salvation. There are some differences in how salvation is acheived between the protestant churches and the Catholic Church (and also with the Eastern Orthidox Church), but this has to do with the place of faith and works in the Christian life. It get's kind of complicated, so I won't go into all that here.

What we can all agree upon is that forgiveness of sins and a new, right relationship before God comes from Jesus Christ; and that He is the only way for man to become right with God.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
You haven't said anything about your motivation for the question. If you're at the point where you want to start exploring a church, I'd suggest that denomination isn't the main issue for you. As a previous poster noted, most denominations hold the common Christian doctrines. There are significant differences, but really you can meet Christ through any mainstream denomination. By mainstream I'm excluding groups like Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, both of which reject the Trinity but have other issues as well.

Within the mainstream, you'll see noticeable differences between the major Christian traditions. Catholics, liberal Protestant and conservative Protestants have significant differences in how they see the Christian life. But there are fine Christians in all of these traditions. Generally people choose a church based more on the congregation. Do you have Christian friends? If so, you might do well to join them. Otherwise, you'll find different congregations have different emphases, even within the same denomination. You may prefer an energetic worship service with a rock band, or a more liturgical service. Some congregations tend to be legalistic in their approach to the Christian life, others are more relaxed.

In general the conservative denominations, both Catholic and conservative Protestants, appeal to people who expect God to provide specific answers. For Catholics those answers are developed by the Christian community, but there is a structure centered around the bishops and the Pope to make authoritative decisions. For conservative Protestants answers come from Scripture, using an approach that sees it as applying in reasonably direct form to today's questions. Liberal Protestants allow for more variation, and recognize a larger gap between answers in the Bible given to 1st Cent questions and answers to today's questions. Thus they tend to look at the Bible for principles which Christians can use for making decisions rather than as direct answers. However there is a wide range of "conservative" Christianity, with the more liberal end of the evangelical movement being fairly similar to the liberal denominations.

There are also non-denominational churches. These can range from community churches that accept a wide variation of approaches, to churches that are as narrow as the more conservative denominations, and who call themselves non-denominational because they don't recognize anyone else as valid Christians, hence they see no need for denominations.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
None of them are perfect. James 3:2 No man or group of man is perfect theologically. Each of us works out our own salvation in fear and trembling.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, we do not have severe persecution of Christians in Western nations to remove the hypocrites and false teachers (clean this problem up).

“By their Love” you will know them so find true Christians that are sacrificially serving the needy in tragedies and fellowship with those Christians.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,150.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I believe that there are seven churches within the church of Jesus Christ... In which your country of England mothered two of them! No wonder that such a small island once ruled so much of the known world!

1. Ephesus - Apostolic
2. Smyrna - Martyrs - Early Orthodox
3. Pergomos - Orthodox
4. Thyatira - Catholic
5. Sardis - Protestant
6. Philadelphia - Revived
7. Laodicea - Charismatic

In which they all had issues. You must pray and let God lead you to the church best for you. Remember there is no perfect church, and if there was it would become imperfect as you walked through the doorway!

12.25 2060, Isaac Newton, and the Seven Churches - YouTube

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

wildman

Deacon Blue
Dec 5, 2011
✟7,619.00
Faith
By mainstream I'm excluding groups like Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, both of which reject the Trinity but have other issues as well.
I'm curious how a church that claims 6 million members in the US can be considered something other than "mainstream." As for rejecting the Trinity, the first article of the Mormon faith is: "We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost." Mormons apparently use the word "Godhead" in place of "trinity," so it seems to me more a matter of semantics than anything else. Recall that there is no literal mention of the Trinity anywhere in the New Testament, so it seems a bit presumptuous to exclude a particular denomination for using its own terminology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wildman

Deacon Blue
Dec 5, 2011
✟7,619.00
Faith
Mormon's believe in a different Jesus from Christians
They do? This is what I found on mormon.org, the church's official website:
Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world and the Son of God. He is our Redeemer. The Holy Bible teaches us that Jesus Christ's mother was Mary, His father on earth was Joseph, that He was born in Bethlehem and raised in Nazareth, and labored with Joseph as a carpenter. When he turned 30, He began a three-year ministry of teaching, blessing, and healing the people of the Holy Land.
How does that description differ from what other Christian denominations teach?

Upvote 0

wildman

Deacon Blue
Dec 5, 2011
✟7,619.00
Faith
Mormonism is polytheistic; they believe that the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are different gods, and that people are to become gods too.
Again, this looks to me like a matter of semantics, nothing more. Non-Mormon Christians speak of the Trinity comprising one god in three persons. Conversely, Mormons say:
Mormons believe there are three Gods, but who function as an entirely unified body. Together, they form the Godhead and fulfill the complete mission of God. The Supreme God is God the Father. He is generally the One the Christian Bible refers to when it speaks of God, although in some cases, including in the Book of Genesis, Jesus is referred to as God during the creation of the world. Mormons teach that God’s Son created the earth, under the direction of God the Father. However, it is God the Father that Mormons call God and worship as such. He is the one they consider their Heavenly Father, while Jesus is their brother, the Son of God. (mormonchurch.com)
Interestingly, while nowhere in Scripture does the word "trinity" appear, the "Godhead" that Mormons cite is mentioned at least three times, in Acts 17:29, Romans 1:20 and Colossians 2:9.

What's more, the Christian Bible repeatedly refers to multiple "gods," for example in 2 Chronicles 2:5: "The house which I build is great: for great is our God above all gods...." This is hardly an isolated instance; see Exodus 15:11, Deuteronomy 10:17, Joshua 22:22, Psalms 82:1, Psalms 86:8, Psalms 95:3 and Psalms 135:5. At the very least, Christianity seems to be henotheistic -- acknowledging multiple gods, while worshiping only one.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wildman, if you deny that the LDS teaching regarding the nature of God, the nature of man and his destny, and the way to obtain salvation is wildly different from mainstream Christianity... well.... I am forced to the conclusion that you are either deliberately trying to be deceptive or that you are ignorant of the teachings of the Mormon Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wildman

Deacon Blue
Dec 5, 2011
✟7,619.00
Faith
Wildman, the fact that LDS believe they will become gods makes the religion polytjheistic in my view.
Can you cite a specific Mormon doctrine that spells this out? Or are you simply parroting what you've been told by some church leader with an anti-Mormon bias?

If you are under the misconception that theosis is not part of Christian theology, you may want to review Psalms 82:6.

Upvote 0

wildman

Deacon Blue
Dec 5, 2011
✟7,619.00
Faith
Wildman, if you deny that the LDS teaching regarding the nature of God, the nature of man and his destny, and the way to obtain salvation is wildly different from mainstream Christianity... well.... I am forced to the conclusion that you are either deliberately trying to be deceptive or that you are ignorant of the teachings of the Mormon Church.
How am I being "deceptive" or denying "LDS teaching regarding the nature of God?" The quotes I've posted are pulled verbatim from sources directly affiliated with Mormons and their church. What possible motive would they have for posting something other than their true doctrines?

If you can cite specific Mormon doctrines that conflict with what I've posted here, I'm eager to read them.

As for being "ignorant of the teachings of the Mormon Church," I plead guilty. I'm not and never have been LDS, though I have made an earnest effort to research and understand basic church doctrine for the purpose of responding in this thread. Have you? Or are you, too, mindlessly repeating second-hand information you've been spoon-fed about Mormonism, without researching it yourself?

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,150.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I personally have no use for the 'other Gospel' in which Paul says...

I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. - Galatians 1:6-9

And what happens to the accursed?

Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD. For he shall be like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited. Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. - Jermiah 17:5-7

And where... And where did the mormons end up? In a Salt land and not inhabited (Salt Lake City, UT)?

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
At the very least, Christianity seems to be henotheistic -- acknowledging multiple gods, while worshiping only one.

I agree; it obviously is! Mormons do a good job of disguising their heretical approach to Jesus, and many are fooled. I won't go so far as to say they glorify entities that are actually separate from G-d Himself, but they certainly dilute the Truth of Jesus - and that's putting it very mildly. Generally, I think Mormon people are sincere and good-hearted; but genuinely deceived. I would say the same for Jehovah's Witnesses. If you look into who they say Jesus is, you see it is a very different gospel. And therefore accursed, per Paul. :(

Don't be deceived!

OTOH, for all the distinctions within bona fide Christian denoms, NONE of us have any differences of any such magnitude. We'll still discuss these differences with fervor, but it's WAY down the totem pole of importance compared to what you're looking at with groups like those mentioned here, which I consider to be cults and not Christian at all.

Upvote 0

wildman

Deacon Blue
Dec 5, 2011
✟7,619.00
Faith
I agree; it obviously is! Mormons do a good job of disguising their heretical approach to Jesus, and many are fooled. I won't go so far as to say they glorify entities that are actually separate from G-d Himself, but they certainly dilute the Truth of Jesus - and that's putting it very mildly.
Yes, but what specifically is it about Mormon theology that makes it "heretical?" Superficially at least, their descriptions of Jesus and the trinity/godhead (as I posted above) appear to be essentially the same as what any other denomination would say. I see a lot of non-LDS believers slamming the Mormon faith here with highly charged language (heretical, polytheistic, false, etc.) but no specifics citing the significant differences between Mormonism and other Christian sects. Sure, they have their own sacred text whose historical veracity is highly suspect, but on most religious issues, the Book of Mormon is generally consistent with the Bible and other Christian denominations.

Upvote 0