South East London, England
✟19,598.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
Which bible translation is the best to read from a Catholic viewpoint? I am reading the NRSV and I find it the easiest to understand of all the translations that I own (except the Good News Bible).

I have been looking in a lot of profiles and I see the Douay-Rheims and the Jeruslaem Bible in a lot of them, but I don't get on with those translations myself (old language seems to baffle me and I don't understand what it means :doh:).

I know that Catholic Bibles don't have the gender equal language, which I like (they say brothers, instead of brothers and sisters that is in the NRSV) and I was just wondering if it matters which one you read, or if it's more important that you read any version?

krstlros

Currently Under Construction
Supporter
Jun 16, 2004
Within the arms of God
✟52,810.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
For Catholics, it is the translation from the original language that matters: Greek, Hebrew and Latin.

The translation that is used in our Liturgies is the "New American Bible". You might want to give that one a try.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a little booklet from Tan that promotes the Douay-Rheims over all the other Catholic versions~~the debate reminds me of the KJV vs. modern translations enjoyed in protestantville ;)

I have an RSV & NAB Catholic Study Bible~I'm waiting for Hahn Catholic Study Bible;) though I do need to lay hands on a DR sometime; best one though is the one you'll read :)

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟772,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I like the Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition. It has the readability of the NIV but with the translation more suited for a Catholic perspective.

This is the one I am reading from now: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Ignatius-Catholic-Bible/Ignatius-Press/e/9781586171001/?itm=13

However - there are some shortcomings out of this particular book I have (not of the version, but of the particular publication):

1) There are some study notes in the Appendices but they are not as comprehensive as would be study notes from a larger Bible.

2) When they give quotes from the Old Testament, they do not tell you what passage that quote is from in the footnotes.

3) It does not give a footnote after a parallel passage to tell you where in the other Synoptics that concept is.

Keep in mind though that MY particular RSV by virtue of its size and portability probably didn't incorporate all the features I wanted - but that does not change my opinion of the translation. I really like it a lot. I have almost no trouble understanding it - every once in a while I may have to look up a word in the dictionary but it's not so often that it becomes an encumbrance.

BTW I have other Protestant Bibles from which I could find either what the parallel passages are or where the OT quotes come from. It's just that it would be nice to have everything I need in the RSV. Someday that may happen - but that's not how it is for now.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟772,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
For the traditional Easterners there is no beating the complete Orthodox Study Bible just released this year.
Stivvy does your Orthodox Study Bible contain footnotes and stuff? If so, what are the footnotes like for concepts that are Catholic in nature but would be different than the Orthodox point of view? E.G. the part in Matthew where Peter is given the keys to the kingdom of heaven.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟60,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Though it isn't perfect, my favorite translation is the NRSV. It has very familiar and poetic sounding language (in the tradition of the KJV), yet is a fully modern bible translated on fully modern scholarship with fully modern language (but not overly simplified). It also tends to make what I would consider to be the "right" calls on controversial issues more often than not (Though there are a few I might disagree with).

NAB's biggest failing is the language used. I went to a midnight mass last Christmas and that famous passage in Isaiah prophesizing all the things that Jesus will be called, very poetic in most bibles, actually uses the word "god-hero". It's a bit upsurd, sometimes I think they changed things to synomyns when writing that translation just so they wouldn't be the same as the more familar Protestant bibles or the Douby-Rheims. One of the strengths in the NRSV is, though it is a translation mostly from scratch, it looks to older translations in it's line so as not to change a word like "chair" to "thing that is sat on" for no reason. The NAB does that sort of thing all the time, and it's jarring. Not inaccurate, but jarring. And often it uses poetic force -- the NAB in some parts strikes me as a translation written by people for whom English was not their native language who didn't have a sense of what flows in English and what doesn't.

Also, if one looks at the new mass translations and so forth, the language is actually a lot closer to the NRSV and RSV than the NAB.

One word of advice, though: The NRSV does make Protestant editions, so if you're looking for a Catholic NRSV, make sure you get one that says it's the Catholic edition on the cover.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stivvy

Senior Veteran
Jun 30, 2006
Hubbard, Ohio
✟14,264.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Stivvy does your Orthodox Study Bible contain footnotes and stuff? If so, what are the footnotes like for concepts that are Catholic in nature but would be different than the Orthodox point of view? E.G. the part in Matthew where Peter is given the keys to the kingdom of heaven.

Yes it does. The perspective is quite in line with the CC, although there are some points that are, well, orthodox.

For your question specifically it reads

refers to a special authority that will be given to both Peter and the other apostlesafter the resurrection. Peter was not a leader over the others, but among them. The truth was confirmed at the counsel of Jerusalem (Acts 15) where the apostlesand presbyters met as equals, and where Peter advised, but James presided. Papal claims of later centeries must not be confused with NT witness regarding Peter, nor should the role of Peter be deminished in opposition to these claims....

Through wisdom, dicernment of the differences is key to enjoying this amazing Bible.

Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟39,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I've posted a similar comment in the past, but if you wouldn't object to an Anglicans thoughts then to my mind the best translation is easily the Revised English Bible. Naturally it contains the full deutrocanon (though separated). The translation is intelligent and flowing. Admittedly as an Anglican i am part of heritage which sees great literary benefit in bibles such as the great KJV and the REB stands in that tradition, not simply translating words from one language to another but genuinely trying to use the English language to convey a real literary sense in the word of God. It's also the only bible translation i've ever used which both Protestants and Catholics are fully happy with. It's a gem of a translation and i'm truely baffle that it's not more popular.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is what EWTN says:

Scripture, Divine Revelation

Here is the latest non-poetic English RSV-CE: http://www.ignatius.com/ViewProduct.aspx?SID=1&Product_ID=2764&SKU=IB2-H&ReturnURL=search.aspx%3f%3fSID%3d1%26SearchCriteria%3drsv
There is little difference between this version and the 1966 Jerusalem CE which is also recommended.

It is approved and easy to read.

You can get the 1866 Douay Rhiems (if you prefer poetic style) free in the free program called E-Sword which also has Jerome's Vulgate [405] with a literal English interpretation which allows for comparisons with other versions and key word searches. The DR is also free online in a few places.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Though it isn't perfect, my favorite translation is the NRSV. It has very familiar and poetic sounding language (in the tradition of the KJV), yet is a fully modern bible translated on fully modern scholarship with fully modern language (but not overly simplified). It also tends to make what I would consider to be the "right" calls on controversial issues more often than not (Though there are a few I might disagree with).

NAB's biggest failing is the language used. I went to a midnight mass last Christmas and that famous passage in Isaiah prophesizing all the things that Jesus will be called, very poetic in most bibles, actually uses the word "god-hero". It's a bit upsurd, sometimes I think they changed things to synomyns when writing that translation just so they wouldn't be the same as the more familar Protestant bibles or the Douby-Rheims. One of the strengths in the NRSV is, though it is a translation mostly from scratch, it looks to older translations in it's line so as not to change a word like "chair" to "thing that is sat on" for no reason. The NAB does that sort of thing all the time, and it's jarring. Not inaccurate, but jarring. And often it uses poetic force -- the NAB in some parts strikes me as a translation written by people for whom English was not their native language who didn't have a sense of what flows in English and what doesn't.

Also, if one looks at the new mass translations and so forth, the language is actually a lot closer to the NRSV and RSV than the NAB.

One word of advice, though: The NRSV does make Protestant editions, so if you're looking for a Catholic NRSV, make sure you get one that says it's the Catholic edition on the cover.

Hey we agree on something :groupray: I also read the NRSV

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟60,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey we agree on something :groupray: I also read the NRSV

There you have it folks, if Eastcoast and I can both agree on it, you know the NRSV has to be the way to go. I knew we'd agree on something one of these days! :)

The countdown begins to agreement #2. I have faith. It'll happen. :)

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟57,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Douay-Rheims and the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine: are the only Ones that I'd trust; My best friend has RSV-Catholic Edition: it seems readable; she likes it: but I've not investigated it enough to discern whether it's on par with the Douay-Rheims in terms of explicit orthodox CAtholicity in scripture supporting firmly Catholic Doctrine and dogmata.

Upvote 0

Guid

Apr 7, 2006
Canada
✟340.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I'm not Catholic, but I use a Catholic Bible, so I thought could get away with posting to this thread in this section.

The best one is the one the Lord tells you is for you. The Lord let me know He wants me to use "The New Jerusalem" Bible. So, for me, that's the best one. I even recommend it. :) But the best one for you might be another one .. listen.

Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Has anyone tried a parallel version bible.....set up like a traditional bible, except where you would have 4 columns , 2 per page...you have 4 versions of the same text... ; 1 per each column...

John 1.1 NIV--John 1.1--NAB--John 1.1 --KJV--John 1.1--Jerusalem Bible

[ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ] [ 4 ]

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.