Where's The Cambrian Explosion In This Graphic?

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We could kill all animals.
Which one(s) would you start with?

Lupines? Canines? Felines? Homos?

Which one wore the shirt that said NATURAL SELECTION?

Klebold or Harris?

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So much for "shown to be wrong."

At least you said, 'almost always.'

My example must have fallen into that perimeter, eh?
It was a nonsensical statement that need no refutation. You really have to try a lot harder than that.

Upvote 0

Herman Hedning

Hiking is fun
Mar 2, 2004
N 57° 44', E 12° 00'
Visit site
✟735,003.00
Faith
Humanist
Well, not really. Now that we've found the Cambrian explosion on the graph, questions arise concerning the alleged life forms previous to the Cambrian explosion evolving into life forms after the Cambrian explosion.....per the graph.

OK. Questions such as?

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟925,893.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
You wish. We are not that powerful. It would even be hard to kill off ONE species.
Seen any dodos? Tasmanian wolves? Passenger pigeons? Western black rhinoceros?

Reactions: Dr GS Hurd
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,307.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
How about mosquito? flies? cockroaches? mice?
The passenger pigeon, once the most abundant bird in Northampton America, indeed the world, now extinct as humanity hunted it, and destroyed its habitat.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_pigeon
So hard to kill off a species? In as little as 400 odd years humanity wiped the most abundant bird on earth from the planet.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟925,893.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
How about mosquito? flies? cockroaches? mice?
Oh!

When you said "It would even be hard to kill off ONE species." you meant specifically target a single particular species without widespread unpleasant consequences? You need to be clearer.

No one was asserting that we have that kind of precision, merely that human actions can lead to species extinction... and on a grand scale the death of macroscopic life. (And us along with them).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The passenger pigeon, once the most abundant bird in Northampton America, indeed the world, now extinct as humanity hunted it, and destroyed its habitat.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_pigeon
So hard to kill off a species? In as little as 400 odd years humanity wiped the most abundant bird on earth from the planet.

This is useless argument.
We killed off some species, but we will never kill off some other species.
So, I say we are OK.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Oh!

When you said "It would even be hard to kill off ONE species." you meant specifically target a single particular species without widespread unpleasant consequences? You need to be clearer.

No one was asserting that we have that kind of precision, merely that human actions can lead to species extinction... and on a grand scale the death of macroscopic life. (And us along with them).

Someone did. That is why I made such an argument.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Oh!

And I will repeat my argument:

Based on the features shown on the "tree of death", I think we are doing OK. We killed animals that have some values to us. What is wrong with that? If we are stupid enough to kill them off, that is too bad. It just add one more example to the statistics in the "tree of death". We made our children not able to see those animals. But, we will continue to survive and the "tree of death" will continue to grow.

Are we human just another species goes up and down in the evolution of life?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,454.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Juvenissun, I never knew that you are a man after my own heart. Let us spread the ultimate gift of death to as many species as possible before mankind finally dies out. The ashes will be glorious.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Juvenissun, I never knew that you are a man after my own heart. Let us spread the ultimate gift of death to as many species as possible before mankind finally dies out. The ashes will be glorious.

It is only a wish (your wish?). It won't happen.

Upvote 0

Black Dog

Sep 20, 2015
✟4,870.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
We could. But we won't, at least for now.

Who knows, we might hit a tipping point. Hopefully the models are relatively accurate. But there is that chance that we are at the tipping point right now, and don't realize it. Long odds probably.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Who knows, we might hit a tipping point. Hopefully the models are relatively accurate. But there is that chance that we are at the tipping point right now, and don't realize it. Long odds probably.

There is no such tipping point. It is harder to eliminate any life species now.

Upvote 0

Black Dog

Sep 20, 2015
✟4,870.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There is no such tipping point. It is harder to eliminate any life species now.

I meant where we irrevocably mess up the atmosphere, and the earth turns into an oven a al venus. I've never heard that is impossible, but you could well be correct. Do you have any links to articles saying it is impossible? Have you read (in a science based article) that it is impossible?

Upvote 0