Where's The Cambrian Explosion In This Graphic?

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's not noted anywhere.

1670898-inline-inline-evo-large.jpg
http://c.fastcompany.net/multisite_...e/2012/09/1670898-inline-inline-evo-large.jpg

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You need a non cropped version of the image.

It's usually stated as starting at 542 million years ago. Go back to the website you grabbed it from and get the original.

You're right, my mistake. The Cambrian explosion is off the original graph. This one is clearer....

evo-large.gif

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟917,196.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Notice how that chart goes out of its way to label dinosaurs "extinct" before man showed up?

Despite what the Bible says?

You think that's in there just for show?
I think you are misinterpreting. "Dinosaurs died 65 million years ago" is a common bit of knowledge that is rarely associated or connected with religion. (Obviously anyone who thinks there's only 6 to 10 thousand years of history will think it's wrong, but I don't think this is anything like an attack on creationists.)

I think statements like "man evolved 200 thousand years ago" is much more likely to immediately trigger a disagreement.

Upvote 0

JonFromMinnesota

Sep 3, 2015
Minnesota
✟52,766.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Notice how that chart goes out of its way to label dinosaurs "extinct" before man showed up?

Despite what the Bible says?

You think that's in there just for show?

Uhhhh.....you think humans lived during the same time as dinosaurs..?:doh:

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Uhhhh.....you think humans lived during the same time as dinosaurs..?:doh:
Yes.

Ever read the book of Job?

And, by the way, notice here ...

Job 40:16 Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.

How can a "terrible lizard" have a navel?

Here's an old thread I started years ago:

Following is a list of animals found in the Bible:
  1. fowled bat
  2. behemoth
  3. leviathan
  4. four-legged grasshopper
  5. satyr
  6. unicorn
  7. dragon
  8. straw-eating lions
I contend that these animals are problematic for evolutionists.

SOURCE

Upvote 0

JonFromMinnesota

Sep 3, 2015
Minnesota
✟52,766.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

The bible is the claim and not evidence as you already know my thoughts on this.
If dinosaurs and humans lived at the same time, we'd find both human and dinosaur fossils in the same layer of rocks. We do not.
There is an approximately sixty-four-million-year gap in the fossil record when there are neither dinosaur nor human fossils. If humans and dinosaurs coexisted, traces of the two should be found in the same time places.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is an approximately sixty-four-million-year gap in the fossil record when there are neither dinosaur nor human fossils. If humans and dinosaurs coexisted, traces of the two should be found in the same time places.
According to evolution, the first dinosaurs appeared 231.4 million years ago.

If you do the math and divide 231.4 million by 6 thousand, you get 38,567.

That means that for every year we say the Bible has been in existence, deep timers say it has been in existence 38,567 years.

Since evolution says there was a 65-million year gap between the last dinosaur and the first man, that equates to 1685.4 years in "short time."

Which puts the last dinosaur in existence around AD 330.

(Assuming my math is correct.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JonFromMinnesota

Sep 3, 2015
Minnesota
✟52,766.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

That means that for every year we say the Bible has been in existence, deep timers say it has been in existence 38,567 years.

Since evolution says there was a 65-million year gap between the last dinosaur and the first man, that equates to 1685.4 years in "short time."

Dinosaurs have been extinct for 65 million years. Modern humans have been around for only 200,000.
I'm not impressed by your made up math problem.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yes.

Ever read the book of Job?

And, by the way, notice here ...

Job 40:16 Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.

How can a "terrible lizard" have a navel?

Here's an old thread I started years ago:

Following is a list of animals found in the Bible:
  1. fowled bat
  2. behemoth
  3. leviathan
  4. four-legged grasshopper
  5. satyr
  6. unicorn
  7. dragon
  8. straw-eating lions
I contend that these animals are problematic for evolutionists.

SOURCE
Navels are not observed in animals that come from eggs. If you take the Bible literally that animal clearly had to be a mammal, not a dinosaur.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

When is your math ever correct when you are dealing with evolution?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You're right, my mistake. The Cambrian explosion is off the original graph. This one is clearer....

evo-large.gif

One thing stroke me when seeing this graph.
There are much much more extinct species than the current existing species. If so, why are we so nervous about endangered species today? I don't see a single reason to spend any resources on the preservation of those species. It is even possible that we should kill off more current species to make room for future species.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,165.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There are much much more extinct species than the current existing species. If so, why are we so nervous about endangered species today? I don't see a single reason to spend any resources on the preservation of those species. It is even possible that we should kill off more current species to make room for future species.
It's the rate of extinction that is the concern, and the cause, ie. Human activity is destroying the food chain.

Reactions: Dr GS Hurd
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shemjaza

Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟917,196.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Because once they are gone that little bit on uniqueness is gone from the world. From a pragmatic perspective each species might have something useful for mankind.

More people have died then are alive today, we don't legalise spree killing because "Well, more people are always being born."

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It's the rate of extinction that is the concern, and the cause, ie. Human activity is destroying the food chain.

Why is the rate a concern? We are not going to kill all animals. What we do not kill will continue to evolve. What is wrong with that?

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,165.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Because once they are gone that little bit on uniqueness is gone from the world. From a pragmatic perspective each species might have something useful for mankind.

More people have died then are alive today, we don't legalise spree killing because "Well, more people are always being born."

When ever we have used anything on endangered animals? We nearly ate some fishes off the earth. I say just finish them and go for other fishes. Make more room for the rest of the fishes to evolve. This "tree of death" strongly suggests this idea.

When we kill off the last few of an endangered species, we should try to preserve their skeletons as fossil record for future intelligent species after human.

And, in order to preserve other species as you suggested, we SHOULD kill more of ourselves. Reduce 99.9% of human population so the remaining 0.1% could start to evolve faster.

Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Here's an interesting article on the subject
http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/biodiversity/elements_of_biodiversity/extinction_crisis/

Humanity is destroying the earth's ecosystem faster than life can hope to adapt.

I don't believe that. The earth recovered several times from very severe extinction events (much longer time, much more intense, much more wide spread than human can ever do). Who can prove that we are more disastrous than those intense natural events?

Yes, we make the earth less livable for human. And then the deteriorated environment will come back to haunt human. THEN, we WILL stop some bad processes to save ourselves. The past smog problems is an example, and the current severe pollution in China is another developing example.

Upvote 0