Nov 21, 2012
Earth
✟8,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well according to Luke 16:

Luk 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

There are 3 possibilities here.

1. You have 3 levels. You have hell which is right below (downwards), then you have paradise (Abraham's bosom) which is a way above that but still downwards. Then you have heaven right above.

2. 2 Levels. Abraham's bosom is heaven (upwards) and where the rich man went is hell (downwards).

3. You completely misunderstand the passage and using a parable and taking it literally while missing the entire point of the parable.

I say its number 3. Firstly, this rich man must have eternal life because he is in torment, yet he is not dying and his body is not being consumed.

Luk 16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

Tell me, did Adam go to Abraham's Bosom when he died? Or did only New Testament people start going there or people after Moses.

I do not really worry much about who went to heaven or who went to hell as it is not my job to do that. That is God's business.

What I think and ask God is that I may not be deceived and I would like to go home to Him when I die, where ever He is - that is where I want to be.

Upvote 0

Mikecpking

Aug 29, 2005
Telford,Shropshire,England
Visit site
✟18,099.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
:):):) Impossible for a soul to resurrect hence at Jn.5:28, 29 are all the bodies resurrecting. All that died from Adam forward are either in heaven or in hell, no soul sleep. :thumbsup:

This is the resurrection at the last day.

:):):) By the way Jn.3:13, contextually, any other person would first have to ascend to heaven, not so this person - he was in heaven to begin with. Hence all he had to do was to come down from heaven. :wave:[/quote]

Jesus was talking about humanity itself and only he as the son of man came down.

What part of "no one has ascended into heaven" you don't understand?

Biblically, there is no such thing as a 'soul' separate from a body. Your idea that souls live on is coming from greek philosophy which polluted Jewish and Christian thought ever since the Greeks came into contact with the Jews.

The biblical view is the resurrection of the dead, not the immortality of the soul.

To undertand what the biblical soul is, you need to know its definition from the Hebrew word 'nephesh'.

It means:

1) A living animal or creature (Gen 1.26, Gen 2:19
2) A whole person (Gen 2:7)
3) Life (Lev 17:11)
4) Life in the blood (DT 12:23)
5) The personal pronoun (Rendered 'I' or 'me') Judges 16:30, Numbers 23:10)

Then you realise there is no place scripturally that supports the view that a soul cannot be an immaterial essence.

Coversely, 'spirit' is God's breath of life in use, but it is not 'us' (Gen 2:7, ecclesiates 12:7, Job 27:3).

Check out the scriptures for your self

Upvote 0

shturt678

Senior Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Hawaii
✟13,428.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
This is the resurrection at the last day.

:):):) By the way Jn.3:13, contextually, any other person would first have to ascend to heaven, not so this person - he was in heaven to begin with. Hence all he had to do was to come down from heaven. :wave:

Jesus was talking about humanity itself and only he as the son of man came down.

What part of "no one has ascended into heaven" you don't understand?

Biblically, there is no such thing as a 'soul' separate from a body. Your idea that souls live on is coming from greek philosophy which polluted Jewish and Christian thought ever since the Greeks came into contact with the Jews.

The biblical view is the resurrection of the dead, not the immortality of the soul.

To undertand what the biblical soul is, you need to know its definition from the Hebrew word 'nephesh'.

It means:

1) A living animal or creature (Gen 1.26, Gen 2:19
2) A whole person (Gen 2:7)
3) Life (Lev 17:11)
4) Life in the blood (DT 12:23)
5) The personal pronoun (Rendered 'I' or 'me') Judges 16:30, Numbers 23:10)

Then you realise there is no place scripturally that supports the view that a soul cannot be an immaterial essence.

Coversely, 'spirit' is God's breath of life in use, but it is not 'us' (Gen 2:7, ecclesiates 12:7, Job 27:3).

Check out the scriptures for your self[/QUOTE]

:):):) I think we both need to check out the English first, the Bible English translations, along with the Scriptures....what do you think? :confused: The body consciousness of which is in the heart, i.e., is specifically in the soul hence the soul animates the body (immaterial part) giving it life. How we doing so far? :thumbsup: My view puts more separation between Biblical "soul" and Biblical "spirit," i.e., just good ol' Koine, whereas the English has them meaning nearly the same thing. The meaning of "soul" in the N.T., ruled by the context, is used in different senses hence not equal. The meaning of "soul" in the O.T., again ruled by the context, is used also in different senses than even the N.T. Even the meaning of animal "souls" is used in a different sense. Once understands the former then one can receive the one genuine interpretation by the Holy Spirit otherwise more of a IIThess.2:11, 12 interpretation coupled with Rev.13:14b. Hope this helps? :confused::confused::confused:

Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2013
Southampton, England
✟9,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Before Jesus died and rose all that righteous dead of the old testament went to paradise when they died. Sheol was divided into hades and paradise or Abraham's bosom. When Jesus died He went to paradise and emptied it and took them to heaven. Paradise is empty and all who die now go to heaven.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The old church hymn "Spirit in the Sky" by Norman Greenbaum gives us some insight
♪ When I die and they lay me to rest
Gonna go to the place that's the best
When I lay me down to die
Goin' up to the spirit in the sky
Goin' up to the spirit in the sky
That's where I'm gonna go when I die
When I die and they lay me to rest
Gonna go to the place that's the best ♪

Upvote 0

shturt678

Senior Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Hawaii
✟13,428.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Wow, I like the responses....we care! Great! Let's take another look at Heb.4:12, "...division of soul and spirit,..." I wonder what this is? I know I'm going to get accused of many things, but not late for lunch. Great! The psuxe, al Greek to me? as distinguished from the pneuma, that Koine again, i hate it? is the life which the spirit gives to the body, now you bring in "body" Jack, that's me, as long as the two are connected; hence the psuxe "soul" is the seat of the thoughts, emotions, feelings, desires, volitions, actions, and you get it, made my point, pertaining to our earthly and bodily existence; the pneuma, which is the source of the psuxe, is the immaterial part of our being that was created and breathed into us by the breath of God and is, therefore, the real seat of all his gracious operations in regenerating and renewing us. You heard me out and your welcome with all types of Argumentum ad hominem attacks, i.e., I'm the only one on this site that has an enjoyable affinity for them! Take this to the bank. Hey, this is fun.....

In the unregenerate the psyche, Latin or Greek, beats me? rules and the pneuma is enslaved; in the regenerate this is reversed, the pneuma is enthroned. Can keep going, but having too much fun and too many others are not going to be too happy with the former so will back off before they go into an uncontrolable rage.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2013
✟7,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We must not forget Yeshua (Jesus) went to the Sheol to preach and save Souls.
Peter 3:18–20[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

Some people think that Sheol is hell as a place of torture were the evil doers go. Sheol is just the place in the ground where the dead goes.

To understand this text it is necessary to read the entire passage very carefully. In verse 18 reveals that Jesus the divine Son of God who was put to death for our sins was "made alive" through the power of the HOLY SPIRIT. Now in verse 19 makes a transition and declares that it was by this same HOLY SPIRIT that Christ spoke to the spirits in prison. Now from here you must ask your self; When did he preach to these spirits in prison? Who are the spirits in prison? In verse 20 tell us! In the days of Noah, the hearts of men and women were only evil continually. They were in bondage to evil spirits. The same HOLY SPIRIT which raised Jesus from literal death appealed to men and women possessed by evil spirits who were spiritually dead in the days of Noah to bring them to spiritual life. The Spirit of Christ spoke through the prophet preaching the gospel to men and women trapped in spiritual prisons (please read 1 Pet. 1:10-12). The mighty power of the spirit opens the prison of sin so the captive go free (Isa. 61:1).

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some people think that Sheol is hell as a place of torture were the evil doers go. Sheol is just the place in the ground where the dead goes.

To understand this text it is necessary to read the entire passage very carefully. In verse 18 reveals that Jesus the divine Son of God who was put to death for our sins was "made alive" through the power of the HOLY SPIRIT. Now in verse 19 makes a transition and declares that it was by this same HOLY SPIRIT that Christ spoke to the spirits in prison. Now from here you must ask your self; When did he preach to these spirits in prison? Who are the spirits in prison? In verse 20 tell us! In the days of Noah, the hearts of men and women were only evil continually. They were in bondage to evil spirits. The same HOLY SPIRIT which raised Jesus from literal death appealed to men and women possessed by evil spirits who were spiritually dead in the days of Noah to bring them to spiritual life. The Spirit of Christ spoke through the prophet preaching the gospel to men and women trapped in spiritual prisons (please read 1 Pet. 1:10-12). The mighty power of the spirit opens the prison of sin so the captive go free (Isa. 61:1).

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Upvote 0