1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do the other planets fit in?

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by Daniel_1981, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Jazer

Jazer Guest

Didn't the Greeks resolve all of that 2000 years ago?

2. Redac

Redac Regular Member

Faith:
    Seeker
    Hardly. Everything the Greeks said has been challenged and debated ever since it was said. Either way, what definition is this, exactly?

3. Orogeny

Orogeny Trilobite me!

Faith:
    Agnostic
    I didn't ask them. Also, don't ignore the rest of my post.

4. SAMMISPARROW

SAMMISPARROW Newbie

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your first point is self contradictory and does not warrant an answer.

Secondly, it is apparent that the universe is self sustained, or sustained by yet a higher force, and this in itself reveals a superior form of intelligence.

5. SAMMISPARROW

SAMMISPARROW Newbie

Faith:
    Baptist
    The universe behaves in such a manner that is sound and orderly which is equivalent to being of intelligent behavior, in that it displays logic and reasoning in its realm.

6. Orogeny

Orogeny Trilobite me!

Faith:
    Agnostic
    So the definition of 'intelligence' is 'sound and orderly'? I think you may want to reference this somewhere. Or simply google the word 'intelligence'. Because there are many, many things in my daily life that operate in a sound and orderly fashion, yet are not intelligent. Likewise, some of the most intelligent individuals I interact with on a daily basis are anything but orderly, and, depending on the day, may or may not be particularly sound.

7. SAMMISPARROW

SAMMISPARROW Newbie

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please don't compare yourself with the universe, that is not very intelligent.

But just the same , if the universe was not reasonably as sound as it is and has been and will be for who knows how long, we would have probably been washed away on a space shore somewhere, so to speak.

It's quite obvious to me that you are not looking at the issue with an open mind and you are in denial of this whole discussion, and it is quite within your right to look at it with your own point of view as it is mine. Goodbye.

8. Orogeny

Orogeny Trilobite me!

Faith:
    Agnostic
    I was contrasting myself with the universe, not comparing. But you're just being snide, so meh.

So you've gone from 'the universe is intelligent' to 'the universe is reasonably sound', thereby abandoning your original argument. Predictable.

And it's quite obvious to everyone else that you just don't want to properly define 'intelligent'.

No, this discussion is quite real. It's definitely happening. Project much?

Aaand bolt. Turn tail and run just like most creationists do when called out for misappropriating the English language. So predictable.

9. SAMMISPARROW

SAMMISPARROW Newbie

Faith:
    Baptist

:doh:Get over it.......................................:p

10. Redac

Redac Regular Member

Faith:
    Seeker
    You really shouldn't enter into any kind of discussion like this if all you're planning on doing is quitting half-way through.

11. Split Rock

Split Rock Conflation of Blathers

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Not at all. If any and all possible evidence is always considered evidence for your creation story, and never against it, then none of it is really meaningful. In other words, what you are selling is non-falsifiable. It is therefore not a testable hypothesis, and is useless.

In fact it is so apparent that you cannot explain in simple terms why it is apparent...

12. Delphiki

Delphiki New Member

Faith:
    Atheist
    So God created the universe with mankind in mind? The universe apparently shows characteristics of being intelligently designed?

Consider all of the following:

If humans don't manage to disrupt the environment to the point that the earth can no longer sustain our species, and if we haven't blown each other up in some holy war, economic war, or just for fun... And if we don't all die from some kind of rapid epidemic....

About 5 times in the past 600 million years an asteroid causing mass-extinction has collided with the earth. Other major impact events average only thousands of years apart, and we're someone overdue for one.

In about 5 billion years, our own sun will have grown to a size that it's engulfed the earth as sun's diameter exceeds that of our orbit around it.

Several billion years afterward, the Andromeda galaxy will collide with our own. While most of the objects in either galaxy won't physically collide, the ones that don't will still be pulled out of orbit and maybe into new ones. Neptune could end up burning up in Sirius A for all we know.

The vacuum of space is known to be at least as cold as 3 degrees Kelvin (where zero is the total absence of molecular movement), or -270 celsius, -454 Fahrenheit. Out where there is no magetosphere to protect you, lethal levels of radiation saturate the airless void. Stars, let alone other life-sustaining planets (of which we don't know of any) are impossible distances away.. light from the nearest star takes over 4 years to reach us...

This is the universe you say God intelligently governs and made for us.

13. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The book of Revelation clearly shows us alive and well, right up to the end; and Peter tells us how this earth is going to end up.

Like I say, you guys have got the Big Bang backwards.

The universe ends in a big bang, not begins with it.

2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

14. Delphiki

Delphiki New Member

Faith:
    Atheist
    The book of revelation says. What's the evidence say?

15. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently this:

16. Flatland

Flatland Junior Member

Faith:
    Atheist
    You need to see a doctor....

17. MoonLancer

MoonLancer The Moon is a reflection of the MorningStar

Faith:
    Buddhist
    And yet you cant even give dates ;p. You have been trumped.

18. LifeToTheFullest!

LifeToTheFullest! New Member

Faith:
    Agnostic
  19. Delphiki

Delphiki New Member

Faith:
    Atheist

AV, this is why you need to just throw in the towel:

The first word you highlighted, "apparently" was in a sentence describing the creationist view. It is apparent that creationists believe such and such. It appears that you believe such and such. Get it?

The next 3 "if"s, are things that nobody knows whether they will happen or not, religious or not. Granted, you think we'll hear a brass section, while four scary dudes on horses will ride around the planet, oceans will turn to blood, etc. Considering the realistic possibilities of things like disease, climate change, and war, once again, your supposition looks like the next Michael Bay movie, and is every bit as realistic as Transformers.

"About" because there's no way to give an exact calendar day on dates that far back.

"Average" doesn't mean "dur, don't know for sure", it's a way to explain a medial recurrence of something. If you roll a 2, a 4, and a 6, your average is 4.

And so on and so on.

Fact is, you've just shown that you didn't actually read the post, you just figured if you highlighted a bunch of non-absolute words, that people would think science is somehow clueless. Sorry it didn't work. You just made a fool out of yourself again.... well except among your fellow fools of course.