NGT

May 11, 2012
New Orleans
✟7,622.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Christians believe that God created humans, and that humans did not evolve from earlier life forms. If that is the case, and that humans' existence didn't happen through the marvels of nature and science, then who/what created God? How did he first come into existence? (If you are willing to apply the answers "He just is." or "He was just always there.", then why can't the same view be applied to the scientific matter that could have evolved into all of our species, including us?)

Thanks.

athenken

Barbary pirates? Or are they?
Nov 30, 2011
West Texas
✟27,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The answer to "who made God?"

He always was.

The answer to "then why can't the same view be applied to the scientific matter that could have evolved into all of our species, including us?"

Because God created it. Therefore, prior to God creating it, it did not exist. It is that simple.

Upvote 0

NGT

May 11, 2012
New Orleans
✟7,622.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
He always was.

Okay, so then if you choose to believe that he was just always there and didn't need to be created, then obviously there shouldn't be anything wrong with people applying the same logic, and believing that the initial biological matter of the world was just there, and didn't need to be created by God.

Upvote 0

athenken

Nov 30, 2011
West Texas
✟27,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, so then if you choose to believe that he was just always there and didn't need to be created, then obviously there shouldn't be anything wrong with people applying the same logic, and believing that the initial biological matter of the world was just there, and didn't need to be created by God.

Actually it did. The Earth and the Universe was not always there. God created it, therefore, it did not exist until He created it. The definition of create is to "make something out of nothing". Only God can do that.

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2011
✟8,006.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

You have gotten pretty much the only answer you will get. If you believe God created everything, then you cannot believe that anything could exist without a God.

edit to add, I asked a similar question and got nowhere http://www.christianforums.com/t7652153/

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Christians believe that God created humans, and that humans did not evolve from earlier life forms. If that is the case, and that humans' existence didn't happen through the marvels of nature and science, then who/what created God? How did he first come into existence? (If you are willing to apply the answers "He just is." or "He was just always there.", then why can't the same view be applied to the scientific matter that could have evolved into all of our species, including us?)

Thanks.
It could and not all Christians believe humans did not evolve from earlier life forms.

Upvote 0

athenken

Nov 30, 2011
West Texas
✟27,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Honest question... Are there any verses or stories in the Bible that address how God came into existence, or how he had always been there?

John 1-5

1 (A)In the beginning was (B)the Word, and the Word was (C)with God, and (D)the Word was God. 2 [a]He was in the beginning with God. 3 (E)All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. 4 (F)In Him was life, and the life was (G)the Light of men. 5 (H)The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not [b]comprehend it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NGT

May 11, 2012
New Orleans
✟7,622.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
In the beginning, God----
But this refers to the beginning of the Earth (and universe). What about God before he created the universe? Who wrote the Book of Genesis? They must have been told exactly how the story happened by God or whomever it was passed down to by Adam and Eve. Did Adam and Eve not think to question God about who he was? I would think they knew a little about God's background. They were obviously curious people.

I just like to know a little background about the main character of a book when I read it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
But this refers to the beginning of the Earth (and universe). What about God before he created the universe? Who wrote the Book of Genesis? They must have been told exactly how the story happened by God or whomever it was passed down to by Adam and Eve. Did Adam and Eve not think to question God about who he was? I would think they knew a little about God's background. They were obviously curious people.

I just like to know a little background about the main character of a book when I read it.
I don't believe in the inerrancy of the bible so I cannot engage you on these issues. I believe the Bible, although written by human being, contains some divine truth; and I don't know that in the beginning would be limited to the beginning of the universe--perhaps the beginning of time. I think you know a little about God since you are a creation of His and I believe like every human being He has written some things on your heart. Some of these same things that were written on the hearts of the authors of the bible and therefore some of what the Bible teaches is divine truth--in my opinion.

Upvote 0

elopez

Oct 11, 2010
Lansing, MI
✟18,206.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Christians believe that God created humans, and that humans did not evolve from earlier life forms.
Correction. YEC's believe that evolution is false. Not all Christians are YEC's. So, not all Christians believe that humans did not evolve. I happen to be one.

If that is the case, and that humans' existence didn't happen through the marvels of nature and science, then who/what created God? How did he first come into existence? (If you are willing to apply the answers "He just is." or "He was just always there.", then why can't the same view be applied to the scientific matter that could have evolved into all of our species, including us?)
That is not the case as man's existence did happen through nature yet guided by God. Now I don't really understand what relevance evolution happening or not has to your question, but we can say that all Christians believe God is eternal. That means there was no origin to God. Like you said, He has always existed. It cannot be applied to us because obviously we do have an origin.

Upvote 0

NGT

May 11, 2012
New Orleans
✟7,622.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It cannot be applied to us because obviously we do have an origin.

I say that it cannot be applied to God because (for the sake of argument) God exists and anything that exists has to have an origin. The main problem I'm encountering here is that many of the arguments being thrown out here can be applied using identical logic to other beliefs.

Upvote 0

athenken

Nov 30, 2011
West Texas
✟27,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I say that it cannot be applied to God because (for the sake of argument) God exists and anything that exists has to have an origin. The main problem I'm encountering here is that many of the arguments being thrown out here can be applied using identical logic to other beliefs.

Here is where you are wrong. God has always existed as He is outside of time. Only what He has created has a beginning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

renewed21

what are you waiting for?
Apr 5, 2012
at my house
✟6,374.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Thanks.
This leads me into why does matter and evrything in the universe behave as it does? was it created with the intrinsic properties our are they "just that way"?

Thanks

Full disclosure: I fall into line with theist evolution/ creationism

Upvote 0

NGT

May 11, 2012
New Orleans
✟7,622.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
was it created with the intrinsic properties our are they "just that way"?

Admittedly, this is my whole point here. If people are able to so readily accept that God was always there, and that he was always "just that way", then why is it so farfetched for somebody to use that same ideology about something else, like biological matter... that the matter came together and formed into organisms, and became humans, because "that's just how it was".

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Thanks.

God was not created. He is the Creator.

I AM the GOD of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob! - YouTube

Upvote 0

renewed21

what are you waiting for?
Apr 5, 2012
at my house
✟6,374.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Admittedly, this is my whole point here. If people are able to so readily accept that God was always there, and that he was always "just that way", then why is it so farfetched for somebody to use that same ideology about something else, like biological matter... that the matter came together and formed into organisms, and became humans, because "that's just how it was".

I understand your point.

For me, I see it as the universe that we know of, could most likely come from the Big Bang. Throw in fundamental Laws of physics and viola an incomprehensibly vast universe. My mind reads : creation.

Then you get into the energitics/ thermodynamics etc. of organic gases-> biological molecules -> single cell organisms -> complex organisms.

I'm not sure that people actually grash how amazingly complex and overwhelmingly unlikely these colossal steps proposed to have been taken. My mind reads: God's hand.

But I think an important question to ask is that matter had to come from somewhere and some time or it was just always there. Now we get into the realm of the utterly insufficient human mind.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0