Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In these trying times, a recap of my anecdotal observations, of both believers and non-believers - people in general, in our society and not elsewhere....

Many people have been living beyond their means, some within their means, and fewer still, under their means.

For those that have living beyond their means, the current economic climate does not bode well for them. Some realize the folly of this now, and are trying to live within their means.

Others live within their means. And for many in this group, this is their goal. And because they have been living within their means, they for the most part have confidence in weathering the storm.

Fewer still, live under their means. (IMO, few of us have even considered this concept of living under our means.) This group has chosen - a conscious decision - to live a life well below their financial capability.

Where are you?

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

We are living below our means. We always have, because we believe in being frugal. There is not much that we want or need. For that reason we are debt-free, have a nice nest egg laid up, investments, our cars are paid off (well, almost paid off but soon will be), a new home, are able to help our kids, and support our church and charities.

~Jim
The Bible is so simple you have to have help to misunderstand it.

Upvote 0
L

LaffyTaffy

We are living below our means. We always have, because we believe in being frugal. There is not much that we want or need. For that reason we are debt-free, have a nice nest egg laid up, investments, our cars are paid off (well, almost paid off but soon will be), a new home, are able to help our kids, and support our church and charities.

~Jim
The Bible is so simple you have to have help to misunderstand it.
I knew it. Jim really is a closet wofer. ;)

Just kidding, Jimbeaux.

Upvote 0

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Just kidding, Jimbeaux.
Since you've raised it, I dare say there are believers who see God not only as their bank, but their credit company, with the expectation that God would ultimately "fund" their credit purchases.

[Note that I simply wrote 'believers' and not in reference or implication to any particular group, so no debates on it.]

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
In these trying times, a recap of my anecdotal observations, of both believers and non-believers - people in general, in our society and not elsewhere....

Many people have been living beyond their means, some within their means, and fewer still, under their means.

For those that have living beyond their means, the current economic climate does not bode well for them. Some realize the folly of this now, and are trying to live within their means.

Others live within their means. And for many in this group, this is their goal. And because they have been living within their means, they for the most part have confidence in weathering the storm.

Fewer still, live under their means. (IMO, few of us have even considered this concept of living under our means.) This group has chosen - a conscious decision - to live a life well below their financial capability.

Where are you?

Well, I guess I am in the "within" my means. What I have been making this past year has supplied what I've "needed" and only what I've needed. A year ago I could not even do that so I am not complaining. I don't have any debt and I also don't have any savings. I've tried to save but with the limited money coming in that is nearly impossible...but I keep trying when I can.

Work has been slow. I have not had a trip in 2 1/2 days. Am I getting a bit uneasy? Yes. But I know that God is the supplier.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are retired, living on our retirement and within our means, able to help our children a little and help others in need. Our means is not excessive, my husband lost his retirement through a mandated buyout from his company and I lost my retirement through a company bankruptcy. So out retirement is limited. We have a house paid for, cars paid for and no debt. Our needs are not great

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
We live under our means and have no debt. As for people trusting God to pay off their credit, He will as long as you listen to dont do it again for true faith in God is that He will supoplky and if He doesnt then we dont really need it, Credit is not a part of Gods plan

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Just kidding, Jimbeaux.
^_^

No, I don’t believe prosperity works like magic. But I believe that the Bible has good financial advice that, if heeded (more in spirit than in letter), will help a person to live within their means. And if a person can live within (or even below) their means they will naturally prosper over time. It’s common sense (aka, faith), not magic.

~Jim
The world is composed of givers and takers.
The takers may eat better, but the givers sleep better.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
^_^

No, I don’t believe prosperity works like magic. But I believe that the Bible has good financial advice that, if heeded (more in spirit than in letter), will help a person to live within their means. And if a person can live within (or even below) their means they will naturally prosper over time. It’s common sense (aka, faith), not magic.

~Jim

Jim, I agree with the point you are making, however, I believe "magic" is an unfair characterization.

I don't know any mature WOF'er who thinks it's by magic.
While I would not characterize myself as WOF now, I have never once thought it was magic. There have been times when God literally did dump money down in front of me. Then there were other times where He showed me the tangible steps to take in order to get out of the mess I was in.

I know the comment was not specifically about "me" but as someone who understands and accepts "some" of the WOF teaching I don't consider it to come by magic. God is my supplier. I do what He shows me to do, but I depend totally on Him for the outcome. I know He will never leave me or forsake me. I know that I'm not to worry about what I will wear or eat or whether I will have a roof over my head or not. He promises that He knows I need these things and He will supply. I do think that what I profess is important...if I'm always professing failure, then I think failure will follow me. That is, in my opinion faith and not a dependence on magic. Again, I know a lot of WOF'er's and I don't know any of them that think it's magic.

I don't want to get into a big wof battle here but I just wanted to clear that up. :)

Reactions: lovesblessing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Over our means. We have to use some loan money until my wife graduates to make ends meet. We are also still paying for bad financial decisions I made years ago.

(t1 braces for comments)

Most of us have made mistakes. Welcome to real life. :wave:

I'm still paying for a few of mine as well, and life goes on.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Over our means. We have to use some loan money until my wife graduates to make ends meet. We are also still paying for bad financial decisions I made years ago.

(t1 braces for comments)

I've made bad choices too. I no longer have any debts but getting to that place was torturous and accomplished per my only choice. God is faithful though. I'm makeing much better decisions today and I'm seeing God meet my needs in better ways than I ever could do.

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
used to live above, now living at, hope to live below

That's where I am too. I'm living "at" right now because I'm working my way out of debt. In a few years the income that goes to debt will be funneled to savings instead.

That is, it will happen that way if I'm still single and childless in a few years. Which, hopefully I won't be. And then... I don't know what my situation will be.

I'm not concerned about it though. I plan to be frugal in the future no matter what the specific circumstances or debt to income ratio or whatever.

I've learned my lesson on credit and spending the hard way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private

(t1 braces for comments)

IMO, the past doesnt matter, what matters is what you are doing about it now.

I'm also in the position of having to pay for some bad financial decisions I made years ago. I've cleared the majority of it however it does take time

Upvote 0

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
^_^

~Jim
"The best kept secret in the 20th century is the power of time and compound interest." Albert Einstein

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I have been in a financial hole before and had to dig my way out, In the process, I learned the joy of the frugal lifestyle. I am an older man now and have happily learned my mistakes in enough time to be able to avoid unnecessary debt and save and invest enough to live comfortably and below my income.

There are advantages to growing older ^_^ (providing you learn along the way).

~Jim

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.