Dec 25, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
✟10,009.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus told us that when we fast, we’re not to be like others who let others know about it. He didn’t say if we fast, but when we fast. This means that we are to fast sometimes.

Recently, I wrote out some of the reasons for fasting:

Fast to get free from the past.
Fast to prepare for the future.
Fast to overcome difficulties.
Fast to remove toxins from your body.
Fast for the sake of discipline.
Fast in order to slow down in life.
Fast in order to think more clearly.
Fast to get answers from God.
Fast to draw near to the Beloved.
Fasting helps stir up the gifts of the Spirit.
Fasting purifies the heart and soul.
Fasting helps in weight loss.

It starts with a desire and a purpose in mind. It can’t be done in your own strength. If you set your heart on it, you will succeed.

You set aside a time that is right for the fast. You pray and ask the Father to help you with it. You seek Him with your whole heart.

You begin the fast. If you’re new at fasting, you start with no longer than one day. If you take medication, it’s best not to fast longer than a meal or two.

If you take supplements, you don’t take them the day of the fast. You drink plenty of water – not tap, but bottled or otherwise purified.

You trust the Lord to lead you in any activity performed on the day of your fast. You seek Him with all your heart. You pray. You read the Bible. You write down things He shares with you.

Ann Doupont
November 11, 2006

P.S. I know that there are those who say that fasting includes giving up other things, other than food. What I am referring to is a Biblical fast; that is, giving up food.